Odell Beckham fined $24,309 for unsportsmanlike conduct

New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham (13) talks to officials before an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun) AP

Giants receiver Odell Beckham is in trouble again.

Beckham has been fined $24,309 by the league office for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he picked up on Monday night against the Vikings.

It’s at least the third fine of the season for Beckham, who has also been fined for a touchdown dance and for a blindside hit.

Although Beckham is one of the most talented young players in the NFL, there’s a growing sense around the league that his repeated penalties are detracting from his contributions as a receiver. The NFL suspended Beckham for the last game of last season, and if he doesn’t clean up his act soon, the league or the Giants may decide it’s time to sit him down again.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Odell Beckham fined $24,309 for unsportsmanlike conduct”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Oct 7, 2016 4:26 PM

Watching him self-destruct like this makes me think he might one day be sleeping on Johnny Manziel’s couch.

2. idiedpretty says: Oct 7, 2016 4:31 PM

Love it! Good work NFL!

3. jackedupboonie says: Oct 7, 2016 4:37 PM

Really?? How bout fining the refs 500$ per bs penalty….while we are at it can we fine every non overturned challenge and offsides.

4. donatocha33 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:39 PM

He has the matruity of a 6 year old girl, this never ends well..

5. 4th Down says: Oct 7, 2016 4:39 PM

From B.S.PN …

Odell Beckham was fined $24,309 for unsportsmanlike conduct on Monday night. He has now been fined in 3 of 4 games this season for a total of $72,463.

LMAO !!! Dude is a dumba$$ … lol

6. teal379 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:39 PM

MichaelEdits says:
    Oct 7, 2016 4:26 PM

I don’t see Manziel “investing” in a couch – most likely futon. Used.

7. mykelane says: Oct 7, 2016 4:39 PM

What about the fine for roughing up that kicking net? or was that not a fine because it hit back?

8. peoriaviking says: Oct 7, 2016 4:44 PM

Vikings fan here so opinion is valid. I watched every play of the game and really can’t figure out what he did that was so bad to deserve a 24k fine. He mouthed off to Xavier Rhoades when roads arguably hit him out of bounds. Maybe cause he slightly bumped an official when he was arguing for the call, not sure otherwise. Maybe it was something off camera.

9. exinsidetrader says: Oct 7, 2016 4:45 PM

Can they please fine Referees for incompetence bordering on actively trying to affect the outcome?

10. kenmasters34 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:45 PM

I don’t know what the conduct was, because I haven’t been watching. The game has been terrible.

If it was a fine for excessive celebration, its garbage.

11. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 7, 2016 4:45 PM

Aren’t the amount of these finds ,,,,,,,,,,,, like illegal ?

12. stoneydog1000 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:45 PM

13. jovan19 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:49 PM

24K!!??

14. jimmyjohns01 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:51 PM

Can you at least explain what he did or provide a link?

15. ninefingers9 says: Oct 7, 2016 4:55 PM

…most talented young players…blah blah blah, pfft! He caught 1 one handed catch, big deal.

16. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 7, 2016 4:57 PM

peoriaviking says:
    Oct 7, 2016 4:44 PM

______

The fine is for bumping the official, and perhaps he said something to the official to which we were not privy.

17. famundacheese says: Oct 7, 2016 5:01 PM

Now it isn’t fun and expensive

18. coreycroom says: Oct 7, 2016 5:07 PM

$24,308 I can understand.

But $24,309 just seems like too much.

19. bigjd says: Oct 7, 2016 5:14 PM

I don’t like Beckham at all, but these fines are just getting ridiculous. And they wonder why viewership is down.

20. johnnyballsack says: Oct 7, 2016 5:14 PM

MichaelEdits says:
    Oct 7, 2016 4:26 PM

————————————————————-
    OBJ may lack judgment on the field with penalties, but to compare him to a guy who ran himself out of the league by partying, drugs and alcohol before he ever made a play in the NFL is absurd.

21. coltluger says: Oct 7, 2016 5:20 PM

He will bring misery to every team he’s on. Coaches and GMs need to figure out if the reward is worth the pain.

22. polegojim says: Oct 7, 2016 5:21 PM

The guy can make ONE notable one handed catch… but can’t keep his foot out of his mouth and emotions out off the sideline.

Giants aren’t getting their money’s worth right now.

23. djvh2 says: Oct 7, 2016 5:29 PM

Agree with the Viking fan, I didn’t see that he really did anything other than ask the ref why there was no call for a hit that was made on him OB. This is getting ridiculous. Between this stuff and the protests, it’s getting to where I am considering going shopping with my wife over watching the NFL’s commercials (with games in between).
    I’m already down to watching about 1/3 of what I did last year.

