Tom Brady says the “greatest ever” label doesn’t matter to him

Getty Images

Is Patriots quarterback Tom Brady the best player in NFL history? He doesn’t think so, mostly because he doesn’t think about those things.

Brady said this morning on PFT Live that he doesn’t think about his legacy, he just thinks about continuing to come back and work day in and day out.

“None of those things have ever mattered to me and it’s just — it’s hard for those things to even take up any space in my mind because they’ve never been of significance to me,” Brady said. “There have been so many great players that I’ve played with, that I’ve played against over the years.”

Brady is the only player in history to play in seven Super Bowls and the only player to win four Super Bowl MVP awards, but he said he actually believes that there are many players who would have had the same success if put in the same situation.

“Everyone is different, everyone has different teams they’ve played on, coaches they’ve played for,” Brady said. “I’ve been so blessed to play for the greatest coach at a time when our organization has done incredible things. I’ve played with the best teammates. Playing for Mr. Kraft and what his influence on the team has been. So I think there are so many players that if they were in my position and had all the opportunity I did, they would, I believe, accomplish so many of the same things.”

What matters to Brady isn’t how he’s remembered but his own memories.

“I just love working hard, I love being part of a team, I love working toward a common goal,” he said. “Being on the bus ride after the games, being in the team pictures, that’s what you’ll miss.”

Brady will leave it to others to call him the greatest of all time.

147 responses to “Tom Brady says the “greatest ever” label doesn’t matter to him

1. At least he is not a NERD stat-boy comic con football fan dominated by his Fairy Tale Football thoughts.

Appreciate the game and the players and have some respect for era’s, rule changes, and how stats in football don’t tell the whole story.

2. That’s ok Tom all intelligent football fans in existence will do it for you.

All hail the GOAT!

🙂

3. I love me some Tom Brady. My dog is even named Brady.

I can’t wrap my mind around the relatively new phenomenon that seems to be spreading like a virus via internet that everyone (all 7 billion people) should share the same opinion? That somehow if you have a fresh original view on something your suppose to be ashamed about it? That’s crazy.

Your life helped shape your view. I didn’t live your life. I lived my life. And my life helped shape my view. If we happen to have opposing view points it’s perfectly understandable and it’s expected.

If you are one of the Billions of people that are not patriots fans so you never really watched them and you feel that someone else is the greatest QB of all time, I’m cool with you. We can still hang out and talk football all you want.

4. Win humble is the Patriot way. The time for reflection is retirement and Brady is not done yet. Still looking forward, not looking back.

5 rings!!! Now on to the other hand.

5. Honestly, why should it matter? Look at the guys resume.

Do you really think he cares what anyone else thinks? Complete and total winner. Top to bottom.

People that even entertain this conversation anymore? Are just simply clueless. It’s pretty obvious who the best ever is, take your blinders off.

No need to discuss it.

6. Clearly his statements lend credence to the “system quarterback” chorus. Which I do not believe, but his statements made me go hmmm.

7. Pure class.

Montana is so jealous, he says Brady is the best ever before the SB, and then the way NE came back, Montana backpedaled out of jealousy, claiming no one can be called the greatest (even though Montana was considered the greatest in the past 20 years).

lmao

8. Incredibly humble. I don’t understand the hate on this guy.

————

Dissolution of the middle class, a massive economic recession, less opportunity than before, Millennials in basements with too much time on their hands who are naive and gullible believing a lying commissioner, etc.

That’s how and why.

Class and success is now reviled, while being a loser is somehow celebrated.

Our country is screwed.

9. 5 rings!!! Now on to the other hand.
    —–
    If you happen to be JPP then you are already on the other hand. Only 4 more to go.

10. matiberio says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:39 AM

Clearly you can’t see the difference between Tom Brady and the Cam Newtons of the world. Trust me TB 12 is so confident about where he stands, he knows he doesn’t need to scream it from the mountain tops. The Newtons, OBJ and every other athlete that plays for statistics need to tell you how great they are.

11. He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.

Judging individual players by how good their surrounding teams are is nonsensical.

12. As a Jets fan, I hate Brady. But as a football fan, it’s an honor and a privilege to watch one of the best players of all time. If he’s not one of the best, he is THE best.

