Bills announce Sean McDermott as new head coach

Getty Images

The search for Rex Ryan’s replacement as the Bills’ head coach is officially over.

The Bills had a second interview with Sean McDermott on Wednesday and it ended with a job offer that McDermott accepted. As a result, the team has announced McDermott will be the 20th head coach in franchise history.

It is the first time that McDermott will be a head coach. He served as the defensive coordinator in Carolina for the last six seasons, which included an NFC championship and four top-10 finishes in yards allowed.

The Bills defense was a disappointment in Ryan’s two years on the job and there were several complaints from Bills players about the complexity of the system. McDermott will now put together a staff to try for better results on that side of the ball while also working to land an offensive coordinator to head up the other side of the ball.

There’s been a report that he’d like to work with former Chargers head coach Mike McCoy on that front, but McCoy is slated to interview with the Broncos on Thursday.

With McDermott under contract, there are now three teams — Rams, 49ers and Chargers — still looking for head coaches. McDermott was on the list of candidates for both the 49ers and Chargers.

60 responses to “Bills announce Sean McDermott as new head coach

1. With Mike McCoy scheduled to interview for the OC role in Denver, he better move quick if he wants him in Buffalo. Any other worthy OC candidates out there?

2. Rams
    Chargers
    49’rs

In that order for best place left to land.

I’m guessing it will be filled in that order too unless one of them gets anxious about being out of the news cycle and makes some ridiculous offer to a no-name in the effort of just filling the spot.

3. A million comments for the Broncos head coaching hire and only two for the Bills hire…. that shows that you are all obsessed with the Broncos. Its tough at the top… #BroncosCountry

4. If there wasn’t a good, NFL-experienced Head Coach available, this is a good choice. Hopefully he can line up a bombs away Offensive Coordinator and Whaley signs a real QB. Do that, switch to a 4-3 Defense, and you’re in the playoffs!

5. “Dear Anthony Lynn – thanks for helping with that thing you know we “had” to do. This will give you a leg up to return as offensive coordinator.” WINK 😉

-The Pegulas

6. milehighcityboss says:
    Jan 11, 2017 5:08 PM
    ________________________________________

Tough at the top? The Broncos didn’t even make the playoffs this year. Alas, neither did my Panthers. Anyway…

Congrats to McDermott. He did a great job with the Panthers defenses while in Carolina. Best of luck to him.

7. What are The Broncos up to this weekend? Oh, that’s right, they’re watching The Patriots. Boom!

8. If Anthony Lynn doesn’t have a real shot at a HC job, I hope he and Sean do the smart thing and let things be on offense. The offense is close enough to make a playoff run. The D-line will be retooled and I think McD can work with the rest.

9. bucks4ever13 says:
    Jan 11, 2017 5:22 PM
    ___________________

_______________________

Who is the current Super Bowl Champion? I’ll wait. Like I said, its tough at the top..

10. stillabillsfan says:
    Jan 11, 2017 5:31 PM

————————————————————-
    That’s not how the world works.

11. I couldn’t be more happy with this choice. The Bills always pick a HC that is average or way below average. Take Rex Ryan for example. He was a proven failure and the Bills still hired him. Doug Marrone went 25-25 with Syracuse and was hired as Buffalo’s HC. Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, and Dick Jauron were complete failures.

So I’m happy with this hire, bc I 100% though it was going to be stupid Chip Kelly or Jeff Fisher.

GO BILLS!!

12. Nice. Basically anyone’s better than Rex. Even if the Bills still suck under McDermott at least Buffalo won’t have that loudmouth moron making us look bad anymore.

People spoke highly of Lynn as a coach but with less than one season as an OC, running a modified version of someone else’s offense, I was skeptical he would have the experience for the top job. Most of his career was as an RB position coach with no experience that I know of with Defense, which is the Bills biggest weakness after the Rex train plowed into it. He is probably at least ready for an OC slot somewhere though.

13. He will be remembered forever if he takes my Bills to the playoffs. I like this hire a lot. I’m hearing a lot of good things from Panthers fan about him. Got my fingers crossed. Hopefully this 17 year drought ends. It’s been wayyy too long!

14. Rams-McVay?…. 49ers-Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels?…. That leaves The Chargers, who may waittill after January 17th before hiring someone. I wonder if Lynn stays in Buffalo, gets one of the remaining jobs or jumps ship to another team as OC.

