Terry Bradshaw on Mike Tomlin: Great cheerleader, not a great coach

Getty Images

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has won a Super Bowl, been to another and compiled 101 regular-season wins in 10 years, but he has failed to impress one of the great players in franchise history.

Hall of Fame Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw said on FOX Sports 1 that he doesn’t think much of Tomlin as a coach.

“I don’t think he’s a great coach at all,” Bradshaw said of Tomlin. “He’s a nice coach. To me, and I’ve said this, he’s really a great cheerleader guy. I don’t know what he does. But I don’t think that he’s a great coach at all. His name never even pops in my mind when we think about great coaches in the NFL.”

Bradshaw said Tomlin’s predecessor in Pittsburgh, Bill Cowher, was a great coach. But Bradshaw thinks Tomlin just inherited a good team from Cowher and kept it going.

Those comments may not sit well with the current regime in Pittsburgh, and the team’s director of communications tweeted about Tomlin’s solid record shortly after Bradshaw made his comments. But Bradshaw doesn’t seem to care whether his opinions of Tomlin will hurt feelings in Pittsburgh.

132 responses to “Terry Bradshaw on Mike Tomlin: Great cheerleader, not a great coach

1. great coaches do not have teams that lose a dozen or more games to horrible teams costing multiple playoff berths or losing out on potential bye weeks . Bradshaw plays the goof like a champ but do not doubt his football knowledge.
    I heard him years ago do an interview where the interviewer kind of said well that was a really insightful commentary and was asking why he wasn’t serious more. Bradshaw just stated if they keep writing checks I can deposit for me acting goofy I will keep acting goofy .

2. If he means Tomlin is a great motivator and only an average game day play in play out kind of guy, then ok. I agree with that. In the end he is a coach and the results have been pretty good.

3. He just won his 100th game in his 10th season. That’s an average record of 10-6 per season and not one was a losing season. He might not be a great coach, but he’s no cheerleader either.

4. He’s right. Tomlin inherited a great team from Cower, nothing more.

His team has underperformed and been undisciplined every year.

I wonder if other coaches trip opposing players during live play? Probably not

5. Call me crazy, but this sounds staged. Comments like these will galvinize the locker room. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler with that group.

6. He has a hundred wins as a head coach So give him credit where credit is due. That’s like saying Andy Reid was a great cheerleader and his Philly time. You wouldn’t say that because that’s stupid, just like this is. And you can’t give him to Cower excuse either because he’s still going strong

7. By the way Cowher’s 149-90-1 in 15 years to Tomlin’s 101-57 in 10, with NO losing season so far unlike Cowher. Give respect where respect is due he is no cheerleader and I’m an Eagles fan.

8. xxsweepthelegxx says:
    Dec 24, 2016 5:59 AM
    He’s right. Tomlin inherited a great team from Cower, nothing more.
    ——————————————–
    LOL yeah, inherited and been coaching the same team for 9 years now, ok smart guy. Lets run the guy out who averages 10 wins a year what could possibly go wrong?

9. i think we can all agree that tomlin has a lot of raw coaching talent, but im not sure i trust his work ethic. cowher had a higher motor, was more scrappy, a real gym rat. tomlin, not so much.

10. I thought Tomlin was a great coach. And then Arians was driven out of town and he hired Haley.

Still above average but development of leadership team suspect at best.

11. He’s right. Tomlin leaves me saying WTF much to often. As for Bradshaw the QB, he was pretty good for his era. If Brady or Manning played the 70s their numbers wouldn’t be so inflated. A much different game then. That’s a fact.

12. greglloydrules says:

=================================

So you’re saying he’s neither a great coach or cheerleader? You may have been trying to bash Bradshaw but even his comments about Tomlin were more positive.

13. Here are the real stats:

So, the question becomes, where does Tomlin, the current Steelers coach, rank amongst the trio?

In the interest of fairness, only the first seven seasons of each coach’s tenure has been considered in answering this question.

Obviously, the best barometer of success is winning—Cowher and Tomlin are tied for tops in that regard. Each coach posted a record of 71-41 through seven regular seasons.

