Eagles’ Allen Barbre declines to use Washington team name

PHILADELPHIA, PA - AUGUST 21:   Allen Barbre #76 of the Philadelphia Eagles in action against the Pittsburgh Steelers during their Pre Season game at Lincoln Financial Field on August 21, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images) Getty Images

Eagles guard Allen Barbre has a different perspective on the Washington NFL team’s name because he’s a Native American whose grandfather lives on the Tunica-Biloxi Indian Reservation. And as he prepares to play Washington on Sunday, he won’t use that team name.

I just don’t say it. I don’t use the word,” Barbre said, via NJ.com.

At the same time, Barbre is careful not to brand those who use the name as racists, saying the choice not to use the word is his own personal opinion and doesn’t necessarily reflect the opinions of his family or the Tunica-Biloxi tribe.

“We’ve never talked about with my grandfather, or any of the family, so I don’t really know how they feel about it,” he said. “I’ve just never let it bother me. I don’t dislike them any more because of their name, or go out and play harder against them. . . . I never really thought of it as being a racist term as a team.”

Barbre doesn’t seem to think the name of an NFL team is among the most important issues facing Native Americans.

“There really isn’t a lot of respect for Native Americans,” he said. “I’m talking about the country as a whole. Native American history, I mean, there’s no month celebrated, there’s not even a day. We have Columbus Day, but there’s nothing to do with Native Americans. I feel there’s no respect given there.”

Changing an NFL team name won’t change that. Still, it’s a name that Barbre respectfully declines to say.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
36 Responses to “Eagles’ Allen Barbre declines to use Washington team name”
  1. sportmigos says: Oct 13, 2016 9:21 AM

has any1 considered renaming them the potato skins

2. joetoronto says: Oct 13, 2016 9:22 AM

Just another pansy.

3. kurdishpats1 says: Oct 13, 2016 9:25 AM

You’re cool….

4. kneedragr says: Oct 13, 2016 9:36 AM

He is right, but typically we as a society dont want to think about the losers of wars. People only want to remember the victories and just forget about the people they massacred in order to win.

5. savethebs says: Oct 13, 2016 9:39 AM

Wasn’t exactly a war. I think your other word, massacre, is a more accurate description.

6. whlskey says: Oct 13, 2016 9:43 AM

Forget the name, can we please start talking about how racist their logo is.. Doesn’t anybody notice this? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills! I invented the piano key necktie, I invented it!

7. mrmcdougle says: Oct 13, 2016 9:46 AM

Good for him. Seems like a balanced approach. Seems to respect other views, but errs on the side of being polite and respectful.

8. tjacks7 says: Oct 13, 2016 9:51 AM

I find it strange that he wouldn’t use the term “Redskins” but has no idea how his Native American family feels about the term. You’d think that’d influence his decision or would have at least come up. Oh well, to each their own. I’ll continue to say the name Redskins.

9. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 13, 2016 9:54 AM

“I never thought of it as a racist term”….
    That’s all you need to know.

10. celticsforever says: Oct 13, 2016 10:05 AM

Change the name!!!

Or…. walk up to one of my many native friends, call them a redskin and see what happens after that.

11. niners816 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:11 AM

—————-
    Oh, stop. Where’s the month that celebrates white history? Where’s the day deemed: white people day? Where’s the white respect then? Put your big boy pants on quit crying about everything. Their name is the Redskins. Get over it.

12. absolutevisuals says: Oct 13, 2016 10:13 AM

The PFT comments on here led me to believe that everybody was cool with the Redskin name. There was no way the mainly Cauasian majority were wrong! I mean, who would think that a Native American would feel some type of a way about a name that eventually became an epithet once relations with Natives went sour, you know around that time of the mass genocide of many tribes and wars of vengeance that followed. This clearly must be a myth!

13. bigmikeskinsfan says: Oct 13, 2016 10:14 AM

celticsforever says:
    Oct 13, 2016 10:05 AM
    Change the name!!!

______________________________________

nobody is scared of your friends. but, most important, nobody says “redskin” like they do any other word meant to insult someone. settle down, Francis.

14. tm81blog says: Oct 13, 2016 10:27 AM

What about all the birds that are being used for their names!

15. harissonhits2 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:27 AM

Meh, I respect his opinion. But I’m native American and live on the Ouachitas Reservation. Our local bar has Sunday Ticket and the big banner outside says “Eagles vs Redskins live on 6 screens here”. We’re native Americans and we don’t care about the name REDSKINS. Enough with this topic.

16. therealtrenches says: Oct 13, 2016 10:30 AM

savethebs says:
    Oct 13, 2016 9:39 AM

——————–

It was genocide. And it was war, if not in name.

They may not have officially declared war on the race of people who were on this continent before the exploration age, but ultimately, it had all the trappings of a war: the conquest of territory and the use of weapons (on both side) to kill those who would lay claim to it (again, on both sides).

