Debate or game? Watch both

HENDERSON, NV - OCTOBER 05:  Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally at the Henderson Pavilion on October 5, 2016 in Henderson, Nevada. Trump is campaigning ahead of the second presidential debate coming up on October 9 with Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.  (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images) Getty Images

The NFL has boasted in the past about being the ultimate reality show. On Sunday night, there’s a new ultimate reality show in town.

Friday’s release of recordings containing wildly over-the-top sexual comments from Donald Trump raises the stakes for Sunday night’s debate. Which could sharply reduce the audience for what should be a very competitive and intriguing (especially with the presence of Odell Beckham Jr.) game between the Giants and the Packers.

Suddenly, the man who would interrogate and sometimes browbeat in his board room contestants on The Apprentice has now become a finalist in a bizarro version of the show, where he and Hillary Clinton will do battle in a town-hall format supposedly consisting of undecided voters asking questions that surely will be influenced by Friday’s events.

How could anyone who cares about the direction of the country and/or wants to see whether Trump can talk his way out of his biggest mess yet not watch? I’ll be watching, and most of you will be, too.

But I’ll be watching both, and it will be very easy for you to do the same.

You can watch the game on NBC and listen to/watch the debate online, via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and plenty of other resources (including NBCNews.com).

You can watch the debate on TV and listen to/watch the game via NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, or on your phone with Verizon’s NFL Mobile app.

You also can watch the game on one digital device and the debate on another one, which plenty will undoubtedly do.

However you choose to do it, you can watch both. And after the debate ends (at roughly 10:30 p.m. ET), slide over to NBC for the rest of the Giants-Packers game.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
58 Responses to “Debate or game? Watch both”
  1. tonebones says: Oct 8, 2016 12:40 PM

I’ll watch football. I don’t really care to hear a sixth grade argument about who said something stupid or anything about emails. That’s not going to affect my kid’s life. But we can be proud knowing that we’re the ones who picked these two, out of millions of Americans, to lead our country. And we’re the same ones who second guess our coaches. Lol. One thing that’s never been better is NFL football.

2. billbrasky72 says: Oct 8, 2016 12:47 PM

Meh. I can watch my 2 year old and 6 year old fight over toys in a more mature manner than our presidential candidates or Odell Beckham Jr.

3. stylzinc says: Oct 8, 2016 12:49 PM

I’ll definitely figure out a way to swing both. I’m just mad I can’t watch the game & the debate at a bar like I normally do on Sunday nites. Too much action.

4. beerbratscheese says: Oct 8, 2016 12:51 PM

If I weren’t a Packers fan, I’d definitely watch the debate. I despise both candidates, and right now I’m am going to vote party line. But I still want to give the other candidate a chance to say something that will sway me.

5. chippys lost binky says: Oct 8, 2016 12:58 PM

tonebones says:
    Oct 8, 2016 12:40 PM
    One thing that’s never been better is NFL football.
    ++++++++++++++++

It has been a lot better and so have it’s TV ratings.

6. revskip says: Oct 8, 2016 1:01 PM

No interest at all in the debate. Will be watching the game.

7. araidersfan says: Oct 8, 2016 1:06 PM

The ‘debate’ should make for good slapstick comedy, but I’ll take football.

8. Raider Jon says: Oct 8, 2016 1:26 PM

Easy. live game and debate highlites.

9. rcali says: Oct 8, 2016 1:27 PM

Baseball Game, debate post-coverage, DVR catch-up. Not interested in Protests. Will read about the game in the morning here. Doesn’t mean I’m not betting the game, just to be clear.

10. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Oct 8, 2016 1:32 PM

I haven’t watched a game all year due to the racist, anti-America players the teams in the league employ.

11. wartface says: Oct 8, 2016 2:29 PM

I’ll watch the game and record the debate on my DVR.

Trump, the outsider, for the White House 2017.

The Hilldabeast for the Big House 2017.😆 She can take Bubba with her too.

12. rootpain says: Oct 8, 2016 2:35 PM

Not going to watch the game or any games. Thinking I will stick to that until Goodell gets fired or until the Superbowl with the Patriots. Will love to see Goodell’s face if he has to hand the trophy to Brady.
    Won’t be watching the debate either. There is nothing either of them have to say of interest and there is nothing anyone can do to prevent one of them from becoming President.
    Both the NFL and the Presidential election are sickening. Amazing.

13. pftisfulloftrolls says: Oct 8, 2016 2:35 PM

Football. The debate is going to be a duel of who can interrupt the other the most.

14. GeauxSaints57 says: Oct 8, 2016 2:44 PM

I don’t miss many NFL games – at least those available to me as a cable customer – but I’ll be watching the debate.

I’ll also be happy when this bizarre campaign is in the rear view mirror. And when (if) the Saints ever find a defense.