Noll ranks well behind the duo through the same span at 55-42-1. Of course, those numbers are severely skewed by a talent-depleted team and, in return, a slow start to his career.

14. Terry’s war against all things Pittsburgh continues. No showing Chuck Noll’s funeral was the start. Crapping on Big Ben was just another chapter and now calling out Tomlin.
    All Tomlin does is win. If he were ever to hit the FA coaching market there would be a Brinks truck backed up in his driveway.

15. xxsweepthelegxx says:
    Dec 24, 2016 5:59 AM
    He’s right. Tomlin inherited a great team from Cower, nothing more.
    —–
    The team Tomlin inherited from Cowher was 8-8 and Tomlin. He then took that team to 10-6 the next season and then a superbowl after that season. If Tomlin inheriting an 8-8 team qualifies as inheriting a great team I guess immediately taking that team to 10-6 and then 12-4 and a superbowl win qualifies as legendary.

16. He’s not a coach he’s a hype man

What coach chest bumps his players

all he needs to complete the hype man act is a little person
    (Or as I affectionately call them “people McNuggets”)
    Running next to him in a Steelers jersey on the sidelines.

17. zakkwyldeslespaul says:
    Dec 24, 2016 6:35 AM

I’m sorry but with respect the only fact here is that you’re either too young to have seen those teams or too old and looking through rose colored glasses. Brady or Manning would have owned the league then just as today.

The 70’s Steelers probably wouldn’t score a point on today’s Steelers. Just to down the roster and check the player stats.

18. I thought I read somewhere a while back that this guy died in a car accident? Maybe the lead in this story should be dead guy likes Tomlinson as a cheerleader.

19. Bradshaw is the cheerleader in this post. The guy cheers for himself, is self absorbed and obnoxious, always has been, and is the primary reason I stopped watching pregame and halftime shows many years ago.

20. I watch Tomlin coach against the Browns twice per year. He’s an excellent coach. He’s gutsy and will look for every advantage to win.

I think he’s a better coach than Cowher. Way more aggressive.

21. First, Terry is wrong here. I’m not a Steelers fan but a Pats fan who respects what the Steelers do every year under Tomlin. I always hope the Pats Scouts follow the Steeler Scouts around the combine when the Steeler’s are looking at WR! LOL!

Anyway, not to digress. Is it Tomlin who determines who is on his staff, who makes the team and such…of course he is. One thing is certain, a bad Coach will destroy a franchise not matter what he inherits with a team. So Tomlin has kept the Steelers on the correct course for almost 10 years so the it’s Cowher’s team is pretty lame, it’s Tomlin’s team and therefore Tomlin’s record…..and it’s a damn good one.

Tomlin is a very good Coach, he’s too young to be called great but he may well end up being that, time will tell.

22. About a year ago someone commented in a Pittsburgh paper that they had compared Tomlin’s and Cowher’s records against teams that were 1-3 games under .500 and 4 or more games under .500. At that time Tomlin’s record was actually slightly better in those games than Cowher’s.

Also, this year people are going to feel like Tomlin lost to two teams he should have beat because the Dolphins and Ravens were both below .500 when they beat the Steelers. But both those teams are going to end the season with winning records and both are in the playoff hunt. So those two losses don’t really look so terrible anymore.

So at the end of the season the only team that Tomlin SHOULD have beat and didn’t is Philly. And they were super hot to start the season while the Steelers were without Bell.

I don’t like Tomlin’s talent evaluation and some of his in game decisions are highly questionable, but if he isn’t a great coach, he is at least very good!

And Cowher was a pretty good cheerleader too! At least Tomlin does it with less spittle!

23. I guess it depends on what Bradshaw’s definition of a “great coach” is.

Tomlin has been a solid coach. I don’t know if that qualifies as “great.” For some it might. For Terry, obviously, it doesn’t.

People forget a lot of Steelers fans wanted Cowher gone around 2000 after a three-year run of 7-9, 6-10, and 9-7. They were also upset Cowher decided to keep Kordell Stewart as the team’s qb.

In hindsight, Tommy Maddox saved Cowher’s job. Go figure.

And Cowher didn’t even want to draft Big Ben. He wanted an o-lineman. The front office stepped in and vetoed that in fear of having another ‘Dan Marino situation’ (missing out on a franchise qb in, basically, their own backyard).

