Michael Floyd says he’s living in a hotel, focused only on football

Getty Images

Patriots wide receiver Michael Floyd has had a strange season, and as Floyd awaits the start of the playoffs for his new team on Saturday he told reporters that he’s waiting quietly — and alone.

Floyd, who was claimed by the Patriots after being cut by the Cardinals following a DUI arrest in December, said he’s “strictly focused” on football and learning the playbook.

Floyd said he’s been living in a hotel, eating most of his meals and spending his time at the team facility, and is “on a big vacation” away from both distraction and his past life in Arizona.

“I don’t have family out here with me,” Floyd said, per the Boston Globe. “I don’t have people calling me all day. There’s a lot of people I knew out there [in Phoenix] than I do out here, so that’s just what it is.

“I’m here for one reason.”

Interestingly, the Boston Globe story on Floyd said he ended the interview when asked if he has had a drink of alcohol since coming to New England.

Floyd caught two touchdown passes in the Patriots’ regular-season finale, and with an extra week to prepare and catch up he figures to be involved in the team’s game plan for this week’s divisional playoff game vs. Houston. Floyd’s arrest will almost certainly affect his pending free agency, and maybe a strong postseason will make the Patriots want to keep him around. Or maybe he just knows laying low is the best plan for right now.

“I kind of act like I’m broke, so, that’s how I am,” he said. “I can really actually just focus in on football and I can get to work in less than three minutes, so I really like it.”

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
55 Responses to “Michael Floyd says he’s living in a hotel, focused only on football”
  1. therealtrenches says: Jan 11, 2017 6:31 PM

“I kind of act like I’m broke, so, that’s how I am,” he said.

Right…because broke people…they live in hotels.

2. jimnaizeeum says: Jan 11, 2017 6:31 PM

“I kind of act like I’m broke, so, that’s how I am,”

Not acting like you are broke, unless you are staying in a cheap hotel…and I would bet that you are not.

3. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Jan 11, 2017 6:33 PM

He needs professional help, not some self imposed isolation. Some demons are just too powerful to deal with on your own.

4. theweedsthruthetrees says: Jan 11, 2017 6:35 PM

He said “kind of…”, fellas. Give it a rest.

5. gr365 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:36 PM

“I’m here for one reason.”

Hmmm?

6. fin72 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:38 PM

I have no sympathy for people who are given extraordinary opportunities and piss them away. I look forward to this guy being out of the League and forgotten within the next year.

7. braceyourselffor12 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:39 PM

Well that’s better than a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

8. 6ball says: Jan 11, 2017 6:40 PM

With Amendola, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and Floyd, the Patriots have their deepest receiving corp of the Brady era. It’s unfortunate that Gronk isn’t available to team with Bennett. He creates a lot of mismatches.

9. chieftaindawg says: Jan 11, 2017 6:41 PM

Trust him, he’s got this. Let him work it out on his own. Those Super Bowl trophys make people do strange things, good and bad.

10. thecape15 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:42 PM

I never really saw him before he came to NE.

I liked what I saw. His hit to clear Edleman made me jump out of my chair.

And his dragging 4 defenders into the end zone was Gronk-like.

If he can keep his nose clean, he will be a good fit.

11. nic3roc0123 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:43 PM

I’m a Jets fan so I don’t know how well received my comment will be, but I’m also a big fan/ND alumni who is very aware of Floyds troubles.

But the outrage about this guys DUI arrest is ridiculous, everyone has demons and I have worked with a lot of people who have DWI/DUI arrests in their past. They were all good people as well they just struggled with various issues from custody battles, addiction, family death, and mental illness. We don’t know the full story so who are the fans and media to judge.

Arians was just trying to make an example out of this guy to establish himself back into the locker room. He was doing it all year with his players and it so happened his arrest was during Arians idiotic “ripping players to the media” rampage.

