Jordy Nelson has fractured ribs

Getty Images

The Packers have said nothing about the status of wide receiver Jordy Nelson other than that he spent the night in the hospital with a rib injury. Now we know that the injury is to ribs, plural, and they’re broken.

Nelson suffered at least two fractured ribs, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The report suggests that Nelson hasn’t been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Cowboys but is a long shot to play.

Giants cornerback Leon Hall broke Nelson’s ribs when he lowered the crown of his helmet into Nelson’s body while Nelson was reaching up to try to catch a pass. Although Hall wasn’t flagged, he’s likely to be fined by the NFL.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was outstanding after Nelson left Sunday’s game against the Giants, but losing Nelson would still be a major blow for the Packers against the Cowboys. Nelson led the team with 97 catches for 1,257 yards and 14 touchdowns during the regular season.

132 responses to “Jordy Nelson has fractured ribs

1. Hurts like a son of a gun. Makes it hard to breath… Big Ben had it happen to him once and almost missed a play. He doesn’t talk about it cuz he likes to avoid drama.

2. I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’m not sure what you expect the CB to do in this situation.

If Jordy catches it, it’s a great defensive play. Not his fault Jordy dropped the pass.

3. Hey @NFL @RogerGoodell Whoever is teaching these players to lead with the crown of their helmets needs to be disciplined. Effects both players health.
    Maybe need to get rid of helmets alltogether and learn to tackle like Rugby players.

4. Fined for leading with the crown of his helmet. FedEx will arrive at team headquarters in the morning with some thin mail for him.

5. that was an especially painful looking hit – – and you could see it in his immediate reaction. it’s a rough game . .

6. A blow for the Packers, but Rodgers showed he can put up points with the other guys, too, and against an elite defense. Keep rolling, Pack.

7. samgeyser7 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 6:48 PM
    Fined for what?

—————

Hitting a defenseless receiver with the crown of your helmet. Against the rules!

8. “Fined for what?”

Led with the crown of his helmet and speared him. That’s been illegal a long time, long before Goodell and company started softening the game.

9. Poor guy just can’t catch a break!
    Oh wait. I mean…
    Um….
    I see the exit is over here and I’ll let myself out, thank you.

10. If Nelson plays any time in the next couple weeks he’ll prove his toughness. Like many people I’ve had broken ribs and even with painkillers and a shot to the area to numb it any hit will be very painful.

Even if they make the Super Bowl he’d have to be a long shot to play even a month from now.

11. Report comment
    fredsingleton says:
    Jan 9, 2017 6:51 PM

————–

I would say the league expects the CB not to drive his helmet into receivers ribs when he is in a defenseless position trying to catch the ball.

12. Not meaning he will be missed but it looks like we can keep on turning the table without him.
    Really cool to have a dude named Geronimo to step in and step up.

13. The Packers have Nelson, Cobb and Adams, all 2nd round picks. The Vikings have 2 first round picks, Patterson and Treadwell. How does Ted do it?

14. well GB made adjustments at halftime to neutralize loss of nelson and be very effective offensively. against a very good NYG defense. guys like cobb and carr really picked up the slack.

i think having many days to prepare for nelson’s absence, against a dall defense that isn’t as good as NY’s, is not a major issue.

plus rodgers is in a zone all his own right now. might not matter who the receivers are.

15. Definitely a cheap shot. Definitely a fine coming. The ball. was being dropped in any case but he had to finish his tackle to make sure, but he stuck the crown of his helmet into Jordy’s ribs. I think that it is a $15,000 fine. There should have been a flag on the play and I fail to see how the line judge didnt see it. But then again the NFL doesnt want to ensure that the game is called correctly or they would have an official in the booth connected to the referee. Just look at Seattle’s first TD when the receiver had a fist full of facemask.

16. The ONLY play I’ve ever seen where Jordy did not immediately have kittens in front of the referee complaining about pass interference. It took multiple broken ribs to witness the feat. Tough break for the Pack though.

17. I hate the Packers but don’t ever like seeing players get hurt. Brady has had to step it up without Gronk, and now Rodgers has his work cut out for him in Dallas next week.

18. That looked really painful, more so on a freezing day and rock hard field.

I would guess a hit like that would have your head on a swivel for the rest of your career.