And the ‘Tomlin won with Cowher’s players’ argument is plain stupid. If that is the case, then Cowher won with Noll’s players since he inherited Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, and Dermontti Dawson (among others).

I don’t know if Tomlin is a “great coach,” I just know that he’s done a great job. Yeah, he won with some good talent. But he has also continued to win with new talent. It’s not easy replacing Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, James Farrior, Ike Taylor, Alan Faneca, Hines Ward and on and on and on. He saw the departure of some Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl talent (mostly on defense) all exit the game at the same time and has continued to win.

Terry has a tendency to say some dumb things — that usually requires him apologizing years later for — after realizing how dumb they were. I believe this is another one of those instances.

24. Tomlin will be remembered for just 2 things:

Whining after every loss.

Stepping out onto the field to trip the Ravens’ returner. Jacoby Jones?

No class.

25. When you lose to an 8-8 Tim Tebow, with a hall of fame QB, in the playoffs, you’re a lousy coach. Steelers are a great organization with a Rooney rule coach.

26. I have no affinity for the team, but Pittsburgh’s a pretty special place, where players want to go and play extremely hard for the fans and the ownership. Most coaches should succeed there. Having said that, both coaches were pretty damn successful in my view. I’m not sure why Terry feels the need to criticize one of them.

27. Tomlin is not a “great” coach…I don’t think this is a news flash to anyone…BUT he is a good coach who has surrounded himself with other good coaches which has allowed him to be the motivator/cheerleader that we see on Sunday. There are few “Greats”….it is overused and devalues the accomplishments of the truly great players/coaches.

28. Depends on what is defined as a great coach. Belichick is the only great coach in the NFL right now for me but if one has a looser definition of great then Tomlin should probably be considered one.

For me, I consider Tomlin one of the better coaches in the league which may not say much since the NFL is full of horrible coaching.

No matter what, Bradshaw is an idiot. Has to be one of the stupidest people on TV.

29. Tomlin: 101 wins in 10 seasons, never had a losing season, inherited an 8-8 team from Cowher and took it to the SB.
    Cowher: Had two wretched 6-10 seasons (funny how complainers and people like Bradshaw conveniently ignore that) and had the last losing season the Steelers had, and coddled Kordell Stewart for years.

Since the objective data clearly support Tomlin, it is also pretty obvious that the comments re: Tomlin are thinly disguised comments that have little to do with coaching.

30. I don’t know if he’s great, but he would be my all time favorite coach if, just for kicks, he had Boswell open the game with that funky on-side kick he tried at the end of the last Ravens game.

31. “xxsweepthelegxx says:
    Dec 24, 2016 5:59 AM
    He’s right. Tomlin inherited a great team from Cower, nothing more.
    His team has underperformed and been undisciplined every year.
    I wonder if other coaches trip opposing players during live play? Probably not”

Wow, what vile and disgustingly cowardly lies. 1. Cowher left Tomlin and 8-8 team which Tomlin took to the SB, sport. “Nothing more”, indeed. 2. 101 wins in 10 years and no losing seasons. Cowher had multiple losing seasons. That is “underperforming”. 3. As has been shown multiple times, his being on the field was inadvertent. If you watched the video (you never did, you just want to spread hate”) you can see he was looking up at the clock/scoreboard.

So the question is. who taught you that blatant lying is acceptable, coward? Seriously.

32. Tomlinson is a great coach just ask my niners jags colts bills jets browns bengals titans eagles redskins cowboys bears packers Vikings who they would rather have as a coach

33. Steelers and Patriots are good for only 1 reason-They have a QB

Tomlin is by far the most overrated coach of all-time. Terry is right on this one…

34. I don’t often agree with Terry but he is spot on with this one. Mike Tomlin didn’t walk into a Cleveland Browns type situation. Tomlin inherited a Super Bowl winning team that had a massively talented bench. The team was so deep that at the time they were drafting for development and future needs. At times during the game you would think he is playing stump the chump with his decisions and clock management.