17. celticsforever says: Oct 13, 2016 10:31 AM

bigmikeskinsfan says:
    Oct 13, 2016 10:14 AM

celticsforever says:
    Oct 13, 2016 10:05 AM
    Change the name!!!

______________________________________

********************************************

My point is that people DO use it as an insult. I’ve heard it myself. I live next to a very large native reservation so I see this first hand. It’s sad, but true.

18. jerryyouradisgrace says: Oct 13, 2016 10:35 AM

REDSKINS!

19. richc111 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:36 AM

Just today’s dose of political correctness brought to by PFT. Had to dig deep for this one. O line don’t usually make it on here. Mr Barbre has a great attitude because like when we were young. Stick and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. Unless you live today. Then a word simply crushes some people and sends them off into the social media world to wage war on words.

20. joetoronto says: Oct 13, 2016 10:39 AM

Bullcrap.

They named the team out of respect to the people back then and nobody uses it as an insult today or ever.

21. barrstarr says: Oct 13, 2016 10:39 AM

After the Redskins beat them in Sunday he can call them whatever he wants and nobody will care. HAIL

22. smokehouse56 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:50 AM

For those that are really interested in this topic read Terrible Swift Sword: The Life of General Philip H. Sheridan.

23. metalman5150 says: Oct 13, 2016 10:52 AM

And to think it naive to believe that refs could also think the same way and maybe more, allow their views to affect the outcome of football games.

24. brendafortheboyz says: Oct 13, 2016 11:00 AM

What a wonderful young man!! Something he said hit a major chord with me, though. We have entire months…Black History month, Latino month, etc., dedicated to different ethnicities, but nothing celebrating our Native Americans?? The PC police has dropped the ball on this one, imo, and trust me, I rarely agree with most PC crap! I am proud of my, basically 2 drops, of Cherokee blood🙂
    Instead of the major focus on the “Redskins”, which based on the poll posted here, does not offend them, perhaps there should be a push to have a day that celebrates them, like ALL other ethnicities!!!! That is a PC item, that I would fully endorse!! I will still use “Redskins”, as, to me, it is a name of strength……

25. charger383 says: Oct 13, 2016 11:13 AM

stupid is as stupid does

26. fwippel says: Oct 13, 2016 11:15 AM

What’s his problem with the Huskies?

27. matt14gg says: Oct 13, 2016 11:18 AM

Just when the world needed a hero Allen Barbre answers the call.

28. meetthebeat says: Oct 13, 2016 11:23 AM

With respect to all the armchair social commentators (pro and anti “PC”) out there… there is a federally recognized heritage month for Native Americans. It’s called the National Native American Heritage Month and its in November.

29. famundacheese says: Oct 13, 2016 11:32 AM

Call them whatever, but they still stink!!!!!

30. saltineamerican says: Oct 13, 2016 11:38 AM

When i see the Redskin logo, the first thing that comes to mind is “courageous warrior”. I think about the commercial that was on tv when I was a child with the American Indian with a tear in his eye because there was litter in a stream. I think of stories i read in school about the Indian way of life, the culture and wisdom. I think about the beautiful artwork, wonderful pottery created entirely by hand and the weaponry made out of rocks, sticks and rope. This team name (as well as others that are American Indian based) for me personally has never conjured up a negative thought in my mind.

31. backintheday99 says: Oct 13, 2016 11:39 AM

Columbus day is laughable. An Italian sailing under the flag of Spain, discovers people living a different existence than Europeans.

Sorry but the holiday has been a day off from school and a joke to everyone I’ve ever considered to be intelligent.

Replace it with Native American Day. That’s not even remotely PC, it’s the way it always should have been.

32. mach2plus says: Oct 13, 2016 11:39 AM

Good grief. I am so tired of everyone in this country living their lives in a perpetual state of outrage. It’s not healthy, physically or mentally.

33. grumpyoleman says: Oct 13, 2016 12:41 PM

Surprised a pansy is playing on the line for an NFL team.

34. boss81hogg says: Oct 13, 2016 12:51 PM

As a redskins fan, I support his stance.

He has every right to his opinion and/or beliefs and I will defend his right to express his opinions and beliefs.

Here’s to a good game this weekend with no injuries.

35. therealtrenches says: Oct 13, 2016 1:38 PM

Funny how the percentage of US citizens of pre-Columbian Native American descent is around 2%, but the percentage of people coming in to the comments sections under PFT’s articles on this topic claiming to be native american and not caring about the use of the word “redskin” is much higher. What’s THAT all about?

36. 23rdusernameused says: Oct 13, 2016 2:51 PM

I’ve said all along, all they have to do is replace the indian head with a small redskin potato!
    PROBLEM SOLVED!