LeSean McCoy happy to avoid injury, as many were when he returned

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy (25) scores a touchdown in front of San Francisco 49ers defensive end Arik Armstead (91) during the first half of an NFL football game on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016, in Orchard Park, N.Y. (AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes) AP

LeSean McCoy had to finish texting his mom before he talked to reporters last night, but she had the same first question.

Yes mom, his knee was fine after getting taken down by 49ers linebacker Nick Bellore awkwardly near the end of the first half, sending McCoy to the sideline with trainers for a few anxious moments.

“I guess, instead of hitting me up top, he wanted to chop me down,” McCoy said, via Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. “My knee was stuck in the turf and it shifted a little bit, but it was fine. . . . It could have been something bad, but I feel fine. There were a few plays running on it where it was feeling kind of gimpy, but as the game got on, the adrenaline was pumping, I was fine.”

“It could have been something bad, but I feel fine. There were a few plays running on it where it was feeling kind of gimpy, but as the game got on, the adrenaline was pumping, I was fine.”

He was more than fine, having already run for 100 yards and two touchdowns when it happened, but it made plenty of people nervous.

“I mean, I think I had the same concerns and everything else that every single Buffalo Bills fan had and everybody that lives here in Western New York,” Bills coach Rex Ryan said. “So, obviously, we had to hold our breath. But he’s tough and he bounced back.”

He also got in a little payback, spiking the ball after a touchdown in front of the 49ers bench, though he insisted he was over his previous beef with Chip Kelly.

McCoy added a third touchdown in the second half, and finished with 140 of the Bills’ 312 rushing yards, their most in a game since 1992.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
13 Responses to “LeSean McCoy happy to avoid injury, as many were when he returned”
  1. jpmcarlo says: Oct 17, 2016 7:06 AM

As an eagles fan, I’m happy he got to stick it to chip and show him how his narrow minded concepts are worthless at the pro level. Unfortunately for Kelly and the niners, he won’t learn. He had 3 seasons to adjust in Philly and a big off season of long hard thinking in sf….. dude doesn’t get it

2. followme2boston says: Oct 17, 2016 8:01 AM

Buffalo looks good the last couple of weeks running the ball. The Pats, Jets, Cards and LA are good at stopping the run and Buffalo ran on them. Yesterday was a game where you saw what they could do to a team that is not good defending the run.

Firing Greg Roman was the best thing to happen to this team. Firing your OC five days into the season and having it work. Wow, give Rex credit, he talks a lot, but the man has got a set.

Miami in Miami next and the Fins also struggle to stop the run.

3. nytroutdog says: Oct 17, 2016 8:22 AM

The Bills critics are becoming shockingly silent as of late.

They still have a lot to prove but they are moving in the right direction and it all started with Rex actually being a head coach and relinquishing his coordinator duties.

4. joetoronto says: Oct 17, 2016 8:42 AM

Can he throw the ball though, because Thyroid sure can’t.

5. cterrito2014 says: Oct 17, 2016 9:16 AM

Where oh where are the idiotic clowns now. 4 wins in a row, yet, not one has the gall to naysay today?

6. cterrito2014 says: Oct 17, 2016 9:51 AM

Well, there’s the first clown. joetoronto says:
    Tyrod can and did throw the ball and did so pretty damn good Clown.

7. harvestern says: Oct 17, 2016 10:23 AM

***”joetoronto says:
    Oct 17, 2016 8:42 AM
    Can he throw the ball though, because Thyroid sure can’t.” ***

How exactly is that an insult? If you’re going troll try making some actual sense. A Thyroid is actually a very helpful and necessary gland in the human body, so you are inadvertently giving Tyrod a compliment. Great job.

8. cterrito2014 says: Oct 17, 2016 10:50 AM

I guess you knowing the internal organs makes you seem somewhat intelligent your denial of insult just makes you just ignorant of what an insult is. FYI, a thyroid is a gland and has no hands or arms to in fact throw anything let alone a ball. Admit it, you did insult Tyrod. Stick to the CFL.

9. harvestern says: Oct 17, 2016 11:28 AM

ha. That’s a stretch. Lots of things don’t have hands or arms, that doesn’t make them a good insult. Also, judging by your writing your grasp of the English language is questionable at best. How many accounts do you have now? Get a life, dude.

“cterrito2014 says:
    Oct 17, 2016 10:50 AM

10. cterrito2014 says: Oct 17, 2016 11:41 AM

Dude, my response was to and for joe not you.
    now you need to comprehend better on what you read.

11. joetorontoo says: Oct 17, 2016 1:42 PM

Tyrod came through when he needed to yesterday! Thanks for doing what is asked of you, Tyrod!

Let’s Go Buffalo!

12. cantescapekarma says: Oct 18, 2016 4:42 PM

Holding our breath is an understatement! I was totally freaking out, and those darn announcers didn’t make it any better with all that “oh boy, this injury looks real bad” talk…

Buffalo needs McCoy. He has been absolutely phenomenal this year. I am constantly amazed watching this guy run! He makes “ground and pound” very exciting to watch!

I still can’t believe that Chip jelly traded this guy to us! I still feel lucky to this day. What in the world was Kelly thinking? (I know, he wanted a downhill north/south runner, but still, how do you trade Shady?)
    Thanks again Chip!

13. cterrito2014 says: Oct 18, 2016 5:09 PM

Shady always has been a downhill RB. Chimp just couldn’t see that. Philly had a 50/50 type O line. Blocked badly for opening holes up the middle. They were much better blocking for the tosses, the sweeps etc. As the RB he knew he would be less successful going up the middle so he ran more East/west because he knew he had a better chance to gain yards.
    As for the non injury, I first moment was in anguish. Then I saw what he was doing. Leg raised a bit, rubbing his knee joint, flexing the leg. It pointed towards him having that dreaded 5 minute annoyance of a sligh pinched nerve. The kind that usually results from a knee on knee collision. Then seeing him walk unattended to the sideline confirmed it.