Clemson’s Deshaun Watson: It’s my time to go to the NFL

Getty Images

For the second consecutive year, Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson passed for more than 400 yards against an Alabama defense full of NFL talent last night. But this time, Watson’s Tigers beat the Crimson Tide for the national championship.

In losing last year’s national championship game 45-40, Watson established himself as a potential first overall pick in the NFL draft. And in winning this year’s game 35-31, Watson put an exclamation point on his college career.

Although Watson has a year of NCAA eligibility remaining, he said after beating Alabama that he thinks he’s ready for the next level.

“I think it’s my time to go, just kind of end it with a bang,” Watson said after the game.

Now the question is where Watson will go in this year’s draft. Some see him as a first overall pick to the Browns, and if not there then possibly second overall to the 49ers or third overall to the Bears. Others think that in Clemson’s offense he hasn’t developed into the kind of pocket passer NFL teams want. Not everyone thinks he’s a first-round pick, let alone a first overall pick.

But Watson thinks he’s ready. After a great college career that saw him play two outstanding national championship games, his next game will be in the NFL.

77 responses to “Clemson’s Deshaun Watson: It’s my time to go to the NFL

1. .
    It’s always difficult to gauge these outlier prospects with a different skill set than the prototype 6’3″ 230 lb pocket passer. Any GM who drafts him is putting his job on the line if his college game does not translate well into the NFL.

2. Wow here we go again. This guy doesn’t even look like a pro prospect to me, yet I’m quite certain the Buffalo Bills are licking their chops. I want to see the kid succeed and I hope he proves me wrong.

3. Browns need to build up the O-line before they even think about using a high pick on a QB. Strength in the trenches still applies to today’s NFL. With Jo-Tom getting older, Bitonio coming off season ending injury, Cam not working out at center and still relatively unknown quantities in Drango, Shon Coleman et al, Cleveland needs immediate line improvements and depth. They will not be able to accomplish this with the draft as this looks to be a weak crop of O-linemen, but there are some intriguing names in free agency. I hope the “think-tank” realizes this as well and honestly I don’t think this is the year to take a QB period. Get the line sorted out then get your QB should be the mantra for the Browns this off-season.

4. This kid is really impressive with his poise and might be a Sunday star. But if I had one pick for an NFL roster from that epic game it would be Reuben Foster. Foster is a monster. Has Ray Lewis potential, maybe more.

5. Determining who or what makes up an NFL QB is very difficult. Many college “can’t miss” types —I think that phrase was used about Blake Bortles (jury is still out but mixed so far) just don’t pan out. Look around the NFL, many first rounders (Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, Rothlisburger), but also many 2nd and later (Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Dak, Romo, and of course Brady)….many dumpster fires (Jets, Bills, Browns, Bears, 49ers)

Good luck to Watson and congrats on a great college career

6. We go through it every year with this type of QB. Reality check, the NFL is a totally different animal and to me this kid isn’t worth the risk of a #1 overall pick. Second round, yes.

7. Clemson may have won (albeit on an illegal pick play) but Watson “won” a career rotting on the Browns.

8. I have no idea what kind of pro he will be. I am inclined to think he’s a system QB, but I admit I don’t follow CFB enough to have an informed opinion about.

Here is something I do feel I have enough info to have an informed opinion about: If the refs in that game were half-way competent, he would have lost again. The game winning TD was scored on a blatant pick play. It should have been offensive PI, and with the clock runoff for offensive penalties, the game would have been over.

9. stainlineho says:
    Jan 10, 2017 6:32 AM
    Pull an Eli
    _______________

You mean an Elway. ‘Credit’ where it’s due, before Eli there was Elway refusing to play for the team that drafted him

10. A year ago he we might fall to the third round but Dak Prescott might’ve made this kid a lot of money.

11. Dak Prescott didn’t take a snap under center in his college career. That didn’t stop him from becoming the QB he is now.

12. drfeelyouup says:
    Jan 10, 2017 6:43 AM

He’s a sober Johnny Manziel. He’s still small and has poopy arm strength. Don’t do it Brown’s.
    ———————————————————-
    STOP with that foolishness!

13. Am I the only one that thinks pro sports teams should require a bachelors degree with all that money and responsibility that comes with being a player?? I feel like here has been some wasted talent due to maturity. And watching these guys blow their money bc they are actually dumb from the free ride they were given in school knowing they dont actually have to graduate. This guy is a beats tho no doubt. So was Vince Young, So was Vince Young. Imagine if Vince “EARNED” a bachelors degree before football and had to grow up. He would have lasted longer guaranteed.

14. He’s not going to be exactly the next Dak Prescott, but if he gets to the right situation he could be good. Early in the draft, Buffalo would be good spot for him.