13. matiberio says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:39 AM

——————–

14. I’m loathe to disagree with the GOAT, but I must. He’s wrong. He is the best to ever do it, hands down.

15. In the 4th quarter with the game on the line, who is better than this guy in NFL history? Regular season. Playoffs. Super Bowls. it doesn’t matter. This guy is MONEY in the 4th quarter and overtime.

16. We’ll handle that end of it for you number 12.

You just continue to enjoy winning football games and every time your name comes up we’ll thoroughly enjoy inserting “greatest football player of all time” into the context.

We’ll also revel in every broadcaster mentioning “greatest qb of all time”, “winingest qb of all time” every time we watch you play.

And then even when you’re done, for the rest of our lives, every game we watch, all other qbs will be placed on the Brady Scale of greatness for perspective.

Best of all, we’ll never again have to put up with certain unnamed contemporary pretenders being promoted as the best in the game. Life is beautiful.

17. tylawspick6 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:41 AM
    Pure class.

___________

Please provide a source for that. I never heard one word about Montana saying that and can’t seem to find it on the web. If Montana said that and went back on it the net should be full of stories about it but I can’t find a word about it.

18. The epitome of a team player. Always giving credit to his coaches and teammates for his success. You don’t see that very often in pro sports where most players demand the spotlight.

19. He’s polite, but if you look at his leaked emails from the deflategate situation he obviously cares more than he lets on. He wants to be the best ever.

———————

True, but I think his drive and determination to succeed at a very high level, is more about competition than it is to stroke his ego like Gomer Manning throwing so many times from the 2 yard line in domes to pad his stats.

I think there is a difference there.

20. Well said, Tommy.

If you put Dan Marino, Joe Montana or Johnny Unitas in Brady’s place, they would have done even better. Those are the three GOATs in my book.

They’re also not tainted by a cheating scandal.

21. Just a matter of time before the knuckle-draggers use this to announce that your 5 year old nephew could succeed in the magic “system” that mysteriously, somehow, no one can see or emulate. I don’t think they actually believe it, but they really have nothing else to claim–that’s all they can do now without coming on board as a fan of the player and they are not clear-headed enough for that.

Brady was just being self-deprecating and letting you know that he’s busy still playing and focuses on getting better rather than thinking about who is greater than who. That’s what the great ones do, not just Brady.

22. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:48 AM
    He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.

—————

What?

How good is his surrounding team? He scored 19 points in the 4th quarter with a bunch of cast offs on offense.

23. Brady in the postseason as a starter: 25-9, 5 championships, 7 conference titles, 15 seasons as a starter

Montana and Young COMBINED as starters: 24-14, 5 championships, 5 conference titles, 19 seasons starting

Thus Brady has been better than the Montana and Young COMBINED, in 4 fewer seasons

24. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:48 AM
    He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.

————-

Totally agree with that.

25. “It will be a sad day when he retires.

But it will also bring parity to the league.”

Lol what makes you think Belichick won’t be able to draft or find another good QB after Brady is gone? Unless Garrappollo decides to wait it out in which case the Pats already have one.

26. tylawspick6 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:57 AM

———————

I think there is a difference there.

————-

Totally agree with that.

27. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:48 AM
    He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.

It’s amazing how many current and former PLAYERS and current and former COACHES disagree with you

But what do they know

28. God blesses the NFL with the modern day DiMaggio. Brady, like DiMaggio is cool under pressure and at his best in the clutch, he is modest and likeable, he’s a winner and he even has the supermodel wife.

Rather than celebrate their good fortune, the odious, slime ball, stuffed suit of a commissioner decides to show everyone how powerful he is by scheming to destroy Brady’s reputation with lies and false accusations.

Lieing Roger is not just a bad person, but he is unquestionably the worst business person to ever run a billion dollar organization. He puts his own ego above the interests of the league and if he remains in power it’s just a matter of time before Mark Cuban is proven correct.

29. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:48 AM
    He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.
    ________________________

30. ikeclanton says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:00 AM

————————————

Its ok for them to say that. But since Brady has excelled in so many different systems now I do always wish they would clarify which one they mean.

Nothing to do with Brady but my 5 year old nephew would shock you.

31. canedaddy says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:58 AM
    Well said, Tommy.

They’re also not tainted by a cheating scandal.

———————————-

Not sure about Unitas but the other two both were. And not made up ones either.