He has perhaps the best WR and RB in the league and is in a fight for a playoff spot in week 16. Look no further then the Dallas game. By all rights the Steelers should have won but the guy on the sidelines who was never taught how to wear a coat decided to continually go for 2 point conversions and lost.

35. Kc fan here. Would take him over reid in a heartbeat. Steelers know what their doing when it comes to head coaches. How many since what 69′? I think three? How many championships? Wouldn’t question this organization over nothing. The cowboys can spout off all they want but i believe Pittsburgh truly is America’s team. Hard nose, blue collar type of mentality. If the chiefs offense can pull it’s head out of its a**. And make the playoffs,I hope they don’t play them.

36. I don’t know if he is a “great” coach, whatever that means, but name me a coach who has had more success (other than the Hoodie). Why do people have a hard time giving him his due – or feel the need to “qualify his success?” I think we know why , but I won’t go there.

It’s crazy when people say, he only wins because he has a franchise QB. Duh! Name me a coach who wins consistently who DOESNT have a franchise QB.

Coaches are judged by their success. Tomlin’s record speaks for hisself. He has to be included in the discussion of the upper echelons coaches, whether people like it or not.

37. Overall, Trip Tomlin is 7-7 without Big Ben, compared to Belichick at 14-6 without Brady.

And Tomlin is a whiner – falsely accusing Belichick of cheating headsets and (a perfectly legal) goal-line shift – for which Tomlin got a free-pass despite such public antics being two of Fraudger’s “integrity of the game” rules.

38. ancient-mariner says:
    Pretty ironic from the guy who made it to the Hall of Fame WBing an amazing team. He was the Trent Dilfer of the 70s.
    ———————————————————-
    Wow Bradshaw was way better than Dilfer. He was way better than Elway, for that matter, especially on the big stage.

Tomlin is well above average. Cower was a joke.

39. sewalters79 says:
    Dec 24, 2016 8:54 AM
    Steelers and Patriots are good for only 1 reason-They have a QB

————————————————————-
    Chargers, Colts, and Saints have QB’s. Not the only reason a team is great.

40. “As has been shown multiple times, his being on the field was inadvertent. If you watched the video (you never did, you just want to spread hate”) you can see he was looking up at the clock/scoreboard.”

Actually that’s the lie. It was clear to the entire football world Tomlin intentionally tripped that player. It was one of the most singularly cowardly acts I’ve ever seen in pro football.

I won’t argue that he is a good coach because he is. Nobody average 10 wins a season if they suck. But there’s no question he intentionally tripped the player.

And if you want to argue “he was looking at the scoreboard” the scoreboard was showing live video of the player coming right at him. There’s no question he blatantly cheated on the play.

41. Completely agree and have been saying this since day one.
    Tomlin is a fraud. That lame sideline incident showed his real hood character.

Poser of a coach. Pure Rooney rule hire.

42. I would take Tomlin ……he is a good coach, not great as yet.

Bradshaw also comes off as being bitter in some respects and I’m not sure sure why.

Regardless, there is only one great coach in Pittsburgh and that is Chuck Knoll.

The Steelers organization is outstanding and they give you the framework to succeed.

And this comes from a Bronco’s fan.

43. I don’t even think Tomlin is all that great as a motivator. Why do they keep losing to a less talented Baltimore team? I will give the devil his due, John Harbaugh gets everything possible out of his team.

But Mike Tomlin? Sometimes I wonder if his pep talks don’t consist of “just go out there and have some fun guys, you got this.” and game time decisions like “Oh you feel like throwing deep Ben? Sure why not? what’s the difference? throw deep as much as you want.”

44. “Steelers and Patriots are good for only 1 reason-They have a QB”

You don’t know very much about football I can see. Those teams are both “good” for far more reasons than just the QB situation.

SMH

45. Mike Tomlin is on a HOF track as a head coach, so I have no idea what Bradshaw is talking about. Being able to maintain excellence is very difficult in sports.

In terms of the fan above who compared Terry Bradshaw to Trent Dilfer, please do your research. Bradshaw was an outstanding postseason player(unlike Tony Romo and others), who often lifted the Steelers to victory when the running attack was stopped. Everyone knows Dilfer’s main job in 2000 was handing the ball off to Jamal Lewis. If you’re unsure why Bradshaw was a HOF lock, watch Super Bowls 10, 13, and 14.

