PFT’s Week Six picks

Getty Images

Last week, MDS and yours truly disagreed on none of the 14 games played. Maybe we should have.

We both went 7-7, continuing a not-so-stellar showing when it comes to prognosticating outcomes in 2016.

The only good news? I managed to accomplish a rare hole-in-one, accurately predicting the final score of the Jets-Steelers game, which Pittsburgh won, 31-13.

Beyond that, we both stunk. To see how badly we’ll stink this week, scroll on.

Broncos at Chargers

MDS’s take: The Chargers are a better team than their 1-4 record suggests, having been outscored by a total of just five points this season. So I wouldn’t be shocked if they beat the Broncos. But I think Denver’s defense will rebound from a subpar game last week and the Broncos will win a low-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Broncos 13, Chargers 10.

Florio’s take: The short week and the absence of Gary Kubiak could be just the kick the Chargers need to build a lead and, for a change, to hold a lead.

Florio’s pick: Chargers 27, Broncos 21.

49ers at Bills

MDS’s take: Colin Kaepernick returns as the 49ers’ starting quarterback on Sunday against a Bills defense that will be ready to pressure him. I think it’s going to be a long day for the 49ers’ offense.

MDS’s pick: Bills 20, 49ers 7.

Florio’s take: Chris Beman’s annual Super Bowl prediction that never was arrives again, with the Bills the better team and Colin Kaepernick getting a chance to resurrect his career. It’s likely time for a correction by an overachieving Bills team, but the 49ers don’t have the horses to pull it off.

Florio’s pick: Bills 31, 49ers 21.

Eagles at Washington

MDS’s take: The Eagles started slowly and had two late turnovers in Sunday’s loss at Detroit, but I still like the way they’re playing, on both sides of the ball. This looks like a playoff team to me.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 31, Washington 20.

Florio’s take: How will the Eagles deal with adversity? We’re about to find out.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 24, Washington 21.

Browns at Titans

MDS’s take: I think Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota is starting to come on after a slow start to the season, and I love the way DeMarco Murray is playing. The Titans should put a lot of points on the board against the Browns.

MDS’s pick: Titans 31, Browns 17.

Florio’s take: When the dust settles in the AFC South, the team with the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense could be hanging a banner.

Florio’s pick: Titans 23, Browns 17.

Ravens at Giants

MDS’s take: These two teams are about evenly matched, so I’m taking the home team. And that’s what we call “analysis.”

MDS’s pick: Giants 20, Ravens 17.

Florio’s take: Two teams that started the season a combined 5-0 are now a combined 0-5. Give the edge to the team that: (1) is playing at home; and (2) didn’t just make Marty Mornhinweg its offensive coordinator.

Florio’s pick: Giants 27, Ravens 20.

Panthers at Saints

MDS’s take: As ugly as the start to the season has been for the Panthers, I’m still not ready to say they can’t turn things around and make a late-season push for the playoffs. I think they’re going to get that push started on Sunday.

MDS’s pick: Panthers 28, Saints 24.

Florio’s take: The Saints are rested, the Panthers are reeling. The Panthers need to put 2015 behind them, and that won’t happen until after the bye. At the earliest.

Florio’s pick: Saints 31, Panthers 27.

Jaguars at Bears

MDS’s take: These are two of the worst teams in the league, but the way Bears quarterback Brian Hoyer is playing, I figure Chicago should put some points on the board.

MDS’s pick: Bears 30, Jaguars 20.

Florio’s take: The Jaguars typically get better after playing in England, and the Bears are one of the best teams for launching a post-London bump.

Florio’s pick: Jaguars 27, Bears 24.

Rams at Lions

MDS’s take: The Lions have been one of the hardest teams for me to pick this year: I thought they’d lose to the Colts and Eagles, but they won. I thought they’d beat the Titans and Bears, but they lost. So it’s probably bad news for Lions fans that I think they’re going to beat the Rams.

MDS’s pick: Lions 21, Rams 14.

Florio’s take: The team that could have had Aaron Donald gets a look at him. It may be too close for comfort for quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Florio’s pick: Rams 24, Lions 21.

Steelers at Dolphins

MDS’s take: After an ugly performance last week, the Dolphins cut a couple offensive linemen this week. The problem is, cutting guys in the middle of the season only helps if you have better players ready to replace them. I think the Dolphins’ offense will remain ugly.