32. I take Brady at his word, he said there are so many players who if they were put in his position (that is in the Patriots system), they too would have similar success. Many knowledgeable people believe that too, myself included.

33. I’ve been watching football since 1960 and a Pats fan. The only players I’ve seen on his level though not necessarily better are Jim Brown, Joe Montana and Lawrence Taylor.

34. He’s a good man and as many of players from all over the NFL have said, a really great guy. Even players like Freeney who said I wanted to hate him but I just couldn’t .
    As far as his play, the smartest toughest mentally, and incredibly durable . Champions like Simms Aikman, Warner, Irvin , Theismann, Kelley, Ray Lewis, Roethlisberger etc call him the GOAT. EOS.

35. For those of you who want to denegrate Brady because of the great team he has around him, It should be noted that his entire offense included just ONE player who was drafted in the first round

QB Brady – 6th
    OG Mason – 4th
    OT Cannon -5th
    FB Devlin – UDFA
    RB – Blunt – UDFA
    RB – White -4th
    RB – Lewis – UDFA

Even Gronk was a 2nd round pick.

Those were the major players of a team that was the 2nd best offense in the league during the regular season, and averaged 35 ppg in 3 playoff victories.

36. This guy is a great role model. Hard work. Perseverance. Thick skin. Good friend, teammate, and familyman.

I could use his course on diet and exercise. I had pop tarts for breakfast and hate to stretch.

37. canedaddy says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:58 AM

————————————————————
    Yes, Marino had it really tough working for that stiff Don Shula, and Montana was in an even worse situation with that hack Bill Walsh.

38. electricboogalo says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:40 AM
    He is probably the greatest of the modern era, but the fact remains: the Pats win with or without him.

—————————————-

The Pats have won a few games without Brady. You can fool some teams for awhile. You can’t fool the league for 15 years. Brady is great! With Brady they have a chance to win the SB, without him they have a chance to make the playoffs.

39. jag1959 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:57 AM

tylawspick6 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:41 AM
    Pure class.
    ___________
    ———————————
    jag1959, I can explain – all the years everyone said Montana was the GOAT, Montana himself doesn’t appear to have denied it but quietly basked in the glory. But as soon as dozens of top players and explayers came out after SB 51 and proclaimed Brady the GOAT, Montana says “ooh, I don’t think you can call anyone that, different eras etc”. That would at least seem highly suggestive that Joe is jealous. Montana also said a little negative stuff about Brady during deflategate, which was incredibly rich given the 49ers silicon-sprayed jerseys, sticky Rice and Headsetgate helped his dynasty whilst deflategate was a lie.

40. One of Brady’s best traits is that he comes back after adversity. I am not just talking about deflategate or any of that nonsense.

The way he came back after the KC loss in 2014.

The way he came back against the Ravens in the 2014 playoffs.

They way he came back against Seattle in the 2014 super bowl.

The way he came back after sitting four weeks and having no contact with the team in 2016.

They way he came back against Atlanta in the 2016 super bowl after throwing a pick six and being down 25 points.

41. electricboogalo says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:40 AM

You sure about that? 🙂

List of playoff appearances without Tom Brady:

42. Problem with QB’s is their stats are 100% dependent on someone else. Brady hasn’t caught a pass or or tallied a YAC. (Though 23 rushing TD’s is pretty impressive) Yes, he throws a great ball, performs under pressure like none I’ve seen and is a winner & a leader. Greatest QB ever, sure. GOAT? Can’t touch Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Walter Payton or Jerry Rice.

43. trajan2448 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:36 AM

——————————————-

Greatest “QB” yes. Greatest “player” no.

44. electricboogalo says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:40 AM

—————————————–
    So which is it? Pats don’t win without him. Pats fans just love to make their team invincible regardless of who’s on the field, it’s disgusting.

45. Where’s Keyshawn Johnson? According to him Brady’s receivers won’t make it to other teams’ 53 man rosters. That’s why you are the GOAT, Tom. Without Gronk and just using your scrubs you win the SB while other QBs have their super weapons. Julio Jones vs James White. Imagine if you have Julio Jones instead. Tom Brady is the GOAT. We’ll brag for you.
    Honestly, which QB can do that comeback with those players Brady had. Brady as usual inspired and dragged his team to win. Brady has no flinch in him. Haters, can your QB do what Brady did? That will be a good mental exercise for you.