19. Remember when Luck had broken ribs, yet the injury never made it onto the injury report? Remember the big fine the Colts had to pay? Oops, no fine to remember, so much for the integrity of the game.
    Fire Goodell.

20. If it’s a crack (plus extremely painful bruising of course) he could just possibly be back for the NFCCG (with added protection) for limited play. BUT i doubt they could have determined such a minor fracture (as opposed to a bruise) on the sideline – and judging by his reaction after they spoke to him suggests they quickly determined it was a broken rib or two. Can’t see him back until next year. Dirty helmet-first hit.

21. Meh. The ball sailed a bit and JN bobbled it. A better pass and a clean catch would have provided ample time to defend himself against the blow. A defender can’t be asked to wait in that instance before hitting the receiver. Hall may get fined but his hit was delivered well after (in a relative sense of course) the ball arrived. Hit the option above the “co” in Report comment Pack fans.

22. Bad break for the Pack fans. I think they would of had more of an excellent shot against Dallas if Jordy was playing.

They still have a good shot the way Rogers looked. The way he moved around in the pocket is rare and was extremely impressive.

23. Once again the refs prove they don’t know what spearing is and won’t call it even if it happens right in front of their faces. Basic rules of football, refs, learn ’em!

24. There’s also the issue of displaced v non-displaced fractures.

He would not have gone to hospital overnight for a rib fracture.

Could also be lung and spleen issues …

Trevor Davis is up next.

25. It is not only a travesty for Nelson, the game and the fans also suffer when the best players are not in the game.

Said it before, it was a dirty, cheap shot to spear his ribs. He was defenseless. It was like the crap we’ve seen Suh and Ward do.

26. I guess the packer fans whining about the hit have forgotten the spearing that Mathews inflicted on Brian Hoyer a few months back. Broke his arm and knocked him out for the year. No flag or penalty on that hit either. Missed calls even out, remember? #karma

27. I played college football and and fractured one rib when I got a cleat in the side. No chance he plays Sunday. Not with NFL backs aiming at him.

28. I’m not doubting Hall gets fined because the NFL is ridiculous, but there was nothing wrong with that hit.

29. Nelson bobbled the catch and got clobbered. Can’t blame Hall. Rules say he can’t go high so where, exactly, was he supposed to hit Nelson?

30. Cowboys beat them with Jordy and Lacey in Green Bay already… makes no difference.
    ____________________________
    The Packers were never going to beat Dallas anyways.

____________________________

The weird thing about this season is that the Cowboys beat the Packer when they were on their losing skid… The Giants beat the Cowboys twice…. The Packers beat the Giants twice… Keep thinking the Packers have no chance of winning this weekend. Keep thinking this….

31. Nelson bobbled the catch and got clobbered. Can’t blame Hall. Rules say he can’t go high so where, exactly, was he supposed to hit Nelson?

_____________________________

Anywhere below the shoulders…. with his shoulder!
    Once you lead with the crown of your helmet… you are illegal, and light in the wallet a week later.

32. fordbw says:
    Jan 9, 2017 8:31 PM

————–

He’s not supposed to hit him anywhere with the crown of his helmet. That’s the whole point. The hit was dirty,whether Jordy Nelson bobbled the ball or not. I don’t know how anyone can defend what Hall did. I hope he gets more than a stupid fine.

33. Belichick would have approved of that hit. Nothing illegal about it. It sets the tone.

34. But the spearing of Hoyer ending his season by the Packers wasn’t cheap according to their fans.

35. lightninhopkins says:
    Jan 9, 2017 8:10 PM

The Packers were never going to beat Dallas anyways.

—————–

I wouldn’t be so sure about that….

36. As I’ve said before… it’s the delusional Cowboys fans’ world and in their minds, the rest of us are just living in it.

37. @ Samgeyser7 says:

“Fined for what?” Fined for leading with the crown of his helmet, which is against the rules. It is a lot more clear-cut than what constitutes a catch, that is for sure. Hall will be fined, and he should be if you follow the rules.

The Giants choked badly. The Cowboys will be a lot tougher opponent, and will give Rodgers and the Packers all they can handle. I would rather GB play with Nelson, just so both teams are playing closer to full strength. With that said, both teams have injuries, and you play with who you have – no excuses.

