Brandin Cooks says he’ll keep shooting a bow and arrow

NEW ORLEANS, LA - DECEMBER 27:  Brandin Cooks #10 of the New Orleans Saints celebrates a touchdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars during the first quarter of a game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 27, 2015 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images) Getty Images

The NFL recently flagged and fined Washington cornerback Josh Norman for miming a bow and arrow. NFL senior V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino has since explained that the rule prohibiting the simulated use of weapons has been on the books for a while.

There’s only one problem with that. Other players have been miming a bow and arrow, without being penalized or disciplined.

One such player is Saints receiver Brandin Cooks, who has been making the gesture after each touchdown. According to Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Cooks intends to keep doing it.

“I’m going to figure it out, but I’m not going to change it,” Cooks said. “The league will have to deal with it. The reason for why I’m doing it and what’s behind why I’m doing it doesn’t have anything to do with violence. . . . So I’m not going to change what I’m doing to satisfy what the league wants. That’s not what I’m here to do.”

Cooks claims that he performs the bow-and-arrow move as a reference to a Biblical story about a boy named Ishmael, who used his archery skills to survive in the desert.

“It’s one of those things that they want to fine anything and get their little . . . whatever they want,” Cooks said. “They’re not going to stop me.”

The league may not stop Cooks, but coach Sean Payton will. Remember when the league wiped out the goal-post dunk after Jimmy Graham knocked a crossbar askew? Graham vowed to keep doing it until Payton pointed out that the team had no intent of consistently kicking off from its own 20.

The impact the move will have on the team is reason enough for Cooks to change his ways, unless he can finagle an Ishmael exemption from Roger Goodell and company.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
32 Responses to “Brandin Cooks says he’ll keep shooting a bow and arrow”
  1. shadywarrior says: Oct 12, 2016 8:57 AM

I love it. Fight for your right to party!

2. rutchaser says: Oct 12, 2016 9:04 AM

The bow and arrow move is an old one anyway.

3. xlichamps says: Oct 12, 2016 9:11 AM

There’s a rule prohibiting the simulated use of weapons now? Wth? Gee I can’t figure out why the ratings are down. This liberal PC bs is a plague that destroys everything in it’s wake.

4. PigskinHub says: Oct 12, 2016 9:17 AM

Well, you can keep doing it, Buddy. And the way the NFL will deal with it is by fining you and ultimately suspending you. So you win?

I hate some of these silly rules, but you know what? It’s not about you. It’s about your team. They’re going to get tired of being penalized for your own stubbornness.

5. amaf21 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:19 AM

He should be fine. League only has it in for the Redskins and Pats these days.

6. ryanvanslooten says: Oct 12, 2016 9:25 AM

I am now dumber for having read that. Only in the NFL, good grief.

7. sb44champs says: Oct 12, 2016 9:25 AM

No Fun League

8. iocanepowder says: Oct 12, 2016 9:26 AM

The Bucs fire cannons after a score. The Patriots fire muskets before games. What are we talking about here? The NFL is becoming a farce.

9. fvfcbs says: Oct 12, 2016 9:27 AM

I hate the stupid rules the NFL creates and enforces. Bow & Arrow is now off limits, at least for some. I can’t stand Josh Norman but who cares if he does a bow & arrow pose?
    Goodall and his group of league leaders are power induced, sanctimonious, arrogant, bozos. Stop creating rules, it’s like state legislature creating new laws to appease someone.

10. saints737 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:28 AM

Josh Norman had to ruin it for everyone. Hate that guy

11. phinsfan66 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:32 AM

Hahahaha… You have to actually catch a touchdown pass Brandin to do your act… Not many Bow and Arrow gestures being made this year. I don’t think the NFL is too concerned:))

12. marima07 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:38 AM

You know, Brandon Cooks has a point. Is this country really under fire (sorry for the violent imagery) from bow-and-arrows??

File this as just one more unnecessary and silly power play moves by the NFL.

13. cobrala2 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:42 AM

Typical Bumdino.

Fire Goodell!

