Odell Beckham: It’s a blessing to be on the field

GREEN BAY, WI - OCTOBER 09:  Odell Beckham Jr.  #13 of the New York Giants is pursued by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix #21 of the Green Bay Packers during the second half of a game  at Lambeau Field on October 9, 2016 in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images) Getty Images

Sunday night ended in a familiar way for the Giants as they lost for the third straight week, but this defeat differed from the previous two in one respect.

As he promised in the days leading up to the game, wide receiver Odell Beckham never lost his cool on the sideline or on the field during the 23-16 loss to the Packers. Beckham caught five passes for 56 yards and a touchdown during the game and accentuated the positives of the previous week when speaking to reporters after it.

“They’ve been great,” Beckham said, via “Sometimes you just have to go through some things to give you a greater appreciation of it all. To be able to come here on Sunday, Lambeau [Field], I mean, it’s literally a blessing to be on the field. Sometimes you just have to put things in perspective; my week has probably been one of the better weeks I had. It has been a short week, too. Amnesia. I don’t remember. Just keep it moving, man. We’re on a losing streak, and you gotta just snap out of it.”

Beckham went on to say no one should let anyone “steal your joy” and he showed off his new blissful state by referencing one of his previous meltdowns. After scoring his touchdown, Beckham gave a hug to the kicking net on the Giants sideline that he’d engaged in a misguided attack in Week Three before the kick retaliated by crashing into Beckham’s head.

“We hugged it out. Last time I hit him, he hit me back,” Beckham said. “I told him it was a good hit. I said from now on we can be friends. It is what it is. I’m having fun.”

Fun was in short supply for an offense that gained 219 yards all night in the latest disappointing performance in a season that’s seen little else from the group that was the Giants’ biggest strength last year. That’s a big problem, but at least they can spend this week trying to fix it rather than wringing hands about their star wide receiver’s latest tantrum.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Odell Beckham: It’s a blessing to be on the field”
  1. demskinsbaby says: Oct 10, 2016 7:22 AM

Keep your “Head and Shoulders” in the game Beckham!

2. dtroxallday says: Oct 10, 2016 7:37 AM

I have to admit that I chuckled reading his comments regarding the kicking net. Maybe someone has finally gotten through to him. Baby steps.

3. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? says: Oct 10, 2016 7:47 AM

“As he promised in the days leading up to the game, wide receiver Odell Beckham never lost his cool on the sideline or on the field during the 23-16 loss to the Packers”

Congrats!!! Now you and my 8 year old are on the same maturity level…..

4. jag1959 says: Oct 10, 2016 8:00 AM

His next contract appreciates this new found outlook and hopes it lasts, so do Giants fans.

5. fordman84 says: Oct 10, 2016 8:14 AM

Translation: “All of my crying in the media this week got me exactly what I wanted, double digit targets. Who cares if we lost because I Eli was forced to throw at me?”

6. tylereifertisunstoppable says: Oct 10, 2016 8:18 AM

That’s better Odell. Keep it up. A lot more people will like you.

7. daburgher says: Oct 10, 2016 8:25 AM

good for OBJ. hopefully this lasts

8. xxsweepthelegxx says: Oct 10, 2016 8:30 AM

Love him or hate him, that exchange with the kicking met is pretty funny. Good for him to poke a little fun at himself and move past all

No matter the team or player, the NFL is better with the star players healthy and producing on the field.

9. ocdn says: Oct 10, 2016 9:22 AM

You’re still a moron, Odell………..

10. buccaboo says: Oct 10, 2016 9:32 AM

There is a fine line between crazy and genius

11. andyreidsbossoms says: Oct 10, 2016 9:35 AM

Good job! Way to turn it around and act like a pro.

From an Eagles fan

12. kpunmusic says: Oct 10, 2016 9:40 AM

This guy is an idiot.

13. claymus1 says: Oct 10, 2016 10:43 AM

Before most can be old and wise, they must first be young and stupid…Give the KID a break, he’ll be OK…

14. youdrivemenutseagles says: Oct 10, 2016 11:07 AM

So as long as he gets his #’s, he’s good, win or loss. #thisisntover

15. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Oct 10, 2016 11:36 AM

Another player that wishes he played for the Packers. They can only have so many on the team, but your flattery is appreciated.

16. favreisadouche says: Oct 10, 2016 11:50 AM

Still unlikable…in fact moreso.

17. hawkwind8 says: Oct 10, 2016 12:15 PM

On a related note: Boy does Manning stink! Bottom 10 QB this year….

18. timmmah10 says: Oct 10, 2016 12:19 PM

The truth is, most of us can’t relate to having our worst days in the public eye. This guy knows he screwed up, maturely handled it, and fans should respect that and move on.

Every game can’t be a 200 yard 3 TD effort. But every game can be used as a building block of skill, awareness, and character. I think his tantrums are teaching him the importance of emotional intelligence, and I hope his growth continues, because this league is better for having players of his caliber on the field.

19. ninespot says: Oct 10, 2016 12:51 PM

You are losing by 14 points in the 4th qtr with 3 min left in the game and you pull this stunt after scoring?

Shows he more about himself still than winning.

20. usdcoyotesfan says: Oct 10, 2016 12:57 PM

False, there was one point where he screamed for a late hit penalty when he was hit before going out of bounds.

21. bigbluefan1 says: Oct 10, 2016 6:07 PM

All the team needed on O was a good tight End and a line
    They got none they got a high priced D that allowed Rodgers to wash and wax his car all day long

Some of the worst play I have ever seen
    Flowers should be a unloading trucks not protecting Eli’s blind side