Prime-time ratings keep sinking

WILKES-BARRE, PA - OCTOBER 10: Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump holds a campaign rally on October 10, 2016 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Trump continues his campaign following a town hall style debate against the Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton at Washington University in St. Louis last night. (Photo by Jessica Kourkounis/Getty Images) Getty Images

Another weekend of NFL games, another example of the trend of reduced TV viewership of games.

Via SportsBusiness Daily, Monday night’s Buccaneers-Panthers snoozer generated a 6.5 rating, down from 8.5 from last year’s Steelers-Chargers game to cap Week Five. That’s a 24-percent drop.

As expected, Sunday night’s Giants-Packers dropped sharply, thanks to a presidential debate that gobbled up a rating of 37.2, which translates to 69 million viewers. Sunday Night Football managed a 10.2 rating according to Forbes.com. That’s 22 percent less than last year’s Week Five Sunday night game.

In Wisconsin, however, fans chose to watch the Packers at normal levels. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the 43.7 rating locally was comparable to normal circumstances for a Packers game.

There’s nothing normal about TV viewership this year for the NFL. If the election is primary culprit for the dip, the proof will come once the election ends and viewers return to watching other things. Unless they’re in the process of moving to Canada, regardless of which candidate wins.

Permalink 222 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
222 Responses to “Prime-time ratings keep sinking”
  1. jjackwagon says: Oct 11, 2016 3:13 PM

Average Joe is tired of watching 20-something millionaires disrespect the country and complain about oppression.

2. danyod says: Oct 11, 2016 3:14 PM

“Unless they’re in the process of moving to Canada, regardless of which candidate wins.”

LOL. We know who you’re REALLY talking about.

3. antkowiak666 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:17 PM

The game has come to a snails pace with all the challenges,commercials and incompetent refs.
    Luckily I have the NHL to entertain me now:)

4. fatguystrangler says: Oct 11, 2016 3:18 PM

This type of article will be published weekly, and the same array of reasons will be responsible. You can only water down the Kool-Aid so much until people stop drinking.

5. paulnoga says: Oct 11, 2016 3:18 PM

Its a one hour game that takes three and a half hours. That is ridiculous. Everything keeps stopping because of penalties that seem to last longer and longer. Watching an NFL game now, you need a DVR to tape the game, and start watching an hour later – skip the commercials.

6. sirmetaphor says: Oct 11, 2016 3:20 PM

I only watch my home team. After seeing all these losers protesting, I’ve done my own protesting by not watching them.

If my home team starts with the protesting I may stop watching them, too.

7. icebergsimpson says: Oct 11, 2016 3:20 PM

I hate politics but the debate on Sunday night was way more entertaining than the Giants suck fest.

8. dudermcrbohan says: Oct 11, 2016 3:21 PM

wow I really can’t believe people are getting tired of watching commercials with a few football breaks sprinkled in here and there.

9. blowpackblow says: Oct 11, 2016 3:21 PM

Everyone says they are moving to Canada if Trump wins…I am moving to Mexico, at least there will be a wall between me and that goofball.

10. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:21 PM

I used to watch every game I possibly could. Now I watch only the Pats and avoid other games like the plague.

Too many years of corrupt, vile Goodell and his cronies and lies.

And its not just his treatment of Brady and the Pats, it the fabrications against the Saints, Cowboys, Redskins, Fins and the Pats that collectively show his history of lies and deceit.

Combined with the massive softening of the game to cater to the fantasy football geeks and I see people I have zero wish to support putting out a product that barely resembles the game I love.

There are plenty of other things to do to entertain ourselves other than football.

11. dannyabramowitz says: Oct 11, 2016 3:22 PM

IT’S THE PROTESTS! It’s why I’m not watching and why many others I know are doing the same. It’s also the only variable that has changed. If what Goodell says is true about politics, weather, etc. affecting ratings, then why haven’t college football ratings been affected? This is just another thing Goodell has blown. He should have told the players that what you do on your employers’ time while wearing their uniform is controlled by your employer. If you want to protest, do it on your own time. But he blew it again. What an idiot!

12. robstoddart says: Oct 11, 2016 3:22 PM

Ratings will improve when the prime-time product improves. Terrible games so far this year…

13. grogansheroes says: Oct 11, 2016 3:22 PM

When the owners have to give back money to the networks, Roger might be in some trouble. Couldn’t happen to a better guy. I used to love the NFL. I still like the game, not the league. And I am like many, that do not watch NFL network, do not buy any merchandise, do not have red zone, do not play fantasy. I begrudgingly watch my home team, because I have been doing it for 50+ years. But even with my team having a lot of sustained success, I am slowly starting to change my schedule away from Sundays in the fall watching the NFL.

14. chippys lost binky says: Oct 11, 2016 3:23 PM

There have been plenty of potential reasons posted already for the ratings drop but only dropping 24% for last night’s lousy excuse for a football game should be viewed as a serious accomplishment

15. schmitty2 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:24 PM

Of course Wisconsin watched the Packers. That’s what their life is about along with cheese curds and a never empty fridge full of Natural light.

16. gmen32 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:24 PM

I’ve watched NFL football for four decades.
    Although still a big fan, I have to admit my interest is starting to decrease. Too much messing around with the game and rules on top of rules. You’ve reached the bottom of the barrel when a BOOK is released to describe what is allowable with end zone celebrations. The game has taken many steps backwards.

17. alltee says: Oct 11, 2016 3:25 PM

fans are sick of goodell the dictator!! the owners protected him as he filled their pockets despite what fans wanted. now its time for them to listen

oh ya love the NFL excuses like its the election, despite ratings plummeting on non debate nights, cause we all miss entire games to spend 4 hours reading the news….lol

fire goodell his reign is over!!!!

18. Mike Tomlin says: Oct 11, 2016 3:26 PM

Cord cutters + terrible refereeing + little parity + getting fined for celebrating + the dislike for Goodell = low ratings.

Its not rocket science, the NFL has the worse product its had in a long time, maybe ever. I won’t stop watching but the rule changes and the serious dis-consideration for what the fans actually want, like making the offense earn its points rather than bailing them out with weak penalties, is obviously making people care less.

Also, do we really need games Thursday night, Sunday morning (London), Sunday at 1, Sunday at 4, Sunday night and Monday night? Its exhausting. I’d much rather watch key plays from two additional 1/4 PM games on Redzone than suffer thru Thursday night games.

Mark Cuban was so right, the NFL is getting too big for itself.

19. kev86 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:26 PM

my 6 year old loves red zone.

20. magnumpimustache says: Oct 11, 2016 3:26 PM

Roger Goodell is making $45 Million per year.

Power Corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Goodell uses his very good brain and messes with the Kick off.

Goodell uses his very good brain and decides he knows more than a PHD Scientist.

Goodell uses his very good brain and decides he knows what is an excessive celebration after a touchdown.

Fire Goodell he is worth over 100 million…..he will be fine.

21. joecool16280 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:26 PM

Lack of game flow (too many breaks and commercials), bad QB play, too many penalties.

22. percydovetonsils says: Oct 11, 2016 3:26 PM

In my opinion the reasons are overexposure of football generally at all levels, crummy “marquee” games, and too many breaks in the action.

23. mariorat says: Oct 11, 2016 3:26 PM

What would you expect with those schedules? MNF is not the same since it moved to ESPN.
    Sunday night should be able to flex starting in Week 4.

24. xevious02 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:27 PM

well maybe if we keep tossing excuses at it something will stick. I’ll take a knee over here and wait.

25. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 11, 2016 3:27 PM

Watching President Clinton take Trump and the GOP to school > Watching the WORST team in the NFC East try to play football vs Boring Green Bay.

26. vikingsftw says: Oct 11, 2016 3:27 PM

There are so few good teams left in the NFL it is not even watchable anymore. Unless 2 of the top 10’s play each other it is better to watch paint dry then to watch these bad teams in boring games. My viewership is down 75%..1-2 games max a week.

27. fwippel says: Oct 11, 2016 3:28 PM

Let me help you with this: the drop in ratings is NOT due to the Presidential election.

When the NFL decided to embrace social issues, it started down a perilous path. Now, with several players openly defying the country that gives them the opportunity to earn millions of dollars every year, the NFL still fails to see how these actions are seen as disrespectful to every military veteran and every law enforcement officer in our nation. When the league is perfectly fine with Colin Kaepernick and many other players disrespecting the flag, but refuses to allow the Dallas Cowboys to honor fallen police officers, how can they NOT expect a backlash?

The NFL also fails to realize that, at least prior to this season, veterans and law enforcement officials make a up a significant portion of the league’s fan base.

It’s not hard to figure out, but the league has to be willing to look at this honestly, and from the perspective of the average fan (middle class Americans in flyover country).

The choice belongs to Goodell, the owners and the players. Humble yourselves and try to figure out the perspective of the average fan, or continue to arrogantly disrespect the flag and law enforcement, and watch the ratings continue to drop.

28. zoellner25 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:28 PM

Nobody cares about watching crappy games

29. VondyP says: Oct 11, 2016 3:29 PM

All these people are wrong. The rating are down because the matchups have been god awful. Worst prime time matchups ever it seems. backups vs backups every week.

