Dak Prescott says Cowboys are still Tony Romo’s team

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) celebrates his touchdown during the second half of an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md., Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016. (AP Photo/Nick Wass) AP

Dak Prescott has capably replaced an injured Tony Romo and led the Dallas Cowboys to a 4-1 record through the first five games of the season.

Prescott has completed 69 percent of his passes, thrown for 1,239 yards and four touchdowns, and has yet to throw an interception.

But despite the tremendous start to his rookie season, Prescott says the Cowboys are still Romo’s team to lead.

This is Tony’s team,” Prescott said, via Todd Archer of “I knew that going into the situation. I think everybody knew that. I’m just trying to do the best I can to give my team a chance to win week in and week out.”

Romo’s return from a broken back suffered in a preseason game against Seattle is still not imminent. Prescott will get several more starts before a decision has to be made on which quarterback will lead Dallas through the second half of their schedule. Given just how badly the Cowboys struggled after Romo went down a season ago, it’s a conundrum owner Jerry Jones welcomes readily this time around.

In the meantime, Prescott says he will continue to press forward and do everything he can as long as he’s the starting quarterback.

“It’s definitely not a distraction to me,” Prescott said. “That’s not my call. It doesn’t have anything to do with me. My job is to come in here, like I say, give these guys a chance to win, get better each and every day at practice and that’s all I focus on.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Dak Prescott says Cowboys are still Tony Romo’s team”
  1. littleseizures says: Oct 13, 2016 5:42 AM

I love this guy! Not only can he play on the field, he can play the game off the field and in the media. I don’t believe a single word of it. There’s zero chance he’s ok giving up his job.

2. raidernation37 says: Oct 13, 2016 6:15 AM

If this kid keeps playing the way he has then Romo should never see the field in meaningful time again. However Jerrah’s ego wont let that happen and they’ll put Romo back in there until he winds up on IR yet again. I’ve always sort of liked Romo but dude needs to retire before he breaks his back permanently

3. crewchief15 says: Oct 13, 2016 7:27 AM

This is Dak’s team now, Romo is a great QB, but he’s like Farve w/o the rings. Romo throws great passes but will throw those dagger to the heart interception’s (like Farve). Dak gives the Cowboys an element of ball security and his ability to run, these are not easy to find traits. It’s been weird not having to watch a ill timed interception by Romo, a nice weird…

4. Ron Jull says: Oct 13, 2016 7:59 AM

The Cowpokes are Jerrahs’ team…..Romo should quit now before he ends up in a wheelchair being fed through a straw.

5. mmmmmbeer says: Oct 13, 2016 9:05 AM

I just gained a ton of respect for Dak. This should be the mentality of a back-up QB to a veteran. Unlike Brock last year when he backed up Peyton, he was pissed that they benched him in the playoffs when the team thought Peyton would have a better chance to win. Instead of signing with the Broncos, he left for the Texans because he felt he should have continued to start instead of the first ballot HOFer. It was always Peyton’s team and the Cowboys are Romo’s team.

6. crewchief15 says: Oct 13, 2016 9:36 AM

It was always Peyton’s team and the Cowboys are Romo’s team.

They only returned to Peyton because Brock starting sucking…Cowboys do not have the luxury of a number 1 Defense, buy the way Peyton was horrible last year.

7. jerrysglassescleaner says: Oct 13, 2016 1:30 PM

Dak was suppose to hold a clipboard but instead got thrown into the steering wheel. Dak hasn’t had much of the luxury of holding a clipboard and watching Romo pick apart defenses. When that happens, Dak will be 5 times better.

8. mojodoa says: Oct 14, 2016 6:57 AM

Romo gives the ‘Boys the ability to take the top off of a defense. That’s something that’s good to have come playoff time.