Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less

FILE - In this May 24, 2016, file photo, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell answers reporter's questions at an NFL owner's meeting in Charlotte N.C.  Goodell disagrees with Colin Kaepernick's choice to kneel during the national anthem, but recognizes the quarterback's right to protest. Asked by The Associated Press about Kaepernick's decision not to stand before games when the national anthem is played, Goodell says: "I support our players when they want to see change in society, and we don't live in a perfect society. ... On the other hand, we believe very strongly in patriotism in the NFL. I personally believe very strongly in that." (AP Photo/Bob Leverone, File) AP

The NFL’s television ratings decline this season is not a result of fewer fans watching, but rather of fans who are watching football watching less of it than they used to.

That’s the word from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who says that the league still has as many fans as ever, it’s just that some of them are turning games off earlier.

“We don’t think we’ve lost viewers, and I think when you look at ratings you have to go a little deeper than that,” Goodell said. “There’s viewers, but also how long they’re engaging for. A lot of times, people will leave a game for whatever reason, whether they’re going to go to other programming, or whether the game is less competitive. Those are all factors. As an example, on the competitive, while we’ve had very close games overall, league-wide, we haven’t had the closest games in prime time. Last year we did, and in 2014 we did, and ratings reflected that the first five weeks at record levels.”

Asked if some people are turning off the NFL because Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting during the national anthem, Goodell dismissed that idea.

“We don’t think that’s a factor and our network partners don’t either,” Goodell said.

Whatever the reasons for fans watching less football, Goodell acknowledged that it’s an issue the league needs to look at. Even as he doesn’t believe fans are turned off by the game as a whole.

Permalink 186 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
186 Responses to “Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less”
  1. jimmysee says: Oct 19, 2016 2:48 PM

I guess I’m “some.” I’m watching less.

2. captainwhodat says: Oct 19, 2016 2:48 PM

Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less…ah, the old spin game begins…

3. sportmigos says: Oct 19, 2016 2:48 PM

wrong i boycott all games i’m on the fence about because of protests #my1stamendment

4. 1590t says: Oct 19, 2016 2:50 PM

Dream on Goodell

5. toddheappp says: Oct 19, 2016 2:51 PM

Roger, it’s all these ridiculous flags being thrown on defenders who touch a WR. The game is so watered down, it’s unwatchable.

6. TheTruth says: Oct 19, 2016 2:51 PM

This is only the start. Roger has destroyed the NFL. Worst commish ever.

7. infectorman says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

LMFAO!!!!!

Fraudger, atop the ole’ Sit-n-spin, spewing more drivel to save his arse.

After all the BS he has put players through, his chickens are finally coming home to roost.
    The NFL is eating itself and there’s nothing fake-lawyer boy can do about it.

Overexposed,, over-saturated, inferior product; thats what Fraudger has delivered to the owners. Only a matter of time before he “retires” and someone else from the not-Yets Org takes over.

8. jfm215 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

lmao!! yes just the established viewers arent watching…no worries at all!! GOODELL HAS GOT TO GO

9. stillers213 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

It must be hard for Roger to breathe with his head so far under the sand.

10. kissbillsrings says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

What a idiotic comment by FRAUGER…. But then again I’ve pretty much come to expect that from him…

11. sonhoodoo says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

Did no one ask him if he thought it was because people didn’t like him or were they afraid of his condescension.

12. churchofthehoody says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less

Yes and the Titanic didn’t sink, it just became less buoyant…

13. flaccotoboldin says: Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM

While the cynics might say he’s using spin, if he has data to back that up, it makes some sense.

Some of these prime time games have been stinkers.

Add to this that the NFL has lost some star power over time, particularly at QB, and I think there’s your problem.

also TNF all year round probably wasn’t the best play.

14. tpusk5 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:54 PM

Me having to watch Colin Kaepernick is a reason I did not tune in. Just sayin Rog…

15. ryder09 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:54 PM

Putting garbage games in prime time like Colts vs Texans is definitely a reason.

16. redclaw1314 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:54 PM

minipoll:
    Have the protests inspired by Kaepernick and others resulted in your watching football to a lesser degree—–thumbs up for yes, down for no

17. chippys lost binky says: Oct 19, 2016 2:55 PM

And we think Blandino is clueless. In a previous life Roger’s job was rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

18. RandyinRoxbury says: Oct 19, 2016 2:56 PM

Boy, talk about the Commish in denial.
    With football on 5 out of 7 nights a week, it does not mean as much and those Thursday night NFL games are getting worse and worse and the horrifying uniforms do not help.

19. fmc651 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:56 PM

I refuse to watch the Thursday night mess. It is too early in the week. The games are sloppy because of not enough time to prepare. And hurt players can’t play because it is too soon. So players are out. Stop the Thursday night games Roger.

20. maxkingpin says: Oct 19, 2016 2:56 PM

So I guess Commissioner Goodell is correct. Doubt that makes the advertisers happy.

21. artvan15 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:56 PM

I have always been an NFL fan but wouldn’t miss it if I never saw a game again. I have just lost interest in it.

22. 6superbowls says: Oct 19, 2016 2:56 PM

Deny, Deny, Deny. Your 2020 Democratic nominee…. Roger Goodell.

23. connfyoozed says: Oct 19, 2016 2:57 PM

“The Titanic isn’t sinking, it’s just taking on a lot of additional water.”

24. zygizag says: Oct 19, 2016 2:57 PM

1. Get rid of Thursday night Football
    2. Get rid of International Football – if you want to do it preseason OK
    3. Get rid of yourself. Really do you ever remember the commish before you getting booed as much during the draft as you.
    4. Get full time refs with more training.

25. tubaplayingprof says: Oct 19, 2016 2:57 PM

Viewership is down.

Who says?

The Ratings.

Which ratings?

All of them….

26. silverandblack052099 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:57 PM

Hate him if you want but I think he’s fairly accurate on this one. How many coments on PFT alone have we seen that say something along the lines of “I hate the NFL now for reasons a, b and c, but i still watch my favorite/local team.”

27. randy8123 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:57 PM

—————————————————-

Oh, great, false alarm then – lack of compelling product, worse game on the field, nothing to worry about. Now, onto what really matters – how are color rush jersey sales progressing, are the fantasy studs producing, and have we continued to set new records for weekly fines and PI calls?