12. youknowiknowitall says: Jan 11, 2017 6:44 PM

Floyd caught two touchdown passes in the Patriots’ regular-season finale
    —————-
    On the second one, he must have been wearing someone else’s jersey because I don’t seem to remember that one.

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:33 PM
    He needs professional help …
    ————–
    Maybe. But what would you know?

13. vancouversportsbro says: Jan 11, 2017 6:44 PM

Wonder if Belicheat will sign Dahmer or Popkov to his team next.

14. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 11, 2017 6:45 PM

He’s obviously living at the hotel in Patriot Place where he can be under close supervision of the team, does not have to drive anywhere and is doing exactly what he needs to do to turn his life around

Sounds to me like a guy who realizes both how much he screwed up and what an opportunity he’s been given with the Pats.

Don’t screw it up dude. You can be a star with Brady throwing to you, just keep away from the booze, ignore any calls from your buddies out west and keep your head deep in the playbook

15. The Truth says: Jan 11, 2017 6:46 PM

Has he had a drink ? A drink ??? Lmao. Meanwhile gregory suspended 14 games last year and rest of this year for pot. Smh

16. youknowiknowitall says: Jan 11, 2017 6:47 PM

———
    Well, then, I hope fail at what you do too.

17. rollsieboys says: Jan 11, 2017 6:50 PM

sounds like he knows he’s down to his last chance. cut the guy some slack, he appears to be going about it the right way.

18. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 11, 2017 6:51 PM

Where are all the outraged fanboys who wanted Joey Porters head the other day? I guess you support your own trash but attack another teams trash …..
    Sounds a little hypocritical to me but after all that’s one of the merit badges you must earn to be a true fan.

I hope Floyd beats his demons…….my dad was an alcoholic….so I do understand.

19. margoadams says: Jan 11, 2017 6:51 PM

It would be hilarious if Michael Floyd was Super Bowl MVP. Goodell would be throwing up.

20. The Truth says: Jan 11, 2017 6:54 PM

Here’s what i don’t get the NFL can impose their own discipline right ? But yet they let this besotted nitwit keep playing found passed out at the wheel with 6 criminal charges pending. Meanwhile they suspend guys left and right for a little pot. The patsies being the most heavily punished team in league history now has that working for them. How many more patsies can you suspend or toss in jail or fine ? League actually feels bad for them.
    Owner Fined
    Coach Fined
    QB Suspended
    TE Most prolific serial shooter since son of sam
    Sounds more like a crime syndicate than an nfl organization

21. orangeraider says: Jan 11, 2017 6:56 PM

IF true, good for him.
    Go patriots and a pox on you haters

22. bassplucker says: Jan 11, 2017 6:56 PM

For a guy with alcohol issues I would think living by himself in a hotel room is the last thing you’d want. But whatever. He looked pretty damn focused in his first game as a Patriot anyway.

23. csb28 says: Jan 11, 2017 7:02 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:33 PM

I saw your screen name and automatically gave a thumbs down before I looked at what you wrote. Sorry for this one time I would give you a thumbs up.

24. youknowiknowitall says: Jan 11, 2017 7:10 PM

Some people believe Floyd has a drinking problem while everybody knows that Porter is a dispicable jackazz. Hope that clarifies it for you.

25. riraider says: Jan 11, 2017 7:16 PM

“The Truth” seems to be a bit confused. If he/she would take the time to evaluate cheating in the NFL, he/she would discover the Patriots rank 15th tied with the Seahawks.

26. dryzzt23 says: Jan 11, 2017 7:18 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:33 PM

I disagree 100%. Liberals, courts, rehab advocates all spew rhetoric about how a person cannot correct issues on their own, they MUST see a therapist, teacher, govt bureaucrat, be admitted to a rehab facility whose sole goal is to make the person dependent on someone else for support, direction, protection from themselves etc. I KNOW b/c I was in an inpatient rehab facility for a month.