46. If he hadn’t learned it before the “read the rule book” comment directed at Harbaugh, he certainly knows now that there is no benefit whatsoever to saying anything controversial or edgy at all, ever.

Imagine if instead of “read the rule book”, he had said something like “Coach Saban at Alabama ran that same formation stuff successfully in a game vs LSU, so we tried to emulate what worked for them”.

47. Fact. Brady is still fried because he wasn’t drafted until the sixth round. For all you Brady Kool aide drinkers, you better believe it matters a GREAT DEAL that he be considered the best. His words to the contrary are mere falacy.

48. @ factschecker says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:44 AM

5 rings!!! Now on to the other hand.
    —–

___

Hi ho!!!! where is the guy with the drum for the rim shot?

49. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:48 AM

He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.

—————————-

Which quarterback is better?

How do you judge a quarterback without taking into account his surrounding team? A quarterback doesn’t generate stats without some people to block, run, and/or catch for him.

There are very few examples of quarterbacks that have been as consistently good as Brady has been throughout his career.

50. babygaga19 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:28 AM
    Brady is GOAT***

*Cheater

Awww, that’s cute, but your kind has predictably evaporated in the face of obvious ability and greatness. You just seem silly now.

Is recess indoors today?

OG Mason – 4th
    OT Cannon -5th
    FB Devlin – UDFA
    RB – Blunt – UDFA
    RB – White -4th
    RB – Lewis – UDFA

Even Gronk was a 2nd round pick.

———————————————–
    Nice way to pick and choose.

Gronk will go down as the greatest TE in history so there goes that argument.

52. Brady’s right. He’s the only QB in history to play 16 years for a top coach and owner. He’s one of the GOATs but there are other all time great QBs who would have similar success in his place.

53. matiberio says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:39 AM
    believe, but his statements made me go hmmm.

News flash…every qb is a system qb. Some are better at it than others. Peyton is the ultimate system qb. Joe never succeeded without the west coast offense. Where brady excellent is.his system changes all the time with the personel he has.
    After this year. I am a believer best I have ever seen and I have been watching nfl for 45 years.

54. What’s he supposed to say? “yeah, I think about it all the time”? I’m sure it matters to him on some level, but I’ll bet you it matters a whole lot more to Joe Montana.

On a side note I also think Peyton Manning really misses being in the discussion.

55. htown1035 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:25 AM

Nice way to pick and choose.

Gronk will go down as the greatest TE in history so there goes that argument.
    ===================

Bangs on someone else for picking and choosing, picks and chooses.
    Irony 1
    Troll 0

56. Classy of Brady to admit the obvious. Now if he’ll just acknowledge that 3 of the Patriots Super Bowls were gifts from the opposing teams or refs…

57. Brady is just happy and thankful he has a job. He was 199th pick. I think in one of the films he said he’s thankful he doesn’t have to sell cars anymore which might had been his future if he wasn’t chosen. Brady knows he is not a freaky athlete and had to fight and work hard to be on the field playing. He had to compete for everything and that is his perpetual mental mode. He doesn’t get comfortable because he knows there’s always somebody better than him. He watches Aaron Rodgers, watched Peyton, watches the young ones. He knows they are more gifted than him that’s why even BB said that Brady gives every ounce of his blood, sweat, and tears every single day to win. His weakness is his strength. Some freaky, gifted athletes are nonchalant about their opportunities. The scrubs including Brady knows they are lucky to have a job eventhough they have to outwork even themselves to have it.

58. I think the Super Bowl championships mean more to him than be recognized as the best. I don’t think he would trade his five rings for acknowledgement that he had a better career than Peyton Manning.

With respect to the Gronkowski argument, it’s clear that he would have been a fist round pick, but for the injury at Arizona that cost him a year. Also, anyone who believes that Gronkowski is expendable because they won a Super Bowl without him is nuts. I’m pretty confident that if the Patriots has a healthy Gronk, Atlanta would be forced to play more zone and be more accountable with Gronk and Edelman would have had more room. For that reason (and his team friendly contract), Gronk stays and Bennett goes.

59. htown1035 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:25 AM

Nice way to pick and choose.

Gronk will go down as the greatest TE in history so there goes that argument.
    ————————————————————
    Pick and choose? He was showing you the offense on the field in the playoffs this year.

