Jerick McKinnon fined for touchdown celebration

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - OCTOBER 3: Jerick McKinnon #21 of the Minnesota Vikings carries the ball in the first half of the game against the New York Giants on October 3, 2016 at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Adam Bettcher/Getty Images) Getty Images

Vikings running back Jerick McKinnon delivered the dagger on Monday night, scoring a touchdown that turned a seven-point lead into the 24-10 final score. He celebrated in a manner that will cost him $12,154.

According to the league, the NFL imposed the fine for McKinnon’s post-score dance. Described in other places as a fine for “excessive” celebration, the fine actually arose from the moment when McKinnon, as Marshawn Lynch would describe it, grabbed his ding-ding.

NFL senior V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino explained in his weekly video for the media that sexually-suggestive celebrations will trigger flags and fines. McKinnon’s celebration was used as one of the examples of such violations.

The officials missed the move, which meant that the Vikings didn’t kick off from their own 20. Which surely saved the player from having a foot in his butt from Mike Zimmer as the follow-up to McKinnon’s hand on his ding-ding.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Jerick McKinnon fined for touchdown celebration”
  1. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Oct 8, 2016 10:11 AM

Good player! I wondered if I was seeing things when he grabbed the old Johnson. GO PACK!!

2. MichaelEdits says: Oct 8, 2016 10:46 AM

I’d rather him grab his own ding-ding than grab somebody else’s.

3. pkrlvr says: Oct 8, 2016 10:49 AM

Classy

4. 60for90 says: Oct 8, 2016 10:50 AM

Is the NFL turning into a strip club or what?

5. skol4life says: Oct 8, 2016 10:58 AM

What would be shocking is if someone ran over and handed the ball to the ref and ran to the sideline like Barry Sanders.

6. justintuckrule says: Oct 8, 2016 11:00 AM

Yup. No flag for the 8 second crotch grab. OB rolled his eyes at it and got a 15 yarder

7. frank booth says: Oct 8, 2016 11:04 AM

At least he grabbed his own.

8. tremoluxman says: Oct 8, 2016 11:24 AM

I’m a Viking fan and I don’t like these stupid ‘celebrations’.
    C’mon, Jerrick. You’re better than that so knock it off and just let your skill speak for itself.

9. grogansheroes says: Oct 8, 2016 11:55 AM

The NFL says the fine money is donated to charity. Has anyone heard or seen what charities it goes to? I bet this is how Roger gets paid. Another of the small, seemingly insignificant ways Herr Roger is ruining the NFL. It is not one big thing, but fifty small things. I love football, hate the NFL.Now, I only watch the home team, cancelled Red Zone, do not watch other games. And apparently, I am not the only one.

10. MichaelEdits says: Oct 8, 2016 11:57 AM

Back when I was a teacher, I’m glad my students didn’t celebrate their test scores this way.

11. gaetz23 says: Oct 8, 2016 12:42 PM

Next time, he’ll have to leap into the stands and let the fans do the touching for him.

12. ryanvanslooten says: Oct 8, 2016 1:02 PM

I hate all these fines, but I have to agree with this one. I saw him do it and wondered where the flag was. He got lucky they missed it, but it would’ve been deserved. Show some class, act like you’ve been there before, and be a professional. It’s not that hard! – Die hard Vikings fan.

13. wafflestomp says: Oct 8, 2016 1:10 PM

Those Barneys certainly are a classy bunch and, of course, the refs kept their flags deep in their pockets.
    Such is today’s NFL.

14. olefballcoach says: Oct 8, 2016 1:51 PM

All players should come up with a sign to tell Roger to go to hell and use it every time they score!! If they get fined or suspened it would be a huge hit to the NFL and the ratings when they have scrubs left playing.. It would be like a strike all over again!!!

15. codythao35 says: Oct 8, 2016 2:33 PM

Should grab Goodell’s and squeez them hard to explode.

16. upnorthvikesfan says: Oct 8, 2016 2:54 PM

I love Jerick and I think Zimmer is one of the best coaches in the league. But the fine was justified. I would have even more respect for Zimmer (and any other coach for that matter) if he were to put his foot down and tell the entire team to “act like you’ve been there before” and insist no players dance around after a TD.

17. butski29 says: Oct 8, 2016 3:29 PM

As a Vikes fan, I am surprised Zimmer allows any celebrations. He is usually all business. If I was Zim, I would be telling the boys that anybody who does anything other than give the ball to the ref after a score, will sit the rest of the game and be inactive the next week. Many wouldn’t like it, but then it isn’t a Democracy either. Just sayin’.

18. vikesfansteve says: Oct 8, 2016 4:36 PM

Could have caused a penalty for the Giants to get into the game. Reminds me of when Winfield humped the goal post against the Saints. Selfish move.

19. purpleguy says: Oct 8, 2016 6:27 PM

I’m still trying to figure out what the hell a sleeping motion, then dance move, followed by a crotch-grab actually means — he went to sleep, had a bad dream, then had to take a whiz?.

20. lambeaudungbarn says: Oct 8, 2016 6:37 PM

You wonder why TV ratings are down?
    I am a Vikings fan, but with all the crap these guys are pulling League Wide these days I cant help to think THIS is what I paid $150.00 a Ticket for 5 people to see????
    That would pay for my Fuel for a real VACATION with my family!

21. vikingsuberallis says: Oct 8, 2016 7:15 PM

Gotta leave it at 2 pumps.

22. lambeaudungbarn says: Oct 8, 2016 7:31 PM

AHHHHGH, I miss the NFL of my Youth in the 60’s and 70’s.
    There is such a difference is class it is crazy. it has DEVOLVED into Cheat to Win, sacrifice ANYTHING to Win.
    Also declining ratings are from people that are sick of watching people making multi millions of dollars while acting like your local street gang members.
    Real Heroes are disappearing from the Sport.
    Remember when you were actually PROUD of these people and wished your kid would be like them?

23. mediasloppy says: Oct 8, 2016 7:42 PM

butski29 says:
    Oct 8, 2016 3:29 PM

——————
    I hear you, but I don’t want a bunch of bots out there. Just keep it classy and clean. I mean, it pumps players up. Just look how jacked people get when they sack the QB.