MDS’s pick: Steelers 28, Dolphins 10.

Florio’s pick: Steelers 42, Dolphins 24.

Bengals at Patriots

MDS’s take: Tom Brady had no trouble shaking off the rust last week and should turn in a big performance this week as well. The Bengals are falling into a deep hole in the AFC playoff race.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 27, Bengals 20.

Florio’s take: The Patriots once again are on to Cincinnati. Once again, they’ll be all over Cincinnati.

Florio’s pick: Patriots 41, Bengals 26.

Chiefs at Raiders

MDS’s take: I don’t think the Raiders are quite as good as their 4-1 record suggests, but I don’t know if Kansas City has the weapons to take advantage of Oakland’s problems on defense. I’ll take Oakland in a close one.

MDS’s pick: Raiders 21, Chiefs 20.

Florio’s take: One of the best rivalries in the NFL resumes, and the problem for the Raiders is that Chiefs coach Andy Reid typically does very well after a bye week.

Florio’s pick: Chiefs 30, Raiders 27.

Falcons at Seahawks

MDS’s take: The Falcons have played some great football this season, but I love the way the Seahawks’ defense matches up with Matt Ryan, who I’m expecting will have his worst game of the season on Sunday.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 17, Falcons 14.

Florio’s take: Few expected the Falcons to beat the Panthers. Fewer expected the Falcons to beat the Broncos. No one expects the Falcons to beat the Seahawks. If they do, pencil them in for Houston in February.

Florio’s pick: Seahawks 27, Falcons 24.

Cowboys at Packers

MDS’s take: Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott are playing outstanding football behind the Cowboys’ stellar offensive line. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, their defense isn’t going to keep up with Aaron Rodgers & Co.

MDS’s pick: Packers 34, Cowboys 28.

Florio’s take: The good news for Dallas is that the Dak-versus-Tony debate is about to be suspended. Green Bay’ offense has plenty of lapses, but the defense is better.

Florio’s pick: Packers 27, Cowboys 20.

Colts at Texans

MDS’s take: The AFC South is a mess, but if the Texans can win this game they’ll be the favorites to win the division. I think they’ll do just that.

MDS’s pick: Texans 20, Colts 17.

Florio’s take: The Texans continue to be good enough to lose in one of the first two rounds of the playoffs and, before that, to get there by winning the games they should.

Florio’s pick: Texans 24, Colts 20.

Jets at Cardinals

MDS’s take: It’s another bad Monday night game. We’ve had a lot of those this year. I think Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald will have a big game against a Jets secondary that has given up a lot of big plays this season.

MDS’s pick: Cardinals 34, Jets 20.

Florio’s take: Todd Bowles is back in Arizona. He possibly is starting to wish he’d never left.

Florio’s pick: Cardinals 27, Jets 17.

63 responses to “PFT’s Week Six picks

1. Florio’s take: Hopefully, the upgrades at Hard Rock Stadium included a third digit for the scoreboard.
    —————————————————————-
    Now that’s funny! I don’t care who you are that there is funny!

2. Seahawks have a doubleheader against the Falcons and Eagles? That’s the only team in Washington. I’m guessing they’re going to lose at least one of those games….that’s a harsh schedule!

3. .
    I don’t have a dog in the NFC fight, however it would get very interesting for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys faithful if Dak Prescott managed to pull the upset at Green Bay.

4. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, their defense isn’t going to keep up with Aaron Rodgers & Co.
    ——————
    No other team has had a problem with their Offense, now their defense is more of a concern. Rogers is no longer feared by teams, the media is the only ones still in awe of him. bias

5. We notice you did not pick the Vikings to win this week. Maybe there’s hope for the rest of the league.

🙂

6. No one expects the Falcons to beat the Seahawks. If they do, pencil them in for Houston in February.
    _______

That gives me a great idea for a nickname for the Vikings’ defense. The Erasers.

7. Pencil them (the Falcons) in for Houston in February? Didn’t they go 5-0 last year and ended up 8-8? They will find a way to collapse like they always do..

8. Can’t argue with anyone diving off the Panthers bandwagon. But the Saints defense is so unbelievably awful, I can’t imagine us not putting 40 points up, even if Derek Anderson is throwing.