28. lemmetalkwouldya says: Oct 19, 2016 2:58 PM

So ratings are down, but viewership is not …. is that about it?

*scratches his head*

29. quickbooks12 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:58 PM

As much as it seems like he’s spinning the reason, he’s not wrong. I feel many fans just tune in to watch their favorite team instead of hanging on for the 425 games and vice versa.

It’s a problem when you can’t get people to watch actual games that last only 20 weeks in the year. The over saturation of the product during the off-season; along with bad officiating, commercials, and general malaise towards the NFL front office can turn off a fan towards the product.

30. ipdaily69 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:58 PM

How can you tell Goodell is lying?
    His lips are moving

31. tjm7311 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:59 PM

An oxymoron from a moron.

32. whocares69 says: Oct 19, 2016 2:59 PM

All you have to do is watch a Game that is “officiated” by Pete Morelli and crew to know why ratings are down. It’s not rocket science.

33. tajuara says: Oct 19, 2016 2:59 PM

He is wrong. If I take my family as a random sample, we are clearly watching less football. Before (last season) football was some sort of religion where we use to sit in front of the TV from noon till the end of the last Sunday Night Game. Now we barely watch the noon game, watch a few minutes of the late afternoon game, and almost nothing of the Sunday night game. Games have become unwatchable, no more emotions. Only a few dominant teams every year, so no sense on watching unless you are fan of one of those teams.

34. scoops1 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Colts vs Texans…or Family Guy

Family Guy wins!!!

35. fredsingleton says: Oct 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Based off the headline, sure, it seems Goddell sounds stupid. But I don’t expect 75% on here to actually read the whole article so what Goddell is saying is that it’s not percentage of people declining, but a time frame of their viewership.

Meaning, they may only spend an hour instead of the usually 3 hours watching it, not 40 people watching it instead of 60.

Not a hard concept to understand.

36. lscottman3 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:03 PM

churchofthehoody says:

Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less

Yes and the Titanic didn’t sink, it just became less buoyant…

—————————————————–

great line,

add the Titanic also didn’t lose all their passengers, 1000 left voluntarily

37. dohkay79 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:03 PM

Drop Thursday Night Football.

Stop throwing a flag every time a WR falls down.

Stop throwing a flag every time a player, who is playing a game, celebrates a TD.

38. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:03 PM

Lyin’ Roger doublespeak using semantics to try and hide the truth. He really thinks the fans are brain dead.

Here’s a newsflash Roger. I used to watch every possible game I could. After years of your corruption, lies and softening of the game I now watch only the Pats.

Yes I am watching less. But you have also lost my viewership on approximately 75-80% of the games I used to watch. That’s LOST since you seem to have trouble with words.

I have had no trouble finding other ways to entertain myself or other things to do.

39. infectorman says: Oct 19, 2016 3:04 PM

Whats the difference between “Losing Viewers” and “watching Less”???

About $44millon per annum

#clown
    #getarealcommisionernfl

40. scutz1972 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:04 PM

He’s half right and he’s the reason why! I used to buy the NFL package for tv and my computer. Won’t give another dime to NFL while he is there.

41. raiderinva says: Oct 19, 2016 3:04 PM

Its not the same game that it used to be, and its not getting the same amount of viewers that it used to have either.

NFL used to be a topic at work and family gatherings. Now it only gets a passing acknowledgement if it is brought up. The same measure of vigor after a touchdown that then has to go for review, with a commercial, to find out if it was a catch, that counts, and then is signaled a touchdown…. moment is lost.

42. steviaquinn says: Oct 19, 2016 3:04 PM

Fans are tired of their team being Blandinoed each week. They’re also tired of hearing about Romo, Elliot, Prescott, Jones and the cowboys every two seconds. There’s more than one team in the NFL. the Cowboy hype /bias has always been there but this year its x 1000. It unbearable. I don’t even watch NFL network or pre-game shows anymore

43. ktoast says: Oct 19, 2016 3:04 PM

I still watch, but watch less. Flags, commercial breaks, and outlandish player discipline are the reasons.

44. arwiv says: Oct 19, 2016 3:04 PM

Limit the idiotic flags and stop having 2 hours of commercial breaks per game. It shouldnt take 3 and a half hours to watch a 60 minute football game….its utter nonsense. As for kap I couldnt care less what he does….im not a niners fan.

45. Teddy2Tready says: Oct 19, 2016 3:06 PM

In other news, K-Mary is not losing customers, they are simply “spending less.”

No sane business views things this way.

Oops forgot, the NFL is a “non-profit.”

46. richndc says: Oct 19, 2016 3:07 PM

um, so “it’s not really raining outside, but, if you go out there you WILL get wet” sure Rog, we follow ye

47. floriostoupee says: Oct 19, 2016 3:08 PM

man this guy is a tool.

commercial breaks every possession, lengthy reviews, flag-fests, lopsided games. just a few reasons i’ve been watching less this year, and if the trend continues i wouldn’t be surprised to see the numbers take a bigger hit next year.

cuban was right.

48. Stiller43 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:08 PM

I felt kind of odd earlier in the season…like I was the only one that was losing interest in games other than my teams. Apparently I’m far from alone!

And the primetime games have been AWFUL thus far. Turn it on in the 3rd and it’s a blowout or an S-show – turn it right back off.

49. One for the thumb says: Oct 19, 2016 3:08 PM

It’s funny how easily Americans are to trigger.

Someone isn’t respecting your flag enough to you run to your safe spaces.

50. alewatcher says: Oct 19, 2016 3:10 PM

I’m definitely watching fewer games. I used to watch pretty much all day, but now I watch my team and then maybe part of one other game.

I think I’ve watched part of one Sunday night game, part of a couple Thursday night games, and zero Monday night games. Too much aggravation with all the commercials, bad/missed calls, and this season, a lot of bad football.

51. rogerWWEgoodell says: Oct 19, 2016 3:10 PM

Way too many penalty’s, way way too many commercials.. and way way waaaaaay too much roger goodell.

