Mike Zimmer: I didn’t mutilate stuffed animals

PHILADELPHIA, PA - OCTOBER 23: Head coach Mike Zimmer of the Minnesota Vikings argues with field judge James Coleman #95 during the fourth quarter of a game at Lincoln Financial Field on October 23, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The eagles defeated the Vikings 21-10. (Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images) Getty Images

During the Vikings’ bye week, there were stuffed cats scattered around the team’s locker room including one festooned with a sign reading “Fat Cats Get Slaughtered” as a message to remind the team not to get complacent after a 5-0 start to the season.

Some of those plush cats wound up with their throats cut and red paint splattered on them, which may have foreshadowed the result when the Vikings took the field in Philadelphia. It’s not clear who decided to go to work on the toys, but coach Mike Zimmer wanted to make it clear that it wasn’t him when he met with the media on Thursday.

Zimmer read headlines from stories suggesting he was the culprit while defending himself against those accusations.

“I want to set the record straight on an erroneous report that I feel like attacked my character and reputation,” Zimmer said, via the Pioneer Press. “I had nothing to do with that. The stuffed animals I did have here were given to charity and Toys for Tots. I just want to make sure we get the record straight because my foundation website is getting things saying, ‘Your dad’s crazy, blah, blah, blah’; all this stuff. I do a lot of crazy stuff but I’ll admit to it.”

We still don’t know who ordered the code red, but it seems likely Zimmer and company will be looking in directions other than the stuffed animal aisle for motivational tools for Monday night’s game against the Bears.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
68 Responses to “Mike Zimmer: I didn’t mutilate stuffed animals”
  1. irishgary says: Oct 28, 2016 8:48 AM

This guy is a wack job.

2. filthymcnasty3 says: Oct 28, 2016 8:53 AM

I’d say the Vikings are taking the humiliating loss pretty well so far.

LOL

3. ariani1985 says: Oct 28, 2016 8:54 AM

But you did mutilate a small handed QB in week 2 tho!what only 3 fumbles?

4. bigdog2372 says: Oct 28, 2016 9:06 AM

And if he did, so what? Here’s a crazy thought: stuffed animals aren’t real.

5. wellthatsinteresting says: Oct 28, 2016 9:11 AM

Yes. Well somebody in that locker room has some anger/immaturity issues. As far as I’m concerned this is the first ‘chink in the armor’ for Zim. What kind of dumb ploy is that anyways?

6. chiefpontiac57 says: Oct 28, 2016 9:12 AM

Who cares if he did??? OMG, we have to stop with the “Everything offends me” crap.

7. greenwhodat26 says: Oct 28, 2016 9:18 AM

Who cares if he did. It’s none of anyone’s business if he did.

8. noringsforvikings says: Oct 28, 2016 9:24 AM

What a sick franchise.

9. skol4life says: Oct 28, 2016 9:25 AM

East of here fat cats get handed the ball till they get tired and need a doughnut.

10. abninf says: Oct 28, 2016 9:26 AM

I used to be amused at how hypersensitive society has become. Now I’m scared.

11. bitw44 says: Oct 28, 2016 9:27 AM

Teddygate 2016

12. bpacha77511 says: Oct 28, 2016 9:33 AM

SAMMY DID IT!!!!! You can look at him and tell hes off his rocker!!! My god man i know yall lost but its ONLY a game…..seriously does your blood lust have no bounds???. 😝😈

13. 345snarkavenue says: Oct 28, 2016 9:33 AM

they’re stuffed animals in a locker room. I think the people that contacted his foundation are the crazy people.

some people need to get a life.

14. silvernblacksabbath says: Oct 28, 2016 9:34 AM

Stuffed Animal-Gate

15. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 28, 2016 9:35 AM

That’s exactly what I would expect someone who did mutilate stuffed animals to say.

16. Purple People Eaters says: Oct 28, 2016 9:38 AM

While I think it highly unlikely that a guy as serious as Zimmer would pull such a stunt, he was the one saying to his team that “fat cats get slaughtered” and I don’t think collecting stuffed cats and then donating them to Toys for Tots really quite captures that metaphor…. however, mutilating them certainly would.

The whole thing is just so bizarre.

17. slickspielman says: Oct 28, 2016 9:40 AM

I remember his defense mutilating a B squad team week 2.

18. ieatchickens says: Oct 28, 2016 9:42 AM

Zimmer is correct. He didn’t do it. My Guess:

Adrian Peterson, in the locker room, with a switch

19. whatjusthapped says: Oct 28, 2016 9:42 AM

From the franchise that markets a child abuser as the face of the franchise, nothing would surprise me but if he said he didn’t do it, the press should take him at face value.

Why should Zimmer be treated any different that Hillary Clinton.

20. lindacasethebusybody says: Oct 28, 2016 9:48 AM

Next, he’ll eat out of a fake soiled diaper to show how badly he wants to win (copyright, Les Steckel).

21. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 9:51 AM

Even if he only bought some stuffed cats, this motivational gimmick worked about as well as the “Beat Green Bay” T-shirts last year. Zimmer is a master tactician and a great leader, but I think he needs to get out of the motivational gimmick business.

22. joetoronto says: Oct 28, 2016 9:52 AM

This is what it’s come to, people freaking out over stuffed animals.

We really need to toughen up, and fast.

23. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 9:52 AM

Isn’t “Fat Cats Get Slaughtered” Hillary Clinton’s campaign slogan?

24. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 9:53 AM

I think the Eagles provided the motivational tool for Monday night’s game against the Bears.

25. waldoampere says: Oct 28, 2016 9:53 AM

Best PFT headline ever.

26. jonathankrobinson424 says: Oct 28, 2016 9:54 AM

…Rodger, get on this travesty RIGHT AWAY !..& try and not sweep this under the rug! .Give them a $15,258.30 fine, 6 game suspension and loss of a 1st round pick next year. I EXPECT NOTHING LESS !!……..welcome to the current NFL atmosphere.

27. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 9:55 AM

In Green Bay, the only motivational tool the coach needs is fat shaming.

28. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 9:58 AM

Motivational tools are stupid. Where I work, nobody uses a gimmick to motivate me to work harder and look at me. I comment on PFT all day long. Wait…

29. cheeseisfattening says: Oct 28, 2016 10:02 AM

Mike McCarthy mutilates cheeseburgers in the locker room everyday and nobody makes a fuss about it.

30. diveleft says: Oct 28, 2016 10:05 AM

He may not have mutilated stuffed animals, but his team will mutilate the Bears on Halloween.

31. mvikes10 says: Oct 28, 2016 10:13 AM

Who cares !!! America is going to hell in a hand basket!!! This sensitivity crap is unreal!! Pretty soon we all teams are not going to be allowed a mascot because it is offensive!! Someone out there is an ancestor of an ole pirate from back in the day!!! Tampa has to get rid of their Buccaneer!!!

32. lgw91s says: Oct 28, 2016 10:14 AM

How barbaric. Next, he will be seen mercilessly kicking a can down the street.

33. mvikes10 says: Oct 28, 2016 10:14 AM

Mike McCarthy mutilates cheeseburgers!!! Now thats funny!! Very offensive, but funny!!!! Hahaha!

34. pkrlvr says: Oct 28, 2016 10:16 AM

Good lord what’s gonna happen if the bears beat them?

35. The Almighty Cabbage says: Oct 28, 2016 10:18 AM

Zimmy The Chimp is clearly losing his mind. Maybe this is why nobody would give him a head coaching gig for all those years.

On the bright side, if those ears get any redder, they may just burst into flames.

36. pkrlvr says: Oct 28, 2016 10:21 AM

I remember his defense mutilating a B squad team week 2.
    ——-
    Yeah that 3 pt victory was a real mutilation. In reality a mutilation if more like what the eagles did to you guys last week. And why can’t you guys ever talk about your team without immediately attacking ours? Inferiority complex?

37. 1lombardibeforeigo says: Oct 28, 2016 10:22 AM

Clinton mafia set him up. Bastards!

38. spungy says: Oct 28, 2016 10:24 AM

You may have a “Sleepwalker” on the team.

39. hawksfansince77 says: Oct 28, 2016 10:28 AM

Wait….Mike Vick plays for the Vikings?

40. artvan15 says: Oct 28, 2016 10:29 AM

Great story. He should be turned into the ASPCA. Maybe a prison term is in order for this atrocity.

41. atthemurph says: Oct 28, 2016 10:31 AM

Schism….. The inflated roof of the franchise is now collapsing.

October is almost over and so are the Vikings aspirations.

42. DugoutDirtbag says: Oct 28, 2016 10:43 AM

I, for one take his word for it.

Think I want to end up like one of those stuffed animals? LoL

Naw all jokes aside, he’s the best defensive coach in the NFL so I’m guessing he has more important things to deal with than stuffed animals.

Still not gonna leave any dolls lying around Winter Park though…

43. DugoutDirtbag says: Oct 28, 2016 10:45 AM

Honestly it sounds more like something Adrian Peterson would do. He has a lot of time on his hands these days….

Anyone check his locker lately?

44. Getoffmylawn! says: Oct 28, 2016 10:45 AM

It’s funny how this story is about the Eagles and how they destroyed the Vikings. Then all the Vikings fans can do is point out that they beat Green Bay by three points. I guess that is their goal all along. Just to beat GB. Their goal certainly isn’t Super Bowl wins.

45. ligat52 says: Oct 28, 2016 10:47 AM

Seriously? This is a thing people are bent out of shape about?

