LeSean McCoy on Kaepernick: If he needs help, he’ll call the cops

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 09:  LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills takes a hit from Troy Hill #32 of the Los Angeles Rams during the first quarter of the game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on October 9, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) Getty Images

With 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick coming to town, Bills running back LeSean McCoy is chiming in on the anthem protests that gave Kaepernick nearly as much notoriety as he had in the days preceding Super Bowl XLVII, if not more.

“Football-wise we’ve got to prepare for him, but that’s more of the defense, so they’ll take care of that,” McCoy said. “That’s what they do best, on defense. All the extra stuff, everyone’s got an opinion about it. I think the good thing about being here in America; that’s his freedom. If he wants to speak about it or take a knee, then that’s what he wants to do. There no law again that. As players we’re just trying to win football games. There’s different platforms you can choose to talk about it or make a stand for something like that. The thing is he chose to do it on the field, but that’s really up to him.”

Regarding the underlying reasons for Kaepernick’s protests, McCoy has a somewhat unique perspective; he faced potential prosecution in the offseason for allegedly fighting with off-duty police officers.

“My take on it is obviously the things the cops are doing is definitely wrong,” McCoy said. “But there’s good people, there’s bad people. There’s good cops, there’s bad cops. Actually, this game or next game I’m going to invite some police to the game, probably 15 or 20, just an appreciation type of thing because they’re taking so much heat right now and what’s going on is definitely wrong, but I always feel there’s just bad people, there’s good cops and there’s bad cops. So that’s something actually, me and my foundation we’ll be going and also inner-city kids we’re going to bring them to the game too. You know, you’ve got to show appreciation, because nobody’s perfect. I don’t want all cops getting a bad rap for what bad cops are doing, because there are still good cops. And at the end of the day if there’s something wrong going on, or there’s something that is dangerous I’m sure Kap will call the cops, he’ll call 911.”

Kaepernick’s gesture will gain renewed focus, now that he’ll actually be playing. And plenty of people will be chiming in, regardless of whether there are any new developments.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
33 Responses to “LeSean McCoy on Kaepernick: If he needs help, he’ll call the cops”
  1. ronfai says: Oct 13, 2016 12:06 AM

Who else he gonna call? He’s paying their salary with taxes , if he doesn’t pay their salary , he goes to jail.

2. lsxsx says: Oct 13, 2016 12:10 AM

I have to give McCoy credit on this.I don’t want to but I will.

3. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 13, 2016 12:50 AM

So will all the liberal white guilt crowd enabling Twitter Trendies like Kaepernick while sitting at home or in a coffee shop pecking at their computers. They are the least equipped to survive a lawless society, but get to feel righteous and edgy by ratcheting up the rhetoric on social media. Kaepernick has probably never had an original thought in his life. His insights and values are derived completely from the trend bar on the left, and he just regurgitates the clichés verbatim.

4. misterford says: Oct 13, 2016 1:17 AM

Newfound respect for McCoy for his foundation and invitation of cops to the game.

5. chickenrondelet says: Oct 13, 2016 1:22 AM

Surprisingly rational thoughts from a guy who has a past history of actions that couldn’t have involved any rational thought. Maybe he’s growing up a bit.

6. dynastyfootballforme says: Oct 13, 2016 1:40 AM

Who ya gonna call??

7. mykelane says: Oct 13, 2016 2:07 AM

Shady stomps out the bad cops…allegedly..

8. mclennon99 says: Oct 13, 2016 3:06 AM

LeSean….PLEASE shut up until after the win on Sunday. Lets not give Mr. Kaepernick any incentive to have the game of his life now.

PLEASE!!

9. wayne1693 says: Oct 13, 2016 3:23 AM

At a time when more cops are getting killed–both White & Black; at a time in Our Society when We need good courageous People in Law Enforcement & HomeLand Security now more than ever; at a time when the list of OTL issues seems to be ever-growing and thus distracting from the actual GAME…I find myself cheering most enthusiastically for the Multi-Million-Dollar Players who give their utmost on the Field, are the opposite of a divisive distraction OTL…and if they are going to use their Public-Figure-Status to compel Societal Change…their words/actions are inclusive, constructive and unambiguous.

10. bosco264 says: Oct 13, 2016 5:33 AM

Quick someone call the cops, there’s a Lesean McCoy impersonator on the loose!

11. stubbyjones says: Oct 13, 2016 5:36 AM

Go Bills!

12. littleseizures says: Oct 13, 2016 5:38 AM

Very nice gesture by McCoy toward the kids and officers. Finally someone sounding like a reasonable adult when discussing this topic.

13. mjtn says: Oct 13, 2016 6:21 AM

Can’t imagine any police officer accepting his invitation

14. areyoudue says: Oct 13, 2016 8:53 AM

Wow, I’ve bad mouthed McCoy in the past for some of his antics. But dang, his statements are spot on. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Nice job LeSean!!!