30. JaminJake says: Oct 11, 2016 3:29 PM

Mark Cuban for President.

31. sirmetaphor says: Oct 11, 2016 3:30 PM

dannyabramowitz says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:22 PM
    ______________________
    Agree 100%

America’s sport is enjoyed by real, hard working American’s, so of course we’re going to take offense to these rich babies protesting what America stands for. I hope more people can turn off the NFL until they make a change.

32. cplwebberusmcblog says: Oct 11, 2016 3:31 PM

“In Wisconsin, however, fans chose to watch the packers at normal levels.”

That explains why they’re #3 in you power rankings.

33. tonyzendejas says: Oct 11, 2016 3:31 PM

Gee, why wouldn’t scores of Americans tune in to watch the Giants, a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 5 years, in prime time? Or Cam Newton’s backup face off against a perennial trash-fire of a franchise on cable?

It must be the guys kneeling during the weird jingo chant.

34. ktoast says: Oct 11, 2016 3:31 PM

for the record it does not bother to see players kneeling/protesting during an anthem. hearing the talking heads dissect it bothers me and will have me tuning out.

35. I Understand The Catch Rule says: Oct 11, 2016 3:31 PM

well …….. Colts Texans next Sunday isn’t gonna help ratings.

36. leroyquimby says: Oct 11, 2016 3:32 PM

I’m not watching anymore games that the Pete Morelli crew is involved

37. tjacks7 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:32 PM

Mark Cuban was right. The fat pig is being slaughtered right in front of our eyes. It’s going to be weird explaining to your kids or grandkids one day what the NFL was. Goodell over saturated the market with a watered down product. Thanks for ruining the league, Roger!

38. xpensivewinos says: Oct 11, 2016 3:32 PM

If my home team starts with the protesting I may stop watching them, too.
    ——————————————————-
    So you can protest, but they can’t???????????

39. rcali says: Oct 11, 2016 3:33 PM

Did they split up the audience by “Deplorables” and Non-“Deplorables?”

40. distracted9 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:33 PM

I can’t speak for others but I can speak for myself.. for me it’s the idiotic protests. These players are so out of touch with reality it makes me sick. The blown calls and watered down game don’t help matters but I will not tune in to watch millionaires take a knee because their country mistreats them.

41. mmack66 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:34 PM

dannyabramowitz says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:22 PM

——————————-

What protests? Good grief, just turn the game on 5 minutes later.

42. sirmetaphor says: Oct 11, 2016 3:34 PM

VondyP says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:29 PM

___________
    Take another look at the primetime match-ups, pal.

Account for Thurs, Sunday and Monday Night, not just the match-ups that fit your argument.

43. pastabelly says: Oct 11, 2016 3:34 PM

To be honest, I have Donald Trump fatigue. I just can’t watch this implosion any longer. I’ll choose the NFL over him and any more debates.

I do agree with everyone on Goodell and it goes way beyond Tom Brady. Brady was just the feather on his cap to prove he’s in charge. Most believe he knew about the Ray Rice video but couldn’t deal with the bad publicity after going too far on the Dolphins. The Saints thing was a joke and Goodell was offended by Tagliabue and doubled down on Tom Brady. It’s just a mess and will be a total joke if they put a team in London. That’s when you know this is 100% off the rails.

44. bleedingfacemask says: Oct 11, 2016 3:35 PM

ESPN had a peak of 99 million subscribers in 2013, but fell to 92 million by November 2015 and 90.8 million in February 2016. Sports TV Ratings posted that ESPN had dropped by another 1.5 million subscribers in June 2016.

So it appears that there are more than 3 million fewer homes subscribing to ESPN since Week 5 of last season. Since there may be more than one pair of eyeballs for each home, actual number of viewers should be considerably higher than 3M.

This might have something to do with lower MNF ratings…

45. logast says: Oct 11, 2016 3:35 PM

The price that the NFL and DirecTV sell the Sunday Ticket at is too expensive. Games have been outright boring. Dovetailing off that, performances have been atrocious. Then throw in the two hours plus of commercials. (I wonder what the TV numbers in the LA market are).

And the geniuses wonder why the numbers are dropping.

46. pfatalbert says: Oct 11, 2016 3:36 PM

Go Cubs Go! A prolonged Cubs post-season run won’t help the NFL’s ratings either.

47. stevedeberg says: Oct 11, 2016 3:36 PM

In this age of DVRs everybody is used to skipping commercials so it’s brutal to try and watch an NFL game live. The most infuriating thing ever is “extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial”

48. jimmyjohns01 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:36 PM

Too many breaks and commercials during the game. Even for my own team I’m starting to stray away from the TV more often to do other things and just checking back periodically for the score and highlights.

49. qbarrel says: Oct 11, 2016 3:37 PM

The product on the field is bad – that is the #1 reason for sagging ratings. It’s easy for some of us to “boycott” the NFL because of some political stance that we may not agree with, especially when the entertainment value of the game is at such an all time low. There was a time where I would plan my whole Sunday around football – from sun up, to sun down. Now I pretty much watch just my team and RedZone while checking my DFS lineups.

50. 6250claimer says: Oct 11, 2016 3:38 PM

I used to bring my iPad to home games and watch Sunday Ticket on it before our (always late game) kickoff. But as of this year, if the app detects that you’re at an NFL stadium – no Sunday Ticket for you!

It’s ridiculous policies like this that continue to turn fans off. The last straw was Kap & his ilk and their disrepect for our flag. Sorry bro, but you’re just not the right spokesman for “oppression of people of color” when you play in a league that’s 68% black and you’re earning a 9-figure salary.

The NFL can continue to deny that these protests are turning people away, but they’re either fooling themselves, or it’s their “public position” on the issue (Hillary says you need to have, you know, a public and a private position on issues). Until a lot of stuff gets fixed, this being priority #1, the ratings will continue in free fall.

51. 6ball says: Oct 11, 2016 3:38 PM

The old adage : “Defense wins championships

The new adage :” 345 Park Avenue decides championships ”

52. dobberdubinsky says: Oct 11, 2016 3:39 PM

Its funny that so many American muppets think they can just simply move to Canada if things don’t go their way in the election. For your information Ignorant America, it may be a lil tougher than you expect.

53. scrp2 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:39 PM

Teams have doubled their value in two years. I thought ratings have doubled as well.

54. willycents says: Oct 11, 2016 3:39 PM

The ratings will go back up now Brady is back. People the world over stop their wars, stop arguing with their wives, lose their hunger pains, and quit driving drunk just to watch the GOAT take the field.

55. dal1as says: Oct 11, 2016 3:40 PM

To many primetime games. Especially to many prime time games that include teams that have no business on primetime. That and commercials, and rule changes. People have just had enough.

56. birdgang84 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:40 PM

Maybe if we didn’t keep seeing a mediocre Giants team getting all the primetime games more people would watch……just a thought

57. 2since96 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:40 PM

Lets see…how about the nfls archaic delivery of games (inability to buy a pass to watch your teams game wherever you are w o having to switch providers and buy every game), injuries causing a large portion of good players to miss games which diminishes the quality of the product, competitive inconsistencies (due to poor calls by the refs, unclear rules, a made-up-as-we-go disiplinary program), the inability for bottom dwellers to do anything other than bottom-dwell, games that last four hours and only include 60 minutes of action, the oversaturstion of media that has caused players flaws to be magnified and thus disenchant fans…

Make the rules clear, hire better refs, ban replay or make replay delay max of 30 seconds, stop the tv timeouts and others that slow the game down, stop suspending players for everything but PEDs, sell a sunday ticket for each team thru each cable provider, and make real changes to decrease the injuries to the players that draw fans.

58. newmancave2016 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:41 PM

I don’t like the protests, but it doesn’t affect me watching. Part of it is lifestyle change. My friends and I don’t watch football just because it’s on anymore. A lot of that is also due to terrible games in primetime, or games I just don’t care about. Being an Eagles fan, I also considered turning off the TV due to the officiating last Sunday.

59. weepingjebus says: Oct 11, 2016 3:41 PM

BSPN likewise lost millions of viewers and readers the last few years. I’m sure they also blame politics and unseasonal rain or whatever, rather than trying to ram offensive viewpoints down the nation’s collective throat.

60. mmack66 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:41 PM

No one wants to watch a sport that is so poorly run.

61. ebdug says: Oct 11, 2016 3:42 PM

“As expected, Sunday night’s Giants-Packers dropped sharply, thanks to a presidential debate”

Also as expected, MNF ratings dropped sharply, thanks to the season premier of “Two Broke Girls”.

62. billjones383 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:43 PM

Players keep protesting and we’ll keep protesting. Funny how I was able to enjoy time with my kids away from football Sunday and also work on a few projects at the house.

63. rexdarteskimospy says: Oct 11, 2016 3:43 PM

Football is dying, you guys.

64. daysend564 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:44 PM

What was the last appealing game put on prime time?

