Jerry Jones wants to add a war daddy on defense

Getty Images

Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett is from Arlington, Texas and he’s made it clear that he’d love to stay home to play for the Cowboys on the professional level.

Garrett may not be around for the second pick of the draft, which would mean that the Cowboys would have to pay a pretty penny to guarantee themselves a shot at plugging Garrett into their defensive front. That may not be a likely outcome, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones isn’t keeping a secret when it comes to his hopes of finding a disruptive player for the 2017 season.

“If I have a chance to bring one of these premiere pass rushers, one of these war daddies that takes two to block, if I have a chance to get a player like that – I would … it’s not a question of that,” Jones said on “J Dub City” on ESPN Dallas 103.3, via the Dallas Morning News. “It’s a question of where is he? And who gives him up if he’s a veteran, or where is he in the draft, or where is he anywhere? So, yeah we do need pressure. We’re going to try to do something about it.”

The Cowboys could add one intriguing prospect to their defense if linebacker Jaylon Smith is healthy enough to get back on the field and the offseason figures to be devoted to finding others given the shape they’re in on the other side of the ball.

76 responses to “Jerry Jones wants to add a war daddy on defense

1. There are many great defensive players in this draft. The Cowboys were able to find Dak Prescott in the fourth round last year. I’m sure those same scouts will able to find a couple defensive studs this year. You don’t have to trade up to find great players. The teams that pick early are usually the teams that don’t scout well, so great players always manage to slip to the good teams that do scout well.

2. The pro football hall of fame thinks they’re somehow protecting the HoF by using ridiculous reasoning to keep obvious first ballot hall of famers out. What they’re doing is diminishing the HoF. TO isn’t a border line candidate and Moss isn’t a birder line candidate either. Both are amongst the best receivers to ever play in the league.

3. Ain’t winning anything with the red head on the sideline. Captain Clapper ain’t ever getting you to the promised land.

4. ))nhpats says:
    Feb 12, 2017 10:42 AM
    For the sake of God, will somebody please put a muzzle on this guy
    ========================
    Me thinks you are complaining about the wrong “horse” 🙂
    Try whining about the media outlets, who write articles about everything JJ says, ya think??? In addition, there is not a soul making you click on the article and then taking time to post. JJ is in the HOF now, so look forward to even more microphones in his face……

5. They had their shot last year – they were healthy, played way over their heads and had home field.

Next year I expect Dak to regress, a more typical number of injuries, a draft bust here and there and some other teams to get all the breaks.

I see Dallas at 9-7 at best in 2017.

6. My understanding is that the Texas Federal Correctional Prison System has a bunch of War Daddies, some of which are available for weekend furloughs. Jerrah?

7. Sorry Pats fans, your war chant is Shady screaming on the sidelines, 24/7, “Let’s Go!” How motivating, stimulating. Reminds me of my days playing high school ball. My toes have tingles! Not.

BTW, how is the White House trip going? Is Tommy the only one. Nice support by team mates. They have tuned out his juvenile antics a long time ago. LET’S GO! Apparently, not to the WH.

8. Some clowns on here think a Romo for JJ Watt trade straight up would be a good deal. LOL Sure, it would be a good/great deal for Dallas – but only Dallas.

If I was trading Watt to Dallas… I’d ask for their first 3 picks this year and their first next year, and throw Romo in “just because”. Watt is still prime, Romo is late-late twilight of his career. Give your head a shake Dallas fans.

9. therealraider gasped:

Between “Glory Hole”and now “War Daddy”
    .. I’m starting to think Jerry has a little sugar in his tank.

i guess we know two of your triggers are large dlinemen, and rich male senior citizens.

10. carloswlassiter says:
    Feb 12, 2017 11:18 AM

I see Dallas at 9-7 at best in 2017.

19 9

Rest easy Dallas fans this troll knows nothing about football he is just a fanboy with time on his hands and a need for attention.

Jerry will get what he wants thru the draft.

11. babygaga19 says:
    Feb 12, 2017 11:55 AM

———————————————————–
    Your argument would be probably be more effective if Brady hadn’t won 5 SBs.

12. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 12, 2017 12:49 PM

Rest easy Dallas fans this troll knows nothing about football
    ————————————————————

13. nhpats says:
    Feb 12, 2017 10:42 AM
    For the sake of God, will somebody please put a muzzle on this guy?

————————-

And yet here you are adding clicks to a page about the person you want muzzled…lmao.

14. nsawins says:
    Feb 12, 2017 11:13 AM

————————————————————-
    Totally agree. You can pull rabbits out of your hat in the draft all day long, but with Garrett, or McAdoo or Tomlin at the helm you’ll never win a big game unless you luck into a situation where you get to play one of the other hacks.

It’s like that Tomlin-Whisenhunt SB debacle. One of them had to win despite themselves.

15. Brenda is right. Now that Jerry Jones is in the HoF, he will assume even more people will want to hear from him even more often. In fact, he probably believes that from now on, everyone who goes to the HoF is going there to see him only. What a dork!

How long has it taken for Jerry to realize that his defence stinks? And didn’t Hardy meet Jerry’s description of “war daddy”, only to have caused the war to be in the locker room and not on the field?

Give it up Jerry. Time for the pasture just like any other old cow.

16. NFL has become unbearably boring and the hero worshipping fools that post on this site embody the ” new” nfl.
    Constant non-sensical arguments about the best ever
    The Hall of fame
    The officiating
    Deflategate
    Jerry jones
    Bandwagon new england fans
    Bandwagon cowboy fans
    It goes on and on and on

Here is a suggestion , go grab your kids and take them skating or to an open shoot around at the local Y and stop living your life through pro athletes that don’t know or care that you even exist

17. The Truth says:
    Feb 12, 2017 2:50 PM
    Constant non-sensical arguments about the best ever
    The Hall of fame
    The officiating
    Deflategate
    Jerry jones
    Bandwagon new england fans
    Bandwagon cowboy fans
    It goes on and on and on
    ————————————
    Good advice….you should take yourself up on it!!!

