Sam Wyche lobbying NFL to promote organ donation

As a former NFL coach and television personality, Sam Wyche has a platform.

And he wants to make sure he uses it for good, and would like the NFL to help him.

The former Buccaneers and Bengals coach was told by doctors down to his final day when he received a life-saving heart transplant in September. And now that he’s recovering well, he wants to spread the word about organ donation, and has lobbied teams and the league for help.

“You just stand up and shoot it,” Wyche said, via Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times. “‘My name is Sam Wyche, and I’m an organ donor. You should be, too.’ Boom. It’d take about 3½ seconds.

“One a quarter and all of a sudden you have a lot of exposure. I wouldn’t be here unless somebody had put on their driver’s license that they wanted to be a donor. I’ve been given a second chance and want to see if I can help somebody else get one.”

Wyche is back home in South Carolina now, walking and exercising daily. He was hoping to get back to Tampa in November to see John Lynch inducted into the team’s Ring of Honor, but doctors told him he shouldn’t fly for three months after his surgery.

So his message to his old fans in Florida was simple.

“Help spread the word for me,” Wyche said. “It’s painless. Your fate has already been determined. You have a chance to give somebody else a second chance. It’s the last and most important gift you can give.”

The NFL may not go along with it, because it has pet causes already and would quickly be overwhelmed by other worthy efforts. But we can help Wyche spread the word, and we just did.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Sam Wyche lobbying NFL to promote organ donation”
  1. internetcommenter7 says: Oct 13, 2016 12:45 PM

Organ donation should not be a choice. And we should subsidize living donor procedures. We should also be funding stem crll research at the highest level possible.

2. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 13, 2016 12:45 PM

Sam glade to here your good but don’t need to hear from you on this ,,,when I renew my drivers license that’s enough for me !

3. Paper Lions says: Oct 13, 2016 12:52 PM

The biggest problems facing society:

Overpopulation and a population dominated by senior citizens.

4. I_Just_Like_Typing_Comments_That_Wont_Get_Published says: Oct 13, 2016 12:55 PM

The NFL is only interested in causes when there is something in it for them… For the right price the NFL would promote anything. For the wrong price, they don’t care

5. jjb0811 says: Oct 13, 2016 12:56 PM

I’ve been a registered doner since i had my 1st license at 16.

6. fwippel says: Oct 13, 2016 12:58 PM

internetcommenter7 says:
    Oct 13, 2016 12:45 PM

Organ donation should not be a choice.

Yes, it should be a choice. Promote the cause and talk about the benefits to all, but the government already has too much power over us. The last thing we need is another avenue to give them control over one more aspect of our lives that (like so many others in which they already influence) is none of their business.

This is a cause worth promoting, and much more important and life-changing than those misguided national anthem protests. I wish Sam Wyche well, and hope the league open to promoting this very worthy cause.

7. luvs2splooge49 says: Oct 13, 2016 1:03 PM

Might as well, honestly. If I’m dead, really no point in keeping any organs. Dissect away.

8. ajsjr40 says: Oct 13, 2016 1:19 PM

I am guessing nobody would want an NFL brain.

9. turfdaddy says: Oct 13, 2016 1:20 PM

Organ donation should be a choice. However it should be an ‘opt-out’ choice at the time of getting your drivers license. Currently it is an opt-in. That’s backwards.

My seven year old son received a liver from a child that unfortunately passed away way too soon. Without that donor my son would not be alive today.

Organ donation is one of the most selfless acts a family can do.

Jerry Richardson, Panthers owner, should jump on this too. He received a heart a few years back.

10. spungy says: Oct 13, 2016 1:32 PM

Nothing like your doctor making the call: Do I save this guy, or save a few more?

11. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 13, 2016 1:32 PM

whoever is scrubbing these comments obviously needs a brain transplant.

jesus you people are morons

12. ironheadjr says: Oct 13, 2016 1:39 PM

No, no….we need more PINK! Susan G Komen is a moneymaking fraud….right up the NFL’s alley.

13. jgedgar70 says: Oct 13, 2016 1:47 PM

I can’t think of a single reason why one would not be an organ donor, but it should still be an individual choice.

I’m all for exiting this life as simply as possible. It’s written up legally that when I go, take whatever useful organs that others can use, then stick what’s left in the furnace.

14. kcchefs58 says: Oct 13, 2016 1:50 PM

Being an organ should be a choice AND an opt-in choice, just like how it is. Spread the word in hopes that some will opt-in. I’m surprised there is a little bit of debate thus far in this thread.

15. therealtrenches says: Oct 13, 2016 2:02 PM

He should be lobbying the NFL to promise that they’ll never market those Tampa Bay hats EVER again…good lord what a trainwreck that hat is.

16. binarymath says: Oct 13, 2016 2:06 PM

Wait, let me get this straight…

You mean it’s possible to raise awareness for a cause by expressing gratitude for the gift of life, and encouraging others to take positive steps?

And it’s also possible to come up with constructive ideas on how to spread the message in a simple, non-offensive manner?

Well, good luck getting clicks with THAT approach.

But kudos to Wyche for using his new lease on life to promote a very worthy cause.

17. dtriebel says: Oct 13, 2016 2:08 PM

I’ll agree it should be an opt-out. In addition priority should be given to people who are organ donors. If you aren’t willing to give one, you should be last in line to receive one.

Who among us wouldn’t give an organ to our sibling or child if we were to die suddenly? Why is this even a question, we should all be donors

18. learysdisciples says: Oct 13, 2016 2:11 PM

I’ve got a hammond I need to get rid of ASAP.

19. ricko1112 says: Oct 13, 2016 2:12 PM

Goodell already donated his brain.

20. FeedtheOldtotheYoung says: Oct 13, 2016 2:18 PM

As a kidney recipient, I can tell you that organ transplant affects so many lives that it is one of the most powerful things you can do as a human and resident of the Earth.

Please consider becoming a donor – you’re not going to need your organs when you’re pushing up daisies.

21. listenupcupcake says: Oct 13, 2016 2:58 PM

The drive from Pickens, SC to Tampa, FL is maybe 8-9 hours. Sam can get there if he wants to (assuming no setbacks with the transplanted heart).

22. mysterytonite says: Oct 13, 2016 3:04 PM

Proud organ donor since age 16.

23. artvan15 says: Oct 13, 2016 3:41 PM

What about spinal cord injury awareness month. At least people have been injured on the field with this.

24. ladyjet says: Oct 13, 2016 3:59 PM

mystery- How many organs have you donated?
    BB offered to donate his heart, but sadly, they X rayed him and found that he didn’t have one.

25. tonyzendejas says: Oct 13, 2016 4:15 PM

Darren Sharper donated some organ and went to jail for it.

26. mmack66 says: Oct 13, 2016 4:44 PM

Just let Antonio Brown put some pictures of hearts, lungs, and livers on his shoes. Problem solved.

27. joetoronto says: Oct 13, 2016 5:14 PM

The NFL is already too involved in so many ventures that don’t have anything to do with football.

I wish they dropped all the bullcrap and concentrated on the sport of football.

28. mmack66 says: Oct 13, 2016 5:30 PM

They will do it, for the right price.

29. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 13, 2016 6:33 PM

I honestly forgot that it said Organ Donor on my license. I am pretty sure my train of thought back when I got my license was the same as it is now. What the hell am I going to do with my organs when I am dead?

30. mibengal says: Oct 13, 2016 8:01 PM

I kept going to in the week that Sam had his heart transplant expecting a story but they never reported it.