T.O. takes aim at Cris Carter

Getty Images

Not many Hall of Famers who believe Terrell Owens shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame have come forward to declare their beliefs publicly. One that has proclaimed his opposition to Owens has received a pointed response from Owens.

Appearing on WFAN with Mike Francesa, Owens took aim at Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter.

“Even you think about guys that have gone and really tried to attack my character and called me a flawed candidate, a guy like Cris Carter. Trust me, I’m better than Cris Carter,” Owens said. “I’ll tell him that. He knows that I’m not a fan of him. . . .

“Don’t throw stones when you live in a glass house. He wants me to wait because he had to wait. I did more with less. I was better than Cris Carter. So he shouldn’t mention anything about anybody, especially me, about being a flawed candidate when here’s a guy who got released, flunked three drug tests from Philly — cocaine and alcohol addiction — and then there was somewhere down the road he’s telling guys to ask somebody to be a fall guy. What kind of character is that? So c’mon man. C’mon.”

Owens was referring to Carter’s comments at the Rookie Symposium regarding the importance of having a “fall guy” who will take the rap if/when wrongdoing occurs. Those comments came after Carter made it to Canton.

Regardless, the criticism of Carter fits with Owens’ broader objection that he’s being accused of having bad character without clear, unequivocal facts of things that would suggest bad character. As I’ll point out in a separate post, it could make for an interesting scene if/when Owens ever gets enough votes to make it to the Hall of Fame.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
50 Responses to “T.O. takes aim at Cris Carter”
  1. huck222 says: Feb 17, 2017 6:32 AM

Some of these “uncle Tom’s” need to be quiet with their pathetic selves…

2. brady2gronktd says: Feb 17, 2017 6:35 AM

He’s right y’know

3. runningoutofboundsisforgringos says: Feb 17, 2017 6:36 AM

Put Owens in the Jerk Hall Of Fame

4. vincentvega513 says: Feb 17, 2017 6:38 AM

Well he’s gotcha there, Chris.

5. Indybear says: Feb 17, 2017 6:40 AM

Sometimes silence is the greatest revenge of all.

6. zenoracledba says: Feb 17, 2017 6:47 AM

Being right does not necessarily make you happy. You get more bees with honey…I’m a big 2 fan, but the guy needs to play the political game and that will give him a better chance to get in..this approach of alienating the hall is going to hurt his chances

7. 6thsense10 says: Feb 17, 2017 6:51 AM

Cris Carter is one if the least self aware commenter in the NFL. He’s not tossing ricks in that glass house of his…he’s throwing around boulders.

8. tonebones says: Feb 17, 2017 6:54 AM

Chris Carter made his team better. Terrell Owens made his team worse. I don’t care what either did away from the football field.

9. k0mbucha says: Feb 17, 2017 6:57 AM

T.O is spot on concerning C.C considering Carter was a me 1st player especially during his time with the Vikings when he would cause friction with Dante Culpepper when he felt was though he wasn’t getting the ball enough.

T.O deserves to be voted in the hall, but considering its now a popularity contest like the Pro bowl is the voters who have never played a down and have personal agendas will never vote him in.

10. sandersmarcus10 says: Feb 17, 2017 7:02 AM

Lol get a “fall guy”

11. karmathaitch says: Feb 17, 2017 7:03 AM

That’s why your not in Canton my friend. Your good at pointing out everyone else flaws but your own.

12. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Feb 17, 2017 7:06 AM

T.O. deserves to be in the HOF at some point.
    There is a wait because of the log jam of receivers. Players like Art Monk, who was number 2 in receptions when he retired and Andre Reed who was number 2 in receptions and number 3 in yardage when he retired both had to wait. Jerry Rice , number 1 in both got to leapfrog over the logjam and rightfully so. TO is not Jerry Rice. Get in line and start acting like an adult. Your time will come.

13. otheirony says: Feb 17, 2017 7:07 AM

I can’t believe I’m writing this….But I agree wholeheartedly with Owens. Carter should shut up. Personally, I never felt Carter was a HOF WR. There’s more to the game than numbers and therein lies the crux of the matter.

