NFL shifts Packers-Falcons to later start time in Week Eight

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (2) leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016, in Denver. The Falcons won 23-16. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney) AP

The NFL has made a couple of changes to the schedule in Week Eight.

The Packers were scheduled to start their game in Atlanta at 1:00 p.m. ET, but the league appears to see a matchup with the 4-1 Falcons as being worthy of a few more eyeballs. The Packers and Falcons will now get underway at 4:25 p.m. ET and will be FOX’s only game in that time period.

The Cardinals and Panthers were scheduled to be in that slot, but they’ll now move to the earlier kickoff. Neither of last year’s NFC title game participants has gotten off to a good start this season, while the Falcons are 4-1 heading into this weekend’s trip to Seattle and the Packers are 3-1 after beating the Giants last Sunday night.

Ratings for television broadcasts of NFL games have been a big storyline through the first five weeks of the season as numbers have been down around the league. Moving the Packers-Falcons game suggests the league thinks it will draw the most eyeballs on October 30.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “NFL shifts Packers-Falcons to later start time in Week Eight”
  1. sportmigos says: Oct 12, 2016 3:19 PM

sounds like a micro aggression on Cam newtons leadership abilities smh

2. factschecker says: Oct 12, 2016 3:20 PM

Classic pic.

Literally #2 holding up the “We’re #1” sign. Nice.

3. schmitty2 says: Oct 12, 2016 3:24 PM

I’m sure Bruce Arians will be thrilled to learn his team now has to travel across country to play a 10am P.S.T game now instead of 1pm.

4. patsxsaintsfan says: Oct 12, 2016 3:26 PM

Yeah I haven’t seen enough of the packers in prime time

5. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Oct 12, 2016 3:26 PM

More time to get hammered. YESSS!!!

6. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Oct 12, 2016 3:45 PM

This will be a good game. My Packers should have second place in our division wrapped up by then.

7. nflazcardsfan says: Oct 12, 2016 3:50 PM

I 100% get them moving GB-ATL to the later time slot, but I’m not thrilled with moving the AZ-CAR game to an earlier slot … why not keep it where it was?

8. atthemurph says: Oct 12, 2016 3:54 PM

patsxsaintsfan says:
    Oct 12, 2016 3:26 PM
    Yeah I haven’t seen enough of the packers in prime time
    —————————————

And neither has the rest of the country based on the ratings they get.

9. bassplucker says: Oct 12, 2016 3:55 PM

A Fox “Game of the Week” that may actually live up to the name? That would be cool.

10. steviaquinn says: Oct 12, 2016 3:59 PM

Damn, the falcons never play at 10am pst anymore. they might as well move to the west coast

11. mmack66 says: Oct 12, 2016 4:04 PM

schmitty2 says:
    Oct 12, 2016 3:24 PM

————————–

Oh, great. Something else for him to run his mouth about.

12. kane337 says: Oct 12, 2016 4:11 PM

Hate it when they make these changes for the home team. It really can really screw up plans the attending fans have already made.

13. athwartships says: Oct 12, 2016 4:12 PM

If it’s a flex move for ratings, maybe try shaving some time off those 3-4 hour games instead of just shuffling them.

14. dejadoh says: Oct 12, 2016 4:19 PM

I don’t understand moving the Cardinal Panther game. People book flights to games weeks in advance. Sorry but your 1pm arrival now means you will miss the start of the game and all of the tailgate. Thanks FOX, Panthers, NFL.

15. brianc34 says: Oct 12, 2016 4:22 PM

*****************************************

I agree. I don’t know how they can do that. I understand cancelling games due to mother nature, but flipping a game just because….I think the NFL should compensate those people who may have had flights that will impede their ability to get to this game now.

16. justafanofnfl says: Oct 12, 2016 4:24 PM

The NFL spent millions, hand picked a court venue, lost a hearing to uphold their own ruling and then appealed it and won. They won the right to have one man decide who plays and who doesn’t, effectively trying to fix the outcome of games.