Yes, Gronk is a stud, but his contributions in this year’s playoffs were some Jason Garrett style clapping and shotgunning a beer during the victory parade.

60. thun5der says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:25 AM
    Brady has averaged 13.8 wins/yr during the 15 yrs he has been the starting QB, this includes post season. 13.8 !! any questions ?

—-

Yes, I do. It’s been said by some here that many different quarterbacks could do that, that getting 14 wins per year and winning 5 Super Bowls is sort of “plug and play” with the magic system over there…

Is that true?

61. Great article. He is clearly the best of this generation and rules. Its very hard to say he could of been as successful back when the DBs were allowed to put their hands all over the WRs etc. The rules have changed and evolved over the years that comparing to the Montana, Kelly, Marino, Young, and even early Favre days the rules were much more favorable to the D. But he is clearly above and beyond the best of his playing era.
    This coming from a Miami fan that hates to see the Pats win. But the facts are what they are. If you want to be the Champ you must beat the Champ !!

62. tylawspick6 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:57 AM
    “He’s polite, but if you look at his leaked emails from the deflategate situation he obviously cares more than he lets on. He wants to be the best ever.”

That’s just silly. Any player that doesn’t want to be the best ever should take a seat and let the ones who are properly motivated play the game.

What leaked from Brady’s emails was him telling a friend that he didn’t think Payton would play more than 1 or 32 years and that he intended to continue playing much longer. Nowhere in those stolen emails did he even suggest that he feels he is the best.

There is a huge difference between wanting to be the best and telling someone that you already are the best.

63. las0023 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:59 AM

—-

Curiously missing from your post–don’t you have to help get your team ALL THE WAY to the end of many Super Bowls to even have your point as a subject of debate at all? You do get that, right?

The fact that anyone would even say “Oh yeah?!? What about these 3 Super Bowls the Patriots won at the end?” and literally, anything after that which could be considered a knock on Brady in any way makes you sound nuts.

Bill Russell won 11 of a possible 13 NBA titles in his career, and you’d be the guy that says, “Yeah, I didn’t think he deserved like 5 of those because of the refs, man. See, I told you, he’s not that good…”

64. It’s been said before; Brady has a crystal clear image of where he stands. He told Kraft on the day he was drafted that it was the best football decision Kraft had ever made. I’m sure lots of players have made similar bravado driven statements. Manzeil comes to mind.
    But no one has acted on it like Brady.
    I think it was the virtuoso violinist Itzach Perlman that said he still practices 3 hours a day at 70 years old so that even when he is bad he is good. That’s Brady.
    He knows the game is evolving. And so is his body. So he needs to constantly adapt to keep those two waves of change in alignment. No one does it better.

65. las0023 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:59 AM

————————————————————-
    I can’t keep track anymore. Which ones were the gifts from the refs? Was it that Steeler win over Seattle?

66. The Patriots won 3 games without Tom Brady this year.

They would be very fortunate to win 3 the rest of the way if that remained the case.

The end. Tee Hee Patriot Hater got powned again. 🙂

67. hehateme2 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 12:45 PM

He’s just a system QB. Dime a dozen.
    The closest he’ll get to a goat is by visiting a farm. Baaa

That’s 5 time Super Bowl Champion 4 time Super Bowl MVP, holder of multiple league passing records and and winningest in history system QB to you.

Address the Greatest properly boy! 🙂

68. The Patriots situation is unique. 3 calls outside of their hands gave them the game. The Tuck Rule, throwing from the 1 over the middle and trying to pass when a FG would win the game.
    ———————

curiously missing from your post–don’t you have to help get your team ALL THE WAY to the end of many Super Bowls to even have your point as a subject of debate at all? You do get that, right?

69. It’s going to be a really long offseason for the haters…… Can’t you just picture them? All smug and assured when Atlanta was up by 25 points? Think about it…..Chippy was in his glory I am sure! And then as Brady brought them back they knew…..they had seen it before…..and they knew…. Brady would not be denied….. By the time the game went to overtime they were just praying that somehow Atlanta would win the coin toss…..but they knew….. Once Brady took the field…..the poor haters knew in their hearts that is was over…..

Yes haters…..it’s going to be a very long offseason for you….

70. las0023 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 12:53 PM

————————————————————-
    A correctly called play in the divisional round “gave them” a win on the road in the AFC title game and a SB as huge underdogs? That is some fancy anaylsis right there.

