No days off? Tom Brady says he’ll work out all offseason

Getty Images

Patriots coach Bill Belichick chanted “No days off” at the Patriots’ victory celebration after Super Bowl LI, and quarterback Tom Brady considers that his lifestyle.

Brady said this morning on PFT Live that he might occasionally take a day off from working out this offseason, but that will be very rare. The 39-year-old Brady, who wants to play well into his 40s, called it a “lifestyle choice” to eat properly, keep his body strong and pliable, and be constantly ready for “peak performance.”

“At this point in my career the best thing to do is just to do it year-round,” Brady said. “I don’t think the ebbs and flows, get in great shape and then get out of shape and then see if you can get back into shape is a good thing. So I prefer to keep my arm always ready to go.”

Brady said that he has a job he loves, so why wouldn’t he want to do it every day?

“I really love training and being in good shape and it’s so much a part of my life now, so it never really feels like work to me,” Brady said. “It’s a real strength for me that I’ve never minded the training process. It’s something I enjoy I really like being in the gym or, certainly, on the field.”

Few players in NFL history have managed to play well after turning 40. Brady, who will turn 40 on August 3, has a plan in place to do it.

53 responses to “No days off? Tom Brady says he’ll work out all offseason

1. I’ll never forget Jon Gruden going absolutely nuts wearing that TB12 fter he learned the word ‘pliability’ on MNF… HOF Gruden Grinder presentation

2. GOAT QBs do what GOAT QBs do.

🙂

#AllHailTomBrady
    #AllHailTheChamp
    #BOWToTheKing
    #BOWToTheGOAT
    #BOWToTheLegend

3. BOW DOWN PUNKS. BOW TO THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK WHO EVER GRACED AN NFL FOOTBALL FIELD WITH HIS PRESENCE.

4. Tom Brady never had it easy – not in college, or in the NFL. He did not have a famous football father or brother, was considered too unathletic and slow by scouts, and had to fight for everything he has today. He has lived the ultimate American dream, and the fact that so many people hate on him says more about them than him.
    This coming from a liberal.

5. Training and eating well is the most important imgredient for an older player to hang on and play at a high level. Few actually commit themselves to doing it. Love him or hate him, you got to respect Brady’s commitment to being great.

6. Found it interesting in the interview when he spoke about how players work muscle groups one way in the gym and then ask those muscles to do something different on the field and he has evolved his routine to work towards the field. It would be informative to contrast and compare different top tier QB’s workouts

7. Yea he needs to work on those super difficult screens and slants. I mean Jimmy G dominated while he played in that offense too. So you know its gotta be super hard. Keep practicing those ‘high percentage’ passes you live off of. Avoid throwing the ball more than 10 yds in the air to limit any mistakes, that’s super impressive. Backup and rookie third stringer had 0 int’s in first 4 games……….goes to show its a dummy proof offense. All high percentage passes. They were on pace for a 12-4 season with a backup and third stringer at the helm. Congrats tom, you can get the team 2 more wins than a backup and third stringer………very impressive. I wonder how green bay, pitt, colts, saints, giants, etc… woudl do without starting qb’s, im willing to bet anything they’d lose a lot more than 2 games without their starters- b/c they do so much more than Tom.

8. Yea he needs to work on those super difficult screens and slants. I mean Jimmy G dominated while he played in that offense too. So you know its gotta be super hard. Keep practicing those ‘high percentage’ passes you live off of. Avoid throwing the ball more than 10 yds in the air to limit any mistakes, that’s super impressive. Backup and rookie third stringer had 0 int’s in first 4 games……….goes to show its a dummy proof offense. All high percentage passes. They were on pace for a 12-4 season with a backup and third stringer at the helm. Congrats tom, you can get the team 2 more wins than a backup and third stringer………very impressive. I wonder how green bay, pitt, colts, saints, giants, etc… woudl do without starting qb’s, im willing to bet anything they’d lose a lot more than 2 games without their starters- b/c they do so much more than Tom.

——————————————–

I hope you and many NFL teams keep thinking this way. It will guarantee the Pat’s keep winning.

1 4

9. “Congrats tom, you can get the team 2 more wins than a backup and third stringer………very impressive”

Actually, going from a 12-4 season to a 14-2/15-1 season is impressive.

It’s significantly harder to go from good-to-great than from mediocre-to-good. And staying at the “great” level is even more difficult.

10. Pliability. Kobe Bryant said he wished he paid closer attention to stretching as it would have reduced injuries.

It does.

11. Footballfanz says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:10 AM
    Yea he needs to work on those super difficult screens and slants. blah blah
    ===================

Did you even watch the Super Bowl or any other Pats games this season?

12. Footballfanz says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:10 AM

Seriously?

Please show me all of those “screen passes” in the Superbowl.

You do realize Brady was only second to Ryan in long passing this year- not yards after catch passes but actual yards in the air.

You are right about green bay, pitt, colts, saints and giants- they couldn’t win 12 games with their starters- so of course that somehow means Tom Brady sucks?

If those “mistake limiting, high percentage” throws are so easy and result in wins why doesn’t every team do it?

is it better to look cool playing and not win?

Yeah- you are right Tom Brady sucks. He is sucking his way to more Superbowl and Superbowl MVP wins right to the hall of fame.