15. The second coming of Vince Young.
    ———————————
    That’s an ignorant thing to say. They are similarly talented but VY was a headcase who lacked work ethic & maturity. This kid has both in spades. He was clutch in that game last night. I think he can play but coming from that system could mean it takes some time for him to adjust. But they said the same things about Mariota. That’s turned out well.

16. Posters on PFT always says everyone is going to be a bust no matter who they are and how good they play. Currently almost ALL college QBs play in the spread so they will all have to learn to play under center. I am sure he will be fine.

17. I don’t want the Bears to take a QB in the 1st round but if they did I would much rather it be Trubisky.

If they take a QB with their 2nd pick instead then Pat Mahomes looks like a better option than Watson.
    Not a knock on Watson….. it just looks like Mahomes will be the better NFL player.

18. I see a qb who can only make one read and stares down his receivers, out of the league in 4 years

19. I am inclined to think he’s a system QB,
    ———-
    Every QB, every single one of them plays in a system.
    Lets flip it around. You tell me what QB is not a system QB?

Is there such an offense that doesn’t have any plays or formations? Everyone just randomly runs around like mad men at the snap?

20. He’s not small either. Listed at 6’3″ 218 lbs.

That’s tiny for an NFL QB. Not so much the 6’3″ but VERY the 218. That’s more like a WR weight then a QB. Probably be the lightest QB in the NFL.

21. mazenblue says:
    Jan 10, 2017 8:17 AM

__________________________________

Umm, Watson graduated in December. He Graduated High School early too and basically finished a 4 year degree in less than 3 years. People need to stop comparing him to Vince Young. Vince Young would still be playing if he weren’t immature, stupid and unable to stay in shape. Watson has already proven he’s a lot of things VY will never be.

22. its JAN 10th 2017
    u heard and or read it here 1st
    my Browns Are trading the pick “1st overall” too move down and get a 1st 2nd and 3rd for 2018 or even more picks depending on the suckers lol

23. No one thought Dak was a pocket passer. It’s a roll of the dice, sometimes you get lucky.

———————————————-

Is not luck, is hard work, discipline, coaching, system, and many other factor that are more relevant than luck. Dak is good but he has greatly benefited playing behind an amazing OL and a good RB that takes pressure out of him. Hopefully Watson will succeed in the NFL. He seems like a good guy.

24. I love these comments bashing this young man’s talents. 3 years ago, most of these same idiots were singing the praises of Johnny Football, remember? Fact of the matter is, this kid did it when it mattered most, not once, but twice. Hate all you want to, but even Tom Brady was 6th round pick.
    Playing very successfully at Clemson and people don’t know if he can play at the next level? He could certainly hold a Surface Pro for the next 10 years at the least.
    The league has rejected many “proto-typical” college QBs. What is proto-typical anyway…

25. @ cafetero1075 says:
    Jan 10, 2017 9:37 AM

I don’t watch much college ball but he didn’t seem like he had the tools to be a NFL QB. Maybe ends up like Pryor of the Browns.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You’re opinion is disqualified…you don’t watch much college football but yet you tell he “doesn’t have the tools”? What tools are you talking about? The fact he isn’t 6’4″, white and stands in the pocket so he can be killed? He made throws from everywhere.
    All he did was complete passes, move his team down the field, overcome a 10 point deficit, put up 21 points in the 4th qtr of the championship game, spread the ball around to multiple receivers, ran when necessary…but he doesn’t have the tools…GTFOH
    He plays at that level in the title game 2 years in a row…but kids like Goff and Wentz are can’t miss?

26. @ says:
    Jan 10, 2017 9:22 AM

He’s not small either. Listed at 6’3″ 218 lbs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It’s not like he will be 218 lbs for the rest of his life. Stop with the nonsense.

27. mazenblue says:
    Jan 10, 2017 8:17 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes, you are the only one! Since when does a college degree guarantee maturity? With your requirement, professional sports would cease to exist.

28. @ dabears62 says:
    Jan 10, 2017 6:43 AM

As a Bears fan, I do not want him, I agree he is not a pocket passer. Rather have Trabinski.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Who is Trabinski? Obviously you’d rather have another 3 -13 season at best!

29. Talent or not, I hate to see these kids turn their backs on their scholarships and educations to chase uncertain money.
    5 years from now he could be a manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha…

30. Jan 10, 2017 9:41 AM
    How did this kid NOT win the Heisman?
    —————
    So did Manziel, Tebow, RG ME, Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Ron Dayne (Dane)?, Torretta…

Heisman doesn’t mean anything. Don’t forget that most college football players are nowhere near NFL talent. Even Bama. It’s like a pitcher tearing up AA baseball. Big deal.

