Eli Manning: I wasn’t saying I’m sick of Odell’s antics

PHILADELPHIA, PA - OCTOBER 19:  Odell Beckham #13 of the New York Giants is congratulated by his teammate Eli Manning #10 after scoring a first quarter touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on October 19, 2015 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Monday, Giants quarterback Eli Manning was asked about wide receiver Odell Beckham’s excessive celebration penalty and sideline romance with a kicking net in Sunday’s win over the Ravens.

Manning referenced the discussions of Beckham’s behavior following losses in the previous three weeks, saying “you can get real sick of it” when Beckham isn’t scoring two long touchdowns as he did against Baltimore while adding that “you still want him to be smarter.” The vast majority of those who heard Manning say that on radio or read transcripts of his comments heard that as Manning sharing his opinions, but Manning said that wasn’t the case on Tuesday.

Manning explained that he was merely thinking about others who might feel that way because it’s all fine with him.

“I’m not tired of it. Thought y’all might get tired of it. That was my comment,” Manning said, via ESPN.com. “It’s up to you, and maybe thought it was me. But I’m talking about you. I’m fine with it. … I want him to play well. I want him to make plays. I want him to have celebrations and dances, and I’m fine with that. I want the team to go out there and win games. It was a fun locker room after the game, exciting locker room. It should be all positive stuff.”

Manning lamented Beckham having to “deal with the side drama of it,” which would be a lot easier if there weren’t several examples of Beckham’s behavior affecting games or if coach Ben McAdoo hadn’t called the wideout’s antics a distraction a couple of weeks ago. It’s not hard to understand why a player like Manning might be tired of the “side drama” that comes with Beckham, but reversing course from one day to the next mixed with Beckham’s clear affinity for it is a pretty good way to guarantee more discussion about it in the future.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Eli Manning: I wasn’t saying I’m sick of Odell’s antics”
  1. skoobyfl says: Oct 19, 2016 7:23 AM

He wasn’t saying it but he’s thinking it.

2. mikea311 says: Oct 19, 2016 7:37 AM

Stop trying to make a story out of nothing here. Beckham plays with the passion that we fans have for watching the game. I hope he keeps playing that way.

Beckham isnt a distraction, hes just doing dumb stuff drawing penalties that is hurting the team. He’ll get it under control.

3. med515 says: Oct 19, 2016 7:39 AM

When I listened to the interview live, I didn’t think there was anything to that interview at all. Was a bit surprised when some people heard the Odell comments that way. Or maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

4. ochostinko says: Oct 19, 2016 7:40 AM

Sounds like he’s about ready to run for public office.

5. rhamrhoddy says: Oct 19, 2016 7:42 AM

Cmon you would have worded it completely differently if that was the case. Did Odell propose to you too? Or just the…kickers…net…

6. Ron Jull says: Oct 19, 2016 7:46 AM

Odell’s an asshat. A complete clown. Easy to get inside his head, I love watching his little meltdowns. Reminds me of an 8 yr old child.

7. byHim4u says: Oct 19, 2016 7:52 AM

Wow… this society! Where are the men! No one has a backbone these days! Say what you mean and mean what you say without curling up in a ball when somebody challenges you on it.

As far as OBJ… I’m tired of it! I’m all for having fun not for random displays of undisciplined behavior; touchdowns or not.

8. DugoutDirtbag says: Oct 19, 2016 7:54 AM

Thank you Eli for the clarification.

As a side note; portrait of the NYG’s had they drafted Rivers instead of Eli; Jus picture it

I mean if one of them was destined to play on a suck S team why not Eli?

Had that BS flipped we’d be talkin Philip for the HoF by now

9. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 19, 2016 7:55 AM

The crooked media is something to fear it is taking us down

10. DugoutDirtbag says: Oct 19, 2016 7:57 AM

Rivers is the best pure passer in the nfl.

Period

11. grogansheroes says: Oct 19, 2016 7:58 AM

Well Eli, you’re the only one!!

12. jasons81 says: Oct 19, 2016 8:11 AM

Huh? I was trying to comprehend what he was attempting to say but he doesn’t make a damn bit of sense.

13. liberalmel says: Oct 19, 2016 8:19 AM

Typical entitied Manning. Pray every night you had receivers who made the greatest catches of all time to win those Super Bowls or you would be out of the league.

