Roethlisberger: Last year’s knee injury could affect absence this year

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 16:  Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers reacts to a play during a game against the Miami Dolphins on October 16, 2016 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Steelers already have ruled out quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for Sunday’s game against the Patriots. After the Week Eight bye, Roethlisberger possibly will miss even more time, due to an injury he suffered a year ago.

“Doc says my knee looked good, but there still was some stuff in there from when I had my bone bruise last season in St. Louis,” Roethlisberger told Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “He said that might keep me out a little longer than just a simple meniscus tear. Maybe an extra week or so. But there’s no way to put an exact timetable on it. It all depends on my pain and how I feel.”

Roethlisberger finished Sunday’s game against the Dolphins knowing that he had a torn meniscus.

“Doc told me at halftime he was pretty sure I had a meniscus tear and that I probably was going to have surgery on Monday,” Roethlisberger said. “He said it was up to me and my pain and that I wasn’t going to do any more damage to my knee.

“I went back in because I thought it still gave us a chance to win. Obviously, I wasn’t able to move as well, but my adrenaline was so high. I don’t think it really affected any of my throws. I just wish I had played better. It would have been a great story to come back and win.”

Roethlisberger deserves credit for playing through the injury. He also deserves credit for the performance of the offense in recent years, which have been some of the best of his career. But #narratives are hard to change, and plenty of people who made up their minds about Roethlisberger long ago won’t be inclined to adjust their thinking.

After the week off, the Steelers face the Ravens and then the Cowboys. Landry Jones will play quarterback in Roethlisberger’s absence.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Roethlisberger: Last year’s knee injury could affect absence this year”
  1. dougchillin says: Oct 19, 2016 10:57 AM

Classic Big Ben. Love him to death but this one can join his “torn ligaments” in his shoulder or his “broken foot” from last year.

He will play after the bye week.

2. myspaceyourface says: Oct 19, 2016 10:58 AM

Ben is a tough QB. I realize he may embellish from time to time but there is no denying the surgeries, bloodied face, and other things he’s played through.

Steelers are screwed with Landry Jones.

3. mongo3401 says: Oct 19, 2016 11:00 AM

You don’t repair a meniscus you trim off the bad part. If there is cartalage floating around from last years injury that’s bad. Probably worse then the meniscus. If you thought he was an imobile QB before? He is now a statue back there with two cement buckets on his feet.

4. unbreakable02215 says: Oct 19, 2016 11:07 AM

Dude is a Baller.

5. dansardo says: Oct 19, 2016 11:09 AM

Why should anyone change their mind about him? What has he done differently to change any one’s mind about?

He is still the same QB that remains one of the better ones in the league. He is still injury prone and those injuries have limited or eliminated the steelers chance to win a SB since 2010.

He is still not good enough to overcome the other flaws the steelers have.

In summary the steelers will be a competitive and dangerous team as long as Ben can play, but they are unlikely to ever have both a healthy enough Ben AND a good enough defense to really ever win a SB during the rest of his career.

So what exactly has changed?

6. jakehoyt says: Oct 19, 2016 11:11 AM

The AFC north may be the worse division in football

That’s the only good news for Pittsburgh today

7. pedmeg says: Oct 19, 2016 11:18 AM

Well now he can spend more time focusing on assaulting women.

8. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 19, 2016 11:19 AM

oh, give me a break, he went back in with a torn MINISCUS- and injury that doesn’t affect the structural integrity of the knee, an injury that he can’t really make worse by playing on. Plenty of players have gong back in with a lot worse.

9. milehighcityboss says: Oct 19, 2016 11:20 AM

I like Big Ben but he is always hurt..

Time to Que the steelers excuse factory come playoff time.

10. ezwriter69 says: Oct 19, 2016 11:23 AM

Uh, @dansardo, pretty sure the reference was to his permanent status as one of the more despicable slimy sleazy individuals who ever walked the face of the earth… his performance as a human being, that is, not as a truly great, undeniably remarkably tough HOF QB.

11. steelersnowand4ever says: Oct 19, 2016 11:45 AM

When are we gonna wise up and draft the QB of the future??

12. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 19, 2016 11:53 AM

When are we gonna wise up and draft the QB of the future??

well, Landry kinda looks like he’s from the future. Does that count?

13. Staticphear says: Oct 19, 2016 11:55 AM

Another QB hurt by Miami

14. jobotjones says: Oct 19, 2016 12:00 PM

With Ben out season is a wash!

Gotta protect the franchise, this line is playing like garbage!!

15. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Oct 19, 2016 12:12 PM

Roethlisberger has always been a second tier QB in the NFL. Yes he won two SBs but it was his defense that won. He is too injury prone, and simply not good enough to carry the Steelers to the SB. They need a great defense to do that and they simply can’t put together one when QB is taking up a big cap space.

16. easyeintennessee says: Oct 19, 2016 12:13 PM

This is your future Pittsburgh. Ben wont be able to play much longer. Might want to start just reliving the glory days here pretty soon because there is little hope after Brn retires.

17. timmmah10 says: Oct 19, 2016 12:32 PM

It’s like this guy doesn’t take no for an answer. He fights through all resistance because of his will to come out on top.

Wait a minute….

18. rob471773 says: Oct 19, 2016 12:36 PM

Ben is fat, slow and too stupid to throw the ball away or concede a sack. Who could’ve possibly saw this coming?

19. celticsforever says: Oct 19, 2016 1:13 PM

Allow me to sound like every other troll on here….

“Ben is a rapist who should be banned for life from the nfl. He also is a system qb and anyone could do what he does. He won’t ever accomplish anything without the asterisk. ”

Sound familiar trolls?

20. tajuara says: Oct 19, 2016 1:38 PM

Another QB hurt by Miami

He hurt himself by trying to escape a sack

21. rob471773 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:09 PM

unbreakable02215 says:

Oct 19, 2016 11:07 AM

Dude is a Baller.
    Dude is 45 pounds overweight and that’s why he gets hurt every year.

Fat, slow and stupid is not the recipe for a long career.

Here’s an idea fat boy, lose some weight and don’t try to be a hero every play. Throw it away or concede a sack every once in a while.

These injuries will keep happening with the frequency and severity getting worse each time.

He’ll be out of football in a few years due the hits he’s chosen to take.

How often do you see Brady take a huge hit???

How often do you see Brady stuffing his face with a triple bacon cheeseburger with extra mayo?

22. 345snarkavenue says: Oct 19, 2016 2:32 PM

“I just wish I had played better. It would have been a great story to come back and win”

It might have been better if he had said “it would have been a great win if I had played better and we were able come back”.

instead he seems focused on the ‘story’, which tells me it is more about him being the hero than the team getting a win.

23. lanman11 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:19 PM

It’s a symptom of our society in general and fallout from the social media era. There are more news sources (but less major media outlets), but those sources use algorithims to show people more of what they like, and less of what they don’t like, regardless of accuracy, all in the name of the provider being able to make more money. If I don’t like the Steelers or Roethlisberger, social media will adapt and show me endless negative articles on the times he may have over estimated his injuries etc. It’s hard to overcome that outside of the fanbase. Patriots fans understand well the issue of changing narratives that were established before all the facts were in.