Ryan Shazier says MCL sprain is “feeling a lot better”

PITTSBURGH, PA - AUGUST 28: Ryan Shazier #50 of the Pittsburgh Steelers warms up before a game against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field on August 28, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier confirmed he was dealing with another MCL sprain, but also said he was hoping for a quicker return than the last time he had this injury.

Shazier injured his knee in the opener, came back to play the following week, but aggravated it in Week Three. He missed last week’s game against the Jets, and missed four games with a similar injury in 2014.

It’s definitely feeling a lot better than two to three weeks ago,” Shazier said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m doing everything I can to make sure I have everything covered.”

The Steelers have two more games before their bye week, but Shazier isn’t ruling out a return before their Nov. 6 game at Baltimore.

“When you’re a player, and you’ve been going through a lot, it’s hard for anybody to sit out,” Shazier said. “I feel like I was ready to go, and then it happened. When we played Cincinnati, I was fine. This is a tough game, and things happen.”

“When you miss a lot of time, you hear stuff from people. I pride myself in being a competitor. I just want to be out there every time I can.”

Shazier has missed 13 of a possible 37 career games because of injuries, so he should be used to hearing some degree of it.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Ryan Shazier says MCL sprain is “feeling a lot better””
  1. NFLexpert says: Oct 11, 2016 9:31 AM

This is another one of those guys with marginal talent who talks a lot and can’t stay on the field…

2. bettis3636 says: Oct 11, 2016 9:40 AM

And Pitt is doing a great job as always with the “next man up” at LB…. no reason to rush Ryan back… Vince is doing a amazing job..!

3. mborz says: Oct 11, 2016 9:41 AM

NFLexpert says:
    Oct 11, 2016 9:31 AM

—————————–

The “can’t stay on the field” aspect is 100% true.

He’s definitely shown he’s more than a marginal talent though.

4. denver1983 says: Oct 11, 2016 9:54 AM

This dude is just creepy

5. ibroxroar67 says: Oct 11, 2016 10:13 AM

Vince is playing great…….Nice getting him signed to replace Timmons next season…

6. 700levelvet says: Oct 11, 2016 10:15 AM

Or it could be… He’s made of glass…

7. citizenstrange says: Oct 11, 2016 11:25 AM

The Steeler defense will need all hands on deck when the Steeler offense hangs their sweet, sweet, 3 points a game road stinkers.

8. folkcrusader says: Oct 11, 2016 12:20 PM

Not sure how anyone could say his talent is marginal. I’m far from a Steelers fan and I’m amazed by what the guy can do on the field. He’s an extremely elite athlete and one drawback of that is that injuries can effect him to a higher degree than someone that relies less on athletic talent.

9. goodellisagoner says: Oct 11, 2016 12:32 PM

Another Ohio State bust.

10. mark4steelers says: Oct 11, 2016 12:43 PM

If Shazier could stay healthy, he would be the best LB in the league. Problem is…the “if” haunts him far too frequently.

11. exiledinphilly says: Oct 11, 2016 12:45 PM

I assume he won’t practice or play this week but getting Shazier back for the Patriots game would be a huge help to the Steelers. Vince Williams has filled in well and is a good hitter but he’s not nearly as good in coverage. I’m really hoping not to see the Patriots TEs running uncovered through the Steelers secondary the way Gronk did in last year’s opener.

12. enoughofthatalready says: Oct 11, 2016 12:50 PM

citizenstrange says:
    Oct 11, 2016 11:25 AM

Actually, they are averaging 20.5 points per game on the road so far. They averaged 21.2 points per game on the road last year.

13. clashpoint says: Oct 11, 2016 3:11 PM

Oh yeah I’m sure it’s getting better. His best healing incentive was the 16 tackles Vince Williams made in the first game Shazier missed. Glad we signed Williams for three years in the off-season!

If Timmons will sign a cheap two year deal next off-season, plus Matekevitch, and Johnson and Fort, Pittsburgh has enough inside linebacker talent for years to come.

Unfortunately, the outside linebacker talent after Harrison eventually retires, well, not so good. I expect the #1 next year to be an outside pass rusher, despite the potential shown by Dupree and Chickillo. In the wise words of Mike Tomlin: Next man up!

Go Steelers!

14. littleseizures says: Oct 11, 2016 8:17 PM

When he comes back you play him outside and leave Williams as an inside starter.

15. steelcurtain7 says: Oct 12, 2016 12:11 AM

Move him to strong safety or he’ll spend the rest of his career trying to stay healthy. Or he needs to beef up 20 or 30 lbs. I’m sure that he’s afraid that he’ll lose his speed if he bulks up but something has to be done.