46. h0metownzero says: Oct 28, 2016 10:57 AM

I’m not quite sure how to explain this, other than something happens once they put that purple on.

47. Teddy2Tready says: Oct 28, 2016 11:11 AM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Oct 28, 2016 9:52 AM
    Isn’t “Fat Cats Get Slaughtered” Hillary Clinton’s campaign slogan?

———————————————————————

It is her unofficial campaign slogan.

However, what she really means is, “Fat cats get free access to the White House and State Dept.”

48. purplepassion1961 says: Oct 28, 2016 11:13 AM

lindacasethebusybody says:
    Oct 28, 2016 9:48 AM
    ——————————
    Nope. Think ur talking bout Fat Eddie, McMuffin, and every hungry Packer fan in Turd Bay. (Why do you think it’s called Turd Bay?)

49. pftreader69 says: Oct 28, 2016 11:16 AM

Sure it all starts with stuffy abuse, next thing you know you’re hooked on bean bag chairs and find yourself face down in Yogibo.

50. 345snarkavenue says: Oct 28, 2016 11:20 AM

coming next summer to a theatre near you:

Ted 3: The Wrath of Zimmer

51. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 11:30 AM

pkrlvr says:
    Oct 28, 2016 10:16 AM

Good lord what’s gonna happen if the bears beat them?
    ______

I don’t think you have to worry too much about that.

52. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 11:31 AM

By the way, the phrase “fat cats get slaughtered” isn’t actually a thing.

53. contra74isloosebutthole says: Oct 28, 2016 11:37 AM

Yeah, sure he didn’t do it. Okay whatever you say white Mike Singletary!

54. osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says: Oct 28, 2016 11:46 AM

Remember kids, mutilating stuffed animals is the first step towards losing to the Seahawks in the playoffs

55. osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says: Oct 28, 2016 11:46 AM

Again

56. stellarperformance says: Oct 28, 2016 11:56 AM

Jeff Pearlman said this is true. Viking fans believe the things he said about Aaron Rodgers, no questions asked, so, I guess they need to believe this too.

57. mnvikes1961 says: Oct 28, 2016 12:10 PM

Getoffmylawn! says:
    Oct 28, 2016 10:45 AM

____________

First off, this happened BEFORE the Eagles game so where did you get the idea it was about “how they (Eagles) destroyed the Vikings”? Did you find that somewhere in the article? I couldn’t. Re-read it. This time take the cheese-goggles off, it will help your comprehension immensely.

The only person above pointing out the 3 point loss is a Packer troll, and just like all the trolls before him, he wears that 3-point loss like a badge of accomplishment. That tells you all you need to know.

And who knew you had to forfeit the Super Bowl if you beat the Packers? Guess we better plan ahead next season.

58. In Teddy We Trust says: Oct 28, 2016 12:44 PM

osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says:
    Oct 28, 2016 11:46 AM

________

How did that wide left feel Sunday night?

59. The Almighty Cabbage says: Oct 28, 2016 1:28 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Oct 28, 2016 12:44 PM

How did that wide left feel Sunday night?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bet it didn’t feel nearly as bad as the one that ended last year’s purple pipe dream.

60. fmc651 says: Oct 28, 2016 2:20 PM

Absurd people on here trying to ridicule coach Zimmer . When he is one of the best coaches in the NFL.Trolls smh

61. filthymcnasty3 says: Oct 28, 2016 2:59 PM

I fear Zimmer might never win even a single playoff game.

62. purplepassion1961 says: Oct 28, 2016 3:37 PM

filthymcnasty3 says:
    Oct 28, 2016 2:59 PM
    I fear Zimmer might never win even a single playoff game.
    ————————
    I fear McMuffin might never even GO to another playoff game.

There. I fixed it for you, Cheesehead.

63. mnvikes1961 says: Oct 28, 2016 4:11 PM

Everyone knows Zimmer had nothing to do with this.

Everyone also knows the Packers will be in 3rd place after Week 8 has played out.

64. dispozblcopy says: Oct 28, 2016 4:25 PM

Funniest headline in a long time.

65. skolvikies89 says: Oct 28, 2016 4:53 PM

This is still not as bad as wearing cheese as a hat….

66. lambeaudungbarn says: Oct 28, 2016 4:55 PM

filthymcnasty3 says:
    Oct 28, 2016 2:59 PM
    I fear Zimmer might never win even a single playoff game.
    ===========================================
    Then what does that say for your Packers? cause He has beat them 2x in a row.

67. fansince68 says: Oct 29, 2016 8:48 PM

It comes with the territory. As the team gets better more people pay attention. Zimmer is the face of the franchise, not AP, Bradford or Harrison Smith. Of course some hyper-sensitive whack job will cry out! Dealing with them doesn’t make Zimmer one of them. Then again, Packer fans can hope.

68. skol4life says: Oct 30, 2016 1:02 AM

Packer fans doing the crappie flop