Deshaun Watson to Cowboys: Trade Dak and Romo, draft me

Getty Images

Myles Garrett isn’t the only top draft prospect who wishes the Cowboys would take him.

Former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson said at the Davey O’Brien Award reception in Forth Worth, Texas, that he wants to be a Cowboy. Watson said that when he won the Davey O’Brien Award last year, he told Cowboys coach Jason Garrett that if he won the award again, the Cowboys would have to draft him. Watson did win the award again, so Watson wants the Cowboys to follow through.

“I like being in Fort Worth, Texas, and I promise you I’ll be back here,” Watson said. “And I told coach Garrett, ‘If I’m back here, you have to draft me.’ I know a lot of Cowboys fans, Tony Romo is healthy, Dak, I’m a huge fan, love that man, he’s been successful, but hey, I did my part, you have to do your part. I’ll see you at the Combine so we’ll talk more about that.”

There is, of course, exactly zero chance of the Cowboys trading Dak Prescott to draft Watson, and Watson surely knows that — he was laughing as he said it. But in Watson’s perfect world, the Cowboys would acquire the first overall pick from Cleveland, and Watson would go to Dallas.

“The Browns do need a quarterback. You can trade both of them. They need two.”

Watson was joking, as was Myles Garrett when he called for the Cowboys to draft him. But Browns fans may not find it so funny that top prospects keep talking about how they’d prefer to go elsewhere.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Deshaun Watson to Cowboys: Trade Dak and Romo, draft me”
  1. bayousooner90 says: Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM

Browns fans may not think its funny but they have to know it is a reality.

2. mzew233 says: Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM

Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie

3. waynefontesismyfather says: Feb 22, 2017 5:01 PM

The Browns need about a dozen quarterbacks per year so at least his thought is on the money in sending them two.

4. ogawdwhereami says: Feb 22, 2017 5:01 PM

Um yeah. It’s Cleveland. Nobody wants to live there.

5. doublebase says: Feb 22, 2017 5:03 PM

I find it’s always best to insult two established quarterbacks before you enter the league. Always works out great.

6. pftisthebestsiteeverlol says: Feb 22, 2017 5:05 PM

mzew233 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM

Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie
    ==============================
    i bet he was completely serious too…cmon man

7. vikingsnyc5 says: Feb 22, 2017 5:12 PM

How much do you think top college QBs entering the draft every year cringe at the thought of going to Cleveland?

8. The Truth says: Feb 22, 2017 5:16 PM

Only takes one idiot like the stooge Garrett from A&M to start it now every lemming weighs in

9. daysend564 says: Feb 22, 2017 5:17 PM

mzew233 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM
    Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie
    ————————————
    Romo + Prescott > Brady + Garoppolo

10. The Truth says: Feb 22, 2017 5:17 PM

It only takes one stooge like the garrett kid from A&M to start it and all the lemiings weigh in

11. itswhereyourmindsat says: Feb 22, 2017 5:17 PM

What a douche bag. I’ve instantly lost all respect for this kid

12. maddenisfordorks says: Feb 22, 2017 5:19 PM

Either this guy is going to be AMAZING, or he is going to be just meh, and find himself offering to try out for teams for free once he’s been cut 3 times.

13. m8gaman says: Feb 22, 2017 5:24 PM

daysend564 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:17 PM
    mzew233 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM
    Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie
    ————————————
    Romo + Prescott > Brady + Garoppolo
    ——————
    Brady alone > Romo + Prescott combined

14. ninefingers9 says: Feb 22, 2017 5:25 PM

How does Cleveland still have a team?

15. Matt from San Diego says: Feb 22, 2017 5:29 PM

As a Millenial, I advocate we cut off the end of our generation right before this kids.

Wtf this brazen hubris is completely and utterly unrecognizable to even my entitled generation.

My baby boomer father said “everything is so jokey with these kids, they don’t understand how serious it is about to get for them.” And? I agree.

Kids need to shut up, especially even a half wit armchair GM like me can see this kid isn’t going to work in the NFL, he’s gonna fizzle out quick, ever seen him throw a football? Yuck.

16. skittlesareyum says: Feb 22, 2017 5:33 PM

Boy, there are some super serious people on this site. If some of these comments are any indication they frown at everyone and if you say “nice day” they respond with “says who”. Lighten up, Francis.

17. justintuckrule says: Feb 22, 2017 5:33 PM

Just a nice way of saying, “Cleveland, don’t draft me.”

18. internetcommenter7 says: Feb 22, 2017 5:35 PM

So I’m not a Watson fan and I’m highly skeptical of his prospects as a pro but this was clearly good-matured joking. Anyone upset by this is being ridiculous. Sorry for the mild take.

19. bastyboy says: Feb 22, 2017 5:37 PM

He only need to pull a La’el collins kind of move to be drafted by the cowboys.

20. triptomlin says: Feb 22, 2017 5:38 PM

I agree The Truth is certainly a stooge.