The Patriots have thrown from the 1 dozens of times through the years. Do you know why they were not considered gifts to the opponent? Because the Patriots scored on those plays.

Finally, Atlanta was passing to try to get closer where they’d have a chance to score a TD, or have a shorter FG attempt after getting stuffed for a loss on the first down running play. I imagine if they had picked up yards running on 1st down, they’d have tried that again on 2nd down.

OK, I’m done here.

71. lengai says:
    Feb 14, 2017 12:58 PM

Dan Marino, Deacon Jones, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, on and on and on…5 Superbowls doesn’t count since Charles Haley already did that.

=================================

Come on, defensive players don’t count in the NFL.

72. Anybody that calls Brady or anyone else the greatest does not know the game. But I do believe there should be a special place in canton for the special ones and Brady would get into that group. There wouldn’t be that many players in there. 5 or six spring to mind but I don’t know enough to really go back in time to the Red Grange’s of this world and the old originals that got the game up and running like Hunt and Hallas. Never been to the Hall but I would certainly make a fuss of the true greats. Apart from the owners / founders mentioned above and a couple more that helped the birth of the game it would be mostly players the reason we watch the game and a smattering of coaches.

73. It was the right call, but the stupidest rule, which they eventually changed.

“Over the Middle” was the key. Bootleg…fade route…not a high risk play on 2nd down.

They didn’t need a TD or closer FG attempt. They were well with range.

————————————————————-

74. mmack66 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:15 AM

—————————-

Regardless, and I’m a big time Pats hater, Brady is an exceptional QB and well worth a place on the NFL QB Mount Rushmore.

75. Declaring the world flat does not make it less round. Fact :theTitans (and others )had more players selected for the Pro Bowl than the Pats.

76. Of course it does. He is an arrogant, narcissistic SOB who can’t stand criticism (or legal hits, for that matter).

Good news is, he isn’t the GOAT. Can’t make that comparison anyway. Why teams are afraid to rush this guy I will never figure out.

77. For those of you who want to denegrate Brady because of the great team he has around him, It should be noted that his entire offense included just ONE player who was drafted in the first round

QB Brady – 6th
    OG Mason – 4th
    OT Cannon -5th
    FB Devlin – UDFA
    RB – Blunt – UDFA
    RB – White -4th
    RB – Lewis – UDFA

Even Gronk was a 2nd round pick.

____________________________________________
    You do realize this argument is nullified by the fact that Brady himself was a 6th round pick? If the round a player was picked in determines how good he is then it is impossible for Brady to be the best ever. These players are obviously better than the rounds they were picked in, just like Brady. There is a multitude of reasons for why players are picked in the lower rounds and much of that has nothing to do with how good they are at actually playing football. Here are the reasons the players were drafted as low as they were or not drafted at all.

Edelman – he was a QB in college, nobody knew his talent as a receiver and he was given time to develop with the Patriots.
    Hogan – lacrosse player at Penn State and then played 1 season of football at Monmouth. Nobody had a clue what kind of talent he had.
    Mitchell – injury concerns
    Bennett – character concerns
    Tuney – He is a guard so 3rd round is typical
    Andrews – Center/ Was actually a pretty good college player. Not sure why he was undrafted.
    Mason – Guard/ played in a run first offense that focused on the option and an offensive style that made it hard to translate how he would do in the NFL.
    Cannon – health issues
    Devlin – Fullback, they haven’t been so necessary in the NFL of late
    Blount – Character concerns
    White – was a very productive RB in college. Not sure why he was drafted as low as he was.
    Lewis – Diminutive size. Very productive RB in college.

78. ghostlight13 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 11:00 AM

So by this I am to understand that Jim Brown, Walter Payton & Barry Sanders hiked, handed off and blocked for themselves? Jerry Rice COULD throw AND catch a pass to himself but Brady needed his mates to win?

Stop, please. It’s embarrassing how hard people try to denigrate Brady, to the point of ludicrous. Except golfers, pole vaulters, bowlers etc ALL team athletes depend on teammates.

79. reddzen says:
    Feb 14, 2017 3:21 PM

clearly you didn’t watch the Houston or Atlanta games where Brady was smacked around like a rag doll and just kept getting back up.

