Cam Newton fined $9,115 for taunting Falcons linebacker

Atlanta Falcons outside linebacker Deion Jones (45) makes contact with Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (1) during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore) AP

In the Friday afternoon insult-to-injury category, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was fined for a game he wasn’t even able to finish.

Newton was fined $9,115 for flipping a football in the face of Falcons linebacker Deion Jones last week, a play for which he was penalized during the game.

Coincidentally, Jones was the player who hit Newton in the fourth quarter, as Newton nonchalantly moved toward the goal line on a two-point conversion attempt.

That hit which landed Newton in the concussion protocol and will likely keep him out of Monday’s game with the Buccaneers.

But even Panthers coach Ron Rivera seemed to think his quarterback should have taken steps to protect himself, saying if he was still playing linebacker, he’d have probably taken a similar shot at Newton.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Cam Newton fined $9,115 for taunting Falcons linebacker”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Oct 7, 2016 5:31 PM

At least Cam didn’t twerk. The fines are a whole lot higher for that.

2. joetoronto says: Oct 7, 2016 5:33 PM

Newton is all about himself, he just continues to prove it.

This guy is NOT a leader by any means.

3. vancouversportsbro says: Oct 7, 2016 5:37 PM

Scam Newton

4. mongo3401 says: Oct 7, 2016 5:42 PM

Wonder what a butt fumble would draw now Taunting. Illegal sniffing of an anus

5. gergie1957 says: Oct 7, 2016 5:44 PM

I think Cam is more worried about what he is going to wear to the game and the press conferences afterwards. Get your head back into Football.

6. ariani1985 says: Oct 7, 2016 6:00 PM

do any top tier QBS worry more about their post Game wardrobes than this clown?

7. bucsorbust says: Oct 7, 2016 6:03 PM

Cam should appeal. He can claim due to numerous hits, he was just out of his mind.

8. willycents says: Oct 7, 2016 6:09 PM

Hmmmm. Taunting someone, then, that same player takes him out of the game?
    Maybe the NFL is on to something about taunting fines.

9. riekki says: Oct 7, 2016 6:30 PM

Ron Rivera has remained employed for 6 years, because of Cam Newton.
    Let’s see how long he lasts without him.

10. kepickle says: Oct 7, 2016 6:52 PM

I miss the days of real Football these day it’s all about who kisses who’s ass the best

11. kepickle says: Oct 7, 2016 6:54 PM

if you call yourself a football fan & worry about what a QB wears to his post game interview your NOT a football so stop watching

12. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 7, 2016 7:27 PM

Act like a spoiled child and there are consequences. On the field and off. Deion Jones is a 21 year old late second round rookie, and conducts himself with more class and dignity than the first overall pick of the 2011 draft ever has.

13. jmscooby says: Oct 7, 2016 7:28 PM

I’m not a Cam fan at all, but I will give the guy credit. He went from being a backup to arguably the best college football QB of all time, to transferring, and getting his own Heisman and National Championship. I don’t care about the money under the table to his dad, or the stolen laptop, or anything like that. He may be a douche, but he made it. That’s an accomplishment. What he does from here on out is on him…

14. dirtybird70 says: Oct 7, 2016 7:34 PM

Samw LB that knocked him senseless (and out) later in the game. Karma

15. ad28bestever says: Oct 7, 2016 8:32 PM

I thought he learned his lesson in the Minnesota game. He scored a TD to go up 10-0 and did a 15 minute celebration just to get sacked 8 times, picked off 3 times, and get anilated the rest of the game. I guess if you have anything left Cam, it’s the gift of gab. I’ll take the W’s for my team any day.

16. MD says: Oct 7, 2016 8:45 PM

Elite quarterbacks don’t taunt. Simple fact.

17. bigcid10 says: Oct 7, 2016 8:53 PM

I would put a clause in my contract that specifies
    any fine that I get that is marginal at best
    get’s paid by the team and not by me
    that would put pressure on the owners to stop this crap
    all players should do this
    __________

That is specifically prohibited in the CBA. Fines are deducted from checks and any evidence of teams trying to reimburse or players/ fans taking up collections would result in further, stronger sanctions.

Cam is s clown. It is so fun to watch replays of Panther games and watch him posturing and strutting and doing his Superman thing to rub it in the face of opponents in the first quarter of games. It seems so ridiculous when you know he will be pouting in the forth quarter when the outcome of the game is a Panther loss. But he keeps doing it because he only cares about himself.

19. iseek11 says: Oct 7, 2016 9:26 PM

*fourth quarter

20. deuce2222 says: Oct 7, 2016 10:57 PM

Doesn’t matter. Cam doesn’t remember it……….

21. guitarrebel says: Oct 8, 2016 2:34 AM

Has anyone else noticed that Cam’s teammates don’t rally around him and pick him up off the ground after a hard hit like other teams do for their QB’s?
    For some reason, he’s lost them.
    Going to be a long season for Cam. I wonder if they’ll even have a winning record.

22. racerx1225 says: Oct 8, 2016 2:34 AM

Diva-loser at this point…. Flash in the Pan Cam. Stick a fork in you. You dont have the attitude of a winner. You have the attitude of a little boy with a new toy and now its broken.

Again I will state, I spotted this fraud of a man when he kicked Richard Seymour after being knocked to the ground.

Warren Moon he is definitely not.

23. poguemahonepft says: Oct 8, 2016 7:07 AM

loser

24. chc4 says: Oct 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Anyone that thinks Cam is the best college qb of all time must’ve been born very recently. He is nowhere near that.

25. littleseizures says: Oct 8, 2016 8:17 AM

Cam is a great player. That being said, since the SB loss he has not handled the adversity well. Defenders are getting in his head and his play and behavior reflect that. Block all that junk out and play ball. Focus on leading the team and get the season moving it the right direction. This team is too talented and too well coached for this nonsense.

26. intrafinesse says: Oct 8, 2016 9:05 AM

Newton is just having fun, he’s superman after all.

27. slickspielman says: Oct 8, 2016 10:38 AM

He wasn’t taunting, his stiff arms flapping across his chest and his crossed eyes were the affect of Jones monster hit on him by the goal line. That is nothing to be made fun of or does it deserve a fine. 😂

28. jgedgar70 says: Oct 10, 2016 10:52 AM

jmscooby says:
    Oct 7, 2016 7:28 PM

_____
    You’re on the right track, but let me help you out a little more. NO money exchanged hands when Cam was in college. His dad asked for some, Miss. State refused to comply, and they turned him in. The NCAA, pushed by Crimson Tide people, spent a year trying to prove Cam got paid while he was at Auburn. They had to close the case because they couldn’t find any. Crimson Tide fans, of course, will never accept this because Auburn beat them that year, so they will all go to their graves clinging to the illusion that it was somehow illegitimate. They have continued with it until now, and have managed to convince legions of other people that their delusion is true. So everyone hates Cam for everything he does and says.

I would like to remind you people that Cam has never done anything on a football field that hasn’t been done for years. Google Butch Johnson, The Fun Bunch, and Chad Johnson if your memory is short enough not to witness his antics. Also, keep an eye out for when the NFL Network or ESPN Classic shows NFL Films productions from the 70s and 80s. You will see dozens of shots of players doing the same type of things Cam does, and without any of the clown, immature, me-first and other ridiculous labels people try to attach to Cam today.