Roethlisberger will have surgery to repair torn meniscus

AP

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will have surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus, PFT has confirmed.

There’s no timetable for his return.

That would presumably make Landry Jones the Steelers’ quarterback for now, which is bad news with the Patriots coming to Pittsburgh next week. The Steelers then have a bye before a Nov. 6 game in Baltimore.

Roethlisberger was injured during Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins. He said after the game that his knee was bruised and that he expected to undergo an MRI to provide further clarity on his injury. He returned to Sunday’s game after initially leaving due to the injury.

Roethlisberger missed four games last year due to injuries but previously hadn’t missed a game since 2012.

Jones threw one pass Sunday. Behind Jones on the team’s quarterback depth chart is Zach Mettenberger.

71 responses to “Roethlisberger will have surgery to repair torn meniscus

1. How quickly a team’s season can change. Can happen to anyone. Injuries are the worst part of the game.

2. If you care about him you don’t even consider letting him play till atleast after the bye. Landry is hot garbage though and they would probably be better off using the wildcat every play.

3. Who’s more fragile, Roethlisberger or Romo? It’s time for the Steelers to follow Dallas’ example and draft a QB next year.

4. I’m a Pats fan, and I’m disappointed. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, and Big Ben is one of the best in the game today. Was looking forward to a possible AFCCG preview next weekend.

5. “Bill Belichick is gonna have an easy week game planning for Landry Jones.”

Glad Belichick won’t take Jones as lightly as you do.

Its still the Steelers and they will play hard against the Pats.

6. Ben is like the boy who cried wolf. Saw the injury and how he was limping around and assumed he was milking it. Guess not. When he does come back I expect to see him wearing a bright green brace with a neon sign strapped to his back with arrows pointing to his bad knee. Just so we all know how tough he is.

7. I was really looking forward to this game. This is the type of game that even the haters would have tuned into. Sucks that Ben won’t be there.

8. @ harrisonhits2
    I’m NOT saying Belichick is just gonna put the practice on idle this week because Big Ben ain’t playing – but he’ll watch
    every second of todays game against our Dumpster Fire of a team in Miami & see what he can exploit, besides the way Brady is playing IN only his second game – he’s ALREADY
    on cruise control!

9. This is bad news for these guys. The Steelers offense is kind of the anti-Patriots in the sense that without BR it just doesn’t work. At all. Even if it did, I’m not exaggerating when I say Landry Jones is far and away the worse back up QB in the NFL. It’s not even close. To put in these terms, there’s no way his overall grade in Madden is more than 45-50. He’s that bad.

10. wow. New England and Denver just got a gift. Steelers were the only team I thought could beat both of them. Now we are petty much guaranteed another Denver and New England afc championship game.

11. carloswlassiter says:
    Oct 16, 2016 11:21 PM
    Landry Jones can play, so I still think next week will be a game in Pittsburgh.
    —————————————————–

You must not have seen much of Landry Jones.

Seriously, I’d go with Mettenberger.

12. We’ll see if this is another boy who cried wolf moment.

If a meniscus is badly enough torn to require surgery, it’s 2 weeks of doing nothing, then 2 weeks of light activity, and then another 2 for regular activity.

If it’s not badly torn, surgery isn’t required.

Even with a bye week after next week, if its torn badly enough, he shouldn’t be ready to play in two weeks when PIT comes off the bye. Or even 3 when they play DAL. Ah, maybe he’ll be back when there’s an easier game in CLE…that way he can’t get blamed for the losses between now and then.

13. The bad news was the steelers were going to lose no matter what as they usually do against the pats. The good news for steelers fans is now they have an excuse to make them feel better.

The win would have been much more enjoyable with Ben in

14. Can someone explain to me the fascination with Landry Jones? Looked awful in preseason and terrible in playoff last year. I am not looking for a Pro Bowler as a back up but can anyone see this guy winning games for the Steelers for an extended period? He looks terrified back there…PANIC!!!! Your back up should give you a fighting chance, no?

The Pats front 7 are gonna need oxygen, blitzing every down. The Steelers will throw Landry to the wolves this week, waste what limited chance they have to win and try and get someone else ready for the next game after bye. Just throw Mettenberger in now. No way he’s worse than Lance

15. My hypocrisy goes only so far, so I’ll confess: The Beach Boys’ 1979 song, “Good Timin’” just started playing in my head. That said, I like “Big Ben” and wish him a speedy recovery. Hopefully, both he and Brady will square off in the AFC Championship game. In Foxboro.

16. Oy.

4-3 heading in to bye isn’t the worst thing in the world. If Ben is out indefinately, Steelers better start planning for next season if Jones is ‘the guy’ from here on out. Hopefully Tomlin will have a quick hook because I’d almost rather see Mettengerger, anyway.