46. Bradshaw,especially for a HOF QB,never got enough credit. Tomlin too might be under appreciated.

I guess you could say Mike Tomlin is the Terry Bradshaw of NFL coaches.

47. Wow…still being accused of riding the Cowher wave after a mere 9+ years in role. Certainly not a Steelers fan but his statement is just dumb.

I guess Hollywood Henderson had it right…”he couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the c & t”

48. Terry didn’t say he was a bad coach. In fact, he said he was a nice coach. Tomlin does have a first ballot HOF QB, so that should guarantee about 10 wins a season. Did anyone ever call George Seifert a great coach? He won two super bowls and had a much higher winning percentage than Bill Walsh. Most people thought he just took over Walsh’s team and kept it going. That’s exactly what Bradshaw said. I’m not saying I agree with Bradshaw. I don’t think the Steelers’ roster is as talented overall as Cowher’s teams were. I also think Seifert was a great coach and should be in the HOF.

49. Inherited an 8-8 team from Cowher and took it to the Super Bowl. How many Pro Bowls did Cowher coach? It had to be a record! That guy had had so many Super Bowl teams back then, only to get out coached in championship games – but he’s a great coach? Come on! He lost a Super Bowl to Barry Switzer!! Nuff said!!

50. “He’s a nice coach. To me, and I’ve said this, he’s really a great cheerleader guy. I don’t know what he does.”

This is exactly the point where Bradshaw should have stopped talking.

51. I agree with Bradshaw about Tomlin. I think Tomlin is over rated as a head coach.
    I think he is not alone. I think Mike McCarthy is another so-called top head coach that is over rated, too. McCarthy has been bailed out many times by Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.
    When you think of how good any head coach is, don’t look at their victories. Look at the games they’ve lost that they should have won.
    Great head coaches don’t lose games they shouldn’t lose.
    To me, the most over rated head coach of all time is the coach who has the most wins, Don Shula. Shula had one of the best QB’s who ever played in the NFL — Dan Marino — but only got to one Super Bowl with him in 17 years because he was too stubborn to get him the help he needed on offense.
    And don’t hand me that undefeated team he had, either. I give them credit for winning all the games they played that year, but anyone who saw that team that year knows they were far from one of the great teams of all time. Lombardi’s Packers, Noll’s Steelers, Walsh’s Niners, Johnson’s Cowboys, Parcell’s Giants, and Belichick’s Pat’s teams would have beaten them easily. They had a soft schedule all year including the playoffs and Super Bowl.
    Just look at Bob Griese’s stats from both of his Super Bowl wins. It’s hard to believe they even won. He was 8 for 11 for 88 yards with 1 TD and 1 int against the Redskins, and
    against the Vikings he was 6 for 7 for 73 yards with no TD’s. In the Super Bowl he lost against the Cowboys, he was 12 for 23 with 0 TD’s and 1 interception.
    Griese is the worst QB who ever started a Super Bowl game. Even Trent Dilfer was better than him.
    Shula’s Dolphins still hold the record for the loss by the biggest margin in AFC playoff history — 62 to 7. And it would have been 62 to 0 had Dan Marino not thrown a TD with 20 seconds left in the game.
    The point is, just because a head coach wins a lot of games, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a great coach.

52. Bradshaw says a lot of stupid things but his voice and words carry a lot of weight in Pittsburgh and Tomlin has underachieved with a 3 headed monster and not building a defense good enough to win multiple championships..

53. No need to be a great coach when from day one you have a franchise qb in place. He also took over a team that had just won the SB and left most of Cower’s assistants in place.

54. Get a clue Lemmy. Your post might not be the dumbest of the year but we’ve only got a week to go for someone to top it. No where did I say Brady and Manning would not have been great in that era. Different rules and the numbers would be different as well.

55. ‘Great’ is a word that gets tossed around too easily without being quantified. For instance looking just at the results it would be hard not say Tomlin is one of the greats of the last 10 years. Conversely the argument could be made that with the level of talent he was supplied with over that period he should have done more. The end result is Steelers fans have had a team that they have been able to realistically expect to contend for the conference title every year Tomlin has coached them. What difference does it make whether he accomplished that by being a ‘great’ cheerleader or a ‘great’ coach?