Owens should have been a first ballot recipient. Yeah, he had issues. Who doesn’t. Never arrested, had a great career. His Super Bowl performance was MVP worthy.
    Btw, I’m not, nor ever was, a t.o fan. But this is wrong.

14. fullbacksarepeopletoo says: Feb 17, 2017 7:08 AM

Uggh. T.O is not helping his case by attacking people’s credibility.

15. dxfiler says: Feb 17, 2017 7:09 AM

Cris Carter has NO credibility here. None. Zip. Nada.

TO is a hall of famer. The end.

16. dseiler49 says: Feb 17, 2017 7:10 AM

I’m so damn tired of hearing about T.O. A lot of great playersite get snubbed year in and year out. This crybaby just needs to go away, would be nice if the media just stopped talking about him.

17. nhpats says: Feb 17, 2017 7:10 AM

Owens is right!!

18. magnumpimustache says: Feb 17, 2017 7:15 AM

Was he accused of double murder?

Did he fail to produce his white suit?

He is # 2 and 3 on the all time lists.

He should not have to wait behind Polian Jones and Dungy.

19. seabrawk12 says: Feb 17, 2017 7:16 AM

Don’t care for either as far as personal morale, but I can’t picture anyone taking Carter over Owens if they had the two to choose from.

20. infectorman says: Feb 17, 2017 7:22 AM

He’s right.
    He was much better than Fall guy.

TO is a HOFer as much, end of story, the media ruins everything with their gooey feelings and cheesy, self-righteous vendettas.

When I turn on the TV on the weekend, it ain’t to watch a reporter play sports.

21. vikingdoode says: Feb 17, 2017 7:23 AM

This is why voters won’t vote for him even if his numbers and how he played his position. My opinion he never changed how receivers plays the position. He was great receiver and teams game planned against him but never TO had never changed the game!

22. irishgary says: Feb 17, 2017 7:33 AM

Ah yes Florios daily post on TO. Not sure which Florio man crush is bigger, TO or Brady

23. joeychittwood says: Feb 17, 2017 7:58 AM

What a wild, wacky, wired time we live in when T.O. is the sane and rational one in his fight against the media…..
    its nit like the ‘journalists’ who vote for the HOF would ever let their personal bias’ get in the way of doing the actual job…
    Riiiiiiiight ;o)

24. abninf says: Feb 17, 2017 8:05 AM

Well.. TO is right.

25. massappeal12345 says: Feb 17, 2017 8:22 AM

Can you imagine the numbers that Owens would have put up if the opposing defense doubled and rotated against the “other” receiver. Randy Moss and Owens were dynamic. With Moss, Carter was the second best receiver on the team.

26. nomoreseasontix says: Feb 17, 2017 8:32 AM

After so much time has passed, I can’t believe I’m back to having to say “TO, please shut up and go away”.
    Doesn’t make me nostalgic…

27. zombiepatriot says: Feb 17, 2017 8:57 AM

The more Owens talks the more he is making it look like it was a good decision to not elect him to the Hall of Fame.

I get his stats say he should be in and I’m sure he will be at some point but to raise such a stink because he wasn’t a first ballot Hall of Fame player is just sad and showing him for the terrible, me-first person and player he is and was.

If down the road he is still not in I may almost feel bad for the guy but at this point it is ridiculous to continue to dwell on the issue.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Moss next year. I’m almost certain he won’t be a first ballot either and I’m interested to see how he handles the situation. I’m guessing it won’t be in such a childish manner but we’ll see… we’ll see…

28. whenwilliteverend says: Feb 17, 2017 9:01 AM

As long as TO keeps running his mouth, he’ll keep waiting to get voted in. Eventually one would think he’d wise up and shut his mouth but maybe not in his lifetime.

29. pastabelly says: Feb 17, 2017 9:03 AM

TO is in full flamethrower mode.

30. footballboozer says: Feb 17, 2017 9:15 AM

Like or hate TO, hes dead on about Carter. CC really is low life and should NOT be in the hall.
    But, he kissed so much ass at the end is the reason why he’s in.