Week 1: Panthers/Broncos…Patriots/Cardinals, Steelers/Redskins…Rams/49ers
    Week 2: Bills/Jets…Packers/Vikings…Eagles/Bears
    Week 3: Texans/Patriots…Bears/Cowboys…Falcons/Saints
    Week 4: Dolphins/Bengals…Chiefs/Steelers…Vikings/Giants
    Week 5: Cardinals/49ers…Packers/Giants…Bucs/Panthers

Assuming I’m not a fan of any specific team, outside of Week 1 what is the appeal? Those that might have were quick blowouts (Texans, Chiefs)

The slate doesn’t look promising going forward
    Week 6:
    Broncos/Chargers – (4-1) vs (1-4)
    Colts/Texans – Texans maybe worst team in NFL, can’t score against anybody
    Jets/Cardinals – Palmer or Fitz to throw 5-6 ints?

Week 7:
    Bears/Packers – (1-4) vs (3-1)
    Seahawks/Cardinals – Interest, does that mean blowout?
    Texans/Broncos – See above, another shutout on Texans?

Week 8:
    Jaguars/Titans – Nothing needs to be said
    Eagles/Cowboys – Interest
    Vikings/Bears – How do Bears get so many primetime games?!?!?

65. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 11, 2016 3:45 PM

harrisonhits2 | Oct 11, 2016, 3:21 PM EDT

Too many years of corrupt, vile Goodell and his cronies and lies.

I think when Brady only got four games and the Pat’s lost just one first rounder and Belicheat escaping any punishment my love for the game took a big hit. The game I love didn’t have the Tutu wearing Brady’s at QB or the cheating of the Pats either.

66. leroyquimby says: Oct 11, 2016 3:46 PM

This is America so you are free to watch what you want but I get so tired of people saying they won’t watch a 4 hour game because of a 30 second anthem. They don’t even show the anthem most of the time!

Second I don’t think 1 person has said they are doing the inexcuseable act of taking a knee because “they” are oppressed and they make millions of dollars.

What it really tells me there is a “natural order” to things and when something goes against it bothers people.

67. glac1 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:46 PM

I wonder if the overpaid “drama queens” that dominate the rosters have anything to do with the lack of interest????

68. truthprofessor says: Oct 11, 2016 3:47 PM

Fire Roger, then I watch. It’s all on Roger’s incompetence.

I used to be NFL-crazy but Roger Goodell ripped my love of the game from me. Basically, now I only watch Patriots games.

The last Super Bowl? I didn’t watch, for the first time in over 30 years. MNF? Football night in America? I’m not watching until Roger is fired, unless it involves the Patriots.

If you think I’m alone, you are flat-out stupid.

69. codythao35 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:47 PM

Bexause Trump and little Erin suck.

70. willycents says: Oct 11, 2016 3:47 PM

“This is all fallout from Roger Goodell perpetrating the largest fraud in sports history.”
    _________________________
    Proves my point above.

71. codythao35 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:48 PM

Bexause Trump and little Erin suck doing double check.

72. 4512dawg4512 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:48 PM

I said it a few years ago, the NFL is in the process of swallowing itself. They are too concerned with money and not concerned enough with content. Too much greed spoils a good thing

73. steelerfanjo says: Oct 11, 2016 3:49 PM

Because the game has too many flags, not enough hitting, 4000 commercial breaks and if you touch a QB – the refs call it – unless its Ben or Cam. Goodell is to blame.

74. tavisteelersfan says: Oct 11, 2016 3:50 PM

1. Fantasy Football is taking a lot of people into stat/play watchers not interested in the grind of a four quarter game, but in the last scoring play to see who was in on it (and if he is one their or their rival’s fantasy team.
    2. People walking away from cable tv in droves. Sticking to netflix and live streaming sports, or in a pinch dropping into a sports bar.

75. bullcharger says: Oct 11, 2016 3:50 PM

I personally think that now that daily fantasy has matured and the online poker players have taken over, many fair weather fans are leaving. The last 2-3 years of ratings have been somewhat artificial in my opinion.

There are many other factors for sure.

Brady and Manning out. Brees, Rodgers and Luck not playing great.

Rookie QB and defensive focused teams.

Bad match ups.

Catch rule and other rule tinkering

Concussion impact on the sport

Kaepernick protest

Deflategate

Lack of parity (although I think you want some superstar teams instead of pure parity, but there are not enough good teams at the moment).

76. bostonsteve12 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:51 PM

Agree with most all reasons already stated. I think there are too many “viewing windows” for games:
    Thursday Night, Sunday day and night, Monday Night Football, plus the Red Zone. The RZ has no commercials. I cannot get the Sunday Ticket on my cable. I watch The RZ and it is continuous action. The announcer does a good job go in and out of each game.

77. kenmasters34 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:51 PM

The reason my interest started declining was the change in the kickoff rules. I made sure to watch the opening kickoff because something good could happen(Bears Fan). I waited through commercial breaks after the TD, to watch the ensuing kickoff. That excitement is gone.

The shackled defenses have really taken a toll on my interest. Now fines and ejections for excessive celebrations? Its just gone too far.

78. vavikingfan says: Oct 11, 2016 3:51 PM

For me, it’s too many commercials; 5 second replays now take 2 minutes of commercials. Defining a simple catch requires legal knowledge and inconsistent calls on penalties.
    That said, until the NFL has to start rebating money to the networks to pay back advertisers it’s unlikely anything will change.

79. workin4theweekend says: Oct 11, 2016 3:52 PM

Somewhere Mark Cuban is kicking back with a beer in his hand, looking smugly on. “I’m just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy.” – Mark Cuban, 2014.

80. gauchosporlife says: Oct 11, 2016 3:52 PM

I recorded a game on Sunday, it’s amazing how many commercials I had to fast forward. Greed is killing the sport.

81. 1gallon says: Oct 11, 2016 3:53 PM

I know a lot of people who are not watching because of the protests – which in itself is odd because the National Anthem has historically not been part of the broadcast.

My thought is that Goodell knows this is the problem, as do the players, but the players know that standing for the anthem is not in the CBA and that if Goodell want to force the issue he will need to give the players something in exchange – neutral arbitration.

82. 12thmangohawks says: Oct 11, 2016 3:53 PM

It’s funny how people whine about corruption in the NFL and how goodell is ruining the game, then turn around and wave Clinton banners… oh the irony

83. number1hawkfan says: Oct 11, 2016 3:53 PM

The nfl cares about the ratings and apparently all of you cry babies do as well. I like football. I’m not gonna let protests make me dislike the game. I choose not to be a victim.

84. shaggytoodle says: Oct 11, 2016 3:55 PM

MNF had some pretty meh teams playing in my opinion, it did end being a good game, and I would have watched more of but…. playoff baseball was more interesting to me yesterday.

85. ebdug says: Oct 11, 2016 3:55 PM

If the NFL’s drop in popularity causes the owners to fire Roger Goodell, I’ll stand up and salute Colin Kaepernick.

86. dwarftosser says: Oct 11, 2016 3:56 PM

Its not the protests. One or two morons might still get upset with them, but its a non-issue now. (and frankly always was) I don’t think any network is even broadcasting the national anthem anymore, it’s back to it’s normal commercial break time slot.

The issue this week was pretty obvious, it was the Presidential debate, and it was a train wreck. It’s hard for people to look away from a train wreck. MNF is going to continue to decline in ratings because more people are cutting the cord and don’t have ESPN, but SNF is going to be just fine.

87. chuckshontaspads says: Oct 11, 2016 3:56 PM

88. gatorguru says: Oct 11, 2016 3:56 PM

Rule changes, overexposure of games, are the biggest reason I’ve tuned in a lot less….plus the 28 and under age group have other interests…its a slow roll downhill…this from a former diehard 52 year old fan…Goddell and the owners are to blame.

89. daysend564 says: Oct 11, 2016 3:57 PM

The 1-4 Bears have 4 primetime games in the first 8 weeks of the season.

90. kenberthiaume says: Oct 11, 2016 3:59 PM

what about all the women won over with the breast cancer nonsense they were doing? Oh, that didn’t work? It’s a dull game with a long penalty break every time the action gets going.

91. recoveryboys says: Oct 11, 2016 4:00 PM

Too many commercials and not enough STEELERS.

92. bullcharger says: Oct 11, 2016 4:00 PM

dobberdubinsky says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:39 PM

——————

First off, I think it’s flattering joke for us Canadians that Americans would say they should move to Canada given the state of the election, but it’s just a joke.

Second, New Yorkers are ignorant to Bostonians just like Americans are ignorant to Canadians. It’s a big place and they have their own concerns. They just think about their own country and they aren’t consuming Canadian media like we consume American media all day. Plus, many Americans love Canada and know all about it. You can’t paint everyone with the same brush.

93. idiedpretty says: Oct 11, 2016 4:00 PM

find me one fanboy, just one, which has stopped watching the NFL due to his dislike of Goodell. tick tock!

94. shlort says: Oct 11, 2016 4:01 PM

The NFL is in denial and the media is helping keep it that way. People aren’t watching because of the players political protest. That is why the ratings are sinking. Sure, there are other factors, but the protesting is more than fans can stand. Once these fans find something else to do with their time, they will be hard to lure back. The NFL is fading fast and it is no one’s fault but their own.

95. daysend564 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:02 PM

In terms of ratings, how do people that watch games on tablet/phone apps factor into the equation?

If my kids are hoarding the tv, I just retreat and stream the games NFL Network or ESPN apps – especially if I don’t care about the game.