56. harrisonhits2 | Dec 24, 2016, 9:21 AM EST

u4iadman | Dec 24, 2016, 9:22 AM EST

I would love to see the facts supporting your entire football world which encompasses only the four New England states….one of your many unsupported posts.
    Also some people try to appear objective and carry it off, but you never do…if it ain’t all the Pat’s it sucks…..childish.

Tomlin didn’t do it intentionally….saw it with my own two eyes live.

57. Obviously a Ravens fan here, but I’ll just say this, all kidding aside:
    Pittsburgh has a top 5, probably top 3 future HOF QB. They have the very best WR in the game and the very best RB in the game.
    Yes Roethlisberger can throw for 400 and 5 TDs, but he can also throw for like 165 against Cleveland, and quite frankly not really show up any more for the big rivalry games against Baltimore.
    I think if Cowher or Bellichick or honestly even Harbaugh had that type of talent on the roster they would be running away with the division every year. That does not happen under Tomlin.
    And no, I do not think the Ravens are a better overall team, I think the Steelers have much more talent on the roster. But I do think the Ravens frequently overachieve with crappy talent while the Steelers seem to underachiever with superior talent. That is on Tomlin, IMO.

58. Kind of hard to inherit a good team & keep it going for 10 yrs. He may not be ‘great’, but he’s definitely one of the best of his era! Put some respect on that man’s name!

59. Cower was pretty overrated. Not a great coach but he maintained an image that distracted from his team’s underperformances. All those teams he had that were stacked on defense while having Bettis in the backfield and not much to show for it. There’s a good reason why he never was a coach again. He was the Jeff Fisher of that generation. Tomlin has a better record and gotten more done with less.

60. I always thought cowher, Andy Reid and Tony dungy were the three most overrated coaches of the 2000s. I think they are all in that “pretty good” category, but none are great or hall of fame worthy IMO.

If you’ve got a decent team, they can get you to 10-6, but I don’t think any of those coaches are innovative or can outscheme other coaches on a regular basis.

61. Mike Tomlin can field a team and motivate players but other than that, he’s a absolute fool. Coaches with his gut and seems to not be able to gain a strategic advanatage on any team in any game. He stubborn with his game plans and he is BY FAR the worst in game manager in maybe the history of sports. Going for 2 when up 4 last week in Cincy is a very strong example. Probably the worst call to go for 2 EVER. It made absolutely no sense and how he wasn’t chastised to the extreme after that is still mind blowing. If they lose that game in OT it was 100% his fault. Not to mention his 2pt calls in the Daalas game. The man is a mess during the game. He’s had great success and it’s hard for me to credit him for it rather than Ben, Brown, and Bell. Without Ben this is a 3-13 team. Take away Brady, Russ Wilson, and some of the other big name QBs and those teams can compete. Tomlin can’t. Once Ben is going it’s over.

Signed a Steeler Fan

62. realtruthteller100 says:
    Dec 24, 2016 6:20 AM

————-
    Beautiful! I just think sadly many here didn’t realize your sarcasm.

63. bullcharger says:

Blah blah. A guy that played in the 70s knows about as much about coaching the modern game as any other arm chair quarterback.
    ================================
    You must be a millenial. Belichick was a football player in the 70’s.

64. Bradshaw is spot on with this one. Couldn’t agree more. Tomlin definitely inherited Cowher’s team for his Super Bowl win. Then he went to a second Super Bowl with pretty much the same team and lost the game to the Packers because of poor coaching. The Steelers had that game in hand. They were running on the Packers and winning, then Bruce Arians and Tomlin got pass-happy for no apparent reason and threw it away. The team has changed since then, but what Tomlin has really inherited was a franchise quarterback. Cowher built one of the finest defenses in football but had to make do with the likes of Neil O’Donnell, Mike Tomzack and Kordell Stewart. It wasn’t until he got Big Ben that he finally won his well deserved Super Bowl. Tomlin won the lottery, that’s all.

65. Let’s all be honest the only great coach right now in the NFL is the guy in New England. He is head and shoulders above the rest.