15. philipphil says: Oct 8, 2016 2:53 PM

DVR the game and watch the debate.

I’ll fast forward through the commercials and catch up before the game is over.

16. flipola says: Oct 8, 2016 2:53 PM

Debate shmebate, it’s just gonna be more of the same crap we’ve heard for months.

17. olefballcoach says: Oct 8, 2016 3:05 PM

Clinton for Prison!!

18. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Oct 8, 2016 3:06 PM

The stakes in Sunday’s debate are every bit as intriguing as the OJ Simpson car chase was. What’s more exciting than a final stand? Theater at it’s finest!

I’m not sure how I’ll handle the scheduling conflict, but I’ll probably watch the football game and then watch a recording of the debate after consuming nine or ten beers during the football game. (It’ll take at least nine beers to be of right mind for this debate).

19. mcjon22 says: Oct 8, 2016 3:07 PM

Considering both candidates are lunatics, I’ll stick to football.

20. truckinmack says: Oct 8, 2016 3:15 PM

What’s the over/under on players taking a knee during the national anthem, because if it is over zero, I’ll be watching anything but the game.

21. Bluestree says: Oct 8, 2016 4:00 PM

Wonder what the percentage is of those who say they don’t care about the debate even being registered voters.

22. dogfool says: Oct 8, 2016 4:02 PM

I’ll tape the game and catch up on the game via DVR. Although I dislike both candidates Republicans have to win, if only to appoint Judges to Supreme Court!

23. nomoreseasontix says: Oct 8, 2016 4:03 PM

I choose C. Neither.
    Bad politics or bad football…
    How about no.
    NFL in prime time has gotten so bad they’re going to have a hard time selling to the networks when the contract expires.
    Hard to sell a horrible product.

24. cadreamer1969 says: Oct 8, 2016 4:08 PM

I’m bypassing both. The football game is no longer about team and the game. The debate is like a bunch of third graders and that doesn’t include the candidates. In both circumstances the media thinks they are the main subject.

25. valentino8100 says: Oct 8, 2016 4:10 PM

The debate is a waste of time. Neither candidate is worth a flying, well . . .

Aside from that sobering reality, the other unfortunate aspect is that people seem to have in large part already made up their minds regardless of either of these turkeys has to say.

26. rugolin says: Oct 8, 2016 4:29 PM

I just wonder which is more rigged the election or a NFL game.

27. weepingjebus says: Oct 8, 2016 4:31 PM

The last few months of the Obama administration should be a time of joy and national healing, yet here we are. The Democrats even managed to suck the fun out of football.

28. screamingyellowzonkers says: Oct 8, 2016 4:35 PM

It won’t be much of a debate. It will be 90 minutes of trashing Trump by Crooked Hillary and Andy Cooper.

I’d rather watch the NYG trash the pack. Hopefully.😬

29. mmack66 says: Oct 8, 2016 5:01 PM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    Oct 8, 2016 1:32 PM

———————————–

You should just go ahead and move to a country where everyone is forced to think alike.

30. justintuckrule says: Oct 8, 2016 5:05 PM

Trump punking the dumber half of the nation.

31. captainwhodat says: Oct 8, 2016 5:06 PM

a good book is the way to go…

32. justintuckrule says: Oct 8, 2016 5:08 PM

Repubs are so dumb it hurts. They could have had a moderate to fill the seat now. However, their constitutionally improper refusal to vote on a candidate is gonna backfire on them royally once Hillary is elected and she appoints a gay Mexican immigrant. Lolololol

33. ayub04 says: Oct 8, 2016 5:46 PM

Trump and the Republicans are tanking after the October surprise.

34. bkostela says: Oct 8, 2016 5:48 PM

Seeing as how half of the commenters on PFT have stopped watching football due to Goodell and Kaepernick, this shouldn’t be a problem. Just let them know what channel the debate is on.

35. osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says: Oct 8, 2016 5:52 PM

The way guys talk to each all the time is now “wildly over the top?” Huh.

36. rugolin says: Oct 8, 2016 5:52 PM

I was listening to one former NFL executive say “Does Ratings even Matter anymore?” Unless the ratings fall off the cliff by 50 or 60% the NFL is still going to get huge amount of cash from networks who are all competing for their product along with new online players like Twitter who stream. That may explain the lack of concern over losing 10-15% from a peak viewership number as they know a huge amount of football fans are such addicts they will never turn off no matter what goes on.

37. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Oct 8, 2016 5:59 PM

Republicans will never win another election again. Bible thumping bigoted dinosaurs.

38. akboot says: Oct 8, 2016 6:01 PM

————————————-
    That is 100% correct yet there are at least 11 total buffoons out here that are clueless. Easy to look up. But that takes effort and we all know that aint happening.