21. loudpackmatt says: Feb 22, 2017 5:40 PM

I’ll take dak prescott and zach Martin off your hands dallas yall can have watson lmao

22. nsawins says: Feb 22, 2017 5:41 PM

This kid will be a BUST. Book it. Can’t read a defense to save his life.

23. skittlesareyum says: Feb 22, 2017 5:42 PM

Matt from San Diego says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:29 PM

————————

A baby boomer, AKA the most selfish generation, complaining about another generation? That’s rich.

24. PatchesO'Houlihan says: Feb 22, 2017 5:47 PM

Cleveland, Jacksonville and San Francisco need to merge into one team and the NFL can go to a 30 team league

25. PatchesO'Houlihan says: Feb 22, 2017 5:48 PM

Bills could use another bad QB

26. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 22, 2017 5:49 PM

Luckily the hat DeShaun is wearing has an adjustable band.

27. nyneal says: Feb 22, 2017 5:55 PM

ogawdwhereami says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:01 PM
    Um yeah. It’s Cleveland. Nobody wants to live there.

________________________________________

Not true. Drew Carey does.

28. kemp13 says: Feb 22, 2017 6:02 PM

mzew233 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM
    Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie

Absolutely nothing like that. Nothing at all. Prescott not yet qualified to carry Brady’s gym bag.

29. Lisa_the_Greek says: Feb 22, 2017 6:05 PM

@Matt from San Diego

Are you suggesting that people shouldn’t display a sense of humor every now and then? I sure hope not, because the world would be a pretty boring place if that was the case.

This has nothing to do with Watson being entitled; it was just a lame joke that was made even worse when translated into written word.

Why so serious?

30. dickshotdogs says: Feb 22, 2017 6:05 PM

What in the world is it with these narcissistic millennials? My Lord. smh….

31. carloswlassiter says: Feb 22, 2017 6:06 PM

Isn’t that guy Trubisky from Cleveland? Surely he wants to play for the hometown team?

32. ctiggs says: Feb 22, 2017 6:06 PM

Id rather be that homeless guy in cleveland than play for the cowboys. #Nobodyhasitbetter

33. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Feb 22, 2017 6:07 PM

mzew233 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM
    Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie

———–

New England can win with anyone at QB let alone a baller like Watson. So the Patriots wouldn’t skip a beat in the event this scenario happens.

34. questionableopinion says: Feb 22, 2017 6:10 PM

Just a joke, so no reason to overreact. But I wonder if there is a correlation between QBs who say crazy things prior to the draft and a lack of success in the NFL.

35. kcflake says: Feb 22, 2017 6:10 PM

Wow. I wanted Watson to go to my Chiefs, but Forget That.

36. seatownballers says: Feb 22, 2017 6:11 PM

This kid is making too much fuss without playing a single game. If the kid truly likes Texas, he should aim for Houston

37. couchbasher says: Feb 22, 2017 6:13 PM

Dak played at the senior bowl. deshaun Watson did not.

Who wants a QB scared of competition?

38. couchbasher says: Feb 22, 2017 6:14 PM

Manziel part 2. All talk.

39. flipola says: Feb 22, 2017 6:14 PM

Lol, I love it. If my team didn’t already have a QB I’d be hoping for him.

40. o0omorriso0o says: Feb 22, 2017 6:15 PM

Honestly i see prescott falling on his face this year. He just screams one year wonder to me. Wentz will be the best QB taken from last years draft when we look back in 10 years.

41. chargerdillon says: Feb 22, 2017 6:18 PM

Would be absolutely scary if Watson found his way to the Texans

42. bencoates57 says: Feb 22, 2017 6:19 PM

The Cowboys aren’t more popular than the Browns, are they?

43. logicaldawg says: Feb 22, 2017 6:28 PM

Hilarious. I hope every player in the top 30 does this.

44. 6ball says: Feb 22, 2017 6:31 PM

@patsfan4life (closeted Jets fan)

” New England can win with anyone at QB let alone a baller like Watson. ”

——-
    So, there’s a long list of QBs that would have brought his team back from 25 points down in the Super Bowl? Does it include Fitztrainwreck? the Sanchize? Super Geno Smith? or your 2nd rounder that couldn’t hit water if he threw the ball off of the Golden Gate Bridge?

45. staffordisbetterthanyourteamsqb says: Feb 22, 2017 6:53 PM

itswhereyourmindsat says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:17 PM
    What a douche bag. I’ve instantly lost all respect for this kid

I’m sure he’s losing sleep over that

46. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Feb 22, 2017 6:54 PM

6ball says:
    Feb 22, 2017 6:31 PM
    @patsfan4life (closeted Jets fan)

” New England can win with anyone at QB let alone a baller like Watson. ”

——-

————

Watson brought his team back from a 14 point deficit in the CFP National Championship against arguably the GOAT college football coach Saban, and his great defense. I’m sure if Watson played for the GOAT coach Belichick, he can overcome a 25 points deficit.