Theres your problems, solve them

52. brwmstr says: Oct 19, 2016 3:10 PM

once you lose the integrity of the game it all comes apart like pulling a thread on the sweater. These last few years have shown there is no integrity in the NFL front office and the mighty BUCK rules the day. Well now it is time for the NFL reap what it has sown.
    FIRE GOODELL

53. bert1913 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:11 PM

Goodell is trying to fool the sponsors, but numbers don’t lie

54. alltee says: Oct 19, 2016 3:12 PM

i only watch my team now and will continue to not watch any other team until they walk roger goodell out the door like seinfeld’s father being kicked out of del boca vista

roger goodell is the cancer in the NFL and he needs to be removed asap

55. brooksyspecial says: Oct 19, 2016 3:13 PM

Hey look! Roger’s lying again.

56. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Oct 19, 2016 3:14 PM

NFL no longer a sports league. It’s a marketing company.

The games are GARBAGE this year! All sizzle, no steak.

The NFL is DEAD

57. tylereifertisunstoppable says: Oct 19, 2016 3:16 PM

Biased/poor officiating can’t be helping. These stupid illegal contact penalties that result in an automatic first down are very convenient for giving new life to the darlings of the NFL, and can be called virtually any play. Also, when 95% of the viewing audience knows the right call, and the call is still blown after review – it has the appearance of being rigged. I stopped watching WWF when I was a child because I figured out there was no point in taking a rooting interest if it’s fake. The NFL is getting almost as bad. Also, I realize that commercials make tons of money for the NFL, but when you have TD, timeout, XP, timeout, kickoff, timeout – it gets old. And Thursday Night games aren’t going anywhere… that’s the only one that the NFL network gets to broadcast. That game is their baby.

58. couchbasher says: Oct 19, 2016 3:16 PM

Bad officiating + overpaid injury prone babies + horrible Thursday uniforms = poor ratings.

59. footballfan says: Oct 19, 2016 3:17 PM

I think I have watched 2 games this season and I barely watched half of them. Lost most of my interest in the games.

60. orange and blue own the nfl says: Oct 19, 2016 3:19 PM

Doesn’t explain the sudden and precipitous drop.

I’m sure there are many factors involved, but to ignore the protests is foolish. It’s more complex than just the kneeling, too. It’s that the NFL prohibited Dallas from honoring fallen officers. It’s that saying All Lives Matter will get you accused of racism, or worse. Kaepernick said some horrible and untrue things about this country, and for a lot of us, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

61. dbosdad says: Oct 19, 2016 3:20 PM

Over saturation is killing the NFL, I’m as big a football fan as anyone, but I don’t need it 5 days/nights a week when you include NCAA.

Sunday and Monday night is fine, Thursday, unless it’s my team I’m just not watching.

Then when you add 20 plus penalties a game and horrible announcing teams it gets hard to watch.

62. tylawspick6 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:20 PM

lmao

every point he just attempted to make with his pathetic spin
    job, would be no different in 1985, 1995, 2005 or now.

the fact is, there is so much baggage with this lying scumbag, all of these things start becoming an overwhelming factor to get people to stop watching. tnf is horrendous, the officiating is the worst in sport and the commissioner is a corrupt liar, so that is why ratings are down.

caught lying about ray rice was not enough, and apparently lying about brady wasn’t either.

arrest , try and convict roger goodell

63. dmca12 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:22 PM

Did he actually check the facts before he started talking? He says, “…we haven’t had the closest games in prime time. Last year we did, and in 2014 we did, and ratings reflected that the first five weeks at record levels.”

The scores from weeks 1-5 for Monday night football in 2014 are:

35-14, 18-17, 30-27, 27-19 and 41-14.

The scores from weeks 1-5 for Thursday night football in 2014 are:

26-6, 56-14, 45-14, 42-10 and 33-28.

Sorry, Rog, not buying it.

64. ebdug says: Oct 19, 2016 3:22 PM

Gotta feel sorry for Roger. Declining TV ratings are something his lies can’t cover up.

65. irishmanknowsall says: Oct 19, 2016 3:23 PM

Man’s a born politician. This is spin Slithery would be proud of. Geez.

66. peachhead22 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:25 PM

-Arbitrary and capricious (and sometime outright fraudulent) discipline.

-Incomprehensible rules.

-Inconsistent officiating and way too many flags for really stupid things.

-Reduced quality of play due to limited practices (esp padded practices), extended travel and reduced recovery times re:Thursday night football & London games.

-Over saturation. Thursday night games and London games. (If you want to expand to different countries. Go north/south not east/west so time zones don’t cause jet-lagged players and oddly timed games.)

-Too many commercials.

67. jjpmn says: Oct 19, 2016 3:25 PM

I watch just as much football. However, I now watch my local team (Vikings) whenever they play, and usually spend the rest of the afternoon watching the Red Zone Channel or focussed on a game on the Sunday Ticket. I wonder how many other fans are taking a similar approach and are not being counted as far as ratings/viewership are concerned.

68. pittsburghavenue says: Oct 19, 2016 3:25 PM

Not losing viewers but less people are watching? 6 to one, half a dozen to another. Just resign you fool.

69. trollaikman8 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:26 PM

I’m watching less.
    The quality of play has suffered, officiated is a joke, and the league is trying to make Cam & Beckham the face of the league.

Also, the level of advertisement and promotional crap has quadrupled.

70. theghostofberniekosar says: Oct 19, 2016 3:27 PM

Is there any data available on college football TV ratings? Very curious if the decline is for all football or just for the NFL.

Personally, I’ve been watching less of the pros and more college ball. Mainly because I can catch my alma mater on TV (or on radio broadcast) while my pro team is never on. I am out-of-market.

71. 345snarkavenue says: Oct 19, 2016 3:28 PM

the he!! with the debate tonight.

there should be a town hall type meeting with Goodell instead, with fans asking the questions.

72. ab420420 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:29 PM

I quit watching the games that seem to start at midnight on Sunday, Monday and Thursday’s

73. joetoronto says: Oct 19, 2016 3:30 PM

Which proves his point exactly. You’re still watching NFL football, just watching less of it. I like that the protests make you turn off only the games you’re “on the fence about”.

74. feckyerlife says: Oct 19, 2016 3:32 PM

i guess Goodell didnt get the yahoo poll that showed 40% of the users who stopped watching said it was because of the protesting

75. factschecker says: Oct 19, 2016 3:34 PM

——–
    Like what for example?