If I care about the game, the kids lose and hello Nielsen

96. daramsman says: Oct 11, 2016 4:02 PM

_____________________________________-

I am quite sure you would love for this to be the reason viewership is down but I would beg to differ. The networks themselves are the ones putting those who are protesting on TV. Do you think they are going to go out of their way to drop their own ratings by showing that? Come on thats Stupid.

Bottom line is the NFL has reached its peak in the US. And they know it. This is why there is a mad dash to expand into other countries. Moving teams to bigger markets, getting more elaborate stadiums every 20 years…the NFL is starting to take a back seat to College football again in terms of entertainment value. Bad officiating, Goodell, too many games, Goodell, the NFL Sunday ticket is too expensive, Goodell, oh wait did I mention Goodell, CTE, parity, bad QB play, Goodell, its an endless road of greed, mistrust and bad football. And then there is Goodell.

97. enzasman says: Oct 11, 2016 4:03 PM

Sports has always been a pleasant diversion from
    The madness of politics and anything else, now it seems we have to inject politics and anything else into our sports broadcast which makes it not a diversion hence we just don’t watch it. i don’t care about your
    Political views your a sports entertainer do what you get paid to do,make me forget about all the crap in the world for a few hours.

98. maddenisfordorks says: Oct 11, 2016 4:03 PM

If had the same “popular” teams on prime time all the time, that would suck also.

How many times does a normal football fan from the south have to watch the Giants and Eagles play before they too check out?

I love seeing the teams from the rust belt come out fired up and try to win a game, the Jags as well while we are at it. If it’s prime time I also like seeing the shots of that team’s town, the food, people, etc.

I hate how much of the game is refs chatting it up, and telling the crowd about the rules.

99. luvpeytonmanning says: Oct 11, 2016 4:04 PM

Sick of watching these jokers disrespecting our flag and country.

100. tylawspick6 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:06 PM

goodell has ruined the league.

his lying and the baggage that comes with the product is insufferable

101. kevpft says: Oct 11, 2016 4:06 PM

Don’t understand the election excuse. There have only been 2 debates in 5 weeks of football, but ratings are down across the board. There’s not really any reason for people to arbitrarily not watch a football game because there’s an election going on – what are they watching, 3 hours of news at the exact same time as a game?

The product is bad, the delivery mechanisms are horrible (apart from the bright spot of Twitter), and the league office, owners, and players have mostly been in the news for unlikable reasons.

102. thisistheonlygame says: Oct 11, 2016 4:06 PM

chuckshontaspads says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:56 PM

————————————-

Your not really serious… Right?

Is anyone really watching less football because Brady wasn’t playing.

I suppose now that the Great Oz is back behind the current the ratings will suddenly return.

Or will it take to mid November or so…

103. texansfan82 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:07 PM

I think it’s a number of factors. As others have stated, the game is moving at a snail’s pace. Watching a 60-minute game over 3 and 1/2 hours is painful at times – Touchdown, TV Timeout, Kickoff, TV Timeout, back to regulation. Let’s speed the game back up by taking some timeouts out of the picture.

The NFL still has trouble articulating what a catch actually is. That’s annoying for fans, but so are the countless other ticky-tack rules that result in penalties and slow the game down.

Too many reviews. In the NFL’s effort to get things right they have slowed things down further.

All of the suspensions, legal action, and just general negativity in the news makes it hard to root for some of these teams (or the NFL in general).

The NFL has spent a lot of time figuring out ways to make as much money as possible. It’s time to start focusing on making the game better for players and fans again.

104. chicagosportsfan11 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:08 PM

Two years ago Mark Cuban made this statement and people thought he was crazy.

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion. When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I’m just telling you, when you got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns against you.”

He spoke the truth and what he said will come to fruition.

105. bullcharger says: Oct 11, 2016 4:08 PM

———–

106. coachglove says: Oct 11, 2016 4:09 PM

schmitty2 says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:24 PM

__________________________________
    The state of Wisconsin is owned by Miller…so it is Miller Lite.

fwippel says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:28 PM

_________________________________

Do you have data to support this? The total number of living veterans + active duty + reservists/national guard + law enforcement + retired law enforcement = a tiny fraction of the # of total people in this country. Add in that a fair number of those folks are like me (both a vet and former LE) who have no interest in changing my viewing habits as the result of what this rich, spoiled kids do and it can be logically concluded that you are talking out your a$$. If you don’t want to watch due to that, so be it. Many of my friends are vets and not one of them has had this impact their viewing habits at all. We simply go on about our lives.

It is the flow of the game. I would argue the majority of viewers have been involved in the sport either as a player or family member of someone who has played. Most people do not play beyond the HS level, so 3.5 hours/game is obscene and 12-15 hours worth on Sunday + Thurs & Mon games are just too much. Most folks really only care primarily about their team. There are also plenty of folks who simply care due to the fantasy aspects who are placated with Red Zone. The game used to mostly be played between 1pm-7pm on the east coast with the rare disclaimer that 60 minutes would be delayed because the afternoon game was running a tad long. You would get pre-game from 9:30-10 and then local news would do a wrap-up show from 4-4:30ish. That gave you plenty of time to have a productive outside of the games.

It feels like the NFL has grown the # of minutes watched overall by a fair amount, but that there is starting to be general market pushback due to oversaturation. People are realizing that they can’t justify being unproductive on a weekend for 15 hours then also for 3.5 hours on a Thursday and Monday, so for any given individual game ratings will drop. Especially given the sheer number of absolutely terrible games available weekly. In general, most folks can commit to watching their team and then maybe one other marquee matchup weekly. Other than that, folks are simply getting a life.

I know I have commercial fatigue. I hate that it takes 3.5 hours to watch a 60 minute game and that it is the same commercials over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. The games are terrible. Officiating inconsistent. Offensive players are doing like what they do in the NBA…driving the lane looking for calls…and getting them (eye roll). They have legislated the fun out of the game (no dances for little kids to imitate, like the Icky Shuffle) and there is too much over-hype by the “media” for every little off-field infraction (I actually don’t care AT ALL what these dudes do off the field…not even a little…). Add it all up and it is a collective “meh”.

107. dmca12 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:09 PM

While the factors are multiple (protesting the anthem, the presidential race, greedy owners, greasy politician like commish and union president), the problem is one: there is a growing disconnect between the NFL and its fans. You know how you stop that, you actually listen to your fans and respond to them. Suggestion: Hey Mr. Commish, how about a town fall with fans and find out what is going wrong as opposed to another useless study done by an overpaid group completely out of touch with reality that provides more gibberish and nonspeak. However, and as much as I love the NFL, a little dose of humility might actually be just what they all need.

108. chaparra5 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:10 PM

It’s the oversaturation of night games. You have Sunday, Monday and the worst of them all Thursday night games. Monday night football use to be fun to watch when that was the only night game. But now we have 3 nights of it. Not so special anymore. I personally won’t watch Thursday night games unless my team is playing. It’s plain bad for both teams. GREEDY GREEDY NFL

109. 6ball says: Oct 11, 2016 4:11 PM

Let’s not forget that besides Goodell making 44 million, all his lackeys like Pash, Gardi, Blandino, Vincent, Kensil, Henderson, and Graves, make in excess of 6 million dollars. That’s more than most league players.

Wash that down with your $10 draft

110. thereving7 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:11 PM

A few years ago was the last year I paid for (and will ever pay) Sunday ticket. I went on to listening to my team on radio and following game on the game tracker online. Spend money on a league with possibly fixed (influenced) outcomes doesn’t make sense to me. It seems like the higher ups, whomever they are, have picked winners or refs make bogus calls/mistakes on purpose to influence the game.. I am tired of it and if I watch football it’s I still enjoy the sport. Not only that, Goodell seems is very shady, and now a lot of articles are all fantasy driven. And how about how some people use fantasy stats and only fantasy stats to base their judgement on how good a player is,. You know, blocking is probably one of the main components of football. Too many fantasy geeks and sorry to say it women got into the sport and I think part of that may be killing to NFL. Seems like every 3 out of 5 articles are on fantasy football.

111. latenightroach says: Oct 11, 2016 4:11 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:27 PM
    Watching Trump take Crooked Hillary and her scary clown face to school…
    ——————————————————————-
    This is what everyone else watched.

112. idiot411 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:14 PM

Want ratings to jump, schedule the Pats on Primetime!

113. noringcircus says: Oct 11, 2016 4:16 PM

So you can protest, but they can’t???????????
    _______________________

Where did he say that the players can’t protest? Players can protest as much as they want as long as NFL allows them to do it, but he doesn’t have to watch them kneeling during the singing of the National Anthem. And apparently he’s not the only one not watching more games since this article is about decreasing NFL ratings.

114. margoadams says: Oct 11, 2016 4:18 PM

More #DeflateGate Karma. Just the beginning.

115. mark4steelers says: Oct 11, 2016 4:20 PM

People hate politics. When you use the NFL to spread political messages, people will stop watching. I have no interest in the Politically Correct NFL.

