Julio Jones: I was interfered with, but we’re on to the next one

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, right, and Earl Thomas (obscured) break up a pass intended for Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones (11) in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016, in Seattle. The Seahawks beat the Falcons 26-24. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson) AP

Falcons coach Dan Quinn exploded on the sideline late in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s loss to the Seahawks in reaction to the lack of a flag on Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman for interfering with Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones on a fourth down pass down the middle of the field, but the team’s postgame responses were more measured.

Quinn passed on making a comment “regarding the foul or not” when he spoke to reporters after the game and quarterback Matt Ryan praised Jones for trying to make a play while saying he hadn’t seen a replay. If he had, he likely would have joined Jones in saying that it should have been a penalty although Jones said his mind is already on what’s next for the team.

“I do [think it was a penalty],” Jones said, via “Before I took off, [Sherman] grabbed my right side and spun me around before I jumped up. But it was just a missed call. It’s over with. It’s done. We’re on to the next right now. …┬áIf they make the call, they make the call. If they don’t, they don’t. That’s not me to coach them up on officiating the game. The only thing I can do is go out there and do my job.”

A review of the play by the league has a good chance of leading to a shrug of the shoulders in the form of a letter to the Falcons informing them that a penalty should have been called, which probably won’t be of much comfort after seeing their rally back from 17-3 down end in such fashion. The Falcons will hope for better things when the Chargers come for a visit in Week Seven and a win will help keep the Falcons pointed toward a possible postseason rematch with Seattle.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
17 Responses to “Julio Jones: I was interfered with, but we’re on to the next one”
  1. seahawkz4life says: Oct 17, 2016 6:31 AM

Blown call, the seahawks had a complete meltdown the 3rd quarter and up til the int by Thomas. Glad they got the W

2. paastahtroy says: Oct 17, 2016 6:51 AM

Seahawk haters coming in 3…2…1…. haha… this is like any other game… non-calls going both ways… one on a potential TD for Hawks earlier… Refs are similar to baseball umps in the sense that you need to know how they’re calling the game and play accordingly… this staff was “letting them play”… good for them… and especially at the end of the game you don’t want the game to be decided on a spot foul on 4th down. Falcons had plenty of chances to win and couldn’t do it… like the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarter… they decided only to play the 3rd quarter.

3. falconfan44 says: Oct 17, 2016 7:04 AM

The Falcons played Seattle tough. It was a missed call by the officials, but that is part of the game…human error.

Julio taking the high road, saying the right things. Glad the # 1 WR on my team is not a diva. Says the right things and is mature about the situation.

If he doesn’t let the ball bounce of his hands for an interception the previous drive…it was a first down and ATL keeps running clock.

Keep ya head up, Falcons. You played well on a tough road trip. Now work on that defense!

4. sixringslikeatelephone says: Oct 17, 2016 7:24 AM

There are so many flags and bloated advertisements in today’s NFL that I literally don’t bother watching games not involving my team, but when it’s the final deciding play and Nancy in section 310 can see the PI, THROW THE DAMNED FLAG!

5. screamingyellowzonkers says: Oct 17, 2016 8:02 AM

I am not a fan or a hater of either team.

The replay doesn’t show blatant interference.
    If That play is intereferenc, that could be called almost every pass play.

A far worse offiating pass interference is tha call against the giants. The giant defender was on the inside of the ball and going up for the pick when the ravens receiver pushes the defender from intercepting the ball. Yet the giants were called for pass interference.

Again, not a fan or hater of either team.

6. krypo567 says: Oct 17, 2016 8:05 AM

No question Sherman interfered. He always does when defending quality receivers. He has to. He is a pretender. Not a contender for one of the best CBs in this league.

7. RegisHawk says: Oct 17, 2016 8:19 AM

Perhaps he can take the issue up with his good buddy Alford, who was also interfering.

8. joetoronto says: Oct 17, 2016 8:30 AM

That was so blatant that it reminded me of the non call between the Giants and the 49ers years ago.

9. kane337 says: Oct 17, 2016 8:30 AM

Julio is a pros pro. That’s how you behave if you want to be a professional in any organization. Take notes kids.

10. dreadnok89 says: Oct 17, 2016 10:01 AM

No blatant interference? Lolol you can’t grab a guys arm while ball is in the air. Period.

11. athwartships says: Oct 17, 2016 10:17 AM

Every week we see calls missed, calls incorrectly made and Jones is right with all he said.

It was missed, no doubt….but moving on.

12. nwsuccess says: Oct 17, 2016 11:13 AM

I’m not surprised that it wasn’t called. In real time I didn’t see the interference. Until it was replayed from a different angle I thought it was a clean play. It looked like the officials POV was blocked by Thomas. As a Hawks fan I couldn’t have been pissed if they did call it because he did grab his arm, but it is part of the game, happens to every team. Just happens to be my team got the favorable non-call in this game. Falcons are a good team. They should bounce back just fine.

13. kamthechancellor says: Oct 17, 2016 11:27 AM

Why should the refs reward teams who are losing with desperation 4th and 10 forty yard PI penalties? I’m glad the refs kept the flags in their pockets and let them fight for it on the field. A hand on the arm is just a trick of the trade for a good cornerback. Grab a Kleenex if it hurt your fragile feelings.

14. steviaquinn says: Oct 17, 2016 11:50 AM

I could be the best CB in the league if I can tackle recievers before the ball gets there. A hall of famer

15. fissilemissile says: Oct 17, 2016 1:50 PM

PI and Holding flags could be thrown on just about every play in the NFL, now a days. The ref’s let Alford PI and they let Sherman do it as well. They have to let the calls be consistent between both teams. It was obvious they were letting the teams play and not call ticky tacky fouls.

16. bpacha77511 says: Oct 18, 2016 2:38 AM

These refs in all these games are making calls all over the field. I mean many many flags. So how the heck can you miss that call at that point in the game? It wasnt some ticky tack thing it was obvious. Im a philly fan so i have no dog inthis fight….but still wow! Smh

17. bpacha77511 says: Oct 18, 2016 2:40 AM

Actually i think,we as fans, all have a dog in this fight. This week its atlanta but next week it could be my team or any other fans team.