Cue whiny, fair weather, know nothing about football Giants fans in ……

14. rootpain says: Oct 19, 2016 8:40 AM

The league is becoming a lot like Bill Clinton used to be. When you asked him a question, he always had to have a poll done before he answered you. Never wanted to offend anyone by his words.
    Real genuine.

15. bocadiver1 says: Oct 19, 2016 8:52 AM

OBJ may be an immature nut case but he sure can play football. C’mon haters, tell me all those records he holds were “rigged”. I’m pretty sure that’s what the other nut case would say.

16. shadywarrior says: Oct 19, 2016 8:53 AM

This is why the Patriots handle media the way they do. Nothing good comes from speaking to them. Their job, albeit not necessarily maliciously, is to create a distraction, as far as your team is concerned. You make one comment and it becomes this whole big story. I wouldn’t want to talk to anyone either.

17. kickinpuppies says: Oct 19, 2016 8:57 AM

Well everybody else is sick of his antics.

18. socalmaverick says: Oct 19, 2016 8:59 AM

“Toothpaste, meet tube for the second time.”

19. getadealdonealready says: Oct 19, 2016 8:59 AM

What I said was the “whole world has grown tired of his it’s all about me antics” but not me in particular I think unsportsmanlike penalties are good for our team.

20. mortyglickstein says: Oct 19, 2016 9:05 AM

Sounds like the media just wants to create drama. That is why LeBron James puts out his own statements and not through the media directly so they can not be manipulated.

Why would Eli NOT want to throw to Odell?
    He could care less if he marries a net.

21. charliecharger says: Oct 19, 2016 9:11 AM

When you have a teammate like Terrell Owens or Odell Beckham, everyone gets sick of it after while. There are 53 guys on the team and some have won super bowls. When one guy just goes out of his way to attract all the attention, it’s annoying. It’s not like Eli needs the attention, but Eli knows a little bit about winning, and the type of players that you need to get there.

22. boca12 says: Oct 19, 2016 9:15 AM

Odell needs to start being an adult. Not even a Giant fan, but I would surmise the general viewing fans of NFL football are sick of it. Seriously, proposing to a net ad all the other me, me, me stuff…luckily the 15 yards didn’t cost NYG the game…..dude has a screw loose.

23. EJ says: Oct 19, 2016 9:33 AM

Manning is worried about hurting his mentally unstable receivers feelings… Who knows what crazy stunt would come out of him if he knew his quarterback was getting tired of his antics. Beckham came out as a rookie and right away made a statement with his play… “The Catch” made him a household name, but this kicking net thing brought him notoriety with a straight jacket quick, fast and in a hurry.

24. med515 says: Oct 19, 2016 9:37 AM

byHim4u says:
    Oct 19, 2016 7:52 AM

“Say what you mean and mean what you say”
    —————————————————————————–

Ironically, this is exactly what Eli was clarifying to the media the next day. Lol. People heard what they wanted to hear from that Francesa interview. Eli told YOU to look in the mirror and leave him and Odell out of it. They are friends and teammates.

25. bradygirl12 says: Oct 19, 2016 9:46 AM

I really wish people would stop bringing political analogies into a sports site. We see and here enough of those 2 on a daily and nightly basis. Eli is okay with the antics as long as Beckham plays well and the Giants win. He is not okay with the antics if Beckham is having a crappy game and the Giants lose. I think that is what he was trying to say.

26. bigblue431 says: Oct 19, 2016 9:50 AM

charliecharger says:
    Oct 19, 2016 9:11 AM

——————-
    You can’t compare OBJ to TO – TO was borderline crazy and he was really a distraction (although all kinds of funny). Last time I checked, OBJ wasn’t working out shirtless in his driveway talking about how awesome he was.

All accounts are that the Giants locker room has no issues with OBJ, that he works his ass off in practice.

This is more a media issue than issue.

27. Bizzareslantpass says: Oct 19, 2016 9:53 AM

The line between “passionate”, and “undisciplined” is a fine one.

28. bigblue431 says: Oct 19, 2016 9:53 AM

I love all the Eli haters “if not for those catches you would be nothing” blah blah blah

No kidding- if not for a WR catching a ball from the QB, the team would not win. Wow, amazing analysis there. Last time I checked, Tom Brady didn’t throw the ball, then run downfield, catch his own ball, avoid some tackles, and then run it in for a touchdown either.