9. Both of you are picking against the Falcons for the 5th consecutive week. They’ve won 4 in a row. Keep it going guys

10. As a Chargers fan I can’t help but wonder what new way they will use to blow a 2nd half lead. My new way to cope is drink heavily during the 1st half while they do good so I am passed out by the 4th quarter.

11. 6ball says:
    Oct 13, 2016 11:17 AM

As a Green Bay resident – I don’t think anyone here would see that as an upset.

McCarthy’s arrogance and inability to get back to a SB is wearing VERY thin among fans here locally. Lots of wondering why the offense is so inefficient and why a defense that has so many first round draft picks has been not great for so long. Sure the run stop has been good this year but it’s not been tested at all.

I’m not sold on Edgar Bennet as an OC at all. I don’t think McM’s play calling is all that much better than anyone else’s. In fact – it’s very predictable and he’s never heard of the word “decoy” at all.

Combine that with his allergies to the middle of the field when calling plays – McM has an attitude right now his performance doesn’t match.

12. PegulaBucks says:
    Oct 13, 2016 11:10 AM
    Who is Chris Beman and how is a 3-2 team that beat a Bradyless team and 2 other crap teams overachieving?
    ——————————
    Beman is a Pats homer trying to sound like Berman.

13. If the Bears can’t defend home field against the Jags then the McCaskey family had better get used to seeing a lot of empty seats at Soldier Field from here on out.

14. A couple of picks I disagree with. First, why pick San Diego to even have a chance against the Broncos when they have choked away leads in the 4th quarter so often? Broncos will give Rivers fits they’re pissed after the Falcons loss Broncos 31 Chargers 17. Panthers will blow out the Saints with Cam Newton back in the lineup 41 to 28. Finally, the Raiders should be able to pick up the win against the Chiefs in a competitive low scoring game 20 to 13. As for the Patriots, I think the run game will do more this week although it wouldn’t surprise me to see Gronkowski have a monster day. I’m worried about the inevitable Butler vs Green matchup, but I see the Patriots winning a close one 38 to 34.

15. PegulaBucks says:
    Oct 13, 2016 11:10 AM

___________________________________

He’s saying we’re overachieving because he thinks we aren’t actually good enough to be 3-2 (both picked the Bills to lose in all 5 games so far this season).

Whatever. When the Bills finally get the ship righted for good and start contending regularly (still not sure if this is the year, but it will happen eventually), all of the hate along the way will just make it all the more satisfying.

16. Giants suck-ass at home. That’s coming from a Giants fan. Careful picking them at home. Or on the road.

17. Cincy to score 26 points?

Umm, I think not.

Expect NE’s D to get better and better as they get people back and get their backups more and more reps as back ups, as opposed to starting.

When you see Nink dropping into coverage more in a 3-4 MLB role on the weakside like that, that’s bad news for offenses.

We haven’t even seen McClellin or Mingo yet either.

18. donkeys d didnt underachieve last week – they simply played a team with a winning record for the first time this season.
    talk about overrated!
    they truly are one trick donkeys!

win or lose tonight – doesnt really matter. i just hope bosa gets some “quality” hits in – ala donkey style.
    no crying if seimen gets banged up… karma.

19. “the way Bears quarterback Brian Hoyer is playing, I figure Chicago should put some points on the board.”

MDS, are you aware that the Hoyer led offense isn’t even able top average 20 points a game?

20. Bills in a classic trap game, in their minds they think they are the much better team.

Does anyone think Rex can project that this is exactly what they need to protect against?

upset!

21. These guys have no faith in the Cowboys. No offense (Green Bay) vs number 2 offense. Last week I almost called the exact score…28-17. It ended up 28-14. This week it’ll be 34-21 Cowboys for another win.

