Watkins won’t have surgery; 2016 return remains possible

LANDOVER, MD - DECEMBER 20: Wide receiver Sammy Watkins #14 of the Buffalo Bills makes a catch in front of cornerback Bashaud Breeland #26 of the Washington Redskins for a third quarter touchdown at FedExField on December 20, 2015 in Landover, Maryland. The Washington Redskins won, 35-25. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins could still return late this season, NFL Network reported Wednesday.

After visiting Dr. Robert Anderson, Watkins does not need a second foot surgery and can work and rehab with a potential return this season in mind.

The Bills placed Watkins on injured reserve last month. If he can heal and get up to speed, he could be activated in December.

Watkins had six catches for 63 yards in two games this season. Though he said the foot was not an excuse for his slow start, he never got fully healthy in the offseason and the Bills feared a long-term injury, even before he was placed on injured reserve.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Watkins won’t have surgery; 2016 return remains possible”
  1. 60ftlesbianoctopus says: Oct 12, 2016 10:10 AM

2. rabidbillsfan says: Oct 12, 2016 10:19 AM

In all honesty, it was a good thing they put him on IR when they did. I’m just speculating, but I don’t think Anthoney Lynn would be havin the success he has been having with Watkins on the field. Not saying he wouldn’t be successful at some point, just not so quickly. Right now, he’s just trying to get the entire offense out of its funk, with Sammy, I think the pressure would have been on to get him more involved, and diluted the rest of the offense in the process, just my .02. Let Sammy heal up, get up to speed, let the current offense find their roles, and go from there. I’ll never say Sammy is bad for the offense, but I think it was a blessing in disguise in all honesty, let him come back when we really need the push, healthy and explosive.

3. allaboutdabillslikebuffalo says: Oct 12, 2016 11:00 AM

Hopefully he can come back week 12 and help us push for playoffs we have to be at least 7 and 4. Anything worse just shut him down for he’s healthy at the start of next season

4. eroschmidt says: Oct 12, 2016 11:03 AM

Watkins is eligible to be activated November 27th vs Jacksonville – not December. I think he is done for the year, however, as he has proven to be very soft in his Bills career. Pillow soft. High quality toilet paper soft. Baby’s butt soft…

5. superpatriotsfan says: Oct 12, 2016 11:20 AM

“Now that we know who you are, I know who I am. I’m not a mistake! It all makes sense! In a comic, you know how you can tell who the arch-villain’s going to be? He’s the exact opposite of the hero. And most times they’re friends, like you and me! I should’ve known way back when… You know why, David? Because of the kids. They called me Mr Glass.”’
    ————
    LOL

6. sinkit5 says: Oct 12, 2016 11:28 AM

soft is a understatement, plus we dont have a QB

I’m sure in right offense hes a good # 2

7. joetoronto says: Oct 12, 2016 11:38 AM

Thyroid was awesome again this past Sunday, he broke 100 yards passing.

I’m sure Sammy was happy to see that.

8. dabillshateme says: Oct 12, 2016 11:46 AM

sinkit5 says:
    Oct 12, 2016 11:28 AM
    “Sad to say but this was a big waste of a pick. i support most of GM decisions but this one is a job changer”

That’s “picks” my friend, not “pick” – two 1st and a 4th….

Sidelined-Sammy could end up being a bigger bust than Maybin and Patulski combined.

9. joetoronto says: Oct 12, 2016 12:39 PM

This is good news, Sammy is a great player and the Bills are a great team. I wish we had a team in Toronto, but we never will, so I’ll have to keep following Buffalo.

Go Bills!

10. bobthebillsfan says: Oct 12, 2016 12:48 PM

Lets see if we are in the playoff hunt when he comes back. If so, lets see if he can contribute. If not, rest him.

11. elevandoo says: Oct 12, 2016 1:05 PM

Joetoronto with an uncynical buffalo post. We all should be scared.

12. mrmcdougle says: Oct 12, 2016 1:13 PM

—-

It’s year 3 & he’s averaged > 1000 yards per year for his career (years 1 and 2). You can’t call him a bust. If he’s never fully healthy, he won’t live up to expectations (not bust).

If his career trajectory fits into where he was before the injury, then he’ll have multiple pro bowls.

13. Boris Yeltsin says: Oct 12, 2016 2:15 PM

We’ve never played meaningful games in December post Y2K scare.

14. EJ says: Oct 12, 2016 3:30 PM

dabillshateme says:
    Oct 12, 2016 11:46 AM
    sinkit5 says:
    Oct 12, 2016 11:28 AM

That’s “picks” my friend, not “pick” – two 1st and a 4th….

___________________________________
    A “Bust” is a player that didn’t pan out to be what the critics believed… Watkins has been exactly as advertised when he is on the field, so there is no way you can call him a bust.

15. westcoastbillsfan says: Oct 12, 2016 5:33 PM

————————————————-

Patulski wasn’t a bust. He and Earl Edwards were a force to be reckoned with for a bit once Lou Saban came back….do your Bills homework. With said, you’re right about the Watkins and draft choices trade being a big mistake.

16. Joetrollonto says: Oct 13, 2016 9:10 AM

elevandoo: Joe is being sarcastic. Same old posts different day of the week. Right Joe!?!