14. 3 Finger Lenny says: Oct 12, 2016 9:46 AM

I’m going to lol when he gets fined

15. couchbasher says: Oct 12, 2016 9:46 AM

millionaire babies…. “oh, I can’t do my little bow and arrow” Grow up Cooks!

16. toybkshr says: Oct 12, 2016 9:47 AM

He’s in for a rude awakening! Wait till a game when he has 2 TD’s & gets ejected after the 2nd celebration, but Payton will step in before that happens.

17. snowdood163 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:55 AM

There’s plenty of archers that never shoot their arrow at anything other than an inanimate target. Just because you shoot a bow, doesn’t mean you kill things (I don’t kill things because I’m a bad hunter). Also, if I wanted to be violent with a weapon, it definitely wouldn’t be a bow.

18. llcriticll says: Oct 12, 2016 10:06 AM

Gotta Get back in the endzone in order to do it Cooks. You’re killing my fantasy team!

19. cowboylover says: Oct 12, 2016 10:20 AM

They play the most violent game in the world but can’t make the gesture of a bow and arrow? I can’t stand RG and his namby-pamby approach to everything. We need a real man running the league.

20. factschecker says: Oct 12, 2016 10:32 AM

According to cupid, shooting arrows makes people fall in love.

21. youbelievethat says: Oct 12, 2016 10:50 AM

Use a slingshot, and claim David and Goliath!

22. minnesotablizzard says: Oct 12, 2016 10:56 AM

And the NFL wonders why ratings are down…

23. rpkllc says: Oct 12, 2016 11:24 AM

Uhhh, the Chiefs logo is an arrow. The Raiders and Buccs logos have two swords each. The Patriots actually shoot weapons on the field and the Buccs blast cannons in the stands. One team uses a racial epitaph as its name and logo. Players are allowed to sit during the National Anthem based upon their right to free speech, but this is somehow not free speech? Can’t have it both ways NFL. Just get rid of RG and be done with it.

24. whenwilliteverend says: Oct 12, 2016 11:45 AM

Rules are rules. If my employer tells me to not to do something then I have two choices: obey their wishes or find another job. It’s not that difficult. Is it a silly rule? Probably. The problem is some players began to get out of control so that’s why the NFL reacted. It’s too bad they have to treat these players like a bunch of children instead of mature adults.

25. crewchief15 says: Oct 12, 2016 11:48 AM

Cooks said. “The league will have to deal with it.

Oh they will, remember doesn’t matter if you are right, the NFL is your boss, when they start take your $$ you’ll change that tune ( I guarantee you). I personally think it’s one of the least annoying celebrations…honestly never heard of this guy until now!

26. crewchief15 says: Oct 12, 2016 11:51 AM

Remember how terrifying the Baltimore/Washinton Bullets name was, now they’re the Wizard’s (who by the way, have infinity more destructive power than a bullet)🙂

27. richc111 says: Oct 12, 2016 12:26 PM

This is how it always happens, part of this whole thing started when players acted like they were cutting a throat, remember it started getting big 10 years ago or so. Let’s face the league had to stop it but in doing so this happens. So you can not “BLAME” the league all the time. How many fans liked to see players acting like they are cutting someone throat. My guess is not many. It is the law of unintended consequence.

28. saintdatazz says: Oct 12, 2016 12:32 PM

I don’t care if he does the bow and arrow thing; just don’t do it after every catch. Personally I think it looks stupid. I think Brooks should be more like Colston, now that was a Saint receiver to remember, get up and catch the ball again; don’t become a Horn.

29. abninf says: Oct 12, 2016 12:39 PM

Here’s an idea. Hand the ball to the ref, high five your teammates who assisted you and walk away like you’ve been there before.

30. thangkatruck says: Oct 12, 2016 3:00 PM

No Fun League. Fire Goodell and hire a Commissioner who knows the difference between fun and violence.

31. charger383 says: Oct 12, 2016 8:59 PM

can protest against the USA but can’t act like shooting a bow and the $44,000,000 Goodell can’t figure out the decline

32. crappygovernment says: Oct 12, 2016 9:00 PM

What if every player on every team did the bow and arrow gesture in a gesture of solidarity against Goodell? They couldn’t fine them all!