31. filmex2000 says: Feb 17, 2017 9:23 AM

Give it a rest, Mike. TO isn’t worth all the energy you’ve been putting into this…

Barry Bonds isn’t in the MLB HOF and it is only partially due to PEDs…people just don’t like disruptive a-holes.

32. filthymcnasty3 says: Feb 17, 2017 9:42 AM

Why would Chris Carter be in the HOF?

33. tbabes says: Feb 17, 2017 9:58 AM

TO deliberately made a dumpster fire of the 2005 eagles, a team that was very much a super bowl contender. He was so hurt and insulted that the Eagles didn’t give him a new contract, 1 year into a 6 year deal, that he chose to DESTROY HIS TEAM and completely derail their season. Jerry Jones cut him after the 2008 season, less than one year after signing his whiny butt to a big extension. He was an incredible WR, but the man put his own needs and interests so far above that of his team, that I have no issue at all watching him flap in the wind for a year or 10 over his HOF candidacy.

34. RegisHawk says: Feb 17, 2017 9:59 AM

Don’t know or care about the comparison to Carter, but one thing is known…Carter waited over a decade to get in, so TO can shut up and wait.

35. sidbrown210 says: Feb 17, 2017 10:08 AM

Let’s be real. If Carter had done now what he had did then, he would have been BANNED. Period.

36. coolzog says: Feb 17, 2017 10:35 AM

“I did more with less.”

In what way? Owens played with Pro Bowl QBs almost his whole career and had much more physical ability than Carter did.

37. fmc651 says: Feb 17, 2017 10:57 AM

Cris Carter had way better hands than TO. TO dropped half the passes thrown to him. Not sure how this helps TO’s case by calling out CC.

38. streetyson says: Feb 17, 2017 11:10 AM

Cris “Fall Guy” Carter admitted on ESPN radio in 2012 to often paying bounties on his opponents. A year later Carter was inducted HoF. And yet he thinks T.O. was a bad influence!

39. scrappler says: Feb 17, 2017 11:41 AM

cris can’t hear TO. he is too busy “bappin'” with the kids.

40. southpaw79 says: Feb 17, 2017 11:52 AM

It is funny when there is an argument between two people who like to hear themselves talk, but neither of them really understand what is going on. If I had to rate or choose the level of T.O. and C.C.’s bad character, it would be easy. C.C. was by far the worse person when these two people are compared side by side.

41. The Professional Introvert says: Feb 17, 2017 1:22 PM

What is stupid is having to wait your turn. Either you produced enough to be in the HOF or you didn’t. There is already a five year wait. No player has bettered their numbers after being retired.

42. whybotherifeverythinggetscensored says: Feb 17, 2017 2:47 PM

Seriously, TO’s biggest “crimes” are that he is emotional and can’t shut up. Neither is a reason to keep him out of the HOF, especially compared to some of those, who came before him.

43. 81TinaKane says: Feb 17, 2017 3:13 PM

otheirony says:
    Feb 17, 2017 7:07 AM

Btw, I’m not, nor ever was, a t.o fan. But this is wrong.
    ————————————————————-Its fine if you were not a carter fan or disagreed with his take, but saying he doesn’t belong in the HOF is outrageous–When he retired, he was 2nd in receptions, 2nd in tds, 3rd in yardage and dwarfed other HOF WR in numbers such as: irvin, reed, lofton, largent, monk, all the while catching passes from the likes of Wade wilson, Rich gannon, Sean Salisberry, Jim Mcmahon, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randal Cunningham, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, Jay Fielder. He also quite possibly had the best hands ever to play the position. Your doesnt belong in the HOF because there is more to stats is quite asinine….

44. diehardfootballfan says: Feb 17, 2017 8:30 PM

GET OVER IT T. O. Please we are sick of hearing you. What a CRYBABY.

45. blowfishes says: Feb 17, 2017 9:54 PM

So Owens believes that during his playing career he deserves to be in the HoF.

Now, I appreciate that entry should be based on purely the time during your NFL career, so statistics and ability are obviously important. But I think we can agree that Football is a team game.

