Jason Witten downplays his Herculean display of longevity

ARLINGTON, TX - OCTOBER 09:   Jason Witten #82 of the Dallas Cowboys runs after catching a pass during the second quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals at AT&T Stadium on October 9, 2016 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images) Getty Images

Tight end Jason Witten will tie a Cowboys franchise record held by Ed Jones this weekend, when he starts his 203rd game. Later this month against the Eagles, he’ll tie Lee Roy Jordan for most consecutive starts with 154.

But Witten doesn’t think that makes him superhuman, or anything.

“Yeah, I don’t want to make it bigger than it is,” Witten said, via David Moore of the Dallas Morning News. “It’s not like I’m Hercules or something.

“I think it’s just I love to play football. I think anyone who has ever been my teammate or I’ve been theirs understands how much I love that.”

He’s also been fortunate over his career to avoid major injuries, but his contributions transcend simply showing up and punching the clock. He’s also the franchise’s all-time leader in receptions and could pass Michael Irvin for the team receiving yards record before the end of the year.

“The respect inside the locker room is the great attribute or compliment you can get,” Witten said. “That’s something I’ve tried to do throughout my entire career. My granddad taught me as a kid playing, have that respect and teammates respect and certainly know you can count on me.

“Some things are out of your control when you get a serious injury. I’ve been fortunate to be healthy. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity. It’s a privilege. I certainly realize that and take a lot of pride in being a good teammate to where they can count on me.”

They have been, for more than a decade now, and counting.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jason Witten downplays his Herculean display of longevity”
  1. cowboyinpawleys says: Oct 14, 2016 6:58 AM

” the Senator” is a class act. Wish more were like him.

2. thetroofishere says: Oct 14, 2016 7:35 AM

Didn’t he play with a lacerated spleen a few years ago? And also, didn’t he run 20+ yards after a reception against the Eagles? He is certainly in the conversation as a top 5 TE.

3. Ron Jull says: Oct 14, 2016 7:39 AM

The one and only Cowboy that doesnt make me retch.

Class act.

4. stealthscorpio says: Oct 14, 2016 7:43 AM

Just minor injuries like playing through a broken jaw and lacerated kidney! LOL

5. redmosquito16 says: Oct 14, 2016 7:58 AM

As an Eagles fan, naturally I absolutely hate the Cowboys. That said, Witten has been great and seems like a class act and an all-around good guy.

6. newjerseygiants says: Oct 14, 2016 8:38 AM

He probably drives a Ford F-350 pickup with longhorns attached to the grill. And although I’m a Cowboys hater, I’ve always liked this guy. Too bad he wasn’t playing for a real team like the Giants.

7. theharshestreality says: Oct 14, 2016 8:40 AM

Pure class.

8. stellarperformance says: Oct 14, 2016 8:49 AM

Witten is an absolute Packer-killer. I have wished for a Witten-caliber TE on the Packers for as long as I can remember. He just gets it done. Period.

9. skmad2014 says: Oct 14, 2016 9:45 AM

Arguably the best “complete” tight end in football history. You know, cause tight ends are supposed to block sometimes too.

10. madtowndan says: Oct 14, 2016 9:50 AM

As a tried and true Packer fan, I’ve never held the Cowboys and Jerrah in high regard. But Witten is an exception. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

11. redsoxu571 says: Oct 14, 2016 10:07 AM

No matter how much someone might (understandably) hate the Cowboys, it would be quite a football sin for that person to hate Jason Witten, who is all about class and a lunchpail attitude. Game after game, year after year, he gets the job done at one of the NFL’s most gritty positions. Enjoy your time before you get your bust in Canton, Jason!