Odell Beckham promises “none of the extra stuff”

FILE - In this Jan. 3, 2016, file photo, New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham (13) tries to avoid a tackle by Philadelphia Eagles safety Ed Reynolds (30) during the third quarter of an NFL football game in East Rutherford, N.J. Odell Beckham Jr. has been the team’s big-play threat in his two seasons. Last year, he did it almost by himself because the team didn’t have a consistent No. 2 receiver.  (AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File) AP

The issue of Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham’s behavior made it all the way to the Vatican this week, which is a pretty good sign that it has become an issue that the team would be better off not having on their plate as they try to end a two-game losing streak against the Packers this weekend.

On Thursday, Beckham said that it would stop.

“I think it’s gotten to a point where I just want to compete,” Beckham said, via ESPN.com. “None of the extra stuff. I just want to compete. That never seems to be the case. You just keep smiling. It’ll be straight. It’ll all work itself out. We’ll start winning some games and help pick up this offense. The thing that kills me is that I remember when I was a kid. I remember when I looked up to someone and watched them, emulated them. What I’m doing is not something I would want a 6-year-old boy to be out there and learn from. Honestly, as funny as it sounds, that’s really all I care about.”

Beckham’s ability to stick with his vow to eliminate the “extra stuff” may be tested by opposing players who have seen Beckham lose his cool thanks to extracurricular activities. While Giants offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan slammed players who might go that route, Beckham said he would do the same thing himself so he should be well on guard for any provocations that could set off another outburst.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Odell Beckham promises “none of the extra stuff””
  1. sportmigos says: Oct 6, 2016 5:27 PM

guy needs 2 be suspended for his antics smh think of the kids.

2. barsfordays says: Oct 6, 2016 5:32 PM

Insane talent, insane headcase. This dude is about to have a meltdown, T.O. style.

3. doomsdaydefensetx says: Oct 6, 2016 5:33 PM

Luckily for you the cheese heads DBs are good guys. Someone will break u

4. grimnancy says: Oct 6, 2016 5:41 PM

Might work for a game or two, but I’m betting more abuse will be heaped upon inanimate objects as his stats continue to decline.

5. pacoastbirdinals says: Oct 6, 2016 5:41 PM

Extra stuff? Like not getting showed up by a kicking net?

6. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 6, 2016 5:43 PM

Odell ,take this from an old head,,, don’t change your ways that’s what makes you great ,,,, But,,,, and it’s a BIG BUT ,, make your opponent change his ways ,,, beat him down and then beat him down again and then beat him down again and then just go back to the huddle they will quit every time !

7. traevin says: Oct 6, 2016 5:47 PM

As a Cowboys fan, I hope Beckham makes good on his promise. For all the negativity that comes his way, at the heart of it all – much like his pal, Dez – is an electric player, a great competitor, a fiery athlete with few equals, and a football player who simply makes the game more fun to watch.

I truly hope he succeeds; except in the games where he’s playing Dallas, of course😉

8. collectordude says: Oct 6, 2016 5:54 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

9. bert1913 says: Oct 6, 2016 5:55 PM

10. getadealdonealready says: Oct 6, 2016 6:08 PM

The guy struggles to beat man coverage. Above average NFL WR’s make teams pay for playing man coverage, that makes this guy…..you guessed it average, maybe cut the OBJ stories down to 10 a day until he shows he can beat man/press coverage on a consistent basis.

11. richardparker123 says: Oct 6, 2016 6:10 PM

Beckham needs help. It may not be any of our interests as football fans (especially non-Giants fans) but as human beings, this young man is heading 90 miles an hour towards a nervous breakdown.

His latest “I’m gonna keep my cool” rhetoric is in direct response to his coaches saying if he doesn’t, he’s going to be benched. Predicable, but doesn’t solve the problem. And it won’t last.

He needs therapy. There are anger management, emotional control/intelligence issues here situationally that makes him a powder keg–every play, every down. That puts everyone’s safety at risk.

I think the Packers defensive backfield will keep it classy, but who knows? They stink of late, so they’d just better focus on covering the Giants receivers and not intentionally needling Beckham to evoke a meltdown response–though it will be tempting because it takes so little.