31. lukedunphysscienceproject says:
    Jan 10, 2017 7:40 AM

__________________

Well obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about to have a informed opinion on that either. Because one the Bama defender made first contact with the Clemson receiver which wouldn’t make it a pick play, second even if that refs called it a dumb pick play Clemson had a timeout which would stop it from being a running clock to end the game

32. He’s not small either. Listed at 6’3″ 218 lbs.
    ——————
    College teams notoriously overinflate measurables, especially of star players. Once the combine numbers come out he will be more like 6’1 205.

33. First the guy is smart, graduated in three years so he is not dropping out, he has his degree in hand.
    Second he is mobile dual threat. If they can nurture and work with him who knows. Dak was fortunate to walk on the field behind best o line in football and best running back in football and top notch receivers. If you cant win with that find another sport.
    Many first rounders are crap shoots. Seems the ones that suceed the best go to teams one or two players from being really good so they can fit right in skillwise.

34. Watson is a quality person first and foremost. But he is not a top 5 pick in my opinion. Looks like everyone is calling him a bust before he evens gets in the league. Remember Dak Prescott. Watson may not go in the first round, but I believe he will be a good qb, don’t call him a bust, yet.

35. Some say he doesn’t look like a pro prospect. But to my eyes, with the way he withstood that PRO 5star recruit Alabama defense throughout the entire game and stood strong until the end displayed a lot of character – That earns him a shot in my book!

The rest of you predictors with your crystal balls that are generally far more wrong than right can go back to eating your *heetos.

36. patfic5 says:
    Jan 10, 2017 9:41 AM
    How did this kid NOT win the Heisman?

≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠

I like the kid, but he throws an awful lot of INTs.

37. jonwill57 says:
    Jan 10, 2017 9:58 AM
    @ says:
    Jan 10, 2017 9:22 AM

He’s not small either. Listed at 6’3″ 218 lbs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ==================================

JaMarcus Russell is a good example.
    He shot right past the 218 lb. mark when he was 12 years old.

38. So did Matt Ryan coming out of college. Ryan also had a putrid completion %.

Watson is a winner and has the composure and all the tools to be successful at the next level.

39. He seemed to have a problem picking up the blitz a few times. Needs to work on that. Second to third round is reasonable. Hope he makes it as a pro. Seems like a good young man.

40. @ sopadegato says:
    Jan 10, 2017 7:38 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It wasn’t a pick play because just before the WR could set the pick, the Bama DB grabbed him and pulled him into himself. It was as if the DB anticipated the pick, so to allow his teammate space to get around the pick, the DB initiated the contact. Nice try though!

41. If Watson has the toughness to keep getting up after taking those shots from the Bama d-line (most of which will probably go pro eventually), he is tough enough to play on Sundays. I think teams will come away impressed with his heart, even if they know they will need to coach him up for pro ball. Attitude and leadership are really important, and it seems like he inspires teammates to “go out and be legendary.”

42. BUST!!

Why draft this dude #1 overall when you have a carbon copy of him on the roster already who rides the pine? Makes NO sense, and Hue is smart enough to know that.

43. patfic5 says:
    Jan 10, 2017 9:41 AM

How did this kid NOT win the Heisman?

******************************
    The best player in the country won the trophy, and it wasn’t even close. If Clemson had Lamar Jackson, they would have won by 40 points. If Deshaun Watson was on Louisville, you wouldn’t know his name.

44. I think he would be a solid pick, just not a high first rounder. I don’t think that he will be “the savior” of a franchise, so the Browns need to pass on him and get some other help (they need so much) and the Niners could use him, but that pick could be used to trade up and get a couple of other high picks to use for some other holes. That is not very popular with people looking for a BIG NAME, but he could be a mid first rounder.

He also is a lot like Dak Prescott. I live in Mobile and watched a lot of the SEC and never understood how he fell so far down because I knew he would be a very good QB. I am also an ACC fan (Go Noles) and sew DW A LOT and thought he would make a solid QB for a team that doesn’t need a lot. Sort of like the Cowboys are now with Prescott. It will be tempting for the Bears as well as Cincy. Or, the Saints. I think that Brees in his last couple of years and they could bring DW along to step in for him. If he makes it to Houston, there will be a great temptation there as well as Denver.

In other words, he could go to a lot of places!!

45. “If Deshaun Watson was on Louisville, you wouldn’t know his name.”

**************************************************

HUH?? How many games did Louisville lose this year??? Jackson was good, but he will be a flameout next year. He came on the scene because he was “the new kid on the block”. After teams had some film on him they were able to develop a “scheme” to stop him and they did!!

Overall, DW was much better than Jackson. He will be the next Johnny Manziel. He’ll play next year then turn pro and find out that he will be running for his life during his short career. Watson will be in the NFL for a number of years.