15. Joetrollonto says: Oct 13, 2016 9:08 AM

Lets summarize what Joe would say: Just flush, You lose again, Taylor can only throw for 120 yards. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah!!!! Right Joe?

16. bvolke says: Oct 13, 2016 9:27 AM

Kaepernick is underweight, in a new scheme, and hasn’t started a game in almost a year. He needs to worry more about the Bills and less about his actions during the National Anthem.

17. srgpsycho says: Oct 13, 2016 9:40 AM

McCoy pegged it. There’s bad in every job place. Let’s minimize the mistakes. Respect & common sense usually play a big role in how we’re treated. Let’s think before we act.

18. eroschmidt says: Oct 13, 2016 9:52 AM

Surprisingly great statement from LeSean. I can’t wait to get to the stadium on Sunday!

19. ggagne66 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:15 AM

I can’t believe that I”m agreeing with something McCoy said. I actually don’t have a problem with Kap having the opinion he does, in fact I agree with some of it, just not the disrespecting the flag part. But the workplace isn’t the proper place to protest. If I make political statements or stands at my place of employment, I’d be fired, much like most of you would. There’s a time and place for everything.

20. fringetastic says: Oct 13, 2016 10:23 AM

A “good cop” who stays silent isn’t really a good cop.

21. bergman652016 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:46 AM

What better way to send your message of protest than in front of millions of people on TV and in the stadium. And, until you lived in a black skin, don’t tell a black person how he should feel about the police. Ask the DOJ about rampant racism in US police departments. As for our flag, ask the Japanese who were put into internment camps or the people of Iraq…The best way to respect our flag is to stand up for the principles it represents (and kneel down when it fails to do so.) – and that’s what Colin is doing.

22. ALSpain says: Oct 13, 2016 10:58 AM

People do realize that cops are being PAID to do a job right? If they were doing this for free then I can see them objecting to criticism. I am a taxpayer and you better damn believe I will call them if I have to. I have several family members who’ve served, my aunt is a warden has been for over 20 years so me expecting cops to honor the badge has NOTHING to do with disliking cops. Let’s keep the proper perspective here….

23. chubby3342 says: Oct 13, 2016 11:39 AM

Well said and done Shady. You’ve gained my respect back.

24. ninerdynasty says: Oct 13, 2016 12:08 PM

Welll said Mccoy! i will say, kaep has made me be ashamed of being a niner fan. I’ve been a proud fan even when the team won only 2 games.. which could happen this season again.. but none the less, kaep is a fool and can’t wait for him to be gone from the league.

I hope he flaps and come off season, he gets cut and no other team picks him up. make him get a real job since he has been so oppressed his whole life living wealthy with white parents

25. valorius says: Oct 13, 2016 12:13 PM

We want McCoy back!
    -An Eagles fan

26. valorius says: Oct 13, 2016 12:15 PM

What are the cops doing that’s wrong?

Shooting career criminals that pull guns on them while resisting arrest???

27. xinellum says: Oct 13, 2016 1:51 PM

McCoy is doing something about the problem and drawing attention away from himself and putting it where it belongs with his foundation. Kaepernik is looking for a quick popularity fix and outside of drawing attention to himself, is doing nothing but making sure he makes money and is a household name. He couldn’t do it with his football skills so he might as well pick a controversial subject to do it. I bet he hopes the Bills line agrees with him because other than the typical protests, theres nothing like tackling a crybaby and grinding him into the ground that gives you some personal satisfaction.

28. tonebones says: Oct 13, 2016 5:07 PM

Kaepernick is doing cops a favor. Because of him, some police departments are already reviewing the way they handle certain situations. Better training. Better education. This will ultimately save cops’ lives. Hopefully more cops’ wives will be able to sleep better when their husband leaves for work, knowing that they are now going to be more safe. Thank you Kap.

29. tm81blog says: Oct 14, 2016 1:28 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Oct 13, 2016 12:50 AM

One of the best posts I have read in a long time!!!

30. dcpatfan says: Oct 14, 2016 3:48 PM

Talk about spewing garbage out of both sides of your mouth. Shut up McCoy

31. domain7722 says: Oct 15, 2016 11:36 AM

yeah, who’s this guy, leshean?
    okay, yes Kaepernick will call the police in an emergency, but thats not the real point…
    there is a chance now that Kaepernick and the 49ers will use this as an incentive…
    didn’t they BLOW out the rams the first game of the season? which come to think about it is the only game that they won? and they probably won it because of some pride in his stance…

32. annes22 says: Oct 15, 2016 12:35 PM

I hope they don’t come to him, let him figure it out, if he can!

33. jonwill57 says: Oct 17, 2016 11:11 AM

@tm81blog says:
    Oct 14, 2016 1:28 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Oct 13, 2016 12:50 AM

One of the best posts I have read in a long time!!!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^