12. yesser12 says: Oct 6, 2016 6:14 PM

Compulsive liar

13. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 6, 2016 6:17 PM

Dudes on here need aren’t even in the same stratosphere as what this man has to do every Sunday most of these posters can’t even get up the motivation to take out the trash

14. pftcancer says: Oct 6, 2016 6:18 PM

I have to say, he’s either wise or cunning, to say that. YES, it IS about those young impressionable kids. They really need good role models, and right now, OBJ is NOT a good role model. I hope he can honestly change and show these kids the reward of hard work and responsibility. That might help to cure our millennial problem, hopefully.

You’ve made your money, now make your legacy and respect the game. It’s not to late to change your attitude young man.

15. pacoastbirdinals says: Oct 6, 2016 6:20 PM

This is great. At this rate Jordan Matthews will become the best WR in the NFC East. Who would have thought? Classic!

16. abninf says: Oct 6, 2016 6:20 PM

elmerbrownelmerbrown says:

Odell ,take this from an old head,,, don’t change your ways
    ==================================

I think his entire team would disagree with you. He can still make plays without having hissyfits and literally crying tears and making himself the laughingstock of the league like he is right now.

17. xenova1 says: Oct 6, 2016 6:32 PM

What is it about the wide receiver position that makes them divas? Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, through today. Forgot to mention Freddie Mitchell.

Use someone like Calvin Johnson as your role model.

18. omen316 says: Oct 6, 2016 6:33 PM

All.you guys hoping for a breakdown or suspension are pathetic. If he sticks to this statement, y’all really gonna be hating on him. Go Giants!!!

19. dejc421 says: Oct 6, 2016 6:40 PM

It’s all about OBJ …. look at me!!

20. blackshirtz says: Oct 6, 2016 6:47 PM

I sure hope so… my fantasy team is 1-3 as a result of your crappy start! Hell 2 more yards last week and I win. Get it together man!

21. tout86 says: Oct 6, 2016 6:50 PM

It’s easier to get into Beckham’s head than a 12-year old middle school girl. It doesn’t take much to knock Beckham off his game.

22. tindeaux says: Oct 6, 2016 6:51 PM

it’d better be “none of the extra stuff” or else you’ll be suspended, Odell.
    It’s for you, not for us #smh

23. djvh2 says: Oct 6, 2016 7:09 PM

I am a Packer fan, but the annoying Viking trolls are right. Green Bay is very weak over the middle on 3rd and long. It always seems they do well on 1st and 2nd down, then give up a 1st down pass in a wide-open middle of the field. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Beckham get a lot of 3rd down conversions on slant patterns. Heck, even Diggs did well against Green Bay. I expect Beckham to have a big day, but hope not.

24. nite2al says: Oct 6, 2016 7:31 PM

What about the hair?

25. corduroy88 says: Oct 6, 2016 8:09 PM

“odell sounds normal when he’s not in the heat of the battle, let’s see how he acts when a db is in his grille.”

So claiming the refs are singling him out and just from tying his shoes he gets a penalty is normal?

I’m not going to sit here and say he is a bad person because none of us know, but the dude is immature and borderline delusional.

26. kingpel says: Oct 6, 2016 8:14 PM

Rams vs Giants in a couple of weeks in London is going to be a free for all. I expect ejections.

27. redzonerambler says: Oct 6, 2016 8:18 PM

I am glad to hear him acknowledge that what he is doing is not the way he wants to influence kids. Not a Giants fan, but I remember some interviews with Beckham that seemed fun and lighthearted. That really seemed to be the fire to his competitiveness, not all the stuff we had seen lately. If he drops the unsportsmanlike behavior, I may become a fan of his again. What he does on the field when he is in the right mental state is amazing.

28. bleedingfacemask says: Oct 6, 2016 8:20 PM

OBJ is such a tease…

29. nomoreseasontix says: Oct 6, 2016 8:28 PM

He’s one hell of a receiver, but he needs to pump the brakes on the diva stuff. It can kill a career.
    Ask TO. He could have been thought of as the best receiver of his time. He’s mostly remembered as a pain in the butt diva. And his career was probably 4 years shorter than it could have been. Nobody wanted him. He was too much trouble.
    He was a diva.
    Learn the lesson young man.