76. tbw880 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:34 PM

IMO….problems are saturation, especially adding Thursday Night Football, which goes directly to GREED…..and unfair
    and inconsistent punishment, which gives the impression that some teams and players are being singled out while others are skating, with no consequences to the Commish; which goes directly to POWER-HUNGRY, lack of perspective. Gooddell is a reflection of the owners. Its up to the owners to step back and understand how the NFL is not just losing occasional viewers, but more importantly ardent fans.

77. bowenfootdoc2013 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:35 PM

I’m watching less bECAUSE THE PRODUCT IS WAY LESS. Why would I wnat to spend 4 hours of my life watching the Bengals scrum against the Bucs? Or the Jets scrimmage against the Rams. The drive to achieve parody has wrecked the sport. Get a life Roger Good-all. You had me by my short hairs a few years ago. Then, you out maneuaverd your self in to losing me. Cut out the “Days of our Life” crap and play ball!

78. 6250claimer says: Oct 19, 2016 3:36 PM

The arrogance of this man is breathtaking.

79. fireroger says: Oct 19, 2016 3:38 PM

The product sucks. Penalties are a crap shoot both for the refs and the fans. Player discipline is an utter abomination. The league office and its figurehead are perceived as corrupt and unbelievable. No consistency across the board.

I don’t even watch the local broadcasts anymore. I won’t spend a single second watching the NFL as long as Roger is collecting a paycheck.

80. fordmandalay says: Oct 19, 2016 3:39 PM

I guarantee that of all of the internet loudmouths on here who are always commenting ‘tv ratings are down, people aren’t watching because of the players disrespecting ‘MURICA!’, not a single effing one of them has missed sitting their fat butts down with beer in hand and not watched a game themselves because of that. They’re just all mindlessly parroting the FOX Propaganda Channel line they’ve been told to repeat, which has absolutely zero basis in fact. As usual, they’re all a bunch of brainwashed liars.

81. toursbooks says: Oct 19, 2016 3:39 PM

Dear Roger,

You lost me. My TV is unplugged. As a result of this condition, college football has lost me too.

I now have more time to read. Thank-you.

Sincerely,
    Forner Die Hard NFL Fan

82. psousa1 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:41 PM

He’s whistling past the graveyard on the Kapernick issue. I cannot stomach ESPN but I have tuned in for a Monday night game and their cameras are focused on whomever is kneeling during the anthem.

The Monday and Sunday night games do not allow a casual fan to get into the flow of the game (touchdown, commercial, kickoff, commercial – 10 minutes will pass and the only actual play you see is a kickoff sandwiched by commercials).

In the end the nationally televised games are 3+ hours of infomercials with football in between.

He can lie all he wants (which he seems to do quite well) but people may watch their local / favorite team but will not watch any other game because they are so turned off by the product.

What was more exciting – Watching a Washington vs. Dallas or the Giants at RFK or today’s product of flags being thrown if you so much hurt the receivers feelings, receiver’s gloves that a ball will literally stick to, defenders who are not allowed to defend. It is now just one big Arena League game only played at a larger venue.

83. chicagosportsfan11 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:42 PM

Me not watching as much has ZERO to do with the protests and 100% to do with the mediocre play.

This will not change until a new CBA is signed which includes more padded/contact training camp and practice.

Most of these teams don’t look ready until week 5-6

84. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:42 PM

“How many coments on PFT alone have we seen that say something along the lines of “I hate the NFL now for reasons a, b and c, but i still watch my favorite/local team.””

And watching your favorite team only means you are not watching at least 4 out of 5 possible games you could, Ie Thursday night, 3 games Sunday, Monday night.

I used to watch all 5 slots. Now I watch 1. The NFL has therefore lost 80% of my viewership.

85. sonhoodoo says: Oct 19, 2016 3:44 PM

fredsingleton says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Not a hard concept to understand.
    —————————-

It is parsing nonsense.

A person who used to watch a few games on Sunday who is now only watching one is losing a viewer for that second game.
    A viewer who used to watch the entire game who now only watches one hour of it is losing a viewer for the unwatched hours.
    Eyeballs = ratings = ad dollars. It is down.

86. philtration says: Oct 19, 2016 3:48 PM

silverandblack052099 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 2:57 PM
    ==================================

Not for me.
    Too many reasons including those listed here for me to not care anymore and that includes about my home team.
    6 games into the season and I have not watched more than a few minutes of NFL football this year and that was just from flipping the channels. Sunday afternoons, Sunday nights, Monday nights, Thursday nights….. it does not matter.

87. flaccotoboldin says: Oct 19, 2016 3:49 PM

Scared of the people saying Kaep is the reason. If you’re not lying and being serious, you wouldn’t watch the sport because something is using their freedom of speech?

I think the obvious answer here that everyone sane is talking about is OFFICIATING and over-saturation.

easy start – make illegal contact a 10 yard penalty, no automatic 1st down.

If its 3rd and 25 and there is contact, OK, lets do 3rd and 15.

To be in a 3rd and 35 hole or something and there’s a ticky tack call, automatic first down, YUCK

Also, fix offensive PI i.e. start calling it. Can’t stand any more of these Pats-style bubble screens and pick plays whereby WRs aren’t even running routes, they are just basically run blocking on pass plays. its unwatchable.

88. factschecker says: Oct 19, 2016 3:52 PM

——
    Then what are you doing on an NFL site chatting about football?

Serious question. I’m not doubting you. I’m trying to understand the mindset?

89. boobsmcgoo says: Oct 19, 2016 3:53 PM

They haven’t lost me YET, but I am watching less.

90. denver1983 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:54 PM

I know when Peyton retired a lot of people would quit watching.

91. xpensivewinos says: Oct 19, 2016 3:55 PM

Goodell really is a schmuck.

92. rcali says: Oct 19, 2016 3:55 PM

I dropped the NFL ticket. Others probably the same. So yes, the NFL lost viewers. Hey, I’ll still make some bets, but no longer let a game on tv decide my schedule. So let your protests continue NFL Employees, growing number are not watching them.

93. mmack66 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:55 PM

fredsingleton says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Not a hard concept to understand.
    —————————-

The fact that people are watching less means that they are losing viewers.

94. bullcharger says: Oct 19, 2016 3:56 PM

Look at that Jets Monday night game. Unwatchable.

