Eddie Lacy officially out for Packers, along with many others

Getty Images

Newly acquired running back Knile Davis is probably going to get a chance to carry the ball Thursday night for the Packers, primarily because they don’t have very many options.

He may get to play cornerback too (not really).

The Packers announced that running back Eddie Lacy is out for tomorrow night’s game against the Bears, along with a number of others. Lacy is in the process of getting a second opinion on his ankle injury, so the fact he’s not playing on a short week is no surprise.

Running back James Starks, tight end Jared Cook, cornerbacks Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins, safety Chis Banjo and wide receiver Jared Abbrederis are all out for Thursday, which ought to make the inactive list pretty anticlimactic.

And with Sam Shields going on injured reserve this week, the Packers will be without their top three cornerbacks.

Wide receiver Davante Adams is listed as questionable, and was a limited participant in practice today as he is in the concussion protocol.

29 responses to “Eddie Lacy officially out for Packers, along with many others

1. If I were a packer fan, this is the kind of scenario I would have been concerned about at the beginning of the season. Specifically once they’re past the bye week, do they have the depth to deal with the inevitable injuries to starters.

I believe almost every draft pick this year made the final roster along with 5 or 6 UDFA’s. So almost a quarter of the roster is comprised of rookies with no bye week in sight.

2. Its one thing to have a 4th CB who can hang and 2nd WR or a slot guy, its another asking him to cover the team’s best.

The offense needs to do the D a HUGE favor, and be effective, and put points on that board early, hopefully Davis can learn a playbook in 48 hours.

3. “So almost a quarter of the roster is comprised of rookies with no bye week in sight.”
    ———————————————
    Uh, the Packers have already had their bye week

4. No worries. They’re playing the listless, hapless, uninspired bears. This will be a cakewalk for ARodg & co. just like it always is.

And I’m a Bears fan. I just live in reality.

5. You can say all you want about the Packers wasting two HOF QB’s and having only two SuperBowl trophies to show for it. The culprit has been significant injuries. Every year. Same damn thing. It’s very frustrating. I know all teams have injuries, but not all teams have HOF QB’s. Injuries are the great equalizer.

At least I have been able to personally enjoy all four of the Packer SuperBowls, and five of the NFL Championships in the sixties.

I guess it’s better than winning nothing, but who am I to say?

What about it Viking fans? What’s never winning anything like? How does it feel?

6. I also don’t know why they didn’t see this coming. Should have kept at least 10 RBs and 20DBs. I mean, do the math.

7. stellarperformance says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

stellar

First of all, I’m glad to see you posting again. We were worried about you.

But your whining about a few injuries should be embarrassing to your fellow fans.

You haven’t lost your QB. You haven’t lost a future HOF RB. You haven’t lost both starting offensive tackles.

The fact that you lost a pair of HB’s in the same week shouldn’t have been that big an issue, except for the fact that Ted Thompson thought that having 7 WR’s was more important than having 3 HB’s.

The signs were there for caution – Eddie had trouble staying healthy and Starks was fumble prone last year.

8. I am a Packers fan and I do not see the team winning too many games this season. 3 wins against bad teams and two losses against teams that are going to the post season. With Rodgers walking around the field like he doesn’t want to be there, there is not much to look forward to. Time to make some significant changes in the coaching staff and roster.

9. meetadam says:
    Oct 19, 2016 4:18 PM

“2 RB and 1 FB seems kinda thin to start the season, Ted?”
    “It’ll be fine”

———————————

Except they actually had planned on 3 running backs. John Crockett was expected to be on the roster however was placed on IR after getting injured in the 4th preseason game.

10. stellarperformance says:
    Oct 19, 2016 4:31 PM

_______

As you acknowledged, all teams have injuries. Shouldn’t having a HOF QB overcome that? As long as the QB isn’t the one getting injured, I don’t see how the injuries are bringing the team down to the level of other teams.

Other than Shields and now Lacy, what are the significant injuries? Looking at the names on that list, I’m thinking these guys are all replaceable.

I guess “next man up” has been replaced with “woe is me.”

11. footbawfan says:

____________________

That was over 6 weeks ago.

TT had plenty of time to sign someone to replace a guy that had a career total of 9 carries.

As a matter of fact, you should be embarrassed to even put his name out there as depth at RB.

12. Last Sunday was very disappointing.
    Dallas, with their rookies, played amazingly well.
    For the 1st time this season, the Packers were dominated by an opponent. Thoroughly.
    And now we come to Bear week. Our biggest rival.
    One of the games, we as Packer fans, really look forward to all season.

When our 2 teams get together, you can honestly throw out their records.
    One only has to look to last year’s Thanksgiving day game as proof.
    Regardless how our season is going, it is extremely gratifying to beat the Bears.
    As I’m sure it is to their fans.

Chicago’s not going to feel sorry for us or our injuries, nor should they.
    They’ve got their own issues to worry about.
    It should be another great game and hopefully Aaron and Co. can find a way to turn some minor setbacks into a positive.

13. This is kind of disappointing to me in the sense that I’m from Fargo and a huge NDSU fan. Would have been a good opportunity for Crockett to get on the stage. He probably will never be a number 1 back but he will be a solid backup and change of pace guy who can catch. Tough to stomach when the Packers drafted him but at least it wasn’t Wentz.

14. cliffordt says:
    Oct 19, 2016 5:32 PM
    Knile Davis will get like 47 yards on 10 carries. He is a beast. You’ll see.
    ———–

And probably 2 fumbles….

Bears 31, Packers 24

15. Davante Adams better be in the concussion protocol – he was out cold on the field.

And the soulless Cowboys fans at the public venue I was watching at were gleefully screaming for a body-bag for him.

16. Packer fans queuing up the excuses early I see. Nearly the Vikings’ whole starting offense is IR and they’re still undefeated. They haven’t whined or made excuses. They went out and played. Suck it up.

17. jaycutlersbarber says:
    Oct 19, 2016 4:30 PM
    And I’m a Bears fan. I just live in reality.
    ===================================
    After last week’s debacle, I agree. The Bears were awful, the play-calling was awful. Outside the stadium was pathetic as well, watching a few idiot Jaguar and Bear fans fight after leaving the stadium, apparently to defend the honor of two of the worst teams in football. I don’t think Fox could care less about this team. The Ryan Pace era is off to a terrible start.

18. tremoluxman says:
    Oct 19, 2016 7:51 PM
    ////////////////////////

Oh, you mean like the Packers in 2010 when they led the league in missed game injuries of starters……….and still win the SuperBowl?

Yeah, we know the routine. We’ve been there/done that. We’re all quite anxious to see how you rookies are going to fare under the circumstances.

As you say…….no excuses.

19. Which is it stellar? Injuries are why you are wasting AFraudg, but his only SB came in a year riddled with injuries? Your logic is as non-existent a Vikings Super Bowl trophy. As for what that’s like, it ok…we still enjoy the seasons and love our team. Some fanbases don’t need a Super Bowl to be happy. If you were a fan of the Pack during the 70’s and 80’s you should remember that.

You better pray the Vikings never do win the SB because then you’ll have nothing left to talk about.

20. I’m a Bears fan and I think that this is a bye week for the Packers. We lost to the Jaguars last week at home, the only game left on our schedule that we had a chance to win and we completely fell apart in the 4th quarter as Foxs Bears teams always do. Packers 48, Bears 10