Ravens announce offensive coordinator change

DETROIT- DECEMBER 29:  A fan holds up a sign expressing his feelings on Detroit Lions head coach Marty Mornhinweg during the last game of NFL regular season against the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field on December 29, 2002 in Detroit, Michigan.  The Vikings defeated the Lions 38-36.  (Photo by Tom Pidgeon/Getty Images) Getty Images

Four years ago, it sparked a Super Bowl run. This year, the goal is simply to stop the bleeding.

The Ravens have announced that offensive coordinator Marc Trestman is out, and that he’ll be replaced by Marty Mornhinweg.

Morhinweg becomes the fifth former head coach to serve as the offensive coordinator in the last four years; Cam Cameron yielded to Jim Caldwell in 2012. After 2013, when Caldwell became the coach of the Lions, Gary Kubiak arrived. In 2015, when Kubiak became the coach of the Broncos, Trestman became the new coordinator.

“After very careful consideration, I have decided to make a change to our offensive coaching staff and have replaced Marc Trestman with Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator for the rest of the season,” coach John Harbaugh said in a statement. “My obligations are to the team, the organization and the fans to be the very best team we can be. Today we find ourselves one game out of the division and conference lead after experiencing two tough losses at home. We will work to be better in every aspect of our football team. Our expectations are high, and we look forward to fulfilling them.

“I appreciate and respect the efforts and contributions Marc has made to the team since his arrival. Marc is a good person and an excellent football coach.”

Mornhinweg had been working as the quarterbacks coach in Baltimore. Both of his first two games as offensive coordinator will come at MetLife Stadium, against the Giants and the Jets.

For Trestman, an outside-the-box choice for the Bears as head coach in 2013 (over Bruce Arians), the move could result in his relegation to the CFL, where he served as a head coach before being hired by Chicago.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Ravens announce offensive coordinator change”
  1. youknowiknowitall says: Oct 10, 2016 10:32 AM

Desperation move.

2. atomicwaste says: Oct 10, 2016 10:36 AM

Back to day trades, Marc! I’m sure you’re a nice person, but you’re not cut out for the NFL.

3. wizwix says: Oct 10, 2016 10:40 AM

“Bye bye Marty?” Interesting choice of pics to accompany the news that Marc is out…

4. j0esixpack says: Oct 10, 2016 10:57 AM

Hilarious… Yes, fire the OC because obviously it can’t be Flacco’s fault for throwing 4 INTs and just 5 TDs at a whopping 6 yards per completion in 5 games…

As any Ravens fan will tell you, Flacco is the best QB in the league because he’s the highest paid – despite his stats (last year he threw 12 INTs, 14 TDs and 6 yards per completion – which earned him a $66 million extension simply because the Ravens previously signed him to a rediculous $30 mil a year cap hit and had no choice but to extend their QB even after he suffered a career threatening injury.)

Baltimore has become one of the jokes of the NFL & cutting Flacco now means taking a $70 MILLION cap hit

The Ravens are now stuck with what they deserve. A mediocre QB for the next decade with no cap space to spend on the other 52 members of the team

But we’ll still hear Ravens fans chortle that they have the best QB in the league – because he’s the highest paid, even though the team is well on its way to 8-8

Can’t wait to see what the next excuse is when it turns out it wasn’t the OC after all

5. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Oct 10, 2016 10:58 AM

Sorry Ozzie but Joe Flacco is over rated.
    Anquain Boldin, Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones made him look good. The receivers are gone and all you have is an overpaid QB.
    Stop blamming the OCs.

6. billsbackto81 says: Oct 10, 2016 11:04 AM

Don’t knock it til you try it!!!!

-Bills fan🙂

7. 52crabcakes says: Oct 10, 2016 11:06 AM

FIRE Mr. Harbaugh also.

8. footballisnotthatimportant says: Oct 10, 2016 11:07 AM

Well, that’s what happens when you insist that Joe Flacco throw the ball 35 times a game when your backs are popping off 7 or 8 yards a carry

9. cdstackhouse says: Oct 10, 2016 11:12 AM

“arcross12042004scorp15 says:
    Oct 10, 2016 10:58 AM
    Sorry Ozzie but Joe Flacco is over rated.
    Anquain Boldin, Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones made him look good.”

Right. Because look at all the success Anquan, Torrey, and Jacoby have had since departing the Ravens and Flacco’s arm.

10. Kelly's Chronicles says: Oct 10, 2016 11:55 AM

How do either of these guys keep getting jobs???

11. guitarkevin says: Oct 10, 2016 12:32 PM

Hey JoeSixPack. First off, hate much?

