Chip Kelly: “Football decision” only to start Colin Kaepernick

Getty Images

On Monday, 49ers coach Chip Kelly said that quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s contract would not factor into the team’s decision about who will start at quarterback against the Bills this Sunday.

That didn’t stop a question about Kaepernick’s contract from being asked when Kelly announced that Kaepernick will get the start. Word last week was that the 49ers were talking to Kaepernick about a restructured contract that would remove injury guarantees from his $14.5 million salary for next season, something that would seem to make it likelier that they’d play him ahead of Blaine Gabbert. Kelly reiterated that football was the only reason the move was being made now.

“I don’t deal with contracts,” Kelly said. “It’s got nothing to do with his contract. Football decision. I’ve never discussed his contract nor will I ever discuss his contract.”

Kelly said that he made the announcement now to give Kaepernick as much time as possible with the first team during practice this week. Gabbert will move to the No. 2 spot and Christian Ponder remains the third-string quarterback for an offense that Kelly said needs to improve beyond the quarterback position.

“We’ve had a couple of days to digest everything from where we are, and I think offensively we need to be better and just make a move,” Kelly said. “It’s not Blaine’s fault. I think as a group, offensively, we need to be better in a lot of ways.”

Better quarterback play can help lift other spots, although it remains to be seen whether Kaepernick can provide it almost a year after he last started an NFL game.

63 responses to “Chip Kelly: “Football decision” only to start Colin Kaepernick

1. I will be boycotting ALL 49ers games. I just can’t patronize a franchise that allows their QB to oppress decent, hard working caucasians, disrespects the liberty and freedom our armed forces protect, and that uses social issues to gain attention. You reap what you sow, NFL.

2. When you suck as a pro coach and your season is circling the drain, of course you start throwing anything you have at it hoping something sticks.

The sad part is, they will probably win a game or two or maybe more with Kap under center, but putting him in does not even come close to curing what ails them.

Couldn’t happen to a better franchise.

3. And is the RIGHT football decision.

Harbaugh found the way to get the very best from Kap and he performed at a very good level at that time.

Chip may want to place a call to Jim for some tips.

4. saltineamerican says:
    Oct 11, 2016 2:26 PM

He went from “physically not being in shape to play” to the starter in one week? Something doesn’t smell right.
    ===================

It smells a lot like, “Hey Kap, if you rework your contract to protect the team in case of injury, you’ll find yourself atop the depth chart”

“Nah, I’ll keep my contract the way it is” – Kap

“He is physically unable to play right now, he isn’t in shape to play” – Chip

“Ok, I’ll rework my contract” – Kap

“Kap is our starting QB starting today” -Chip

5. “A starting QB in the NFL is going to jneeldown during the National Anthem. Righteous! Welcome to America LAND OF THE FREE!!!”

The fact that this is the land of the free IS THE REASON he can kneel down if he wants to.

If that offends you, perhaps you’d find North Korea fits your values more than the USA does.

6. Well sure it’s a football decision – and running the salary cap is an integral element in putting together a good football team. Which they’ve not done recently.

If Kelly fails out here, he better not get another chance any time soon. I swear, him, Fisher, Whisenhunt and huge bunch of other guys are overwhelmingly evidence of the need for the Rooney rule, the best guys are clearly not getting enough chances.

Guys like Fisher get handed the house no matter how far below average they’ve done their jobs. Guys like Mike Tomlin get crap despite being the 9th highest winning percentage in NFL history. The trolls act like of happens all the time! No. It’s only happen nine times in the history of the NFL. The math says that’s special and I don’t care who you are.

7. How is the contract NOT part of the decision? If he really believes that, then he should be fired and is a poor manager. An injury this year that triggers a guarantee of $14.5 million in cash and major salary cap hit in 2017 impacts 2017 after an already disastrous 2016. If Kaepernick plays and gets hurt, it only proves that all of them deserve each other.

8. trailerparkking says:
    Oct 11, 2016 2:28 PM

———————————————————-
    You’re joking, right? lol

9. Hey, Rex, want an easy win over the 9ers?

All you have to do is start the Star Spangled Banner seconds before the snap and Kaep will kneel down, or, just play it when the 9ers are on offense and Kaep will get delay of game penalties because he will be kneeling for 3 minutes every play.

10. You’re joking, right? lol
    ___________
    Partially. I was mocking the oppression angle because under true oppression protesting isn’t an option. So if we’re going to toss around ridiculous notions of what oppression is then I will do the same to illustrate the idiocy if Kap’s statements. I wasn’t joking about the boycotting, I refuse to contribute to NFL ratings while Kap is on the screen. And its pretty obvious Kap is exploiting a social issue for attention. I may not agree with what Isaiah Crowell said but I respect the fact that he took responsibility and took action. Kap has done nothing to help the situation or solve the problem, he’s just being divisive for attention.

