Philip Rivers: Don’t cry for me, San Diego

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, left, greets San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers after an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in San Diego. The Saints won, 35-34. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy) AP

Philip Rivers is a great player on a bad team, which is as true this year as it has most of the years he’s been with the Chargers, really.

But the longtime San Diego quarterback doesn’t want your sympathy, at a time when many are wondering what he did to deserve all this. And he doesn’t regret signing a long-term deal with the Chargers that binds him there through 2019, wherever that there might be.

“I feel awesome about it,” Rivers said, via Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “I don’t feel awesome about being 1-4, but I’m very thankful for the opportunity to be the quarterback here, and the Spanoses, and the chance I have to lead an organization and lead a group – a group I really have a great deal of belief in.”

Rivers has been cast lately as some sad Don Quixote, doing his work dutifully but in vain, while other organizations can win games with far less talented quarterbacks. And while he appreciates the sentiment, he doesn’t go along with it.

“I guess I should take that as a compliment in a sense,” he said, “but at the same time, nobody’s feeling sorry for me. I mean, really. Believe me. I have an opportunity to be a quarterback in the NFL, live here, play here. My faith, family and this football is more than I could have ever imagined as an 8-year-old little boy.

“Yeah, we’re in a tough stretch, but, there doesn’t need to be any sympathy for me. I look at it as, while I can honestly say, I think I’m playing pretty good, I feel like my job is to find a way to lead us to win games. And, I’ve what, (won) 5 of the last 21, with me as the quarterback. So, I take responsibility of that, too.”

Being happy and rich and talented and beloved and living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world can take the edge off when times are hard, but Rivers remains frustrated at the fact his team has won five of its last 21 games, and admits he has a part in it too.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
31 Responses to “Philip Rivers: Don’t cry for me, San Diego”
  1. chieftaindawg says: Oct 12, 2016 8:15 AM

Class act. Other QBs could learn a lot watching him both on and off the field

2. smokehouse56 says: Oct 12, 2016 8:23 AM

“living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world” Check that man for drugs.

3. joetoronto says: Oct 12, 2016 8:31 AM

He’s fine with it all, just another Charger softy.

4. shackdelrio says: Oct 12, 2016 8:34 AM

I feel bad for Rivers because he has 8 kids at home.

5. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 12, 2016 8:37 AM

“Knock it off!!!” – Ryan Leaf

6. jjackwagon says: Oct 12, 2016 8:38 AM

Philip Rivers: Don’t cry for me, San Diego ’cause I cry plenty enough on my own.

7. dohczeppelin says: Oct 12, 2016 8:59 AM

You may not need my sympathy, but I still feel sorry for you.

8. socalmaverick says: Oct 12, 2016 9:02 AM

Class act. Period.

9. sgordon909usdm419 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:14 AM

Uhhhhhh he tossed two picks Sunday. He’s losing the games just as hard as everyone else on that team.

10. bonitalocal says: Oct 12, 2016 9:14 AM

I’ve been a Pats’ fan since 1970, but there are some players that you just have to admire no matter which team they are on.
    Rivers is one of those to me. He is tough, smart, and seems to have a really good perspective on life.

11. chargersdiehard says: Oct 12, 2016 9:16 AM

This guy would have a superbowl with almost any other franchise. I sure hope the Chargers can ‘make a run before Rivers is done.” He’s the best to ever wear a bolt.

12. devildog911 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:17 AM

You suck dude

13. gmen5280 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:20 AM

I guess the Manning’s were right after all regarding the Charges organization. Which is unfortunate, River’s has the skills to lead a team to the Super Bowl.

14. kissmysandwich says: Oct 12, 2016 9:28 AM

No one should feel sorry for him either. He’s exactly right. I always get a kick out of the fans that say things like “wasted career” or “deserves a championship”. LOL. These top players make the kind of money that literally will set up their family for generations to come. They get paid millions to play a game people. They are owed nothing but what their contract states, and that is plenty fair.

15. sb44champs says: Oct 12, 2016 9:33 AM

A class act Rivers is

16. factschecker says: Oct 12, 2016 9:36 AM

But if you do cry……cry me a River(s).