95. jsavage58 says: Oct 19, 2016 3:57 PM

If I want politics I’ll watch CNN/MSNBC/FOXNEWS/ETC..

Don’t need it in the game!

96. letmefeelyourlove says: Oct 19, 2016 3:59 PM

bert1913 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:11 PM

Goodell is trying to fool the sponsors, but numbers don’t lie.
    ____________________________________

The sponsors aren’t fooled. “Watching less” means fewer eyes for the sponsors’ commercials, and that means the NFL will be generating less revenue. Roger won’t fool the owners either. They may care that much about how discipline is handled, but they do care about their bottom line.

97. tonebones says: Oct 19, 2016 4:00 PM

I’m watching NFL football more than ever. My kids are too, and they buy products like crazy. Keep up the good work NFL. I’m loving it! Now that the 49ers are playing Kaepernick, I’m watching every minute of their games.

98. cowboylover says: Oct 19, 2016 4:00 PM

No fredsingleton, we got it. It’s the same result, however. Viewership is down and that’s bad for business.

99. dmuehlhausen says: Oct 19, 2016 4:00 PM

I’m tired of the inconsistent penalties, and the over the top protection of offensive players.

Sure penalty if they spear a guy in the head makes sense. Being pushed to the ground though and QBs stepping into a player and falling not a good reason to call a penalty.

100. torebear says: Oct 19, 2016 4:01 PM

Channel surfing during the commercial breaks might be a rating killer.

101. guadalahonky says: Oct 19, 2016 4:01 PM

First step: Dump Thursday Night Football forever.

Second step: Referees, let the players play. And celebrate.

Third step: Tell us what the definition of a catch is.

102. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 19, 2016 4:05 PM

What he meant to say is its more “probable than not” that some are watching.

103. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Oct 19, 2016 4:05 PM

Why are so many trolls celebrating cratering ratings? Must be bandwagon fans who will move on to watching something else once their idol retires.

104. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Oct 19, 2016 4:06 PM

Idiots protesting people kneeling for a stupid song are everything that is wrong with humanity. They are the same fools who believe in fairy tales, think global warming is a hoax and that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were worth it.

105. poguemahonepft says: Oct 19, 2016 4:06 PM

…next he will say that ratings have not dropped – Vladimir Putin/Russia is behind that rumor…

106. metalman5150 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:06 PM

AS a cable subscriber in the panhandle of Florida, I am fortunate to have TWO games at Noon, CBS and FOX. Sadly, I am stuck with only ONE 3PM game, on FOX. Followed up with the Sunday night game on NBC.

Thats a total of FOUR games that I may choose to view, during any given Sunday. I could have sworn that in years, past, any given Sunday would have yielded, FIVE games.. …

That is an improvement from three weeks ago. During the first five weeks of the season, I was afforded only ONE NOON GAME, ONE 3PM Game and the Sunday night game.

Gee – with such a small sample to view from, I wonder WHY folks aren’t caring to watch what the cable company is providing.

107. ebdug says: Oct 19, 2016 4:08 PM

I have found that Roger’s lies are so predictable that you can now turn them 180 degrees and get the truth. Viewers aren’t down and Kaep’s protests have no effect becomes “Viewers are down because of Kaep’s protests.” See how that works.

108. oslograss says: Oct 19, 2016 4:08 PM

I can sum up why Thursday night games are hurting in two words. Color rush. What an eyesore.

109. whispersd says: Oct 19, 2016 4:08 PM

fredsingleton

Any time Goodell opens his mouth, the trick is to figure out how he’s lying. Very often the way he’s lying is to say something that might be true, but which he isn’t sure is true, and which would be very hard to disprove.

This statement about “keeping viewers, but they’re watching less” cannot be based on any TV ratings. That’s something the ratings services don’t measure. So it might be true. But really, it doesn’t matter if its true. Advertising revenue is based on on the number of viewers who see any part of some game. It’s based on the viewer-hours. If either the number of viewers or the number of hours goes down, the advertising revenue goes down. So Goodell is saying something essentially meaningless.

And likely unjustified.

He really is a schmuck.

110. tocabi says: Oct 19, 2016 4:09 PM

No one believes this liar. Who did the analysis? Independant Ted Well? The league is losing relevance because of decisions made by this guy.

111. justintuckrule says: Oct 19, 2016 4:10 PM

sportmigos says:
    Oct 19, 2016 2:48 PM
    ——
    Lol. Some Patriot you are. All talk. Just like a bunch of others saying they only watch their own team because of the protests.

I really LOL at the people who say they don’t watch because of the protests and because the games are unwatchable. How do you know the games are unwatchable if you aren’t watching b/c of the protests. Bunch of lying hypocrites you all are. You all watch and you all sit on your fat rear ends during the anthem.

112. grogansheroes says: Oct 19, 2016 4:10 PM

I don’t just want Roger gone, I want a clean sweep of the NFL offices. Roger is not the only scumbag there. There are like 49 vice presidents. It’s like the Obama czars.

113. classyjacklambert says: Oct 19, 2016 4:11 PM

Next they will turn to interleague play… baseketball predicted this.

114. tylereifertisunstoppable says: Oct 19, 2016 4:12 PM

Nothing like a nice Goodell bashing thread to bring usual arch nemeses together as one…

115. workin4theweekend says: Oct 19, 2016 4:14 PM

“He is wrong. If I take my family as a random sample, we are clearly watching less football. Before (last season) football was some sort of religion where we use to sit in front of the TV from noon till the end of the last Sunday Night Game. Now we barely watch the noon game, watch a few minutes of the late afternoon game, and almost nothing of the Sunday night game.”

So exactly what he said? You are still a viewer just not watching less games.

116. charger383 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:16 PM

and Nero fiddled while Rome burned

117. commentcentral says: Oct 19, 2016 4:17 PM

Maybe they are gaining viewers who are hardly watching at all!

118. beneagles says: Oct 19, 2016 4:21 PM

“Defensive Holding” “Roughing” “Illegal Contact” on EVERY play. and my team is wearing pink. No thank you.

119. mrclaytonbigsby says: Oct 19, 2016 4:22 PM

Lots of old school racism in PFT comments as usual.

120. pastabelly says: Oct 19, 2016 4:22 PM

It’s time for the owners wake up and can this idiot. He is arrogant and believes that he’s bigger than the game and its stars.