38. But the spearing of Hoyer ending his season by the Packers wasn’t cheap according to their fans.

This seems to be your entire thought process, every single Packer article…. you comment about this play, a play clearly where Hoyer turned and ducked as Mathews hit him. Are you related to Hoyer??? you have a weird fascination with him and his health…

39. The hit looked a lot like the one clay matthews was fined for when he…ummm….led with the crown of his helmet and broke Brian hoyers arm.

Oooohhh….I’m sorry…did I just make this awkward for packer fans complaining about a cheap shot?

40. “Belichick would have approved of that hit. ”

Uh, no. Bill does not approve of spearing or anything else that draws a penalty and your juvenile attempt to make him look bad is nothing more than that.

How your Jets doing by the way, what game are the playing in this weekend?

41. “You can’t go high” Really? You can only not aim for the top 10% of someone else’s body. That leaves 90% open for contact. You can’t lead with your head, which is only 10% of your body. You’re telling me there’s no way to avoid a helmet collision when 90% of both bodies are fully available for contact? I’m sorry but that is complete and utter B.S. Nelson wasn’t even moving so don’t give me the “Oh it was incidental” routine. Ridiculous play.

42. skyflyer63 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 8:39 PM
    ____________________________
    The Packers were never going to beat Dallas anyways.

____________________________

——————————————

Correction

Packers were 3-1 when Dallas beat them in GB.

43. As a lifelong Packer fan, I’m not overly upset by the hit. It’s football. If Jordy twists a little differently, the shoulder hits him in the ribs.

For the overconfident Dallas fans, Dak & Zeke have been amazing. In the regular season. We’ll see how the rooks do in their first playoff game. Rodgers is laser focused right now.

44. ……and all the purples will predict “Two and Done,” since their last prediction went sour.

Lets hear it Ponytails: You going to root for the team that completely robbed you in the mid 90’s to create a dynasty? Or the NFC North Champions?

45. Cheap shot. Bounty gate kind of play. We all know that still goes on. Potentially knock out an impact player at the risk of 15 yards and a few dollars (by their standards). Some teams will do that any day. Just a dirty play. That should fall into the targeting category. Packers move on, cheap shot Giants can go back to their party boat.

46. Packers fans just scared of a 1 and done.

__________________________–

Huh… is this the new common core math???? or is the doob in doobman showing???

47. Why don’t all you complainers start writing emails to the commissioners office.. instead of burning our eyeballs with these stupid nonsense comments, maybe something will happen if you whimper to them

48. Aaron Rodgers is a GREAT QB. Won that Giant game with his awesome play and….
    The Packers are an A-Rod injury away from being the Browns.

49. Anyone on this site that is saying it’s a dirty hit is a moron. Watch it back and tell me how it was dirty or cheap? Borderline illegal, maybe. Dirty, not even close. The hit on Matt Moore was dirty compared to this.

50. Really amazing me when I read all the trash on this site. Calling Nelson soft, a baby, making excuses. I GUARANTEE, everyone of you idiots would take off from your loser job for months if you had fracture ribs. And then you would find a lawyer to try and sue and make a cheap buck. Have you heard Jordy complain or make any excuses? I think not!
    I suggest all you loser fans shut your pie hole and go back to your pathetic lives and leave this site for real educated football fans!!

51. jboody79 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 10:43 PM

—————————————-
    Obviously you didn’t see the play. When the Commissioner sends a letter along with a bill you’ll understand!

52. “I guess the packer fans whining about the hit have forgotten the spearing that Mathews inflicted on Brian Hoyer a few months back. Broke his arm and knocked him out for the year. No flag or penalty on that hit either. Missed calls even out, remember?”

is that you, Brian Hoyer? lmao. if it was karma, it wouldve been exacted on our 3rd string qb. lol. only Brian Hoyer would bring up Brian Hoyer. 😂

53. packmangamble says:
    Jan 9, 2017 10:56 PM
    jboody79 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 10:43 PM

—————————————-

———————————————————————
    I did see, I saw it live and watched it back. If it was a dirty hit Joe Buck would have been raising all heck because he’s all for the Packers! Just because someone might get fined doesn’t mean it’s dirty. The NFL is a pansy league now so yeah, he probably get fined. A hit like this 10 years ago or before wouldn’t have raised an eyebrow.