Who would watch no matter when a game takes place? The NFL won the right to have a guy fix the games-yay NFL.

I’ll still watch my team but I simply will not watch any other contest.

17. teal379 says: Oct 12, 2016 4:24 PM

dejadoh says:
    Oct 12, 2016 4:19 PM

Quit cheaping out on the hotel. Anyone and EVERYONE not driving to a game should arrive the day before – unless they’re disembarking from a Gulfstream of some sort…

18. diveleft says: Oct 12, 2016 4:27 PM

Nice. Now the whole nation will get to see the Packers get exposed for the overrated team that they are and not just a couple of markets.

19. scoops1 says: Oct 12, 2016 4:30 PM

so the packers will have now have 5 Nationally Televised games in a row

not bad!!

20. Rdog says: Oct 12, 2016 4:32 PM

They have the same teams every few weeks… I know they’re the teams with the highest ratings and all, but man, I want to see other teams sometimes… I get tired of seeing the Steelers, Packers, or Patriots every week.

21. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 12, 2016 4:37 PM

justafanofnfl says:
    Oct 12, 2016 4:24 PM

I’ll still watch my team but I simply will not watch any other contest.
    ________

You might want to consider changing your screen name.

22. jimmyjohns01 says: Oct 12, 2016 4:41 PM

dejadoh says:
    Oct 12, 2016 4:19 PM

————————————————–

You deserve to miss part of the game if you booked your flight to arrive just a few hours before kickoff. And let me guess, the return flight is 2 hours after the game, which gives you just enough time to get out and through TSA. So then now, you’re going to miss part of the game AND have to sit around a little while longer.?

23. Rdog says: Oct 12, 2016 4:46 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Oct 12, 2016 4:37 PM

You might want to consider changing your screen name.

—————————–
    Look who’s talking….

24. vavikingfan says: Oct 12, 2016 4:57 PM

Dallas must have a bye.

25. MichaelEdits says: Oct 12, 2016 4:59 PM

That’s the quickest way to launch both teams into a big ol’ losing streak. Atlanta especially. As a Panthers fan, I’d like to thank the NFL. Keep pounding.

26. mmack66 says: Oct 12, 2016 5:09 PM

MichaelEdits says:
    Oct 12, 2016 4:59 PM

———————

They figured that since Carolina is already on a big ol’ losing streak, they might as well give someone else a chance.

27. icebowler says: Oct 12, 2016 5:10 PM

Six teams have a bye in week 8. There are 7 early games and only two late games. Why not leave AZ @ CAR as a late game, to make it 6 early and 3 late? As a Packer fan, I love the move to late in Atlanta. As a big fan of Red Zone (and I’m not a fantasy player), having only two games late pretty much sucks.

28. dannyabramowitz says: Oct 12, 2016 5:18 PM

Won’t work Roger, IT’S THE PROTESTS.

29. h0metownzero says: Oct 12, 2016 5:23 PM

I get it. It’s a battle between NFC favorites.

30. lindacaseauthor says: Oct 12, 2016 6:40 PM

No matter the time, the Falcons will trounce the overrated Cheeseheads.

31. babybang17 says: Oct 12, 2016 10:01 PM

They should also move the Falcons game vs the Seahawks to Sunday night. Who’s going to watch the Texans and Colts? No wonder the NFL ratings are low. That’s what they get for downplaying the Falcons.

32. finchy74 says: Oct 12, 2016 10:40 PM

If the Packers can beat the Falcons, I’ll believe they’re a halfways decent team.

33. purplepackerhater says: Oct 13, 2016 3:19 PM

If the Packers can beat the Cowboys, I’ll believe the Cowboys had a poor performance.

34. theuglitruth says: Oct 17, 2016 2:03 PM

Gotta put this on the Panthers, their 1-5. Thanks a lot Cam & hat!