121. jjackwagon says: Oct 19, 2016 4:24 PM

“We don’t think we’ve lost viewers, …”
    “There’s viewers, but also how long they’re engaging for.”

So using your logic Roger, if you have a viewer who used to get up on Sunday morning and watch the noon game, the 3:30 game, then SNF that is three games on Sunday.

Now that same viewer is only engaging for one of those three. How is that not a loss of viewership on the other two?

If the viewer has reduced their viewership by 67% that equates to the NFL lost viewers.

122. pastabelly says: Oct 19, 2016 4:25 PM

denver1983 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:54 PM
    I know when Peyton retired a lot of people would quit watching.
    ======================================
    Do you tune in just for the commercials? To be honest with you, they are more entertaining than his quarterback play in 2015.

123. billmiller1991 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Buddy, it’s six of one half dozen of the other. The league is morphing into the NFL Europe quality, at every level… starters, backups, head coaching, assistant coaching, position coaching, scouting, management. All of the available talent is being shared by too many franchises.

124. FinFan68 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:28 PM

When the protests started, I would not turn any games on until after the 1st quarter. This week, I started watching a prime time game on time. As soon as they showed one of the players kneeling, I changed the channel and did not return to the game.

125. bigswifty74 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:31 PM

So, “They’re not lying, they just don’t know the truth.”
    Good God, this ignorance is spreading…

126. exinsidetrader says: Oct 19, 2016 4:34 PM

These smug a-hole Establishment types are just like professional politicians — nothing is ever their fault.

Pro Tip: The “little people” show their displeasure by not giving you their dollars and views. Take a hint

127. jfm215 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:35 PM

NOTHING LIKE A TOTALLY UNBIASED OPINION:)

128. steves11 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:35 PM

Just my opinion, but I think the decline is because viewers are watching the teams that they root for, but are watching less of games that don’t involve their favorite teams. In other words, viewers aren’t watching as much football just for the sake of watching football. They’re being more selective and watching the games that matter to them.

129. alphabeta49er says: Oct 19, 2016 4:42 PM

The Ahmad Brooks play in New Orleans in 2013 is where I lost my innocence. The game doesn’t look like the game I grew up watching in the 90s. Many of the penalties have a political stink. Imagine if NBA referees began arbitrarily penalizing momentum-changing three-pointers, and gave the other team a technical foul shot on the other end. All for some political purpose. That’s the equivalent of a 3rd-down sack that gets penalized for roughing the passer. Not only do you lose the punt and the field position, but the other team gets 15 yards and a first down going the other way. I can’t watch this crap any more.

130. ninerfan81 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:43 PM

People have options…the NFL will continue to falter on the airwaves until there are bigger stars to root for…or you stop playing those crappy Thursday night games…it’s overkill

131. kemp13 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:43 PM

“wrong i boycott all games i’m on the fence about because of protests ”

So you boycott the games you don’t want to watch? Man, those are some deeply held principles you have there!

132. the24fan2 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:44 PM

My .02 cents worth:
    Stop hog tying football fans with that ridiculous Direct Tv monopoly and let people watch their favorite team regardless of location! Its free in that market! Should be free for everyone who wants to watch.
    OH and COMMERCIALS! 3 Hours to watch an NFL game is an eternity these days with people as busy as they are.
    And for the love of God put the flags away, especially on the defensive side of the ball!

133. mikeinminny says: Oct 19, 2016 4:52 PM

mmack66 says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:55 PM

fredsingleton says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Not a hard concept to understand.
    —————————-

The fact that people are watching less means that they are losing viewers.
    __________________________________
    And advertisers aren’t seeing the commercials late in games….the real worry

134. mrclaytonbigsby says: Oct 19, 2016 4:52 PM

Change the name to National Commercial League sponsored by American Football

135. rportkid says: Oct 19, 2016 4:52 PM

Goodell is a proven liar. Can’t believe a word he says. The most corrupt commissioner in sports history.

136. tomtravis76 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:55 PM

No reason to waste time watching any games except for the team you root for and then it’s now really a check the score to see if it’s worth making a way to a TV to see it.

The product has actually gotten boring with all of the commercials,reviews, timeout,etc,etc and there are only a few minutes of actual action per game. Plus the greed of the owners and disregard for fans, why spend time supporting the product outside social gatherings.

137. trubroncfan07 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:58 PM

I can give a couple reasons. one is simple, no Peyton Manning. This guy had millions who loved him and drew in the casual fan. Second is the media keeps tying to push politics into the game. I watch sports and the NFL to get away from that. Instant turn off. Be careful NFL.

138. bearfan3454 says: Oct 19, 2016 4:58 PM

Goodell and his crew are making the games un-watchable. Flags for every little thing. Refs need to let them men play. We watch for the big hit, the big play. Let them celebrate when they score. Goodell you need to take a fan poll and see what we as fans like and don’t like about the game. We the fans are why you are getting paid over 30 million $30,000,000.00 a year. Get rid of Thursday night games also.

139. mrmcdougle says: Oct 19, 2016 4:59 PM

If the quality is good, people will tune in. There’s also a lot of different ways to consume games (live updates on your phone). People don’t always need to sit in front of the television.

I get that there are a few idiots who don’t tune in because their panties are bunched by Kap’s protest. But that’s not going to move the needle.

140. htowntexan says: Oct 19, 2016 4:59 PM

My opinion is that games have become like the NBA where only the last part of the game counts. Why watch anything more than the last 6 minutes of the fourth quarter. And if it’s a blow out, don’t even watch that.

141. timmylaz99 says: Oct 19, 2016 5:02 PM

Goodell needs to get his hand out of the sand. I’ve stopped watching and for lots of reasons…

Bad officiating

Too many penalties

Nobody knows what a catch is anymore

Too much time reviewing every play

Protests

Too many me, I, I, I players

Lame announcers

While there are some really good female announcers – we don’t need one every sideline

Goodell’s god complex

142. ranlgon says: Oct 19, 2016 5:04 PM

I’ve watched football over 40 years. I no longer watch Thursday or Monday night games and only 1 of the 3 games on Sunday. Goodell will try and whitewash what is happening but he is the reason why football is no longer the great american pastime it once was.