80. This is wild stuff. Who cares if Brady is the GOAT? His off the charts career, even tainted by cheating, speaks for itself. I find it hugely amusing that his basement fan boys are so consumed by this. I guess if Brady is GOAT, that makes you GOAT in your myopic, delusional, lack of self-esteem minds because he plays for your team?? Wow, just wow! You boys are living in the land of make believe. Maybe if you spent more time with your family, friends, advancing your career instead of your 24/7 Brady worship, you would actually have a real life. Try it. You might be pleasant surprised!

81. factschecker says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:44 AM
    5 rings!!! Now on to the other hand.
    —–

——–

I almost hate to admit it, but that is the funniest thing i’ve read all day

82. Brady is actually speaking from his heart. Prior to this last super bowl, Terry Bradshaw was tied for the most super bowl wins ever. But you never hear his name come up in the GOAT arguments. That’s because of the teams he played on and the teammates he had. I still think Bradshaw is underrated, but having the most rings didn’t make Terry the greatest.

83. “If I had the first pick in an all-time historical draft, I think I’d take Elway over Brady, but that’s because I saw Elway make more jaw-dropping plays than I’ve never seen from Brady.”

Brady might be as good or better than any other QB who ever played. I’ve watched since 1960, and since the early 1980s from Denver. So I watched most Bronco games. I am a Packers fan, so watched all Packer games. I might take Rodgers over Brady, but that’s my dislike for McCarthy talking. I do honestly think if you switched McCarthy and Belichick, there’d be no question that Rodgers would be considered the best.

I wouldn’t take Elway because even with his great athleticism, he was never consistently accurate, and made dumb mistakes more often than other great QBs. I wouldn’t even consider him a top 10 QB.

I wouldn’t take Favre, even though he was much more accurate than Elway, because he made a lot of dumb decisions, resulting in a lot of interceptions. If any QB can take credit for winning or losing a game, it’s Favre.

Too bad Greg Cook was injured early in 1969. He played most of the year with a torn rotator cuff and still led the AFL in passing as a rookie. He was also big and athletic.
    He would very likely be in the discussion.

84. electricboogalo says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:40 AM

==========

Not really. Pats are only 18-19 in the Brady era when he isn’t starting with zero playoff appearances.

85. hehateme2 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 12:45 PM

He’s just a system QB. Dime a dozen.
    The closest he’ll get to a goat is by visiting a farm. Baaa

==========

Yea your right system QB.. Jay Cutler could have won all those SB’s with those Hall of Fame laden rosters….

oh wait, Pats are only 18-19 in Brady era without Brady starting…on second thought…

86. What?

How good is his surrounding team?
    —————

Extremely. It made the Super Bowl. Can’t do that without a good team. Having the #1 scoring Defense in the NFL helps a lot.

87. And yet you are judging Brady and other individual players when you say he isn’t “even the best in the NFL right now” and somehow that’s not nonsensical?
    ———————-

You completely misread that statement. What it means is that just because Montana, Brady, etc have been on good teams their entire careers, that doesn’t suddenly mean they become better than superior QBs on worse teams.

In fact, ever since Belichick rebuilt the Patriots and started Brady, they’ve gone 14-6 without him. 14-6. It’s not Brady winning those games.

If Brady was what was causing all those wins, then his team would collapse when they lose him. But that doesn’t happen. They just keep on winning.

88. Which quarterback is better?
    —————

Aaron Rodgers is better. And it quite frankly isn’t even close. Brady is what you get when you take away Rodgers’ arm, accuracy, quick feet, pocket presence, ability to extend plays, rushing ability, and ability to throw while running to his left.

Just because Brady is on better teams nearly every single season doesn’t suddenly make Brady better than Rodgers.

89. veddermn8 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 4:50 PM

——————————

Could you explain where you get your information? To my knowledge, since he took over the starting spot, he’s only missed games in 2008 and 2016, with the other QBs going 13-6 in those games.

90. revelation123:
    I don’t like admitting it as a Viking fan, but you are right about Rodgers. He is better than Brady. Out of necessity Rodgers has mastered the art of keeping plays alive by scrambling around, make accurate passes without even planting his feet, and has turned the Hail Mary, a high risk-high reward play, into a bonafide skill. Brady can do none of those things. But then again, when you play for a franchise like the Patriots and for a coach like Bellichick, you don’t have to…

91. djvh2:
    Say what you will about Elway, but he was one of the most clutch quarterbacks to ever play the game. And he dragged HORRIBLE Broncos teams to 3 Superbowls. That should put him in the GOAT conversation.