116. ohand16 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:23 PM

You want ratings? Put Patriots-Bills in prime time in 3 weeks. There has to be a story line….otherwise most people don’t give a crap

117. buttfumbles says: Oct 11, 2016 4:25 PM

Sorry but I’m not watching three hours of commercials with Bucs-Panthers or Bengals-Dolphins plays in between.

118. 4sacroc says: Oct 11, 2016 4:29 PM

Garbage like Derek Anderson is yet ANOTHER reason fans turn channel.

119. icanthink4myself says: Oct 11, 2016 4:31 PM

11 of 12 viewers think there are too many commercials, the product on the field isn’t very good, the matchups in prime time are bad, the officiating is suspect at best, the rules don’t allow defenses to compete which panders to fantasy football and the man in charge is incompetent with his own agenda.

120. dtroxallday says: Oct 11, 2016 4:36 PM

Steelers vs Chargers last week? While we can play the “I know what he means” card, that leaves everything else you say up to the same discretion. You need to say what you mean, not leave it up to everyone’s individual discretion if you’re trying to make a point. You can’t even remember who played last Sunday’s primetime game, which you’re trying to use as a specific example to make your point. I should believe anything after that is credible?

121. mmack66 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:41 PM

Substandard officiating is killing it for folks as well.

You know it is bad when a guy recovers his own fumble, yet they inexplicably reward the football to the other team.

The replacement referees saw that play and they unanimously agreed that it was the worst piece of officiating ever.

122. bigbluelou says: Oct 11, 2016 4:41 PM

Get rid of Al Michaels and CC. please, they lull me to sleep.

123. yourunclerico says: Oct 11, 2016 4:42 PM

its simple. stop cheating. parity means parity, not giving certain teams an unfair advantage with timely calls/non calls or just plain blown calls. tape doesnt lie – and after the crap last year, people have finally had enough.
    donkeys * * * forever (cheat!)

124. mackcarrington says: Oct 11, 2016 4:42 PM

You know you’ve become a nation of soft whiners when silent, peaceful, protest rocks the very foundation of your soul. If you stop watching football because of 3 minutes at the beginning of the game, then you aren’t really a football fan anyway.

125. djteknision1200 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:43 PM

Stop blaming the anthem protest. No one is even watching for that anymore. That news cycle has passed. Just look at the teams playing in primetime,it’s bad football and you will have your answer. Folks are quick to blame the anthem protest and I bet they are the first to leave the room when the anthem comes on. It’s the product on the field!!! I love football and had NO interest in watching last night.

126. key740 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:45 PM

I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan and I only watch their games and keep an eye on the rest of the NFC East.

127. iamapatsfan says: Oct 11, 2016 4:45 PM

antkowiak666 says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:17 PM

——

So much this. With the availability of being able to watch soccer, I find it very hard to sit down for a football game anymore. Soccer on tv is about 1:50 or so for a 90 minute game. Football is 3+ bours for a 1 hour game.

Soccer is 50% more paying time, but only 2/3rds as long total, and only one set of commercials the whole time. For me, it’s easy which one I end up enjoying more.

128. nomoreseasontix says: Oct 11, 2016 4:47 PM

I’ve got news for you, NFL, it’s not the election.
    Most people I know hardly pay attention anymore.
    Figure it out.

129. sariff420 says: Oct 11, 2016 4:48 PM

Commercials and lame match ups.

130. yourunclerico says: Oct 11, 2016 4:49 PM

the nfl ruined its own market.
    cheating
    soap operas
    watering down the product to appeal to women

its all jumped shark. its over goodell. give us our damn game back!

131. annapterp says: Oct 11, 2016 4:50 PM

The product is getting worse every year.

The slow decline of the NFL continues….

132. petedutcherjr says: Oct 11, 2016 4:53 PM

The so-called “protests” during the nation anthem are the culprit.

I have a perfect solution.

Stop showing them on camera. That doesn’t stop them from protesting, it just keeps them from getting attention because of it.

Problem solved.

133. The Truth says: Oct 11, 2016 4:57 PM

When you’re blabbing all week about the return of a cheater playing against a team that wouldn’t be ranked in the the top 20 in the AP college poll you got problems

134. pkrlvr says: Oct 11, 2016 5:01 PM

I find it funny that for decades we’ve supported players who are drug addicts, dead beat dad’s, child and wife abusers, liars, cheats, etc. No problem there, but as soon as they start these stupid protests everyone is “done with football”. Ironic.

135. greenmtnboy31 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:03 PM

I haven’t watched a baseball game all summer, but I chose to watch baseball the last two evenings rather than the integrity challenged NFL. I declined to purchase the NFL package on my satellite service and I have declined to attend any games when I was offered tickets. I was also recently online looking at some baseball style hats of my favorite team, but then decided to buy one from my favorite NHL team instead. My avoidance of the NFL has nothing to do with elections and everything to do with a corrupt Goodell tarnishing the shield and destroying the integrity of the game.

136. jgedgar70 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:09 PM

I still watch, because I’m a football addict, and I really don’t have any desire to admit I have a problem or to be cured. But even I have a breaking point.

It was excruciating and embarrassing to watch my team destroy itself on national TV last night. I have no beef with anyone who didn’t watch or turned it off after the first quarter.

Like many others have said here, there are plenty of reasons for the ratings decline: horrible officiating (I literally fell off my chair on Sunday when Steratore actually said out loud, “after a brief conversation”), that some games appear to be fixed, the endless stream of commercials (that applies to every program on every channel), but most of all, how deaf the owners and league office are to the fans.

(Side note: I don’t want to hear anyone complain about celebration penalties. Y’all bitch and scream every time Cam Newton displays even the slightest inkling that he’s having fun and call him every evil word in the English language. So spare me your “outrage” at those flags.)

Back to the league/owners… We only need games on Sunday. If you want to keep Monday, OK, but the prime time games should start at 7:00 Eastern. If you’re in the Pacific Time Zone and offended by this, get over it and get a DVR like everyone else. Stop all the exclusive rights deals. Do like MLB, NBA and NHL and make your “all the games” package available to all TV providers (you’ll make more money that way). Simplify the rule book. If he has the ball in both hands and 2 feet in bounds, it’s a catch. End of story. Jack up the ad rates so there can be fewer commercials (they WILL pay; see the Super Bowl ad revenue for reference).

You can’t sell your product if you don’t have customers. Stop treating customers like they work for you, and see how much more loyal they get.

137. athwartships says: Oct 11, 2016 5:10 PM

Anyone who goes to a live event knows exactly why ratings are dropping…..the games are taking WAY TOO LONG. The TV timeouts have gone ridiculous, the pace, the flags, the nonsense is stupid. I stopped going to love games for those and other reasons like the constant need for blaring music and noise from the speakers when nothing is happening to the fans.

Now, I have started to turn the games off at home because of the pace, tv timeouts, flags…..go figure.

138. linemanguy74 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:12 PM

Commercials and Refs are killing the game

139. plum54 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:14 PM

The truth must have slept through 7th grade scinence class, by any chance were Vincent & Kensil sitting beside you????

140. tylawspick6 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:15 PM

roger lied, the nfl has died

141. leef2020 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:16 PM

I don’t watch much anymore, as I am sick of funding Roger Goodell, his ego, and his billion-dollar owners’ money-making NFL machine. They continue to raise prices and constantly seek taxpayer bailouts and tax incentives for their enterprises, which perpetuates income inequality and social injustice.

When they pay every worker who works at the NFL venues an actual ‘living wage’, get back to me.

142. greglloydrules says: Oct 11, 2016 5:16 PM

Move the Patriots @ Steelers game to prime time and watch the ratings skyrocket. Enough of the snoozefest put the best conference match ups on. I also wonder if the NFL is taking into account the ratings on streaming. Cable and satellite television are dying, streaming is the future.

143. bryonneufeld says: Oct 11, 2016 5:17 PM

The ratings are down but still very strong. There could be a combination of factors at work:
    1. Election
    2. Anthem protests
    3. Retirement of Peyton Manning (that is not a joke)
    4. Bad early season matchups

144. roadtrip3500 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:18 PM

The prime time games are generally not good until the flex scheduling starts for Sunday nights. The Thursday night games are bad enough because they’re often division games with at least one bad team involved (and don’t get me started on “Color Rush”). The Monday night games are hopefuls based on last year’s teams, but usually end up mediocre. The flexed games are understandably cream of the crop for playoff-bound teams, so they’re worth watching.

Add in the new national morning games in London, and you have somebody, even without the Ticket, who may have 6 games to watch that week, and 4 on Sunday from 9:30 am Eastern to almost midnight. We’re getting a little burned out… if I have no team or division interest in the 4/4:25 game, I find myself not watching as much as I used to.

145. Duckhomie says: Oct 11, 2016 5:18 PM

It took some doing, but I now watch international soccer instead of the NFL, the withdrawals have not been too bad and I highly recommend it. Still watch the NCAA. Roll Tide.

146. tylawspick6 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:18 PM

pastabelly nails it way above.

i had this all pegged years ago

when he moves the jags to london, yes, we will know it is completely done as we know it.

the goodell era is now a platform for wild greed and the fans’ intelligence (those who have college degrees and are not stupid) is being insulted on an almost daily basis.

THAT is why ratings are down.