With that in mind let’s look back at just a few examples where Owens displayed very poor judgement which either affected his then current team, or a player he once played with who was still playing.

Owens did an interview with Playboy whose line of questioning led him into at least intimating that quarterback Jeff Garcia, his former 49ers teammate, was gay.

“Like my boy tells me,” Owens said, “if it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat.” The interview was published in August, and created a week’s worth of stories revolving around the long-since soured Owens-Garcia working relationship. Garcia even felt the need to respond to Owens’ words, insisting that his former receiver had even met some of his girlfriends. Whether Garcia was gay or not, this was a shameful comment made to make himself appear ‘funny’.

During a game in Minnesota, Owens exploded on the sideline at his 49ers offensive coordinator, Greg Knapp. Knapp endured a ridiculous verbal thrashing from Owens on the San Francisco sideline in the Metrodome, all because things weren’t going so great for Owens in his duel with Vikings receiver Randy Moss.

The 49ers lost that game and Owens then started ripping into Garcia during the course of a 14-minute post-game rant, in which he called for the elevation of backup Tim Rattay to the starting lineup.

Disgruntled with his situation with the Eagles, he what can only bad called ‘staged’ a workout in front of his garage when he was suspended for once again throwing his QB under the bus – McNabb – and refusing to issue a public apology.

He once admitted to spitting in the face of DeAngelo Hall. He justified this by saying “I got frustrated and I apologize for that. It was a situation where he kept hugging me and getting in my face. He had a lot of words, I didn’t. I just wanted to come and prove I’m not a guy to be schemed with.”

To me Owens was a great individual player who put up some great numbers, but although he probably will get into the HoF one day, I really hope it’s in a very quiet year way down the line where the voters simply decide to put him in so that they don’t have to keep talking about him anymore!

46. tonebones says: Feb 19, 2017 5:31 PM

The more Owens talks, the less likely he gets in the Hall any time soon. He just can’t seem to help himself. He’s his own worst enemy. Just like when he played. I always felt sympathy for Owens because you could tell he wasn’t dealing with a full deck. He actually made his teams less competitive. Chris Carter made his teams better, and he was a mentor to the younger guys. Carter was intelligent and his teammates loved him. Carter was a plus. Owens was a minus. One’s in the HOF. One isn’t.

47. knows2much says: Feb 21, 2017 11:28 AM

T.O. … You have found a fall guy … You can pay to see him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame … Search Cris Carter.

48. vikingcheesegrater says: Feb 21, 2017 4:39 PM

Cris Carter was not as big of a head case as Terrell Owens was. Then again, CC was not as good a receiver as T.O. was, either. I’m a Vikings fan, and I have to say that if C.C. is in the Hall of Fame, T.O. should also be in as well.

Knowing what I know now, and if I had the chance to draft one of them I would probably go with C.C. because he wasn’t such a destroyer of teams, but C.C. was still a headache to other players, and he wasn’t as good on the field as T.O. was, so it’s a close race.

Now if you want to bring up a comparison of T.O. to Randy Moss, that is another story altogether. Moss was less of a head case AND he was a better player than T.O. Give me the Super Freak over T.O. every single time.

49. keepingitrealdumb says: Feb 21, 2017 5:25 PM

zenoracledba says:
    Feb 17, 2017 6:47 AM
    =================================
    “you get more bees with honey”??? Don’t you mean the more bees you have the more honey you have? If I have some honey how is that going to attract bees? Bees aren’t attracted to honey, they _make_ honey.

I don’t think you understand what you said.

50. wmello10 says: Feb 22, 2017 12:47 PM

Im not a T.O. Fan but he is 110% RIGHT! The fact is this…… Statistically T.O. Put up the record numbers in all phases at his position this also invludes Championships! Carter is an idiot for criticizing TO…… Carter was never half the athlete as TO! Enough said! Lets talkabout Cliff Branch not receiving the honors!!! Garbage ass L. Swann is in and he doesnt have half the stats oas Cliff did and cliff was never in the media crying an shot!! It is a popularity contest and the HOF isnt what it used to be it is a damn Jone!!!