Anthony Lynn: I’m not a players’ coach

AP

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn took a job as an assistant under Rex Ryan with the Jets in 2009 and remained a key part of Ryan’s staffs right up to the point when he became the interim head coach when Ryan was fired by the Bills last year.

Working for Ryan as an assistant head coach prepared Lynn for his promotion “by helping me see the big picture,” but Ryan’s personality didn’t change the way Lynn approaches the job. Lynn said he doesn’t have the same kind of closeness in his relationships with players that Ryan developed over the years and that he has gotten “the most out of [players] because of fear.”

“I would never call myself a players’ coach,” Lynn said, via ESPN.com. “But I think the real players, they crave the discipline. They crave the accountability, and that’s what I’m going to hold you to. We’re going to operate that way. And guys that don’t like it, they won’t be around.”

Lynn did say that he feels more balanced after working for Ryan and that he feels neither a players’ coach nor a dictator-type coach can survive for a long time because players wind up tuning them out. That may be the case, but the trait shared by most long-term coaches is that they win a lot more than they lose as a record like that lessens most personality concerns.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Los Angeles Chargers, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Anthony Lynn: I’m not a players’ coach”
  1. blitzinc43 says: Feb 15, 2017 9:51 AM

As a close friend of the organization its looking like Lynn is becoming Todd Bowles 2.0

2. jjackwagon says: Feb 15, 2017 10:29 AM

Chargers head coach…wow, just think about that for a minute.
    I know there are only 32 of these jobs but with moving, having no stadium, no fan base, and an aging QB
    this one has to be close to being 32 of 32.

3. Kapodaco says: Feb 15, 2017 10:32 AM

Will be interesting to see if this correlates with success or not. The Chargers have a lot of talent on the team, despite the lack of success.

4. mongo3401 says: Feb 15, 2017 10:54 AM

From RB coach who had a proven RB , McCoy, dropped in his lap. To a one game head coach, recommended by Ryan, to HC? Sorry, I don’t see how he is qualified.

5. kfoyo808 says: Feb 15, 2017 10:56 AM

They have to become winners again. Mr. Rivers is on the tail end…still very productive, but career high INTs this year. His heyday was 08-10 and 13. They need to rely on run game and the D needs to be rebuilt. 438 pts on D last year. Great that they scored 410…but hard to win when you give up almost 4 TDS per game.

6. joetoronto says: Feb 15, 2017 11:44 AM

You have to be a players coach in Buffalo and you have to overpay, that’s your only hope of attracting players to that dump of a town and team.

7. imyourhuckelberrythatsjustmygame says: Feb 15, 2017 12:35 PM

Tell us what kind of coach you are after you coach your first game. Wow!

8. buckyhamm says: Feb 15, 2017 1:42 PM

First off fear is a great motivator for a little while but then it wears off.

Second the only reason this guy got hired is he’s willing to work cheap, and the one thing I know about Spanos is he’s CHEAP !

9. bobthebillsfan says: Feb 15, 2017 1:47 PM

I watched “Troy Aikman: A Football Life” last night. If you want to see the impact of a players coach on a team (in this case a negative impact) watch this and see what happens after Jerry Jones replaces Jimmy Johnson with Barry Switzer. Talk about a mistake.

Johnson was not a player coach Somehow, I don’t think Bill Belichick is either. After watching Rex’s miscues, I’m not sure I would want a so called players coach leading my team.

10. vikings1234 says: Feb 15, 2017 1:55 PM

^ I’ve seen that episode. That is also when Jerrah took over the GM role. It was the start of a 20 plus year run of mediocrity.

I agree on the player coach aspect of what you said.

11. jonwill57 says: Feb 15, 2017 1:58 PM

@ kfoyo808 says:
    Feb 15, 2017 10:56 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would bet there’s a direct correlation between the offensive turnovers and the points allowed by the defense. Rivers had 21 ints, some of which were game losers! The offense also had 12 fumbles. Yes, the defense wasn’t great but 36 turnovers, 36 sacks allowed isn’t very good offense and puts pressure on the defense.