143. tindeaux says: Oct 19, 2016 5:08 PM

I stopped watching the game. i’m sick of the dudes who protest the anthem, sick of the guys who put them on national tv, sick of the guys who writes about it. they think they’re important or something. they’re just football players with not-so-high IQs LOL.

144. jagsfan1 says: Oct 19, 2016 5:10 PM

They did it to themselves and deserve everything they are going to get.

Devote 4-8 hrs on a Sunday to you arrogant owners, executives and players?

No thanks…

I still think that one of the most embarrassing sights is the overweight 55 yo dude wearing a jersey or painting his face on game day……get a life

145. patfanken says: Oct 19, 2016 5:10 PM

I don’t care about Kapernick. History tells us to beware flag wavers because they are the ones more likely to take away your individual freedoms.

People are watching less because the games are less compelling. The athletes are great, but the teams are routinely poor. If you don’t have a team in the mix, why would you bother to watch.

This has been going on ever since Goodell arrived on the scene. Revenues might have gone up during his reign, but the game itself has gone to hell and become more commercials than content.

Now the fuhrer wants us to just “move along, there is nothing to see here”. He doesn’t want to use excuses, yet everything out of his mouth after that was just one excuse after another.

Want the final travesty. Over 150 comments and you can count the number of Goodell defenders on one hand. Right Roger. Everything is fine.🙄

146. hawlbs says: Oct 19, 2016 5:11 PM

He is an idiot. Play has been declining for years. They aren’t allowed to have very many contact practices anymore (not complaining, just a fact and is best for the players) so the quality of tackling has declined. Sloppy play on both sides of the ball. Don’t let the players show any emotion. Overall crap. League will be at the level of boxing in a few more years.

147. bspurloc says: Oct 19, 2016 5:13 PM

get rid of Thursday get rid of London….

TOO MUCH

148. bucsorbust says: Oct 19, 2016 5:15 PM

This is the third time someone in a key position has said “I/we don’t think that is an issue…”. Okay guys, take your heads out of the sand and do some real research. You will find:
    – Fans don’t want to get involved in social/political issues with football players before a game; we watch to escape all that stuff.
    – Fans want to cheers the play, not have to wait to cheer what the ref says he saw. The rules are so obscure that on every touchdown or turnover, folks stand and watch and wait until the official ruling because anything goes now.
    – Get the ticket prices and fan gear prices down. Fans love American capitalism but we hate price gouging on us normal folk.

I didn’t need my MBA to come up with any of this…just ask a fan!

149. snapcracklepopfart says: Oct 19, 2016 5:20 PM

The protests are the NFL’s own fault.

They took military money payouts in order to act like the most patriotic private corporation in the country, with nonstop military praise and nationalism to help the military recruit the next generation of suckers, even though the game itself has nothing to do with the military, or government, or anything but entertainment.

Well if you wrap your private corporation in nationalistism and flags, then your corporation will get stink on you when your country is doing something wrong, like cops killing unarmed people.

I’ve always found the military worship during NFL games completely out of place. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the relationship between the NFL and the war-making industry.

150. thereving7 says: Oct 19, 2016 5:22 PM

I used to be an NFL nut, watch all the games or as much as possible. I now look forward to MLB playoffs, and Soccer. I’ve never been into the NHL, only when I’m in vegas, but the NHL sounds pretty interesting compared to what the NFL is now.

151. stevegrogannakedbootleg says: Oct 19, 2016 5:23 PM

They have their TV on but it’s not plugged in so they are watching it like an aquarium but I guess it doesn’t count but it should .

Roger “Is my check up from payroll” Dodger

152. jakestro says: Oct 19, 2016 5:25 PM

Don’t discount people dropping cable for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Video

153. Getoffmylawn! says: Oct 19, 2016 5:26 PM

Roger, stop doing that on my leg and telling me it’s raining.

154. dtroxallday says: Oct 19, 2016 5:30 PM

I don’t know about you guys but I can’t WAIT for the Oct.27 Thurs night thriller between JAX and TENN!

Just kidding. I think I’d go blind if I even tried to look at the color-rush disasters these 2 teams might be sporting.

155. swedishfish14 says: Oct 19, 2016 5:35 PM

No one seems to be talking about the average fan being priced out of a good seat at the stadium.
    Perhaps fans have truly realized that their money is all that matters to the NFL.
    Perhaps threats for $750 million dollars to keep a team have turned off some fans.
    Perhaps seeing a team leave on a contract technicality after the city built a stadium just 20 years ago has turned off another part of the fan base.
    In short, perhaps the fans are tired of supporting the greed that goes along with the NFL.

156. mogogo1 says: Oct 19, 2016 5:41 PM

“Sure the ratings are in freefall but for a slightly different reason than you originally assumed. That makes things better somehow, right?” Roger Goodell

157. philipdebin says: Oct 19, 2016 5:43 PM

We need a commissioner who actually watches football. Goodell seems like the type of guy to go antiquing on Sundays. Not a sports guy at all. All he has done since entering the league is listen to everyone else. He sold the game out for the casual fan. Instead of artificially manufacturing touchdowns and passes by altering the rules of the game and making it QB driven to the point where it is no longer competitive, he should have looked for ways to EDUCATE the casual fans and bring them closer to the great game that already existed. Thanks for destroying football Roger. Too bad the greedy owners could only see the short term $$$. I would have expected much more from such successful businessmen, but then again, many of them are also not football people.

158. drinkblatz says: Oct 19, 2016 6:05 PM

159. ravens4life says: Oct 19, 2016 6:08 PM

Too many games, horrible officiating and games that takes hours. Since players can’t practice, most of them suck. Too many rules make it a resemblance of what football was. Thanks, but no thanks I have better things to do. It’s not parity its inferiority

160. damcmp says: Oct 19, 2016 6:20 PM

161. daddeeo says: Oct 19, 2016 6:22 PM

I only watch if it is on my home TV. It’s not worth risking having a beer and driving.

Since the local market likes often to only show one game per game slot (11MT or 2 MT) that means I rarely get to see my team.

Add to that the POOR choices for MNF match ups and there hasn’t been much reason to watch.

Let me see my %$#%^ team without having to enable DirectTV and I’ll be an active viewer, Roger.

