Steelers re-sign Anthony Chickillo

Getty Images

The Steelers aren’t under any great time pressure to wrap up deals with their exclusive rights free agents because those players are barred from moving to a new team unless the Steelers opt not to offer them contracts.

There’s also no reason not to take care of deals before moving on to more pressing business, a view the Steelers used when they re-signed kicker Chris Boswell earlier this month and one they employed again with linebacker Anthony Chickillo. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team has signed Chickillo to a new one-year deal.

Chickillo was a sixth-round pick in 2015 and spent some time on the team’s practice squad before making his regular season debut in October. He played seven games as a rookie and then appeared in 15 games while making seven starts in 2016.

Chickillo had 29 tackles, 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles while seeing time on both defense and special teams and should be in the mix in both areas again next season.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Steelers re-sign Anthony Chickillo”
  1. notwhoyouthinkitis says: Feb 14, 2017 1:15 PM

Quite a decent player for a 6th round pick.

2. citizenstrange says: Feb 14, 2017 1:34 PM

Until the Steelers can get a quarterback who can score more than 18 points in a playoff game consistently — 1 out of 6 doesn’t count — they have no realistic chance to go to the Super Bowl.

3. tedmurph says: Feb 14, 2017 2:21 PM

I remember when steeler fans were expecting a sack master/ball hawk on his way to Canton

4. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 14, 2017 2:37 PM

I remember Pats fans who didn’t have to worry about a tainted legacy from cheating.

5. connfyoozed says: Feb 14, 2017 2:39 PM

“Quite a decent player for a 6th round pick.”

Agree completely, but I don’t see him as a long-term solution as a starter as some seem to. I would still expect the Steelers to prioritize drafting a pass-rushing outside linebacker very high in the draft to complement Dupree and eventually replace Harrison.

I think that too many Steeler fans think that Chickillo is a future star. He is more like the Arthur Moats replacement… and that isn’t a bad thing or a criticism of Chickillo. He has a good future in Pittsburgh as a reserve LB and special teamer.

6. maust1013 says: Feb 14, 2017 3:02 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Feb 14, 2017 2:37 PM
    ===================

The same can’t be said for Steelers fans. I can’t remember any of them from the 60’s and the team has been tainted by the steroid stank since the 70’s when their fans started showing up.

7. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 14, 2017 4:43 PM

That’s right, maust. I forgot about the Steelers violating league rules in the 70’s resulting in huge fines and loss of multiple draft picks. How could I forget.

8. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 14, 2017 5:51 PM

maust1013 | Feb 14, 2017, 3:02 PM EST
    crownofthehelmet says:
    Feb 14, 2017 2:37 PM
    ===================

Steroid stank. You mean the one that never cost any draft picks or lost games. I ll take 46 years over 16 years snowflake.