54. The fine during the playoff is a ham sandwich. The fine might say 15,000 but it can’t be more than 25% of the week salary.

No pay during playoff so 25% of $23,00 that losers of the Wild-card round get paid so $5,750.

55. Funny thing is,the Giants just helped their hated division rival Cowboys by taking out Nelson.As for the Dallas fans tooten their own horn,i say let them toot all they want.The Cowboys have been trash for the last 20 years and they finally have a chance to shine for 1 week.

56. It’s a shame this happened since he seems to have finally recovered from his knee injury. Playing with busted ribs (hell even just sitting in a chair with busted rib), besides being incredibly painful, is equally dangerous — you don’t mess with possible punctured lungs.

57. Can’t complain its football. Not as obvious as the holding Xavier Rhodes does on every play all year.. Xavier Rhodes bar none most overrated cb in football always cheats

58. But turd nation said he would play? Am I missing something turd town? He might be soft but he misses an easy catch but seriously should fecal nation turn their head on the dropping diva?

59. The pack wasn’t going anywhere anyway…….Just a win given to them to make ratings. Without Jordy Rogers is like mark Sanchez. Packers fans are dreaming to think Rogers can hail Mary them to win a Superbowl. Your team is so far away from winning it all it’s not worth discussing. The pack is whack!

60. Tough loss for Green Bay. Nelson was playing well and becoming the go-to guy. But, as they say, next man up. I doubt that Rodgers will have difficulty finding another receiver when the game is on the line.
    My earliest memory of football was watching the Ice Bowl at my grandmother’s house. (She was the greatest Cowboys fan ever.) A small child, I didn’t have any concept of what was going on, some guys moving in slow motion in a blizzard on a black-and-white TV. Then my grandmother started crying, and I ran up and asked what was wrong. “The Green Bay Packers beat the Dallas Cowboys!”
    My second earliest memory of football was watching the Cowboys first Monday Night Football game. My grandmother went all out for that–banners, flags, a feast you wouldn’t believe (forget tailgating, this was grandmothering). It was a 38-0 blowout loss to the Cardinals, and she’s crying on the couch. I asked myself, “Is this what it means to be a Cowboys fan?”
    Uh, yeah, turns out that it is. I’ve seen it all, the horrendous losses and the great victories. I remember the Blunder Bowl and the Super Bowl. What I’ve learned over 50 years is this: the Dallas Cowboys will lift your spirit and break your heart at the same time on any game day, every season.
    So it’s come to this, Green Bay at Dallas for the divisional round. Has it all come full circle?
    I’d like to say that I believe the Cowboys will win, but I can’t. The Packers are a very dangerous team. Snap of the ball, anything can happen.
    I wouldn’t put it past the Packers to beat the Cowboys. I hope they don’t of course, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they did.

61. tripledipper says:
    Jan 9, 2017 6:59 PM
    How some of the paper tigers here don’t realize that leading with the crown of your helmet is a cheap shot is beyond me.

Just like hit Clay Mathews put on Hoyer and broke his arm which saved the Paksers season because they were about to lose to the Bears

62. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    Jan 9, 2017 8:02 PM
    GREAT great football hit ! Old school

Yeah, great. That’s why so many “old school” guys walk like 80 year old disabled guys.

Sad that so many think these guys are disposable. There’s a reason helmet lead hits are illegal.

63. jboody79 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 11:02 PM
    packmangamble says:
    Jan 9, 2017 10:56 PM
    jboody79 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 10:43 PM

—————————————-

———————————————————————

————————————————————-

It aint rocket science. You cannot lead with the crown of your helmet into a defenseless receiver. While some fans still long for the days of spearing the back of receivers in the air and seeing guys have their bell rung so that they are feebleminded at age 33, thats not football anymore.

64. Nelson wasn’t even moving so don’t give me the “Oh it was incidental” routine. Ridiculous play
    —————————————————————————–

Nelson was in mid-air bobbling the pass that was tipped back to him by the CB. He had both eyes on the ball and did not see the safety coming. True, Hall will probably be fined, but the hit happened on the front of Nelsons body and there was another player in that same space. There is no way a ref could have seen a split second hit and judged it dirty. They can’t even see it when it’s right in front of them in plain view, just ask Lions fans.