147. snaponrules says: Oct 11, 2016 5:20 PM

truthprofessor says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:47 PM
    Fire Roger, then I watch. It’s all on Roger’s incompetence.

If you think I’m alone, you are flat-out stupid.

========================================================

If you think that even 1% of people outside of nasty clam chowderville care at all about anything related to Brady or the most cheating franchise in the history of sports. you would be flat out stupid.

Literally every championship has a *, total of zero titles without cheating.
    Without a doubt the most whiney little girl playing QB and the fans are just like him. Everytime she get touched she is whining for a flag. Every story has to have little whining cheatriot fans complaining about getting punished for cheating. Here’s a thought, maybe have your team stop cheating. Except in NE that would be directly related to win counts for the year. Good thing they play in the powderpuff division.

148. fazzle1 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:28 PM

TV ratings across the board are down for EVERYTHING. It’s not an election thing. It’s not an anthem thing. It’s a “people just don’t watch anywhere near as much TV as they used to” thing. The NFL isn’t safe from this just like every other thing on TV isn’t safe. The way people consume media is changing, and the NFL needs to change with it.

149. astiowa says: Oct 11, 2016 5:28 PM

It’s no one thing, its far more complex than that and far more ominous for the NFL. For years I’ve heard more people than I can count say “I love football, but I hate the NFL”, yet they would continue to watch the NFL. The league has gone out of its way for over a decade giving everyone several things to hate about it. Watching NFL games used to be an event, something you could only do on Sunday and then for one more, last, special, game of the week on Monday night. Now with Thursday football its on 3 out of 7 days of the week. Add to that college football being on most of the other nights and the NFL is no longer an event. The owners also used the new rookie salary scale to push the average player to become younger and cheaper; but also often less experienced and less skilled. Add in the frustrating rule changes, inconsistent officiating, not being able to clearly and concisely define an element as basic as a catch; and you have a diluted product that is less compelling, yet far more available. Now instead of making it a point to watch when football is on TV, you have less reason to watch it and more chance to watch it; so you’re more willing to skip it to do something else. Add any one of the possible motivators for any individual to skip it; be it a protest, nice weather, the NFL no longer being an escape from politics, etc.; and all of the sudden you have people getting out of the habit of watching. That starts to snowball and the NFL will have a real problem on their hands. At that point even if those factors that drew people away from watching no longer exist, there’s no guarantee they’re coming back. Their viewing patterns, weekend plans, etc. have changed and the NFL won’t be able to get them back without a compelling reason for people to change back.

150. Spencer says: Oct 11, 2016 5:30 PM

I guess these ratings are the new normal. Does anyone really care that much either way? If there’s a game I want to watch, it doesn’t matter to me if it comes in last in the ratings – I’m watching it.

151. blkandgld4eva says: Oct 11, 2016 5:32 PM

Cuban is right about the NFL, but he should be more concerned about fixing the NBA. They play for 6 months and it usually comes down to a half dozen teams at most. And I hate Goodell as much as anyone, but people forget that he works FOR the owners. He is basically a CEO and his main job is to put as much money as possible into the their pockets. So until revenues drop the owners will be content regardless of what the product on the field is.

152. norcalcard says: Oct 11, 2016 5:33 PM

Football was always kinda tough to watch for me, but the live action, drama, hits, created excitement in the air. sucked me in regardless. ARE READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL !

Nowadays ARE YOU READY FOR ADS that are selling EVERYTHING on the planet, Forced hype before the game, in the middle of the game, after the game, Manipulated games decide the outcome as much as the players by vague and overly complicated rules that are suspiciously timed, from game to game just like the NBA now.

But somehow, between No celebrations, no hitting, NBA like refs that use different rules for each game, What can anyone say? It eventually became just too easy to not care anymore about watching the painful prime time marathon games live, When I have my trusty phone by my side.

153. sharksman says: Oct 11, 2016 5:34 PM

Maybe the games that have been on prime time have sucked !!! Hmmm can that be it
    Watched some of the after game last night and could someone please protest and get Trent Dilfer kicked off my TV.

154. favreisadouche says: Oct 11, 2016 5:39 PM

NFL is dying

155. purplekoolaid1 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:41 PM

There are some excellent reasons why ratings are falling that have already been posted, so I won’t repeat any of them. But there is one more that often gets overlooked. It is the officials marching to a specific TV camera spot on the field, turning their mic on, and making an often way too detailed speech about a penalty.

Think about it … why is this needed? Think of other sports like basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. The official will give a hand gesture and keep the game moving along. Why can’t they do that in the NFL?

I understand they want the fans to be able to follow the game and know what’s going on, but all they have to do is put the penalty on the scoreboard at the games or on the TV screen if watching at home.

I’ve seen way too many explanations about a call that are way too detailed and just delay the game even more. It’s totally not needed in my opinion.

156. tylawspick6 says: Oct 11, 2016 5:43 PM

the best was goodell lying again and saying they interviewed gomer about guyer, and then goodell lied and covered form harrison, peppers and matthews because of it.

note how the info on neal is not even available because nobody cares because it is mike neal.

the constant bombardment of lying by goodell, treating the customer lime a moron, over and over, is the main reason.

the fans feel like they are being used and duped

157. genericcommenter says: Oct 11, 2016 6:00 PM

Nice pic of Roger Goddell there.

158. rportkid says: Oct 11, 2016 6:03 PM

I love it. The NFL is imploding and they deserve it.

159. norcalcard says: Oct 11, 2016 6:11 PM

With the Internet, and you must consider this: I’d rather visit a football site on the Internet then push through that boring marathon with Jon Gruden torturing my ears the whole way.

The Internet is a much faster alternative to consume everything football related, then be forced to watch a product being milked dry by Disney and the rest of the antiquated cable/Satellite stations.

Here’s your buzz feed: The NFL has become so much more about selling football then delivering the REAL LIVE ACTION football games. I’m not setting aside the better part of 4 hours three nights a week anymore, when I can visit a football site and read a condensed version of last nights game, plus clips of the actual five minutes of plays that the refs didn’t overturn. It was never about dislike for the currant unpopular owner’s ax man, Did we ever consume prime time NFL games because we LIKED Goodell?

160. thelomasbrowns says: Oct 11, 2016 6:14 PM

The number of holding penalties is just ridiculous. Surprised there’s not more discussion of moving the refs back to where they were 5-6 years ago.

161. whiskeytangoflock says: Oct 11, 2016 6:17 PM

Its the commercials. Best way to watch football anymore:

1.) Live, but thats pricy.

2.)NFL Mobile ap the day after the game. Replay the whole game, any game, as many times as you want no commercials or only the consequential plays in 30min no commercials its just a day late and costs $100/year.

3.)Next best is my buddies house with 3 screens and DTV boxes. Start watching 1.5 hours after kickoff and skip commercials. Expensive for him.

4.)The Sports bar with every game. My wife really loves the days I spend all day at the bar.

My personal favorite this year is this new thing I have discovered. It beams in over the airwaves into this Walkman thing I picked up at the second hand store. I get local announcers that really know my team, they dont have much time for whatever the F Phil Simms does and my lawn looks great!

162. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Oct 11, 2016 6:21 PM

Bring back Tebow and watch ratings skyrocket. Believe it or not, middle America needs someone they can identify with and Tebow is that person.

163. mogogo1 says: Oct 11, 2016 6:23 PM

Games take forever and lots of bad matchups in prime time this year.

164. kmartin173 says: Oct 11, 2016 6:23 PM

All these excuses crack me up. Like its Goodell’s fault, even as useless as he is.

Its the same game its been for the last 50 years….easy to see what’s different this year.

165. Juan says: Oct 11, 2016 6:31 PM

Who needs to watch the Giants ? You know they will commit penalties/turnovers to aid the opponent. Try to establish a ground game that’s non existent. See Eli under duress & rarely throw more than 10 yards downfeld.

They need to play on a 50 yard field with their anemic offense.

166. bert1913 says: Oct 11, 2016 6:43 PM

mark cuban was watching while eating hot buttered popcorn

167. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: Oct 11, 2016 6:54 PM

Its laughable all the excuses.

Heres the Bottom Line:

The NFL sucks. The football sucks, the commercials suck, Goodell and the owners are corrupt scumbags, the rules are flat out stupid, the penalties on almost every play. The announcers analyzing every frame of any replay.

Thats why ratings are down. Nothing else is qhy they are down

168. dickroy says: Oct 11, 2016 6:57 PM

I used to watch all of the NFL games on Sunday and Monday night for the longest time. Now I watch all of the Steelers games when they are on, (I live in Cincy) if not I watch the Red Zone. I agree with most people here I am so sick of all of the commercials. You can’t watch 5 minutes of the game without one. Also the moving of games outside the US is ticking me off.

169. thevoice0freason says: Oct 11, 2016 6:58 PM

“Brady was gone 4 weeks and I forgot how in control and commanding he is. Watching other teams with their awful quarterbacking ( Rothlesberger and Rogers aside) and inept play was painful. Goodell took the best player away and it exposed the league to how brutally bad the league as a whole is…Goodell and the owners got what they wanted..live with it.”

———–

“As much as I like Brady and the Patriots, there’s no way one guy could make that much difference. There are a ton of factors.”