I understand people not liking Brady- but at someplace you have to give him his do.

13. Yea he needs to work on those super difficult screens and slants. I mean Jimmy G dominated while he played in that offense too. So you know its gotta be super hard. Keep practicing those ‘high percentage’ passes you live off of.
    ________________________________________

70% of all passes in the NFL are less than 10 yards.

Over the last two years Brady had a higher QB air yards per attempt than Stafford, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Flacco.

Any other lies you need debunked?

14. To Win Super Bowl LII (2017-18 season) Odds

Patriots +500 = ALL DAY BABY!!!! TOO EASY

Then he retires with #6 and retires…

15. Hey, Footballfanz (more likely Footballcynic) Brady’s average yardage in air this season was better than Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Carr to name a few. What an ass.

16. Footballfanz says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:10 AM

Yea he needs to work on those super difficult screens and slants….
    ______
    At this point, comments like these literally bring a twinkle of joy to my day. I love imagining all the angry little people out there who scowled and turned off their TV when Brady pulled off the greatest comeback in NFL history.

**happy happy joy joy! **

17. Footballfanz says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:10 AM

Looking great for a game and a half in September is not the same as looking great over a long career, and in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Also, I don’t know if you noticed, but Belichick and McDaniels (plus any other coaches in the league with a brain) create an offensive game plan to maximize what a younger qb will be allowed to do to be successful. They’ve been around a while.

The small sample size and relevant game experience is not enough to go on at all.

Watch some of the passes Brady made in the Super Bowl and you’ll understand the level of difficulty involved…or more likely, you won’t.

18. Dak and Tom are the only quarterbacks who take their training seriously to maintain a higher level of effectiveness, at the quarterback position. That is probably why Dak Prescott is compared to Tom Brady, not only in stats, but in preparation and leadership.

19. I’m sure a trip to Brazil or Italy is also on the itenerary right before the start of the season. Reminds me of Usain Bolt who travels to Germany to see his doctor right before every major race.

20. “Yea he needs to work on those super difficult screens and slants. I mean Jimmy G dominated while he played in that offense too. So you know its gotta be super hard. Keep practicing those ‘high percentage’ passes you live off of.”

–So why can’t your QB/team do it?

I’m giving credit where credit is due, I just wish he wasn’t in my division.

-Bills fan

21. medialovesthecowboys says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:16 AM
    The way you Pats fans talk, you’d think you’re somehow on the team… Need to relax a little…

————————————————————-

They also think Tammy was born in Boston in the Old North Church…

22. psousa1 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:34 AM
    It does.
    ———————–
    Back when I still exercised in my middle years, and was getting problems, I looked into how to do warmups/stretches properly. Interestingly, I found a big study by the Norwegian Army that found on average it made no overall significant difference to the rate of exercise injuries. Whether it helps more as you get older is possible – the study was a multi-year one done in initial training, so younger people. Other sources/studies of the benefits are inconclusive – BMJ (British Medical Journal) study says it’s a waste of time too. My guess is Brady’s diet is as much a help and Giselle keeps him pliable.

23. I love the girlish name references for TB, I’ve got one for you, how does it make you feel that your team loses to a girl every year? Perhaps you should beg your team to get a girl at QB because the results couldn’t be worse.

24. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:41 AM

Sigh (try to picture it with a tinge of pity attached)….the straws you reach for are getting thinner and harder to find, Jets guy.

It must be difficult continually racking that brain in search of more to fit your agenda.

It just helps me enjoy those two Pats victories over the Jets every year a bit more knowing that your only recourse is to post pretend stories under fake pretenses.

25. Tommy has a voice coach and every day he practises his “LET’S GO” scream. How motivating. My junior high team did that a lot.
    __________________________________________

Cool story. He’s the best QB of all time and perhaps the best player in NFL history. You post comments on a sports website. Who do you think gets the last laugh?

26. The Giants got 2 days off before their playoff game and the receivers went to Miami to party. Result = lost playoff game.

KC players got the whole bye week off during the first round of playoffs. Result = lost playoff game.

The Pats used the bye week to work on their own problems before working on the given opponent for the division round, the Texans. Brady actually began working on the flight back from Miami on all 3 potential playoff opponents to get a head start on game preparation before the bye week had hardly started. Result = Super Bowl champion.

You can hate him and hate the Pats, but nobody in the league works harder than the Pats and Brady do.

27. babygaga19 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 12:59 PM

————–

You did that two years ago……last year…..not so much. Your team was playing golf before wildcard weekend….

28. Meanwhile, Big Ben will continue his daily regimen of Philly Cheese Steaks and donuts, and a walk from his kitchen to the couch.

29. My team is still laughing. We took Brady out twice last year with Brocky and Noodle Arm. Memba that?
    _________________________________________

The old, we beat you two years ago card huh? The fact is, the Donks didn’t make the playoffs this year and are trending downward. Yes, they won SB 50 with an awesome defense. Two years prior to that they were embarrassed in one of the most lopsided SB losses of all time. Since that time, the Patriots have won 2 SBs (including beating the team that embarrassed the Donkeys) and losing by one point in the AFCC game.

Advantage, Pats……but definitely still hold onto the 2015 season if it helps you sleep at night.