65. The Cowboys and Packers game should be a good one! AR is hot right now. Thank the Lord, the game is not at Lambeau!! Maybe, the refs will know what is or isn’t a catch?
    On another note, I’m beginning to feel for the Lions, and their claims about the refs. I don’t think they would have won the game, as they could not stop the run; however, the refs did them NO favors the entire game 😦 Just my opinion…….

66. margoadams says:
    Jan 9, 2017 6:54 PM
    _____________________________________

That’s the rub, you see…. We were never taught how to tackle in football. We were taught how to HIT. We were taught how to collide with a player and keep moving our feet – envision they are actually 2 yards behind where you make initial contact. We were taught to explode through someone. We were taught how to plant your facemask into an opponent.

We were never taught how to grab and hold on with our head behind a person. The thing is, Rugby is a tackling game so you are taught how to tackle, football is a collision sport, so you are taught how to collide.

Everything about football is changing. My two cents is make the helmets better, make the guys cut their hair so the helmets actually fit and ensure everyone wears a mouth-guard to protect against concussions.

Like you said above, the ONLY way you can stop players using their helmets to hit is to remove helmets.

67. fredsingleton says:
    Jan 9, 2017 6:51 PM

—————————————————————-

The Defenisve back could learn how to tackle instead of flying into someone head first. Take a look at the play again. Hall probably had a numbskull after that bonehead hit

68. If it were a college game, the refs have the option of reviewing the play with their video booth and the punishment is much more severe, injection from the game.

So Hall gets a fine later in the week and his file will include this hit in the event he should continue to spear players with his helmet. The Packers got the last laugh, go back and watch the second half, that’s Hall out there running around like a chicken with his head cut off as the Packers took a 25 point lead.

69. “My two cents is make the helmets better, make the guys cut their hair so the helmets actually fit and ensure everyone wears a mouth-guard to protect against concussions.”

——————————————

Doesn’t matter how good they make the helmets. Concussions come from the brain slamming into the skull from the INSIDE. No amount or type of padding on the outside will change that, only players that don’t launch themselves head first full speed into another human being. The helmets are nothing but a false sense of security.

70. xavier179 says:
    Jan 9, 2017 8:49 PM
    I am not a medical person, but he is out for weeks.
    —————————————————————-

I AM a medical person, and he is out for weeks!

71. Leading with the helmet—in addition to many possible injuries to both players—is a shortcut around technique. It’s probably the closest thing there is to using a weapon to help make a hard hit. Fans love it and think it’s hard nosed play, but it’s so much easier than making a real tackle and is basically, in the competitive sense, cheating. Plus it causes injuries like this one, or worse.

72. Doesn’t matter how good they make the helmets. Concussions come from the brain slamming into the skull from the INSIDE.

…and that’s a function of the (negative) acceleration rate. Padding reduces that and makes concussions less likely.

Consider what air bags do in cars. By spreading the deceleration over a larger distance, they reduce the jolt.

73. Wow a bad hit yes
    Dirty ahh maybe did Nelson move and that is why he got the helmet instead of the shoulder?

74. Jordy is a china doll, if he doesn’t get injured then there would be no fine…NFL retroactively applies the discipline as it goes along

#FireGoodell

75. spotsdad says:
    Jan 9, 2017 6:48 PM
    —————————————————————-

Now that was a funny comment. Thanks for the laugh, spotsdad!

76. bigbluefan1 says:
    Jan 10, 2017 11:20 AM

Wow a bad hit yes

Did nelson move? lol What difference would that make? Ever played football buddy? No one is ever taught to drop head and spear someone..

77. “What I’ve learned over 50 years is this: the Dallas Cowboys will lift your spirit and break your heart at the same time on any game day, every season.”

It could be worse. This sounds like a Viking fan comment, except it’s 57 seasons and the “lift your spirit” part does not apply.

78. Tough loss of a great WR, much respect for Nelson.
    I’m a Cowboys fan, and Jordy Nelson is one of my favorite WR’s in fantasy, guy has came though for me so many times.
    Get well soon!