66. I happen to agree with him, but I’d add that Bradshaw wasn’t a great QB, he was just on great teams. The fact that he is in the HOF is kind of a joke (like some other Steelers players we could mention).

67. So many people complain about decent coaches. If the fine people of Pittsburgh don’t want Mike Tomlin any longer, send him to San Diego.

We could really use the help.

68. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Dec 24, 2016 11:07 AM
    u4iadman | Dec 24, 2016, 9:22 AM EST

==================

69. just to step back into NFL history :
    rooney was all set to name russ grimm as head coach until the league office scolded him about him not following his own “rooney rule” therefore tomlin was chosen instead.
    and the rest , as they say , is history .

70. Still has never lost more than 8 games and has even managed to win that division on a few occasions the last few years as that defense is being completely rebuilt and the offense was rebuilt as everyone on that side of the ball was turned over from when he got there outside of Ben who also kind of misses big chunks of every season every year. I don’t know too many coaches who not only survive that, but manage to do that. Something tells me Steeler fans like Bradshaw don’t exactly know how well they have it because they like to complain. Btw, Bradshaw isn’t the person to make this critique since most people would agree he was just the right person in the right place to win those Super Bowls and nothing special himself. I mean he does actually think he’s better than Roethlisberger, which is kind of laughable.

71. Half right is better than none right. @4i posts a lot of unsupported drivel but is not a Pats fan, he trolls them even more often than you do. Speaking of unsupported, if you are going to comment on what someone ‘never’ does it might pay to know what they always do. Ice up son, better luck next time.

1 0

Ah a troll rushing to defend a fellow troll….
    How admirable. You and Harrison sucks too and Tylaw picks his nose are prolific posters of meaningless drivel. Time to get your Pom poems ready the Cheaties will be playing soon so run along kiddies.

72. I don’t care much either way but to me if you’re going to make a statement like that and basically insult this guy publicly, then give us some detailed analysis on why you feel he isn’t a good coach. He has about the same winning percentage and positive results as the coach before him who you feel is a good coach. So, how do you come to this conclusion? And please don’t give me the overly simplistic “he just kept going with the what Cowher left” Seriously? For a decade? Wow. If you can’t give any insight as to why one guy is a bad coach with the same success as a guy you say is a good coach then we can probably assume there’s something else that’s made it personal for you, Terry. Maybe Tomlin isn’t enough of a good ol’ boy, Terry?

73. People throw the words “great” and “hero” around way too much. Tomlin is a good coach, my only issue with him is that the Steelers seem to lose too many games to teams that they should beat. So, that reflects on the coach… it is part of his job to get the team prepared to play. Go back to Belichek in Cleveland .. 1 winning season in 5. Was he a bad coach? Or, was he a good coach, with bad players? Most probably the latter.

To the steroid yappers..you do realize that steroid use was widespread in that era? Amazing how all the teams didn’t go undefeated back then since steroids equal wins.

74. Tomlin WILL be a great coach in my opinion. He is young and has all the markings so far as a future HOF coach. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is wins and championships he has those.

75. Whether he’s good or great, I think there are only four or five coaches one could comfortable call better than him in the NFL right now. That might speak more to the overall quality of the league right now, which feels like it’s at a decade low, but still, other than Patriots fans, there are too many fan bases that would likely turn down Tomlin.

76. Never thought I’d say this, but Bradshaw is showing intelligence on this . . . must be too many head hits leading to early onset clarity.

Tomlin has been riding the Cower train all along, and it’s showing.

77. Did he inherit Le’Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, or a top 5 O-line? The only player on offense that is still from Cowher’s era is Big Ben. The only player on Defense that is still from Cowher’s era? James Harrison.

Everything else has been built by Tomlin. Is he the best coach in the league? Hell no. He’s no Belichick. Would I call him a top 10? Very much so. You have to give credit where it’s do. Never had a losing season. Over 100 wins. Don’t call him a cheerleader. He didn’t become a head coach for dancing around and doing cartwheels, that’s for sure.

78. nyneal says:
    Dec 24, 2016 10:11 AM
    Great head coaches don’t lose games they shouldn’t lose.