24. maust1013 says: Oct 7, 2016 5:41 PM

polegojim says:
    Oct 7, 2016 5:21 PM

Giants aren’t getting their money’s worth right now.
    ===================

$1.36M this year, what they are paying him is not a concern to the team. What he may not get paid on his next contract should be worrying him though.

25. jackedupboonie says: Oct 7, 2016 5:41 PM

When in doubt, I always ask a Viking fans opinion

26. skol4life says: Oct 7, 2016 5:43 PM

Viking fan here. That’s BS

27. spiffy1001 says: Oct 7, 2016 5:53 PM

In future news… OBJ is running for president.

Everyone hates him, but 40% of the population will vote for him since he has the letter they like next to his name.

28. granadafan says: Oct 7, 2016 5:58 PM

The protests don’t have any bearing on watching a game or not. It’s the constant play stoppages for commercials, ad placements, product placements, which make the game unwatchable for me.

29. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 7, 2016 6:10 PM

@granadafan, wrong thread bud.

As far as Odell, he needs to keep his attitude in check. You never know when a bigger kicking net is going to show up. You know they hunt in packs…

30. ragnarthemagnificent says: Oct 7, 2016 6:48 PM

There is pretty much 1 word you can’t say in front of the refs, and if he said that word, No sympathy. Will the real OBJ please stand up?

31. bigcid10 says: Oct 7, 2016 8:56 PM

If I was a high end nfl player
    I would put a clause in my contract that specifies
    any fine that I get that is marginal at best
    get’s paid by the team and not by me
    that would put pressure on the owners to stop this crap
    all players should do this

32. goskinsgo says: Oct 7, 2016 9:51 PM

“stoneydog1000 says:

Zero teams want Manziel, 32 teams would love to have Beckham. Having hissy fits isn’t a meltdown. He’ll easily get over 1,000 yards receiving again.”

His hissy fits are not the problem, it is his lack of ability to control his temper, which also causes the hissy fits.
    He has a history of cheap shots resulting from this lack of control, costing the team yardage during the games, except for the behind the play cheap shot against the Saints that eluded the on field officials (but not the league).

Once you have a history as being a repeat offender, the league has an eye on you (remember Suh’s issues?) How is this that hard to understand?
    As for 32 team’s that would love his services, I would say once he learns to control his temper possibly. The Giants are very lenient and all the reports have them talking to him for weeks now. What makes you think every other team would be so lenient?
    OBJ is talented no doubt. It is unfortunate that no one has taught him, in all these years, to be a person of character. He is not a child anymore and is paid to be a professional. It’s time he started acting like one.

33. goskinsgo says: Oct 7, 2016 9:53 PM

“bigcid10 says:

If I was a high end nfl player
    I would put a clause in my contract that specifies
    any fine that I get that is marginal at best
    get’s paid by the team and not by me
    …”

Define “marginal”

They would be spending more money fighting each other in court over who pays the fine that what the amount of the fine was for…

34. nyctraffic says: Oct 7, 2016 10:32 PM

He needs to attend the Julio Jones Academy of Having Some Class.

35. midnightcochise says: Oct 8, 2016 3:12 AM

and I always thought the penalty for unsportsmanlike like conduct was – 15 yards

36. hje118 says: Oct 8, 2016 3:42 AM

stoneydog1000 says:
    Oct 7, 2016 4:45 PM
    _______________________________________________

I wouldn’t be so sure. Not many locker rooms want a guy like this around to disrupt the team chemistry. Also he can get all the yards he wants, as long as they keep getting those L’s.

2-3 coming…and counting!!

37. stairwaytoharvin says: Oct 8, 2016 9:28 AM

bigcid10 says:
    Oct 7, 2016 8:56 PM
    If I was a high end nfl player
    I would put a clause in my contract that specifies
    any fine that I get that is marginal at best
    get’s paid by the team and not by me
    that would put pressure on the owners to stop this crap
    all players should do this

4 11

————————————————————-
    NFL rules specifically forbid teams from doing this.

38. youradarnfoo says: Oct 8, 2016 10:12 AM

NFL needs this OBJ drama. Kids got talent, but the book is out on him. shade him over the top and a small WR = public muggings. Big blue will put him in motion more… freeing the butt whooping he’s taking at the snap

39. whenwilliteverend says: Oct 8, 2016 10:54 AM

The only time he makes the headlines anymore is when he has another blowup or costly penalty. He certainly isn’t making headlines with his production.

From good WR to diva in just a year or two. Get ready for the drama-train known as OBJ.