I don’t think Joe is elite. I don’t think we are a joke team and I don’t blame the cap.

But what I do know is that Harbaugh has a losing record since winning SB47 and he is the man that needs to take responsibility for the failures.

This firing was nothing more than a scapegoat taking the pressure off Jim. I hope ownership continues to put the heat on Jim and if things don’t turn around, get a new HC. It just needs to be a wise choice, not a knee-jerk reaction.

Moving on…

12. drcap says: Oct 10, 2016 12:38 PM

Marc and Marty are both from the Bill Walsh slash 49er coaching tree. Their system doesn’t seem to play to Flacco’s strengths. But I don’t see how switching from Marc to Marty will make much difference.

13. switchwitch59 says: Oct 10, 2016 1:07 PM

guitarkevin says:
    Oct 10, 2016 12:32 PM

Hey JoeSixPack. First off, hate much?

Moving on…
    —————————————
    Yeah, maybe they can hire the REAL Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan, instead of being stuck with the FAKE Jim Harbaugh(otherwise known as JOHN). If you don’t know the head coach’s name, don’t bother to comment.

14. cincyalldaway says: Oct 10, 2016 1:10 PM

Well you just cant polish a turd no matter how much you rub it. My bengals are living proof of that. Got handled by the cowboys with no real effort on their part. Marvin Lewis needs to go and so does hairball. You can fire every member of ur staff if u want but at the end of the day the HC is responsible for what’s put on the field. I hope Marvin is fired by EOB today but that lunk head Mike Brown will never do it.

15. metalhead65 says: Oct 10, 2016 1:22 PM

seems without Steve Young and Jerry Rice trestman is not the offensive genius he is given credit for. but I am sure this all Jay Cutler’s fault right? pretty funny every coach he is blamed for getting canned is no longer in the league or no longer in charge of running a offense.

16. purpleguy says: Oct 10, 2016 1:45 PM

Buddy of mine was in grad school working as a bartender in Montana when he was demoted because his jock-sniffing boss hired Mornhinwig (the Montana QB) to bartend — he said good old Marty needed to take off his shoes and socks so he could use all his toes to count change. Every time I see Marty’s blank stare on the sidelines, I always go back to that story. Good luck Ravens fans.

17. lancegams says: Oct 10, 2016 1:47 PM

j0esixpack

As a Ravens fan i’ll be the first to tell you Flacco isn’t the best QB. Is he top 10?… ehhh… is he over paid? Aren’t they all!

I’m sooo happy Trestmen is gone. I was mad over that signing from day one. I’m happy he’s gone. John should take some of the blame. But they Ravens haven’t had a great offensive scheme since he got there. He made poor play calls. I blame a lot of the his picks on bad reads from stupid plays that shouldn’t have been called.

Will Marty change everything? Probably not. Changing an Offense midseason is tough. But hey, it worked out last time.

18. hehateme2 says: Oct 10, 2016 1:51 PM

It’s just the curse of Mike Wallace…

19. guitarkevin says: Oct 10, 2016 2:27 PM

@switchswitch59.

I’d love to engage in childhood wit, but the reality is that if Jim were that sought after, he’d still be an NFL head coach.
    John has his issues, but he also has a lot of positives.

I probably won’t convince you either way, but that is for you to deal with, not me.

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 10, 2016 2:41 PM

youknowiknowitall says:
    Oct 10, 2016 10:32 AM
    Desperation move.

19 12

You don’t know jack. The Ravens offense has been terrible under Trestman and they have some talent…And Flacco may not be elite but when he is on the field you know his team has a chance. So not it’s not desperate….his replacement maybe.

21. switchwitch59 says: Oct 10, 2016 8:23 PM

@guitarkevin

I don’t care who your head coach is, it’s not my team. You called him Jim, not me. I was just yanking your chain over it. Won’t matter either way, Ravens are going nowhere fast, so long as they have Flacco.

22. concretejimmy52 says: Oct 10, 2016 10:24 PM

De ja vu. I said the Ravens would fire Cam Cameron and win the SB in 2012. We all see how that worked out. I love being right while most look like ignorant butt wipes. I’ve been right about everything this season. I told you the Ravens would win the AFCN and week 17 against the Bengals would be a meaningless game. I said the Ravens defense would be top five. Defense wins championships. For all the Flacco haters, I also said he would make the HOF and never play in a pro bowl. Take it to the bank.

23. concretejimmy52 says: Oct 10, 2016 10:27 PM

SB MVP this year. Joe Flacco is elite!