——————————————————————

Merry Christmas! To go even further off the Tomlin tangent, a few points. JJ was coaching the Fins when they
    got dish ragged by the Jags (though Shula’s Colts getting shut out by the 64 Browns 27-0 constituted one of 5 title game losses for the Donster). Griese didn’t have to throw
    the ball because they ran it reallllllly goooood (two 1,000 yard rushers, Hello?). Marino? Good personnel staff had left to build other teams where they got more of the credit. Prior to the 72 season, 6 games were scheduled against Super Bowl teams from the previous 3 years. It’s not the Fins fault those teams really stunk that year. And I defy you to name one of those super teams (Lombardi’s Packers, Noll’s Steelers, Garrison’s Guerrillas, Napoleon’s Grenadiers, etc.) to win 75% of their games with the backup quarterback (Earl Morrall, RIP!) During that stretch the Dolphins went to the Super Bowl 3 years in a row (don’t bring up the Bills, they lost!) with a 2 year record of 32-2. In fact, with a Republican in the White House, it’s time for the Dolphins to be “super” again!(Although D. Trump may not be a “republican” in the strictest sense of the word!) Now that I’ve got that off my chest, I’ll get my medication; it’s around here somewhere……………Mike Tomlin! Pretty good coach. Happy Holidays!

79. steelcurtainn says:
    Dec 24, 2016 10:49 AM
    Anyway you look at it this guy shouldnt have a bac of .217 and signed by a team the next week. Belicheat is trash.
    _________________________________________
    Hey Steeler fans, this guy posts trash on every Patriots story. Steeler fans usually have more class than this guy. I thought I’d return him to you and maybe you could teach him how to conduct himself with a little class.

PS: Good luck today against the Ravens and Merry Christmas!

80. Stealer nation is in for a huge dose of reality in the coming weeks. February will be especially tough for them. Watching the Patriots hoist the Lombardi will do that to ya.

81. And here’s a fun fact about those Dr.Rydze comments as well. I’m not denying him. He was fact and real. But sonce he left the team in 07, it repeat 07. The steelers have 92-51 record. Have appeared in two Super Bowls and won one. So thank you all for pointing out that we just needed a new Doctor.

82. Here’s a fun NFL fact.

Back in 2006 the NFL sent out a memo stating where you can and cannot film defensive signals. True. That year also, in the offseason, the NFL wanted to implement a rule that would allow one defensive player a helmet with a radio. Two teams didn’t vote for that rule to be allowed…. One being the Patriots.

2007. The NFL is woken up to Spygate scandal.

2008. The NFL proposed that helmet radio rule.. The Patriots finally vote yes.

Let that rest of the conscience of people.

83. All you know-nothings claiming Bradshaw was just average show your ignorance in the most embarrassing way possible. Once the Steeler Curtain defense became less dominant with time, Bradshaw became league MVP for a reason. He had one of the all-time cannons for an arm, and once he learned the game there was no stopping him. All you have to do is watch the highlights and see how sweet those passes were. Duh.

What Bradshaw should have said is that Tomlin is overrated relative to the worship he gets from the TV talking heads. That doesn’t mean he stinks. He’s good in many ways, just not great.

Oh and btw, you IDIOTS claiming he “tripped” some player need to watch that play again. There was never anything close to contact with Jones.

Now Belichick tackling Marvin Harrison on the sidelines, THAT was contact…

84. Didn’t Bill Cowher lose 5 home playoff games? I think at least 3 were AFC Title games.

Tomlin is better than Cowher. Bradshaw, tsk tsk tsk

85. So Bill B is the man maybe greatest ever (maybe)

After him who do have /Sean Peyton or Mike McCarthy or maybe Andi Reid brilliant coaches supposedly.
    Sean Peyton 604 winning percentage 1 Super Bowl and Drew Brees has missed 4 or 5games in that span.
    Mike McCarthy 649 winning percentage 1 Super Bowl Rodgers has missed 8 games in that time.
    Mike Tomlin 642 winning percentage 2 SuperBowls Ben has missed over 20 of those games.
    Andi Reid 601 winning percentage no SuperBowls (career) 677 winning percentage with Kansas City only 4 years