39. akboot says: Oct 8, 2016 6:04 PM

———————————–
    Do you never get tired of being wrong, a lot? Dumb is continuing to cover for this which and her roommate when you know she is lying.

40. akboot says: Oct 8, 2016 6:05 PM

witch.
    oops

41. bchap17 says: Oct 8, 2016 6:12 PM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    Oct 8, 2016 1:32 PM

————————————
    So now they’re racist for wanting equality?

You know what they say about people with a finger pointed at someone…

42. campcouch says: Oct 8, 2016 6:14 PM

If you don’t know who you’re voting for by now, you shouldn’t vote. Football!

43. jerrysglassescleaner says: Oct 8, 2016 6:23 PM

Donald Trump will save us. The democrats have been abusing the system long enough. If you own a new iphone and have to beg for food stamps, you are what’s wrong with this country. Save us Donald!

44. leatherface2012 says: Oct 8, 2016 6:25 PM

trump is still the only viable choice…if cankles gets in, supreme court will be lefty for the next 30 years. also a ton and i mean a ton of un-vetted terrorists flowing into the country…also, i doubt if packer fans even know there is an election a month from today.

45. janvanflac says: Oct 8, 2016 6:44 PM

I don’t know, with Trump circling the drain, the debate could be pretty entertaining to watch….more entertaining than the Giants offense for sure.

46. lindacaseauthor says: Oct 8, 2016 7:05 PM

I’ll record the game but most definitely watch the debate–I want to see how Trump the Sexual Predator attempts to defend the indefensible.

47. senatorblutarsky says: Oct 8, 2016 7:09 PM

I think I’ll opt for the debate. I want to see dumpster trump’s head explode.

48. tjacks7 says: Oct 8, 2016 7:12 PM

I’ve been eligible to vote since 2007. I haven’t voted yet. Politics are nothing but corruption and the two party system has out-lived it’s purpose. I have two TVs next to each other so I’ll listen to the debate. But, there hasn’t been a good candidate in the U.S. for decades which is why we are where we are.

49. senatorblutarsky says: Oct 8, 2016 7:16 PM

pftisfulloftrolls says:
    Oct 8, 2016 2:35 PM

_______________

Paying attention? The only interruptions are done by the know nothing, big mouthed dumpster fire trump.

50. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Oct 8, 2016 7:18 PM

Or you can do what most people actually do, watch one and DVR the other. Shocked you forgot to mention that option while shilling for your boss’s products

51. senatorblutarsky says: Oct 8, 2016 7:21 PM

rugolin says:
    Oct 8, 2016 4:29 PM

I just wonder which is more rigged the election or a NFL game.
    __________________

Rigged? Oh, the inane gullibility. Too much Fox News.

52. patriotsticketssince1978 says: Oct 8, 2016 7:36 PM

The NFL fought for the right to have one guy decide to do what he wants. He’s proven time and time again to be a liar with no integrity. They won in court, he can do whatever he wants including affecting the outcome of games by suspending players. This in essence ruined the integrity of the game and any outcome can no longer be trusted.

I’ll watch the Patriots and go to their games. I support the players of all teams.

I won’t watch any other games or buy any gear, food, beer sold for profit.

53. justsayin70 says: Oct 8, 2016 7:37 PM

Neither

54. bsizemore68 says: Oct 8, 2016 7:51 PM

What did any body expect, this info is the tip of the iceberg, so much more dirt is coming, I think the Donald may have reach his waterloo.Bill

55. rugolin says: Oct 8, 2016 9:28 PM

senatorblutarsky says:
    Oct 8, 2016 7:21 PM

rugolin says:
    Oct 8, 2016 4:29 PM

I just wonder which is more rigged the election or a NFL game.
    __________________

Rigged? Oh, the inane gullibility. Too much Fox News.

———————————————————

You mean the system is not rigged where the only candidates are both two millionaires with deep connections and feudal obligations to crony capitalists and Wall St. Just check the list of Goldman Sachs employees who have worked in Obama and Bush White Houses.

56. shlort says: Oct 8, 2016 10:13 PM

The debates are useless information. The liberalization efforts are in full swing in the USA. There is nothing to learn by watching the debates except the media is extremely biased in their reporting and it glares during debates.

Will I watch the game? Maybe a little bit of it. I have to get up early and go to work so I can support further liberalization of this country and “pay my fair share”. You know, if you work you need to pay a lot of taxes to pay for liberal politicians promises and votes.

57. filthymcnasty3 says: Oct 9, 2016 12:59 PM

I’ll admit it – I’m a little conflicted. I might watch those two guys go at it in the debate.

58. gfan8611 says: Oct 9, 2016 5:32 PM

Football. Neither Trump nor Clinton is worthy of the Presidency, IMO, so why bother listening to more of their lies. I’m not a multi-millionaire/billionaire so neither actually cares about my opinion so why should I care about theirs?