Is it a coincidence that the week Brady comes back NFL ratings for the regional time slot are way up (+8 percent) from Week 5 last year? Meanwhile all other ratings in the other time slots when he wasn’t playing continue to be way down. I don’t think you can discount the Brady effect so easily, which only makes Goodell’s decision to pursue the draconian suspension even more odd.

170. truths4all says: Oct 11, 2016 6:58 PM

Ratings are down and will continue to drop because the NFL ventured into being Politically Correct by actively supporting alternate lifestyles, political protests, the dictatorial abuses by Goodell, and the arbitrary bad calls and non-calls by refs favoring certain teams.

Just as the NBA lost its golden era of TV viewership by becoming PC and endorsing blatant calls and non-calls for certain teams and players, the NFL has blindly followed and jumped off the same cliff.

171. nufcedmcgreevey says: Oct 11, 2016 6:58 PM

Goodell is driving the NFL into the ground with an endless parade of penalties being called, suspensions for nothing and commercials that never end.

172. rainsarge says: Oct 11, 2016 7:00 PM

Were people really supposed to tune in for Camless Panthers in a death spiral vs the Yucs who haven’t been relevent since Chucky was the coach?

173. osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says: Oct 11, 2016 8:11 PM

Kaepernick, too many penalties, you can’t hit anyone anymore, women refs screwing up calls, pink uniforms, flag protests.

Not hard to figure out.

The NFL has ignored the real fans who built the league in favor of feminizing the game to appeal more to women. Now the men are turning their backs on the wimpy new NFL and the flag protests are hurting the league with Americans who actually love their country.

174. qbarrel says: Oct 11, 2016 8:17 PM

rportkid says:
    Oct 11, 2016 6:03 PM
    I love it. The NFL is imploding and they deserve it.

—————

Although it sounds counter-intuitive, I think most true football fans feel this way. The NFL have been poor stewards of the game, chasing every available dollar and putting the experience out of reach for many families. Of course, they are entitled to do this and it makes sense from a business perspective. That is, until the rest of us start tuning out and stop buying tix, merch, etc.

175. frenzy95 says: Oct 11, 2016 8:18 PM

I haven’t watched a single snap of football since the taunting call against Pryor vs the Ravens. I have found better things to do with my Sunday’s, Monday’s and Thursday’s.

I miss the days when a defense could jump across the line and get back and the offense wasn’t allowed to move. If they did it was a false start. The game has become to sissyfied as well. So what if someone taunts or celebrates. It is entertaining and the NFL’s sole purpose is to provide entertainment. I went back to baseball and haven’t looked back.

176. nbptma1 says: Oct 11, 2016 8:22 PM

Russia needs to hack the NFL offices.

Wouldn’t we ALL like to see what’s in their email!!!!

177. kerzondax says: Oct 11, 2016 8:23 PM

Too many bad teams. Too many bad games. Over exposure. Rule changes that don’t make sense and rule changes that should be imposed. What’s a catch? Most game announcers horrible. Concussions. Injuries. Cover-ups.

The list goes on.

But at the end of the day, the product is just bad. How many good teams are there? 10?

178. npadln says: Oct 11, 2016 8:26 PM

jjackwagon

**********************************
    Some average Joes are tired of reading these other average Joes’ clueless comments. Stay on topic. Not all of us are Trump supporters.

179. JSpicoli says: Oct 11, 2016 8:34 PM

Deny
    Deny
    Deny

180. JSpicoli says: Oct 11, 2016 8:36 PM

These are not the droids you are looking for, said Mike

181. JSpicoli says: Oct 11, 2016 8:37 PM

osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says:
    Oct 11, 2016 8:11 PM

Not hard to figure out.

_________________________________________-

^^^^^^This

182. bullcharger says: Oct 11, 2016 8:38 PM

frenzy95 says:
    Oct 11, 2016 8:18 PM

——————–

It’s impossible for me to believe that anyone would take the time to find this article, read this article and comment here if they are not a huge NFL fan. If you went back to baseball then why are you here?

183. JSpicoli says: Oct 11, 2016 8:40 PM

And postseason baseball sizzles as always.

The last of the pure sports, MLB.

184. JSpicoli says: Oct 11, 2016 8:41 PM

We are here despite not watching, due to the general pissed off feeling of having a favorite sport ruined.

Get it now?

185. bullcharger says: Oct 11, 2016 8:46 PM

shlort says:
    Oct 11, 2016 4:01 PM

——————-

While I agree that is a factor, I think it’s perceived not observed. If you watch the game they barely show anything or they don’t show anything related to the protests. They certainly don’t call it out on the broadcast. So I don’t know how it could actually bother anyone watching. You always have the option to turn the TV on 1 min later too and miss any possibility of seeing it.

You will get much more of it reading articles and commenting here, which you are happily doing. If you didn’t follow any NFL news I am not sure you would know it was going on. I know plenty of people that watch the NFL casually that had no idea.

It is turning some viewers away for sure, but in a sense they are also protesting. It’s not because they are offended from watching.

186. vikingsnyc5 says: Oct 11, 2016 8:46 PM

debate was probably the largest factor in such a drop. However would someone please kill Thursday Night Football. At the minimum let it start week 10 to give it a special feel instead of the warmup match preseason feel it has now.

187. cavington says: Oct 11, 2016 8:47 PM

You mean the terrible Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers drew low ratings. There’s a shocker. The terrible Bears playing some other team, yeah I’m stunned ratings are horrible.

188. brendafortheboyz says: Oct 11, 2016 8:52 PM

Think ratings are bad now? Wait until next week, with Kaep starting…or it could go the other way, with the many football fans, who want him knocked out of the game…..

189. autumnwind999 says: Oct 11, 2016 8:55 PM

blowpackblow says:
    Oct 11, 2016 3:21 PM

——————-

Yeah. But you’ll be paying for it too, Bub.

190. gianthater says: Oct 11, 2016 8:58 PM

Keep changing the rules, keep taking the physically out of the game, keep calling penalties every other play, stop play for commercials, keep calling ghost penalties, and sad to say, what did you, the owners and Goodell expect. Afraid of lawsuits, that’s what it’s all about. Meanwhile the lingerie league is becoming the new NFL. What a disgrace this league has become. They had to fix something that was never broke, and now their paying the price. Alex Boone said, ‘This is a mans game, let us play, stop with all these calls.’

191. daringhart13 says: Oct 11, 2016 9:27 PM

It is a bland version of the WWF at this point.

Mark Cuban is smiling.

192. bspurloc says: Oct 11, 2016 9:36 PM

like there wasn’t baseball playoffs going on…

get rid of thursday games
    get rid of early morning sunday games.

its too much… football is sunday afternoon and monday night. that’s it.

193. immafubared says: Oct 11, 2016 9:41 PM

Its simple, we sat all winter chomping at the bit, then the draft, then the lull before tranign camp and pre season then wham, the season starts and we find out: NO sucks, the rams are 50/50, same old lions, bears stink bad, colts look lost, panthers are more kittens, jax and miami are so so, thus the matchups of two teams that suck are sending all of us to the hgtv network.
    This thursday, a weak san diego team against denver? Why bother

194. jake6879 says: Oct 11, 2016 9:47 PM

Blame the debates or Kaepernick all you want but when you have low tier QBs playing every week looking like hall of famers, the game is garbage and there’s no reason to get excited about it.. I watch all the Redskins games but outside of that, I barely watch NFL this year..

195. mlander12 says: Oct 11, 2016 9:55 PM

It’s a bunch of Factors all adding up at the same time.

1. Boring Prime Time games. Flex already.
    2. Cord-Cutters. Sell streaming online already.
    3. Between penalties, too many commercials and and imbalanced game it’s becoming harder to watch.
    4. Morons who somehow think respectful protests for a real problem are too much for there whiny sensibilities and they have to shield themselves from it as much as possible.
    5. And the elections are playing a small part.

196. mikebel11 says: Oct 11, 2016 9:57 PM

Commercials are out of hand.
    Stoppages/delays are out of hand.
    Penalties for everything are out of hand.
    Catering the entire broadcast/game/analysis to fantasy football is waaaaay out of hand.

197. marshmont says: Oct 11, 2016 10:16 PM

i can’t stand the commis…too many changes in the game..did you ever think the extra point needed to be more exciting>??there needs to be less rules. two personals and ejection is terrible. there can be an ejection at any time as it was/is.

198. deacon75 says: Oct 11, 2016 10:41 PM

LIFE LONG NFL FAN,

1) Loved to watch NFL ratings rise and sport become more popular every year
    2) Lost my zeal for what once was my favorite
    3) My own viewership is down by at least 50%
    4) I had DIRECTV NFL Ticket cancelled this year ( after 12 years straight of buying it)

CAUSE : Spoiled brat NFL players going to their millionaire overpaid jobs and Kneeling or Raising Fists during anthem …. They can go straight to HELL . This Bullsht is now going down to the High School level..
    MY hard core NFL friends and family feel the same !