30. arwiv says: Oct 6, 2016 8:56 PM

No cb in the game can cover him straight up…..I have no possible idea what odell games getadealdonealready is talking about. He does need to calm down on the field….I couldnt care less what he does on the sideline.

The main problem with the Giants right now is eli playing scared and mcadoo calling a lousy offensive game. Odell is a just a juicy story, but his antics didnt cost the Giants 2 games.

31. jmscooby says: Oct 6, 2016 9:29 PM

Reading about the NFL is no longer fun for me…

32. rufustfirefly1303 says: Oct 6, 2016 9:39 PM

Thats the reaction id expect from a guy with anger issues. At least he will always have his highlight

33. hawkwind8 says: Oct 6, 2016 9:49 PM

arwiv says:
    Oct 6, 2016 8:56 PM

No doubt. Eli pretends to be pissed at Odell, but he is happy to have a diversion away from his crappy play…. Eli is not the same QB that won two SB’s.

34. cadreamer1969 says: Oct 6, 2016 9:54 PM

You and the other divas that are only interested in their brand forget it’s a team game.

35. dmitch063 says: Oct 6, 2016 10:12 PM

Just breathe O’Dell, Xavier and Harry shut down Calvin j. and julio also.

36. Angry Orange Man says: Oct 6, 2016 10:56 PM

I wasn’t expecting that. It’s true though, kids look up to him. I’ve seen quite a few with that ridiculous hair style already. I hope he busts out soon. It’ll be nice to talk about some catches instead of some outbursts.

37. teal379 says: Oct 7, 2016 7:55 AM

elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    Oct 6, 2016 6:17 PM

The guy might be the weakest I’ve ever seen someone mentally.

Veteran – 2002-2006, I’ve seen mentally strong people, things a lot worse than some DB giving a little extra shove till the whistle goes off.

OBJ isn’t in the same stratosphere as your average boot when it comes to mental toughness.

38. xinellum says: Oct 7, 2016 9:34 AM

It is funny that if a good player get busted for smoking dope, the team reaches out and helps him through. If he gets busted for PED’s and is good en0ugh, even if it is a 10 game suspension, they help them through, give them support, help them figure it out. With OBJ, who clearly has issues dealing with his anger, with loss, etc… gets lambasted by the QB, by the former coach and anyone else who has a mouth to beat on this young man with. This is not how you go about dealing with those issues. Funny, but the medical community has convinced the world that doing drugs is an illness, yet mental and psychological issues are treated as though the remedy is to call out and downgrade the person with the issue, insult them and treat them like they are dirt. OBJ needs help to deal with his issues, his team and teammates insulting him is not exactly providing help.

39. jag1959 says: Oct 7, 2016 10:01 AM

“What I’m doing is not something I would want a 6-year-old boy to be out there and learn from. Honestly, as funny as it sounds, that’s really all I care about.”

Too bad he didn’t start caring about that sooner. For whatever reason kids locked on to Beckham almost immediately. Our 2 young grandsons would yell ‘Odell!’ as they tossed the ball back and forth. We had 2 of his jerseys under the Christmas tree for them last year, after he launched at Norman we returned them.

40. billybmore says: Oct 7, 2016 12:08 PM

Promise???

41. syrnyg says: Oct 7, 2016 1:19 PM

I think some of this is just over the top crap because he is a superstar.. Yeah he had one incident with Josh Norman, which Josh started by body slamming OBJ and no flag. Yes, OBJ just took it to another level and paid for it.
    In the Vikings game he had a ref (Ed Hochuli the yes I am on TV guy) throw a flag and he was 30 yards away when OBJ was hit out of bounds, there were 2 refs right next to Beckham and the Viking CB. So with that questionable flag, he now has 2 personal fouls this year.. There are players who have done way more than that.. Andre Johnson & Finnegan were swinging fists at each others helmet. Suh keeps on inadvertently stepping on people.. The camera is following him around cause he gets emotional and got punched by a kicking net, and all of a sudden he needs to see a Psychologist. GTFOH