18. The Cowboys had a War Daddy at DE in the past in Michael Sam, but they ignorantly let him go. I say, bring back Sam to be our War Daddy at DE and fill our hole. Let’s also get a Big Daddy at DT and a Leather Daddy to play Linebacker.

19. Comical. Jerry still thinks he can just buy talent and win a championship like he did before free agency.

“It’s not about collecting the most talent, it’s about building a team”. B. Belichick

20. My prediction about the NE-Pitt AFC title game (i.e. that NE would destroy the Steelers, again) was a little more accurate than yours, so I guess I know something about football.

You know how to lie to fit your spin. Please show me my prediction Carlos…….pants on fire little liar. I don’t make predictions on here fool.

21. dallas will never win a super bowl with jerry getting in the way. Same thing with stealers/tomlynn. Mark. My. Words.

New England Patriots-World champions again. Twice in the last 3 years……and counting.

22. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 12, 2017 5:06 PM

Carlos…….pants on fire little liar.
    ———————————————————–
    How old are you, like 12? Grow the hell up.

23. Quality NFL franchises run by professionals:

Ravens
    Steelers
    Patriots
    Denver
    KC
    Packers
    Seahawks
    Giants

That’s it. The odds of a team other than these winning the SB next year is virtually nil.

24. taptap77 says:
    Feb 12, 2017 3:23 PM
    So many clowns on here jealous of America’s Team.
    Gotta love it!

———————————
    How can we not be? With all those Superbowl wins in the past 15 years….. oh wait I must be thinking about Americas REAL team. The 5 time superbowl champion New England Patriots. 5, count that again 5 Superbowls since 2001. That is more Superbowl wins then the Cowboys have playoff games.

25. kissmytaintpatriotswinagain says:
    Feb 12, 2017 6:38 PM

Dallas fans think they can really get JJ Watt for Romo straight up? Apparentlly they drink as much as their owner.
    ————————————————————-
    A realistic deal would be Romo + Dallas’s 1st and 3rd round pick to Houston for Watt (and this is only based on Watt coming off injury).

26. carloswlassiter | Feb 12, 2017, 5:34 PM EST
    Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 12, 2017 5:06 PM

Carlos…….pants on fire little liar.
    ———————————————————–
    How old are you, like 12? Grow the hell up.

Actually 70+ Carlos so I know a liar when I see one…..funny you didn’t deny your lie. I guess lying over and over makes things come true but we all know that’s what is now the norm in New England. You are not the sharpest troll in the knife drawer….but keeping trolling anyway it seems to be your whole life.

27. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 12, 2017 12:43 PM
    For the sake of God, will somebody please put a muzzle on this guy?

Pot meet kettle.

————
    You still mad that BB owns Mike Tomlin? Bradshaw was correct….

28. I’m still the only guy in here with the stones to print my own name and stand behind every single thing I’ve typed.

And now I’m in a battle of wits with an 85 year old man who calls himself NoFoolNoDrool?

OK – bring it on – I like my chances in this one.

29. For the kids out there that don’t know the Internet can be used for research, from Urban dictionary: “A term used to describe a particularly impressive football player, mostly offensive lineman of substantial girth. Originated in the deep south and used primarily by southern football coaches.

See dat boy, he a big ol’ hoss, a bonafide war daddy!”

30. As long as this old fool and his goof of a son run this team they will always always come short. Especially in that conference, its stacked.

31. bearssuck says:
    Feb 12, 2017 8:06 PM

Especially in that conference, its stacked.
    ————————————————————-
    Three SB losses in a row.

Maybe the NFC is “stacked” and the AFC is just more stacked?

32. Would a war daddy have prevented Dallas from going one and done with the #1 playoffs seed? Doubt it.

33. carloswlassiter | Feb 12, 2017, 7:24 PM EST

OK – bring it on – I like my chances in this one.

The stones you have fit in the small space in your head not in the spot you would like them to be otherwise you wouldn’t need to lie. Carlos always remember I have already forgotten more than you will know. Stand behind a lie I called you on……proof little grasshopper….proof.

34. Jerry wants to add this era’s version of Charles Haley to the Cowboy defense. Haley was the player who put Dallas over the top during its glory days of the 90’s. This current version of the Cowboys seems to be modeled after that Super Bowl era team.

35. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 12, 2017 9:42 PM

Carlos always remember I have already forgotten more than you will know.
    ———————————————————–
    As an 85 year old man, I’m not surprised that you’ve forgotten a great deal, including (apparently) all of the trolling, nasty, inflammatory comments you made about Patriots and their fans for as long as I’ve been on this site.

I forgive you though – I did not realize that at your advanced age you may simply not be aware of what you’ve been typing.

36. America’s real team is the New England Patriots. It were Patriots that fought for the independence of this great nation from the British. Not some cowboys…..

37. Luckily for the Cowboys, their positions of need are deep in this draft. But no dice on trading everything to get Garrett. I’d be more than happy to sit back and take Derek Barnett at 28. Check their numbers against each other, Barnett’s sacks mostly come from SEC games, Garrett, not so much.

38. Go sign Ware for 3 years 21 million to serve as a 3rd down specialist, see if Jaylon Smith is ready to take over a LB spot, get Dlawrence healthy, and draft 3-4 DE and corners in the first 4 rounds of the draft….improvements at every level. Super bowl.