15. milehighcityboss says:
    Jan 11, 2017 5:08 PM

————-

I suspect it may be closer to, “what the heck are the Broncos thinking?”

Last place in the division next year seems a real possibility.

16. osiris33 (bandwagon since 1976) says:
    Jan 11, 2017 5:26 PM
    I fail to see how this is an improvement over Rex Ryan. 7-9 again.
    ===============

12’s fail to see a lot of things

17. Rumor has it McDermott instills discipline which the Bills reportedly need. I’d prefer someone that’s been a head coach or at least been part of a longtime winner. …Of course, I still wish I was reading that Brandon and Whaley are no longer employees in the Bills Front Office.

18. Probably the only guy willing to work within that dysfunctional front office structure. Strange considering Lynn was the name they were leading with – probably to see if it would be acceptable. Maybe the negative feedback caused them to focus on others.

Though I thought it pretty dumb of Lynn to say he’d bring Bradley. As if a front office would just allow a HC with little coordinating experience the change to unilaterally pick a coaching staff.

But, if you’re going to hire someone without HC experience, best to be someone who’s been a coordinator. McDermott got screwed in the last days of Reid as a scapegoat, though many thought he had HC potential even back then.

19. What becomes of Anthony Lynn?
    ***********************************

Lynn has had a great year. O-line coach to O-coordinator to interim HC. But, he’s not ready for a HC gig. I do wish him well. It will come 🙂

20. raiderapologist says:
    Jan 11, 2017 7:16 PM
    Say hello to the next guy to get fired from that CFL outpost in two years. If he doesn’t quit first.
    _______________________________________
    Get with the program genius, he never coached in the CFL…..but your coach showed a lot of CFL potential when he wouldn’t pull Cook for the 2nd string QB. Better luck next year LOL.

21. raiderapologist says:
    Jan 11, 2017 7:16 PM

1 54

Brock Osweiler..lol

22. Hey, how about we not rip on our Canadian friends? I watch the CFL and enjoy it, actually.

How about USFL (especially since they’re out of business?). Maybe a better analogy when ywanna rip someone as not being NFL “primetime” (Berman voice).

23. Got a raw deal when he left Philly trying to replace the legendary JJ but he’s done great things in Carolina and has deserved this opportunity for the last 3 seasons. Best of luck to the young coach.

24. Probably the Bills’ biggest problem was that they went through 9 HCs in the 20yrs since the end of Levy’s time there – almost one every 2yrs. I know it’s a new-ish (2014) owner fired Ryan – but let’s hope it’s not the same 2yr-ethos or the Bills will likely suffer two more decades of pain. The omens, however (GM Whaley’s comments, owner Pegula’s other sports franchises), don’t yet provide too much hope.

25. “What becomes of Anthony Lynn?”

He keeps getting token interviews to satisfy the Rooney rule. It was clear from day one why suddenly 6 teams wanted to interview him. It’s not because he had the Bills pull out an amazing practices and Week 17 victory under his leadership. If I was him, I’d be pissed that I got passed around like candy just to satisfy a stupid rule.

26. Hope this works out for Sean, but I was never a fan. He only lasted a year as DC in Philly before he was fired, and Ron Rivera really ran the defense in Carolina. The Panthers defense had some great player – but this year without Josh Norman, it took a huge nosedive. I haven’t seen anything from McDermott to demonstrate that he has what it takes to be the head coach of a winner in this league. Hope I’m wrong.

27. I have a colleague who is friends with his family. I really wish the best for him. It didn’t work out for him in Philadelphia, but it really wasn’t his fault. He’s been a great defensive coordinator for Carolina and I think he’ll probably be a great head coach.

28. Congrats you hired a defensive minded head coach who’s defense in Carolina was ranked 21st in the league to replace another defensive minded coach (Rex) who’s defense was ranked #19th in the league.

I am not even sure the dysfunctional front office will give McDermott 2 years before they fire him and replace him with Hue Jackson (who Cleveland will fire)..

29. As a Panthers fan, I have to say Sean McDermott will be missed. He did a great job in making the best of his resources to give us a respectable, and at times, a feared defense that kept us in many games when the offense was struggling. Good luck Coach, I hope you turn the Bills around (except if and when they play the Panthers 🙂 )

#KeepPounding