162. pleasefiregoodell says: Oct 19, 2016 6:28 PM

The front page of this site was damaged today with the name goodell on so many articles.

let’s hope that name disappears quickly

163. dannyabramowitz says: Oct 19, 2016 6:28 PM

Goodell lips are moving = lying.

164. dannyabramowitz says: Oct 19, 2016 6:33 PM

Are college ratings down? NOOO. Did people have the opportunity to switch to other programming last year, but didn’t? YESSS. Were preseason ratings down? NOOO. Did the downturn in ratings START when the protests started? YESSS. FIGURE IT OUT ROGER.

165. snapcracklepopfart says: Oct 19, 2016 6:41 PM

“The BS during the National Anthem is the main reason I am boycotting all games not involving my team.”

Having the national anthem involved at all is BS.

Why do employees of private corporation need to salute the flag and sing before they begin their work day?

166. snapcracklepopfart says: Oct 19, 2016 6:43 PM

“Do the right thing and make those ungrateful A-holes respect the USA and stand for the national Anthem…. they have not given up thing and reap all the rewards……”

Yeah I’m sure you’re standing and saluting in your living room during the anthem aren’t you? Unless you’re an A-hole…

167. clssylssy says: Oct 19, 2016 6:58 PM

Actually, I think a lot of people are just not watching network television because of all the political garbage being forced fed us and the desire/need for “fresh air”. Unfortunate that the NFL had to take a backseat to the disgusting and worthless debates that have been a cheap knockoff of The Best of Jerry Springer on steroids.
    If my team is playing on network TV, I DVR it, then I can fast forward the election BS. Many of the games get rerun on the NFL channel or I can live with highlights till after the election!

168. chipper41 says: Oct 19, 2016 7:44 PM

This theory may not be brand new but I think the commercial free red zone channel has definitely impacted ratings. On Sunday’s its commercial free football and those Sunday day game ratings have not dropped nearly as much as prime time ratings. Fans have now been trained to enjoy commercial free football and it’s hard to sit through commercial full football now

169. rollsieboys says: Oct 19, 2016 7:46 PM

if youre watching less youre losing viewers. simple as that…

BYE ROGER!!!

170. snapcracklepopfart says: Oct 19, 2016 7:46 PM

“In four years maybe the NFL will learn that people don’t want their football cross conteminated with political agendas.”

Having the national anthem before sports AT ALL is mixing them with a political agenda, you just don’t realize because you grew up with it like that. It’s called brainwashing.

171. thecape15 says: Oct 19, 2016 7:55 PM

Dear Roger;

Your attempt to rectify this viewing problem by suspending one of the greatest QBs of all time was obvious. However, your attempt to neutralize the powerhouse known as the New England Patriots failed.

You failed.

You should hang your head in shame.

172. bigoldred says: Oct 19, 2016 8:49 PM

That is like a restaurant owner saying ” a lot of customers used to come in 3 times a week, but now only come in once a week, and no new people are coming in, but business is just as good as ever”. Would you believe that? No reasonable person would.

173. tjdvikes says: Oct 19, 2016 11:38 PM

I’ve got news for you Roger, that disrespectful turd and his ilk are EXACTLY why I am not watching ANY 49ers’ games, and much less of the NFL in general.

174. coloradofort says: Oct 20, 2016 8:41 AM

Laughable commentary from the Commish…..

whatever Roger, the ratings drop tells you that people are tuning out…..and good for them!

175. j0esixpack says: Oct 20, 2016 10:21 AM

Marty: The last time Tap toured America, they where, uh, booked into 10,000 seat arenas, and 15,000 seat venues, and it seems that now, on their current tour they’re being booked into 1,200 seat arenas, 1,500 seat arenas, and uh I was just wondering, does this mean uh…the popularity of the group is waning?

Ian: Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no…no, no, not at all. I, I, I just think that the.. uh.. their appeal is becoming more selective.

176. drocity says: Oct 20, 2016 12:07 PM

fredsingleton says:
    Oct 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Not a hard concept to understand.

==========================

No it is not, but it is a distinction without a difference.

Advertisers want (and pay for) viewers of their commercials. The metric for measuring viewers are TV ratings. Whether some portion of those viewers are the same as another NFL game is irrelevant. It is the amount of viewers watching any single (primetime) game that matters. The ratings have declined, and as with any market, when demand is reduced revenue is reduced.

177. kensilisacrook says: Oct 20, 2016 8:27 PM

I guess I have my answer, don’t I?

178. kensilisacrook says: Oct 21, 2016 8:09 AM

“A lot of times, people will leave a game for whatever reason…”

YOU, Roger, YOU are the reason I watch less. I watch the Patriots’ game, scan the others and I am out, and YOU are the reason why.

Stop deleting my inoffensive comment. Or are you company shills like ESPN?

179. silvernblacksabbath says: Oct 21, 2016 1:39 PM

Roger will take a salary paycut.. From $35 Million/year to $25 Million…

180. taintedsaints2009 says: Oct 21, 2016 5:15 PM

Thursday night football is terrible.

181. section310 says: Oct 21, 2016 5:45 PM

How does someone this stupid make so much money?

182. JaredJayden says: Oct 23, 2016 7:03 PM

At this point, I think Bagdad Bob my be a more credible source of information than Roger Goodell.

183. askierslife says: Oct 24, 2016 11:55 AM

The league itself is the issue. All of a sudden every week is a political mess, akin to an episode of law and order. 10-15 years ago, fines, concussions, scandals were not page 1 material. Teams played football and let the product stand for itself. All the rules and regulations have made the game soft and put it into the hands of the officials, all to appease the bleeding hearts watching from the couch.

184. askierslife says: Oct 24, 2016 11:58 AM

How much did fans whine about player discipline and “player safety” (in a game they themselves are not playing) in the 90s? They were trained to do this but the new judge/jury/executioner regime that has become the NFL. You diluted your own product by throwing your players under the bus instead of owning what the game is and should be.

185. boss81hogg says: Oct 24, 2016 12:23 PM

Its just a bad product.

186. ourbonesaredriedup says: Oct 24, 2016 3:05 PM

Roger may be correct, but it’s all spin. I haven’t seen a regular season game in 2 years, I don’t expect that to change, ever. Greedy owners, no integrity from either owners, leaders (Goodall), players or fans.