BS excuses of Politics, Too many games, Key players out are all LAME .. its because of these DAMN protests and the NFL will not face the reality. NFL office scared because of racial impact to correct this issue. NFL said they encourage players expression, watch this huge monster crumble…

I am telling you people fed up with A Hole players getting millions and doing a worthless protest that means nothing besides disrespect of the Country. I HOPE THEIR RATINGS TANK AND THEY COME TO REALIZE

THIS IS COMING FROM a 30 YEAR DEVOTED NFL FAN !!! NFL Players can go to HELL ….

199. boca12 says: Oct 11, 2016 10:41 PM

Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge……

200. fafaflunky says: Oct 11, 2016 11:01 PM

For all you people complaining about the nfl. Stop going to games stop buying merchandise. You won’t

201. charger383 says: Oct 11, 2016 11:22 PM

The customer is not happy with the product

New Coke was a failure too

202. senky3 says: Oct 11, 2016 11:28 PM

for all of you people that blame goodell, the billionaires salute you. Just take off your hate goggles and try to think for a minute. He works directly for the owners. He doesn’t make any rules or initiate anything the owners don’t want him too. they pay him big bucks to be the one the fans hate on. you think his salary is big, how much do the owners make a year off of their team?

203. frenzy95 says: Oct 11, 2016 11:36 PM

@bullcharger

Believe it. I haven’t watched any football since week 2. I check out certain sites while at work on my breaks or during lunch. I committed to a dynasty fantasy football league and I use this site and a few others to see if my players are practicing or not.

204. pondbridge says: Oct 12, 2016 12:15 AM

Goodell took the credit (and outrageous salary) for merely being a caretaker of what others built, so now that he’s largely responsible for killing the golden goose, he gets much of the blame, too. Not just the BountyGate and DeflateGate mis-prosecutions, or joke approaches to head trauma such as merely prohibiting use of different helmets. Being a rich, fat slow like that OTHER orange orca, Goodell has no sense for the little man. If Vince Lombardi was sitting on the executive committee, HE’D have asked the critical question– ‘With all of these ridiculously expensive stadium ticket prices and special TV viewing packages, how is an Average Joe fan possibly able to follow his team closely- he/she can’t. You’re alienating the average fan.’

205. hang3xc says: Oct 12, 2016 12:26 AM

To all the people boycotting over the national anthem. Unless you have a Nielsen ratings box, your voice is not being heard and you are accomplishing absolutely nothing. Thee is also the fact that most all who are protesting have made it perfectly clear it has nothing to do with the men and women who fought for our country and everything to do with police killing people like it just doesn’t matter.

Unarmed people have been “killed for walking with a purpose” (look up the quote if you don’t know that story), children killed for not responding within a single second of an order being issued (Tamir Rice)

206. hang3xc says: Oct 12, 2016 12:29 AM

At the same time, a terrorist who had planted bombs that exploded and then engaged in an actual gunfight with police, was somehow taken into custody alive.

So, if someone actively shooting it out with cops can be taken alive, probably because they want to interrogate him, then it would seem that taken people in alive who AREN’T shooting at them shouldn’t be too difficult, if they WANT to take the person in alive.

207. psljax says: Oct 12, 2016 6:16 AM

I used to be taken back by the millionaire players who many times are too dumb to know who pays thier the money….the fans. Now I add in the greedy owners and the corrupt administration (Goodell and the league office). It is too much to accept. Now every facet of the nfl will pimp thier soul for money.

208. richndc says: Oct 12, 2016 9:01 AM

Boy, this one brought out the whiners. Lower ratings has nothing to do with Kap, protests whatsoever. Nonsense. The NFL courted the casual fan, had their peak moment and that is now gone. Simply put, the fans who go to a Super Bowl party, yammer about nothing the whole game, then stop when others yell in excitement to watch the highlights, these are the fans who have now moved on to the next shiny new thing. Lady Gaga performing at halftime wont bring them back. They were never really fans in the first place. Frustration with the game being reduced to lawyer arguments has hurt, but I still watch, have for 40 years, so have many other loyal fans.

209. j0esixpack says: Oct 12, 2016 1:18 PM

Let’s do an experiment.

We know what the ratings are like with Goodell as commissioner

Let’s see what they’re like after he’s fired!

Goodell’s public reaction to “Spygate” – an issue related to an obscure new 2006 rule on camera location – created the perception that signal filming is somehow illegal when it’s not – yet undermined the trust and integrity of the game thanks to the Commissioner’s bizarre reaction

Now Goodell has divided fans even more – those who are gullible and ignorant believe Roger’s contention that the Laws of Physics don’t apply to the Football field and thus they believe that Brady cheats. The majority of fans know that PSI drops in the cold and look at Goodell’s suspension of Brady as proof that the Commissioner is trying to fix the outcome of games and the season.

In both cases, Goodell has done nothing but undermine public support of the NFL through his corruption and incompetence

No wonder the ratings are falling – who wants to watch fixed games?

210. lowesislander says: Oct 12, 2016 3:33 PM

I’m not very political, so I’m tired of turning on any sort of mainstream media and being told how I (a white male) am the cause of every problem in the world. Now, when I turn on the NFL, the players are reminding me of that too.

I’d rather just hang out with my family and play with my dog.

211. yourunclerico says: Oct 12, 2016 4:54 PM

hang3xc says: – nothing is anyone’s fault. they are all a bunch of victims….
    of course, none of the ppl your defending actually listen to the police or follow the law..
    but yeah, its the cops fault…

212. trollaikman8 says: Oct 12, 2016 6:31 PM

2 words: injured Romo.

The media is already abuzz just because he’s throwing again. Just watch.

213. trollaikman8 says: Oct 12, 2016 6:41 PM

Jokes aside, I good theory I recently heard is that the so called “middle-class” football player has been squeezed out and therefore quality football has been replaced with sloppy games:

All the of the cap goes to 2 players, usually the QB & a WR.
    What remains is a team of 24yr olds learning on the job and a few washed up vets playing for the minimum.

The 28yr old prime mid-tier player has to fight for scraps, or hope to get overpaid with a massive FA contract (looking at you Victor Cruz/Olivier Vernon) that he’ll never truly earn.

Basically it’s turned into a young mans game (or franchise QB). Those young players just haven’t been marketable.

214. bghogs says: Oct 12, 2016 7:03 PM

Explain a “catch” again!

215. jetfanfolife says: Oct 13, 2016 8:40 AM

Stand for the National Anthem you ungrateful maggots

216. billmiller1991 says: Oct 13, 2016 9:01 AM

It’s funny to hear everyone complain about Goodell. They complained about Rozelle and Tagliabue almost–not quite, but almost–as much. I go back to too many teams, too little talent spread too thinly –> too many bad teams, too many games with bad teams. There are 512 regular season NFL games each year. Think about that. And most of those games are simply not worth most people’s time. I feel they jumped the shark when they added Jacksonville and Carolina in the mid-90s. I can remember watching the supplemental draft and thinking, how are existing teams supposed to be any good when they just give away some of their better players, AND the existing teams lost 14 draft picks to the new franchises. Then they added Houston and Cleveland in 2002, bending over backwards to make those team competitive as soon as possible. The owners of old franchises didn’t mind losing out on the field, because they knew their profits would grow. This is karma.

217. jetblackninja says: Oct 13, 2016 10:03 AM

I refuse to watch other teams besides my own for now.

My main reason is Goodell, I think the majority reason in the protests.

The NFL butters it’s bread with the exact type of people who ain’t having that crap.

218. itsfootballfolks says: Oct 15, 2016 7:03 PM

harrisonhits and grogansheroes – perfectly put.

I would add that the thought of watching a league run by a lying, anything-but-transparent, crooked, egomaniac turns my stomach.

I wonder if the owner of the team I follow (the Pats) is still following the flaming liar around like a puppy dog?

219. Thetruthis says: Oct 17, 2016 4:13 PM

The ratings drop (significant numbers) is NOT due to the 1 minute protests-although some people may.

People love undefeated matches. Last year this time there were quite a few undefeated teams. People also love powerhouse teams. The Panthers, and other such teams made people want to watch them even if they were NOT there team.

Everyone watches their own teams. What makes people watch games that are not their own-great play on defense and or offense. If the Panthers were still playing lights out-more people would be watching. The two rookie QB’s that are doing well, they were not college greats like Jameis Winston and Mariota last year. People wanted to see what they were going to do.

And DEFINITELY-BAD OFFICIATING(THAT STUPID CLEVELAND FUMBLE GIVEAWAY TO THE SKINS???????) AND THOSE STUPID COMMERICIALS AND BREAKS!!!!

220. boss81hogg says: Oct 18, 2016 9:21 AM

Changing the name of a bad football team that no one cares about will fix the viewership dilemma.

Sarcasm

221. britt says: Oct 18, 2016 3:08 PM

All the people complaining about the protesting and kneeling… really? You’re THAT sensitive? Your emotions are THAT fragile?

Wow. A couple seconds of seeing total strangers kneeling on your TV keeps you from enjoying a sport you’ve enjoyed your entire life. Those athletes would be happy to know they can affect your life that much!

222. deepizzaguy says: Oct 18, 2016 7:45 PM

I just wonder if the negative reports of former football players dying to due to head injuries at young ages is a factor.
    One more detail is that streaming football games may be a factor in the ratings tanking for the networks.
    I do remember when television came into existence many people thought it would kill the movie industry. It did not.