Danny Amendola nearing return for Patriots

BUFFALO, NY - OCTOBER 30:  Danny Amendola #80 of the New England Patriots warms up before the game against the Buffalo Bills at New Era Field on October 30, 2016 in Buffalo, New York.  (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images) Getty Images

A high-ankle sprain sidelined Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola for the final four weeks of the regular season. But with New England’s playoff opener against the Houston Texans on Saturday, Amendola could be back at Tom Brady’s disposal.

The only thing I’ve been focused on the past four to five weeks is to get as healthy as possible and feel as good as I can, and be available for whatever Coach (Bill Belichick) wants me to do. It’s been a long four to five weeks, but I feel good today,” Amendola said Tuesday, via Mike Reiss of ESPN.com.

Amendola returned to practice last week during the Patriots’ bye week for the first time since being injured against the Los Angeles Rams in early December.

Amendola caught 23 passes for 243 yards and four touchdowns in 12 games this year for the Patriots before missing the final four games of the season. While Amendola wouldn’t state for certain that he intends to play, it seems he’s on track to being available for the Patriots Saturday night.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Danny Amendola nearing return for Patriots”
  1. carloswlassiter says: Jan 11, 2017 4:54 AM

Time to waive Michael Floyd.

2. bonitalocal says: Jan 11, 2017 6:10 AM

Let’s go, Danny!

I wouldn’t trade the Pats’ receiving corps for any other in the league.
    Jules, Danny, Mitchell, Floyd, Hogan….Damn! Stacked!
    Brady has never had it so good.

If there is ever a time to lose the best TE in history to injury….this was it.

I’d like to take this opportunity to throw in my 2 cents on Martellus Bennett…..KEEP HIM, Pats!
    2 years ago, I could not have possibly pictured myself saying this, but I love the guy!
    What a freaking addition!

Go Pats!

3. proudchowdahead13 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:36 AM

He probably will spend more time on kickoff and punt returns than at Receiver.

4. kablaam360 says: Jan 11, 2017 7:05 AM

As pompous as this sounds, I hope they sit him just one more week.

5. intrafinesse says: Jan 11, 2017 8:05 AM

>>“The playoffs is what you play for, it’s why everybody’s here,” he said. “It’s what we’ve been waiting on all year.”

Spend most of the year injured, get to play in the playoffs and ride the back of a good team, while getting playoff money.
    Sounds like a good deal.

Does he get cut after the season, or come back for 1.5 million again? Maybe less, with incentives for production?

6. maust1013 says: Jan 11, 2017 10:23 AM

intrafinesse says:
    Jan 11, 2017 8:05 AM
    Sounds like a good deal.

==================

If you are going to troll at least put a little effort into it.
    It took all of 30 seconds online to find the #’s that show how foolish that post is. Amendola’s per game roster bonus is $250k, he earned $3M from that incentive alone by playing in 12 games. You don’t have to be a math genius to realize a guy that suited up for 12 games did not “spend most of the year injured.” Anyone that watched the Pats return game without him out there would tell you that was money well spent, even if that was all he contributed.

The risk/reward ratio of playoff pay makes playing in them for the $ a bad bet for any non PS player:
    Divisional Round: $25,000
    Conference Championship: $46,000
    Super Bowl Winner: $102,000
    Super Bowl Loser: $51,000

7. dsigrey says: Jan 11, 2017 10:29 AM

I’d rather see him as a returner than go 5 wide. That said, 5 wide sounds fun.

8. patsfiend says: Jan 11, 2017 11:09 AM

kablaam360 says:
    Jan 11, 2017 7:05 AM
    As pompous as this sounds, I hope they sit him just one more week.
    ———-
    I’d half agree with you, except nothing will get him ready to play in the AFCC or SB better than full-speed / full-hit reps against the Texans.

Not to also sound pompous… or jinx my team… but Amendola could use some practice reps against the B-Squad from Houston. 🙂

9. bleck5 says: Jan 11, 2017 11:46 AM

Good. We are still in desperate need for someone to return punts.