17. mball13 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:45 AM

Man, what a stand up guy Rivers is…he could have easily thrown people under the bus, but took the high road and spoke about what he is thankful for…I have massive amounts of respect for him as a player and a person.

-Raider fan

18. jgo304 says: Oct 12, 2016 9:46 AM

Every year that goes by I realize how much more I like Rivers as a player & a person.

Would love for just 1 year to see him play on a offense not decimated by injuries.

19. 4gone says: Oct 12, 2016 9:52 AM

The way they are losing games is amazing. Funniest thing was Sunday when the snap was mishandled by the holder and they cut to Rivers and he said “its like the Bad News Bears”. Classic. (and accurate).

20. grogansheroes says: Oct 12, 2016 9:53 AM

What will the Chargers be like when he retires? Probably the Browns.

21. californiaqid says: Oct 12, 2016 9:55 AM

I think that Rivers is just trying to let people know that he gets it. Say what you will about the Chargers, but I’ve been around more than my share of millionaires and I can assure the world that beyond the pain of hunger and hassle, rich people have just as much heartache as the rest of us.

I’m so glad to hear Rivers tell the truth about money. I wish that money-grubbing shill Peyton Manning would have used his Super Bowl moment to say that instead of something stupid about drinking bad beer.

22. FlashPatterson says: Oct 12, 2016 10:05 AM

chieftaindawg says:
    Oct 12, 2016 8:15 AM
    Class act. Other QBs could learn a lot watching him both on and off the field

Learn how to be a poor sport maybe. The dude trash talks like a DB because he knows they can’t hit him. Dude whines to the officials after every play (like a lot of “star” QBs. Never forget the game he was screaming at Cutler on the Bears sideline with his neck veins bursting out and all red faced.

Dude sucks.

23. jbraider says: Oct 12, 2016 10:35 AM

It’s a testament to how well respected he is as a person and a player that you see fans of other teams (including the Raiders and Chiefs) honoring him here. I would really like to hate the Chargers the way I hate the Broncos and Chiefs, but I just can’t while Rivers is there.

24. rayguyhof says: Oct 12, 2016 10:35 AM

Most feared QB we play. Always worried he will (and has) beat us.
    Still can’t believe some people complain about this guy.
    DC, is our guy now, but how I wish Rivers played for us prior to D.C.

25. schmitty2 says: Oct 12, 2016 10:38 AM

If him and I were to compare bank accounts he would feel way more sorry for me then I could ever feel sorry for him.

26. skol4life says: Oct 12, 2016 12:20 PM

Archie Manning didn’t didn’t want Eli to have a career like he did with the Saints. Archie was right. Chargers franchise is terrible.

27. pwrspin says: Oct 12, 2016 1:24 PM

Without Rivers the Chargers would go 0-16 this year and last. They are the joke of the NFL with their crazy fumbles, penalties, injuries, lousy drafting, and at times ridicules play-calling. Throw in a Rookie punter who can’t kick it better than 17 yards in crucial situations and follows up that act by bumbling the hold on a game-tying field goal. Only possible reason Drew Kaser is still on the team is because the Chargers are playing on Thursday and didn’t have time to work out a replacement. And we all thought the Cubs were cursed.

28. dasmol says: Oct 12, 2016 1:39 PM

One of the best QB’s and all around guys in the NFL.

29. agent7g says: Oct 12, 2016 1:49 PM

Rivers gets it. He’s a good guy & thankful for what he has. Doesn’t worry about what he doesn’t have. It just so happens that he’s fond of wearing bolos and plays for a bad team. Can’t hold that against him.

30. ftomasic1961 says: Oct 12, 2016 2:22 PM

oh please. even when rivers had all the team around him, from about 2006 -2010, he did nothing……and now that he has no team around him, he still is doing nothing….

31. justbegbaby says: Oct 12, 2016 3:40 PM

Had it been about winning, Rivers would have bolted when his last contract was up. He stayed, he’s comfortable, the weather is nice, great house, loves his Coronas on the beach. Knows he has seen his last playoff game but doesnt really care anymore. Life is good!