Blaine Gabbert on benching: “It sucks. I don’t like it”

CHICAGO, IL - DECEMBER 6: Blaine Gabbert #2 of the San Francisco 49ers celebrates after rushing for a 44-yard touchdown to tie the game in the fourth quarter against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on December 6, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. The 49ers defeated the Bears 26-20 in overtime. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images) Getty Images

Blaine Gabbert might have handled the news of his benching like a pro, according to coach Chip Kelly.

But the former 49ers starting quarterback was obviously not thrilled with the decision to replace him with Colin Kaepernick.

“It sucks,” Gabbert said, via Matt Maiocco of “I don’t like it. I don’t like not playing. I’m very forward about that.

“But, at the same time, I’m going to work the same way I’ve always worked the three years I’ve been here. Put my best foot forward. Still continue to prepare. I’m not going to slack on the film work just because I’m not playing.”

Gabbert, the former Jaguars first-rounder, “won” the offseason competition with Kaepernick for the starting job easily, Mostly, that’s because Kaepernick wasn’t participating, after a number of offseason surgeries, and a two-week bout of arm fatigue.

But with that chance, he didn’t do all that much. He threw five touchdowns and six interceptions in five starts, with anemic 5.9 yards per pass attempt and 178.0 yards per game averages. They rank 31st in the league in total offense and passing offense and have lost four straight.

“I gave it my best shot,” Gabbert said. “It wasn’t good enough. We didn’t win enough football games. We didn’t score enough points on the offensive side of the ball. That’s the way it goes. It’s a tough situation and coach Kelly had to make a call.”

While it’s not entirely his fault he’s been on two bad teams, Gabbert’s career record as a starter is 9-31. It’s hard to say he didn’t have something to do with that.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
20 Responses to “Blaine Gabbert on benching: “It sucks. I don’t like it””
  1. subotai1 says: Oct 12, 2016 6:05 AM

What a coincidence. 49er fans where saying the exact same thing about his QB play last week.

2. sixringslikeatelephone says: Oct 12, 2016 6:09 AM

He couldn’t very well say “I suck. I don’t like embarrassing myself.”

3. zoxitic says: Oct 12, 2016 6:29 AM

It sucks because you suck. Always have and always will.

4. MichaelEdits says: Oct 12, 2016 6:42 AM

Ah, just wait for Kaepernick to get “arm fatigue” again, and Christian Ponder to go down with an injury, and you’ll get your starting job back. And know that anybody whose career is with the Jaguars and the 49ers will probably have a losing record as a starter.

5. alewatcher says: Oct 12, 2016 6:46 AM

If that’s his best, it’s no wonder he got benched.

6. littleseizures says: Oct 12, 2016 6:49 AM

Well I didn’t like suffering through all those games you ruined as the Jags QB. Know your role.

7. joetoronto says: Oct 12, 2016 7:32 AM

Geez, I guess Blaine Gabbert isn’t all that great after all. I mean, he lost his job to Colin Kaepernick.

8. 2manyconcussions says: Oct 12, 2016 7:41 AM

It could have been worse. He didn’t dis the staff, was just being honest.

9. flexx91 says: Oct 12, 2016 7:48 AM

If that was his best shot, then obviously he’s not an NFL quarterback…..

10. cobrala2 says: Oct 12, 2016 8:13 AM

If Blaine Gabbert sucks then he fits in perfectly at San Francisco.

11. fin72 says: Oct 12, 2016 8:34 AM

You’re’re Blaine Gabbert… you suck… you never should have been starting in the first place. Just shut your pretty mouth and go back to the bench where you belong.

12. icallbs81 says: Oct 12, 2016 8:48 AM

9 wins 31 loses.

13. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Oct 12, 2016 10:15 AM

he might have noted that his play has been pretty bad, and led them to the decision they were trying to avoid, benching him.

14. coachwolf49 says: Oct 12, 2016 11:50 AM

9-31. Why did they ever start him??? Baalke???

15. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 12, 2016 3:43 PM

9ers have scored 14 offensive TDs this season, tied for 8th in league. Gabbert has put his team in the end zone as often, or more often than Rogers, Luck, Newton, Stafford, Palmer, Bortles, Winston, Mariota, Tannehill, Wilson, Bradford, Cutler, Smith, Flacco, Dalton, Manning, among others.

16. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 12, 2016 3:58 PM

…actually 9ers are tied for 6th in league in OTDs scored, but a couple teams have played one fewer game. Tied for 8th in OTD/G average. Their offense is in the middle of the pack in points scored overall, but the defense is near the bottom in points allowed. All this while their top WR was a spare part in Detroit a month or so ago, and their top receiving TE had 14 career catches through 5 years of college ball. They have played top 5 defenses in 4 of their 5 games so far.

Gabbert is just being used as a sacrifice to the unruly mob by Short Fat Chip Kelly, to distract attention from the fact that his former team is playing MUCH BETTER without him, and his former starting QB Bradford, is also playing MUCH BETTER without him.

17. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 12, 2016 9:42 PM

@littleseizures – Jaguars haven’t won any more games with Bortles over the same time period as they did with Gabbert, and Bortles has a lot more talent around him. Not to mention that he was a much higher draft pick and is being paid twice as much as Gabbert was.

18. vicnocal says: Oct 15, 2016 10:45 AM

Gabbert was not actually all that bad. He’s very athletic, first of all, more than people probably knew.

Secondly, outside of Carlos Hyde, the offense around him is full of mediocre guys.

There’s something there to work with, and he seems like a tough player.

19. tonebones says: Oct 16, 2016 10:35 AM

Being a backup QB in the NFL is one of the best jobs in America. You only have to work ten years, you’re financially set for life, and you don’t have the nagging injuries from a long playing career. Coaches can only make so many excuses before they become ex-coaches, so they have to at least try something else when their QB is constantly missing wide open guys, and dumping off when he should be trying to win. Gabbert, unfortunately, is what’s called a coach killer. The coach he got fired in Jacksonville is now in first place with the Raiders.

20. 1historian says: Oct 17, 2016 8:32 AM

I’ve never been a fan of the 49ers, but in the 80s and 90s I had to admire them, because it was a classy team, and an equally classy organization. I remember when they traded with the Pats for the overall #1 pick and that got them Jerry Rice, pretty much the all-time wide receiver. I remember how cool their QB was under the worst pressure, and how much that scared the opposition defenders.

Now their best known player is a guy who wears socks depicting policemen as pigs.