22. yourunclerico says:
    Oct 13, 2016 12:09 PM
    talk about overrated!
    they truly are one trick donkeys!

no crying if seimen gets banged up… karma.
    ———————————————————————–
    Your saltiness is making my blood pressure rise. Don’t cry my friend. At least the Chargers have their last Super Bowl win to comfort them. Oh wait…

23. teal379 says:
    Oct 13, 2016 11:45 AM
    6ball says:
    Oct 13, 2016 11:17 AM

As a Green Bay resident – I don’t think anyone here would see that as an upset.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post shows the arrogance and how out of touch those fans are. They are so used to having the Media GIVING them a Super Bowl every year they have forgotten there are 31 other teams trying to win the same thing! Teams that have struggled simply get to Cherry Pick the best players in the Draft and sooner or later even the best teams will fall.
    It may be to 10-6 with good coaching but there will be teams that go through the cycle and beat them. There are so many Gen-X fans out there that only know the Packers as challenging for a Super Bowl every year so the past few years have been more than they can stand. These same fans that have mercilessly beaten up on fellow NFC North fans
    are seeing themselves out of first place for the first time
    in nearly a Decade and just cannot handle it.
    Do you know what some teams fan base would give for your Coaching Staff?
    I see another 5-8 years of good play from the Packers but they had better get ready, as should the Pats for life without an Elite QB, and GAWD forbid a losing season or two!
    They will be getting back some of what they have been dishing out. I guarantee they won’t like the taste!.

24. Was I the only one who watched the Panther’s lose Monday night to the Bucs at home? I mean come on now, yes Cam was out but last time I checked he didn’t play defense for them. They are looking at a 1-5 start with or without Cam.

25. angelogiaquinto18 says:
    Oct 13, 2016 11:17 AM
    So if Atlanta beats Seattle they are automatically awarded the Super Bowl for the NFC? Wow!
    _____________

You don’t seem understand the term “pencil in”. It doesn’t mean “automatically award”. It means beating of last years Super Bowl teams and the Seahawks in Seattle in back to back to back weeks warrants being the top contender for Houston. Not a guarantee. However, it’s a bit dismissive of the great job Minnesota has done this year.

26. How much you people want to bet Falcons will lose at Seattle? Yes, they will lose this game. They got lucky last week bc Broncos playing a back up rookie qb. Not a hater, just being real.

27. Do you know what some teams fan base would give for your Coaching Staff?

Let’s see…NOTHING, this staff has ridden the Rodger train to the ground, again NO teams fear playing the Packers anymore…except for those great Coaching Hail Mary Calls!!!

28. Packers are declining? How many years have MN fans been saying that now? In reality, if not for a very bone headed decision by our HC in the MN game, we could easily be undefeated right now. Add to that the leagues #1 rush defense, Lacy better than last year, and Rodger’s/Nelson starting to gel, I’d hardly say we are on the decline. If anything I get the feeling we are going to peak at just the right time this year….

29. I’m a Dallas fan. I just dont see this as a blowout, for either team.
    I would be surprised if its more than a 6 point victory for either team.

GB has serious DB and RB issues at the moment. The issue isnt if Dallas can keep up with GBs offense, its probably the other way around: GB wont be able to runn the ball very well, and Dallas has the ability to blanket the best WRs in the league (does anyone think GBs WRs are better than Cincys?). this is going to come down to how well Dallas’ run game stands up to GBs excellent run defense.

Should be one of the best and closest games of the week to watch.

30. It’s not if, but when, florio and his puppet mds revert back to REDSKINS. the name they’ve always been and always will be!!!

Skins 31, Philadelphia……..0…

31. Last week it was said “Dallas has not faced a front 7 like Cincy”. I believe what happened was an embarrassing beat down. Our O-line is about to known as one of the best ever, Add to that not only does Dak understand how to quickly progress through his reads–he understands and reacts super fast when its time to give up on a play. This is huge for us. As I said last week–I like our chances. G-Bay is a good team, well coached. Again, I like our chances….

32. 5 east coast games at 1pm, the most miles traveled by any team, and lets give one of their biggest rival a bye week, and make them play another big rival the week before THAT game… Welcome to being an Oakland Raider fan ! Raiders will still win, we got Carr and Crabs !

33. Its surprising if Houston wins another game this season,they are right down there with the Browns,Bears and Jags.

34. “Three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense”

I love it.

As a Titans fan, I think the Titans have a good shot at losing to the Browns. Why? Because it’s a home game…

35. FlikeMorio says:
    Oct 13, 2016 12:09 PM
    Packers will not beat the Cowboys.
    _________________
    You people are delusional. There is no way the Pack loses to the Cowboys. Maybe the Packers have lost a step but that still leaves them ahead of most in the NFL including Dallas. At this point that organization is a joke.

36. “…I don’t know if Kansas City has the weapons to take advantage of Oakland’s problems on defense.”

Well…now you know.