17. stampnhawk says:
    Oct 16, 2016 11:37 PM
    +++++++++++++

12’s…smh

18. I had a torn meniscus once and while I did I could barely walk. But when I got it repaired I’m pretty sure it took me less than a day to walk normally again. I know I am not a professional athlete but still I can’t believe this would keep Big Ben off the playing field for more than a week and with a bye week coming up that has to be a sure thing.

19. Was anyone really convinced this was going to be a real competitive guns blazing type of a game?
    I know there’s a lot of coverage in the NFL and analysts can’t simply say ‘No the Patriots have never had issues with the Steelers’ and you have them all from ESPN to nfln to pft giving the patriots at steelers a ‘Loss’ because Toms 8-2 record against Ben somehow isn’t real. ‘Best offense in the league, Antonio brown will torch BB’ Of course patriots were going to win by a big margin no matter what. It’s unfortunate for Ben but the fact the Steelers are always a good franchise does not mean they don’t still lose to good teams.

The only thing I can’t think of is the scene where Ryan from NBC’s The Office, writes a Tilde on all the ‘N’s on food at Oscars return party, and looks at the camera and shrugs. There was no history to or sense to think this game would be a big Steelers win

20. bucsorbust says:

And of course, there is just no way in the world Brady could go down with a season ending injury at this point.
    ======================================

Injuries suck, ruin everything.

Stop posting your twisted “wishes” as they come around.

We want Ben back—Pats fan

21. Ben would have had a good game against our sloppy secondary, who need to play with more urgency and frankly fear. Heal up and we will see you when the snow is flying.

22. How can some of you Todd Haley defenders keep it up? He has ZERO creativity. He runs the same running plays. Same pass plays. D-Will is no longer involved, AB is not being used. The TE’s are useless and can’t block. 34 can play – but running left all the time does not work. The Steelers will loses their next 3 games, and Haley won’t change a thing. All the other teams know the plays and know his system. Enough is enough… Haley needs to be relieved of his duties today!!

23. benchokeshischikin says:
    Oct 16, 2016 10:57 PM
    Target identified. Burfict is licking his chops.

————-

Burfict is lucky Gronk didn’t bit%-slap him yesterday…..

Oh well, at least Bengals fans won’t have to suffer another 1-and-done in the postseason this year…..they won’t even get the chance.

24. Well, the news could have been worse. Hate to see this happen to Ben while he was having a great MVP-type season. The Pats game with Ben and Brady would have been awesome. Hope Ben can come back close to 100% after the bye week, but the Steelers have to be smart and not rush him back. They will need him down the stretch.

And this has to cause the Steelers to get more serious about finding Ben’s replacement/capable back-up for the next 3-4 years or so, since Jones is not that person.

25. silverhat78 says:
    Oct 16, 2016 11:31 PM

Ben is a good QB but he’s another player that is always hurt.
    ===================================

He hangs onto the ball too long (trying to extend plays). It mostly works for him, but it means he takes a lot more hits than most QBs, and ends up missing games due to injury all the time.

26. This kind of injury is one that Big Ben can come back from this season. It actually is the best time for it to take place, miss one game have 2 weeks to recover…I wish he was playing next week, because I don’t want to hear all the haters saying we played them with out Big ben.

I am not a Steeler fan….But I respect the organization ( can’t stand the coach) and want to play them when they are at full strength to truly see just how good my 5 & 1 team is.

get back soon Big Ben… hopefully we meet again in the playoffs…

27. taintedsaints2009 says:
    Oct 16, 2016 11:31 PM

——————————————————-
    Tap the brakes on that idea. Denver just lost 2 in a row and the offense seems to be playing at the level most felt it would before the season started. Teams have seen the young QB now and it looks like he can be rattled. Denver’s defense is A+ and will keep them in games but to lock either team into the AFCCG this early in the season is a bit premature. As we have seen this past weekend injuries or lack thereof is the real key to success in the NFL. How they are dealt with is a major factor.

28. taintedsaints2009 says:
    Oct 16, 2016 11:31 PM

DENVER!? They aren’t even the best team in their own division. I guess you haven’t been paying attention.

29. So he goes off the field and they say, oh ya were listening to you, sure your fine go back out there and win this very important game for us.

and the team doctor says what? Could have injured his knee even worse. How about some balls and say no way your on the bench pal screw this game.

30. Ugh, this is too bad. Hopefully Ben gets back soon…I was really looking forward to seeing these two teams go at it as close to full strength as possible this weekend.

31. .
    How many times have we seen a backup QB come off the bench and light another team up? With the weapons Pittsburgh has in Brown and Bell, you only have to get them the ball and let them make plays. Their defense is opportunistic.

Bottom line : expect a dogfight Even if the Steelers are down, they’re not going to quit in their own building.

32. imodan says:
    Oct 17, 2016 10:00 AM

————————

I’d say they are B- at the most.

33. Sucks I wanted to see Ben play so that the game next week would be a shootout. Oh well hope he gets better and Landry doesn’t screw up things too badly for the Steelers well except for this week anyway.