11. everyone needs to shut it and trust him. chip has a great track record on “football decisions”.

cutting desean jackson was a football decision
    trading lesean mccoy for (vomit) kiko alonzo off an ACL was a football decision
    breaking the bank for byron maxwell was a football decision
    breaking the bank for demarco murray was a football decision
    starting gabbert in the first place was a football decision

the green smoothies were not a football decision. just an unappetizing one.

12. “Kap has done nothing to help the situation or solve the problem, he’s just being divisive for attention.”

Calling attention to a problem is the first step toward solving it. We still have people denying that there is a problem with policing today.

13. This is all the NFL’s fault for wrapping itself in the flag to begin with.

If they weren’t determined to be the most patriotic, nationalistic, pro military PRIVATE CORPORATION in the country, they wouldn’t have any problems when political issues arise.

14. trailerparkking says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:06 PM

———————————————————-
    How do you know the Colin was looking for attention? Did he tell you personally or are you assuming? What action does Kaep need to take responsibility for? He didn’t break any laws or make any sort of threat towards law enforcement.

So many people have taken what Kaep said and made it about something else. Veterans have been getting screwed over by this country for a long time, but people only want to get up in arms and defend vets after Kaep protests? That’s a crock.

When black people rioted after Ferguson, so many people came out against rioting and said that people should protest peacefully. He’s doing that, yet it’s still an issue. Rioting is only okay when white people do it after their team wins or lose a championship though, right?

Not at all trying to be combative, just trying to give a different perspective.

15. So many people are up in arms about Kaep “offending” veterans by exercising a right they fought for, but aren’t up in arms about the NFL being paid to show patriotism, when that should be the standard without being paid? That doesn’t add up…

16. trailerparkking says:
    Oct 11, 2016 2:28 PM

———————–

But you’re good with your team having a rapist, and a dog killing felon at the quarterback position. Lol.

17. I love him reiterating that he doesnt deal with contracts.

“Did someone say contract? I dont know what that even is? I am a coach!”- CK

We get it Chip you are awful with personnel, but an okay coach and offense mind although he overthinks himself constantly. Let’s see how Kaep does in his system.

18. mmack66: who is the rapist? Is Michael Vick even in the league any longer? Guys having personal troubles is not the same as using the team and the league to make a disgusting political statement more than half of the NFL viewing public vehemently disagree with. I will boycott any game Kaepernick plays and root against the 49ers despite following the team for more than 30 years

19. snapcracklepopfart says:
    Oct 11, 2016 2:52 PM

That’s got zippo to do with the 1st amendment.

All he’s doing is pissing on those who gave their lives. Yes, it’s his right and I applaud him for showing us all his lack of character.

20. so maybe when he plays in Buffalo this week, the Bills need to start playing the national Anthem every time Kap drops back to pass…

21. gregerss says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:19 PM

Egad,

this is a straw man. NO ONE is saying it’s OK for white people or any people to riot about games. It’s a stupid assertion. FYI, there’s a few black folks in those riots, or did you think that there are no black NBA fans in Detroit or Chicago?

22. trailerparkking says:
    Oct 11, 2016 2:28 PM

________________________________________

Because obviously in your pathetic world it’s OK to oppress decent, hard working african-americans. Not to worry, I’m sure the franchise will be just fine without your ignorant a@@ at the games

23. I think the short fat man is trying to distract attention from himself. The Eagles have been 100% better under new management, and his QB from last season, Sam Bradford, is having 100% more success in a new system. Last season Bradford’s numbers were about the same as Gabbert’s in San Fran, what changed?

24. Hey look, a fan of a team that employed a convicted murderer and are convicted serial cheaters is trying to take moral high ground. How cute!

25. We have an African American President and African American Attorney General. I’m being called ignorant by someone who doesn’t even know the meaning of oppression. Is there racial tension and racial profiling? Of course, but let’s end this oppression crap right now. You want a discussion? I’m all ears. You want to disrespect people and use false narratives about oppression? Goodbye.

26. As a Houstonian who remembers The Comeback, pulling for Buffalo is pretty damned hard, but damned if I’m not pulling for them this Sunday. Go Bills!

Also, can you say “record low ratings”?

27. “Really, it’s your right to kneel at work and use your employer’s time for misguided political statements?

That’s got zippo to do with the 1st amendment.”

Actually that has EVERYTHING to do with the first ammendment.

If your employer is forcing you to make a political statement by engaging in nationalistic military worship, you have the right to refuse.

This aint North Korea.

28. “Of course, but let’s end this oppression crap right now. ”

Sure. Because if YOU weren’t oppressed, then that means NO ONE was.

You’re the center of the universe after all.