Floyd has empowered HIMSELF to make a choice(s) to better himself. Who is patsfan4lifesbchamps to mandate that Floyd MUST use some court or liberal appointed therapist who is only in it for the money.
    If you make a person dependent on another, he/she will NEVER learn to make smart choices on their own. This is the classic liberal narrative of “it takes a village” blah blah blah.

I’m proud that Floyd has told everyone to screw off, leave him alone to address his issues. Last I checked, the media is/are not the most sincere, honest, ethical, noble people in the world. The media has an agenda and that agenda includes using athletes like Floyd for their own selfish purposes.

27. abninf says: Jan 11, 2017 7:20 PM

====================================

There’s a difference between an alcoholic with past issues and someone who drives drunk.

28. concrete998 says: Jan 11, 2017 7:26 PM

fin72 says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:38 PM
    ————————

You forgot to say … I’m perfect and I’ve never made a mistake.

29. maust1013 says: Jan 11, 2017 7:27 PM

The Truth says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:54 PM
    Here’s what i don’t get…
    ==================

If you didn’t understand all the previous explanations why Floyd to Gregory is an apples to oranges comparison another one isn’t going to help. What part of multiple failed tests while in the substance abuse program resulting in zero tolerance is so hard to understand?

30. eramming says: Jan 11, 2017 7:30 PM

I’m sure housekeeping is well tipped to keep the restocking of the mini bar tight lipped. I’m sure he’s made his way down to the hotel lounge everyday as well. Can’t drive himself to the bar anymore!

31. redclaw1314 says: Jan 11, 2017 7:36 PM

Damn right he ended the interview when asked if he has had a drink since coming to New England—insulting question.

32. dwoofer says: Jan 11, 2017 7:39 PM

As soon as Floyd learns to shove the defender on every pass pattern, he will be ready for a long-term contract with the Pats

33. mistrezzrachael says: Jan 11, 2017 7:44 PM

Rooting for Floyd to turn it around in NE…like Randy Moss did.

34. askedtoleavechoir says: Jan 11, 2017 7:56 PM

I could not be in more total agreement with those who say this man did a very bad thing. Mercifully, no innocent persons were harmed.

I would like to suggest we suspend judgement on him to discern if he has learned from this egregious episode. There is an old maxim that goes something like this, “Let he without sin, cast the first stone.” Trust me, I’ll throw the first cement block at him if he does anything remotely like this again.

In the interim, we might all want to remember we have not walked one step in his shoes and, therefore I believe, we are incapable of knowing what caused him to do this foolish, sorry act.

I am not a Pat’s fan; just one who has screwed-up and had a second chance. I guess, thankfully, many of you have not.

35. terripet says: Jan 11, 2017 8:02 PM

Does the hotel have a bar

36. skyflyer63 says: Jan 11, 2017 8:09 PM

He’s broke because he has to pay to get the mini’s refilled in the fridge everyday.

37. infectorman says: Jan 11, 2017 8:09 PM

fin72 says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:38 PM

Such a positive outlook

38. skyflyer63 says: Jan 11, 2017 8:11 PM

_________________________
    Time to stop by the masonry dept at Home depot….

Arrested twice for underage drinking
    Arrested twice for DUI

39. drunkraider says: Jan 11, 2017 8:12 PM

so he is in a 5star hotel drunk off his ass doing lines.

way to act broke.

40. rogerWWEgoodell says: Jan 11, 2017 8:12 PM

therealtrenches says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:31 PM

Right…because broke people…they live in hotels.

———-
    Well this is mass, it’s not like the rest of the country, the state puts everyone whose broke up in hotels and taxpayers get billed. That said, he’s not broke, come on.

41. chuckshontaspads says: Jan 11, 2017 8:14 PM

It always blows me away how perfect all you pathetic haters are..if he was picked up by the Jets or Dolphins or Seahawks you would be whining to leave him alone.

42. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 11, 2017 8:18 PM

You mean just like Pat’s so hypocritically do…please spare me the liberal attack. Porter and Floyd both have substance abuse problems…and I feel for them. They are the only ones that can shake their demons but some times the help of others can help in tough moments..have you heard of AA? But it’s funny how a fan base can turn a bling eye when it’s there team accepting a trouble child…. folks it’s a hypocracy…

43. grabgrabgrab says: Jan 11, 2017 8:42 PM

“I’m here for one reason.”

To find the nearest blow depot.

44. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 11, 2017 8:55 PM

“Where are all the outraged fanboys who wanted Joey Porters head the other day?”

Mostly laughing at you and your 1st grade level attempts to irritate Pats fans.

45. breadmeatcheese says: Jan 11, 2017 8:59 PM

hes there for one reason: football, staying sober, and growing some hands.

46. tedmurph says: Jan 11, 2017 9:03 PM

There’s no hypocrisy here whatsoever. I’m on record that I didn’t like this signing. The difference here is Pats fans, for the most part, are saying let’s see if this guy can clean up his life. Nobody is denying he made a serious mistake, that I’ve seen. The Pats vetted the situation and seem ok with it for now. And that is a lot of talent to walk away from.

Over in steeler land they’re doing the same thing they did with Roethlisberger, HWard, etc. They either deny their guy did anything wrong, or say it’s no big deal. According to drooly for example, assaulting a police officer while intoxicated happens all the time in bars across the country. No biggie, right?

47. dwilkinson1968 says: Jan 11, 2017 9:07 PM

Hopefully there’s no mini bar in his hotel room. At least he won’t be driving around in there.

48. nufcedmcgreevey says: Jan 11, 2017 9:54 PM

I’m here so I won’t get fined.

49. RegisHawk says: Jan 12, 2017 6:01 AM

I kind of act like I’m broke, so, that’s how I am.

So he’s not tipping the masseuse or room service…and he only buys 2 movies a night…and gets the 2nd best bottle of wine to go with dinner…

50. rcali says: Jan 12, 2017 10:54 AM

It’s just a matter of when, not if, when he gets his 3rd DUI. Get this dude some help before he kills somebody on the road.

51. patsfiend says: Jan 12, 2017 11:39 AM

He’s in the hotel right there, I think it’s a beautiful Radisson, at Patriots Place. Can walk to practice and restaurants, keep out of trouble, and Pats brass can keep an eye on him. Maybe Gronk is lending him his bus driver “Goon” for a lift every now and then. Sounds to me like he’s doing exactly what he needs to do, and I wouldn’t be surprised when he has his day in court if there is a Patriots staffer there as a character witness.

I hope he works it out, whether he stays with the Pats or not. It’s no easy thing. I also hope he’s punished appropriately for his DUI, as getting behind the wheel of any vehicle in that state… regardless of the circumstances, is incredibly reckless with other people’s lives as well as his own.

52. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 12, 2017 12:12 PM

BTW to all the people with the minibar comments.

The Pats own Patriot Place and have a huge influence over what goes on there.

Do you really think the Pats didn’t have any minibar removed from the room or stocked solely with soda and juice?

The Pats put their players in a position to succeed, not put blatant temptation to fail in front of them. I think its also safe to say he won’t be served alcohol at any of the restaurants there or by room service.

53. superpatriotsfan says: Jan 12, 2017 1:43 PM

Nothing to do in NE during the Winter. I would lock myself in a room. Hence all of the Pats homers who bombard these pages.

54. sportschatterdotco says: Jan 12, 2017 5:31 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Jan 11, 2017 6:33 PM
    He needs professional help

says the guy who pretends to be a Patriots fan online

55. trybhumble says: Jan 13, 2017 9:48 AM

‘Most prolific shooter since the son of sam’ and ‘ criminal syndicate organization’. That’s the kind of nonsense from the trolls from the Burg, they evidence themselves as classless.