92. It’s funny that in one of Joe Montana’s recent interviews, his wife interjected that he is always calling himself the greatest at home. Poor guy is still trying to cling to that feeling, just like the stick-um which Jerry Rice publicly admitted to using.

93. Ghostlight13:
    Tom Brady has caught a pass or more with yac. One pass play is sometimes used from one year in a game against Philly. He had a pass thrown to him and he took off running down the sideline for a good pickup. It must have felt quite embarrassing to the Philly defensive players.

94. I think Brady sincerely doesn’t care about all this GOAT stuff. Apparently, his philosophy of life is based on a book called The Four Agreements, which are:

Be impeccable with your word
    Don’t take anything personally
    Don’t make assumptions
    Always do your best

According to the second agreement, what other people say is about them, not you. If you immunize yourself to other’s views, you can’t be victimized by them. I think this is the key to Brady’s ability to put aside the noise of Deflategate, and it’s also why the debate about the GOAT issue has no real significance for him.

And for crying out loud, what is this compulsion among sportswriters (and some fans) about best this and best that, anyway? The instant Super Bowl 51 ended, sports commentators said Brady was now indisputably the QB GOAT and now the question was was whether he’s the greatest football player at any position.

It’s all just stirring the pot, trying to get clicks and eyeballs. God forbid these people should actually study games and Xs and Os and spend real time and effort to analyze games, teams and competitive trends. Why bother with real journalism and analysis when it’s so easy to treat football as sports TMZ? This is another one of the things that is turning people off football.

95. steelcurtainn says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:45 PM

Don’t worry shady brady. Your not the greatest ever, of course, unless you live in N.E. The rest of us no better. Your stained legacy will never allow that.
    ————————————————————-
    Says the Steeler fan who excuses the team’s raging steroid history and considers those ill-gotten SB titles as totally legit.

96. vikeyvike says:
    Feb 14, 2017 10:14 PM

————————————————————-
    Oh please. He’s not even remotely in the conversation.

97. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 7:29 PM

————————————————————-
    I didn’t see a lot of these skills on display against Atlanta. Maybe he’s only the greatest QB ever against Detroit?

98. Clemson won the NC, Alabama won the recruiting title, The Patriots won the Super Bowl, it’s about 2 months before the draft, so what are we to do until then?

Argue.

What’s wrong with that?

99. revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 9:48 AM

He’s not even the best QB in the NFL right now, let alone all time.

—————————————————————revelation123 says:
    Feb 14, 2017 7:29 PM

————————————————————

When Green Bay played Atlanta, they ran into a “buzz saw” and Rodgers was helpless. When that “buzz saw” tried to do the same to the Pats, Brady and the Pats toughened up and cut the teeth off that saw, and showed Atlanta what a real buzz saw was. Brady>Rodgers no contest.

100. Oh I see a Cris Carter clone with the mid west man crush on Aaron Rodgers is being celebrated again. Carter was famous on ESPN for saying, “Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the league, bar none”. Sorry Cris, and other Rodgers’ man crushers, but the numbers/rings just don’t add up. Rodgers may be the best thrower in the league, I’ll give you that, but being a QB is so much more than being able to throw a football through a 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood.

As for Cool Joe, can you imagine what the Pats would be like if they has a receiver like Jerry Rice in his prime? Just look back at 2007 with Randy Moss as Brady’s wide receiver. With the exception of Gronk, are there any HOF receivers there? Brady may end up creating one in Julian Edelman but he is no exactly the athletic prototype the Jerry Rice was.

101. Tom Brady has FIVE Gold Medals and TWO Silver Medals.

Joe Montana has FOR Gold Medals only

Five Golds plus Two Silvers is way, way better than only Four Golds.

End of story. Time to move over Joe. You’ve been passed.

102. Sure, but Montana only played 9 years for a Super Bowl contender, Brady’s played 16. Also, Brady never played teams as good as the 80s Bears, Redskins or Belichick Giants.

———————–

Tom Brady has FIVE Gold Medals and TWO Silver Medals.

Joe Montana has FOR Gold Medals only

Five Golds plus Two Silvers is way, way better than only Four Golds.

End of story. Time to move over Joe. You’ve been passed.