Let’s review the quality WRs that Eli had to work with when he won his superbowls – Tyree, Nicks, Manningham…really? These superstars are the reason Eli is a 2-time SB MVP? You mean it had nothing to do with Eli placing the ball in the perfect spot for these sub-par receivers to catch?

29. JSpicoli says: Oct 19, 2016 10:07 AM

It might have improved ratings.

30. med515 says: Oct 19, 2016 10:10 AM

bradygirl12 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 9:46 AM

————————————————————————-

Good grief, that is exactly NOT what Eli was saying and that interpretation was the sole purpose of the clarification. Lol.

31. dansardo says: Oct 19, 2016 10:18 AM

Take away 2 post season runs and Eli has been one of the most mediocre QB’s in the league during his career. Not really good, not really bad, but mediocre. Kind of like Joe Flaaco who had one really good playoff run in his career.

But the guy might have a career as a politician if this is nay indication.

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 19, 2016 10:30 AM

The “take away this and that” thing works both ways. Do not get me started.

33. bullcharger says: Oct 19, 2016 10:33 AM

Beckham is a diva, like many WRs before him. He has been the center of attention win or lose.

That’s Chad Johnson, Terrell Owns stuff. How many Super Bowls did they win.

Pick any diva receiver. They didn’t win too many Super Bowls.

He’s a distraction and if they play a good team he will draw a double team and won’t catch any balls.

34. bullcharger says: Oct 19, 2016 10:35 AM

dansardo says:
    Oct 19, 2016 10:18 AM
    But the guy might have a career as a politician if this is nay indication.

————–

Take away the 4 Super Bowls and Montana wasn’t that good? Give Jim Kelly those 4 Super Bowls and he might be the best ever?

Eli was good enough to win two Super Bowls and he is tough enough to stay on the field all the time. That’s what he is. Doesn’t matter what he didn’t do.

35. bullcharger says: Oct 19, 2016 10:36 AM

bigblue431 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 9:50 AM
    charliecharger says:
    Oct 19, 2016 9:11 AM
    ——————-
    This is more a media issue than issue.

—————

He ran to the sideline and proposed to a net. You can compare him to TO.

36. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 19, 2016 10:46 AM

A distraction to who? Because he isn’t for the Giants? Just a bunch of brainwashed sheep who buy the media narrative.

37. willyalistentothis says: Oct 19, 2016 10:49 AM

I think anybody who actually listened to the interview would have found Eli’s comments to be innocuous. Although my immediate reaction was that he left the door open for the media to twist his words and create controversy. With that being said, I am tired of Beckham’s “look at me” antics.

38. kev86 says: Oct 19, 2016 10:52 AM

embellished tales and false narratives by the media are now the norm.

congrats to Odell for NFC offensive player of the week – 11 receptions, 222 yards, 2 TD’s including the game winner. well deserved.

39. bradygirl12 says: Oct 19, 2016 12:00 PM

Well then what was he trying to say? You seem to have the answer, so let’s see it. He is just trying to walk back what he said because it sure sounds like he is sick of it.

40. bigblue431 says: Oct 19, 2016 12:14 PM

bullcharger says:
    Oct 19, 2016 10:36 AM

bigblue431 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 9:50 AM
    charliecharger says:
    Oct 19, 2016 9:11 AM
    ——————-
    You can’t compare OBJ to TO –
    —————

He ran to the sideline and proposed to a net. You can compare him to TO.
    —————-
    Folks are missing the irony – he’s making fun of himself and the whole net thing when it bonked him in the head. He’s not nuts, he just hasn’t realized that the joke has run its course, he’s not a very good situational comedic actor.

TO would never make fun of himself. As TO loved to say, “I love me some me!”

41. bigblue431 says: Oct 19, 2016 12:24 PM

bullcharger says:
    Oct 19, 2016 10:33 AM

Pick any diva receiver. They didn’t win too many Super Bowls.
    ——————-
    Randy Moss
    Plaxico Burris (not sure if more a criminal than diva)
    Gronk (not a receiver granted, but was an alcoholic party animal early on)
    Michael Irvin (still an obnoxious ahole)

TO’s performance with the Eagles during SB 39 was brilliant and McNabb had the best game of his career, not TO’s fault the Eagles lost- team sport.