47. thirdand43 says: Feb 22, 2017 6:57 PM

Better turn up the humility and turn down the bravado.
    Millenials truly are the most narcissistic people ever.

48. abninf says: Feb 22, 2017 7:03 PM

Some of you people have ZERO sense of humor. Obviously the guy was joking.

49. firstdownbrowns says: Feb 22, 2017 7:20 PM

what happens if he bombs out at the combine ? and falls in the draft and the Cowboys pass on him ? LMAO

50. roddoliver says: Feb 22, 2017 7:22 PM

The Browns should draft Jonathan Allen #1 overall. That’s the right player to change their culture. These other guys are full of “oh I don’t want to play in the cold” and “please Cowboys trade up and take me”. Besides, Allen is a better player than Garrett anyway.

51. NFLexpert says: Feb 22, 2017 7:35 PM

It’s okay, Cleveland probably doesn’t want Deshaun Manziel anyway…

52. pittsburghdamned says: Feb 22, 2017 7:35 PM

Oh? Another big-time college (read: amateur) QB that’s destined to be a BUST.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

53. PatsFanSince2002 says: Feb 22, 2017 7:36 PM

Watson is not a top prospect. Only casuals think he is because he plays for a good team.

54. bassplucker says: Feb 22, 2017 7:42 PM

He’s RG4. I hope and prayer my Bears don’t take him but I have a sinking feeling they will and doom themselves to another 5 or 6 years of suck.

55. ronfai says: Feb 22, 2017 8:23 PM

This kinda makes me hope he goes to Cleveland …….in round 3

56. bigtimebrownie says: Feb 22, 2017 8:46 PM

Johnny talked a lot too. That worked out well.

57. Phoenix11 says: Feb 22, 2017 9:28 PM

Wanted Watson to go to the Chiefs, but this is some ill humor. I get having a favorite team and making a statement of it being a dream becoming reality. But this brings no good will from any fanbase outside of DAL. Heck they may even take offense at the poor joke.

58. mikeinthevine says: Feb 22, 2017 9:49 PM

The Browns aren’t going to draft this stiff anyhow.

59. smalltownqb says: Feb 22, 2017 10:00 PM

Jury is still out on Dak.

60. andyb053 says: Feb 22, 2017 10:26 PM

Dude needs to shut up. Nothing good can come of this for him, so even if this is how he feels he needs to keep it to himself.

And oh by the way, let’s not forget that the Skins may want/need to draft him at #2 if they pull off a trade with the 49ers for Cousins. Skins fans will want nothing to do with a guy that tells the world that he wants the Cowboys to draft him, especially when there’s 0% chance of it actually happening.

61. brendafortheboyz says: Feb 22, 2017 10:35 PM

Well, it seems they all want to go to my Cowboys 🙂 Might not be a bad idea, since they are going to need a backup!!! Tony WILL be gone, and it will be 2015 all over again, if Dak gets hurt. Can’t wait to see what team Tony lands on 🙂 I’ll get to cheer on 2 teams!!!!!!! The ‘Boys made their bed…….& they’re in salary cap Hell right now…..

62. finfansince68 says: Feb 22, 2017 10:39 PM

Deshaun can develop into starting QB in the NFL with time.
    I’m sure he was kidding with the Dak/Romo statement –
    I’m also pretty sure from watching him play the last couple of seasons @ Clemson he’s not arrogant at all.
    He seems to be a pretty humble kid, just enjoys winning
    (can’t blame him for that) and wants to go to a winning NFL team cause let’s face it – playing for a losing franchise sucks!

63. bittersportspills says: Feb 22, 2017 11:03 PM

#moron.

64. cowboyinpawleys says: Feb 22, 2017 11:07 PM

DW4 is the real deal! He will be a great pro QB, but not for my Cowboys and hopefully in the AFC.

65. jlv3gem says: Feb 23, 2017 12:06 AM

The Browns aren’t really a top pick away from competing, and if that top pick pans out he’d be toward the end of his career by the time Cleveland is competitive. Best thing this team could do is trade as many picks and players for picks in future drafts. Imagine drafting two years in a row with 5 first rounders and a couple mid-round picks. What they’re doing isn’t working.

66. honesttruth88 says: Feb 23, 2017 1:03 AM

The browns are a terrible team but they can upgrade one side of the football with three picks in the top 33. They take Myles garret/Jon Allen 1st, if Reuben foster is still there at 12 take him, if not another pass rusher, and with the 33rd take one of the many cb’s/saftey that are in this draft. That’s an upgrade at every level of the defense. Then they have the 52nd and 65th pick which are still pretty good. I’m excited to see what they do even though I’m not a browns fan. I want to see them do good because I hate the steelers. Don’t screw this up browns brass!! Don’t draft a qb when you have no Offensive line to protect him or anyone to throw it to besides that qb turned wr.

67. loudpackmatt says: Feb 23, 2017 3:07 AM

Cleveland has some good picks in place this year and u got guys like myles garett and watson making jokes about not wanting to go there it’s pathetic! They are supposed to be professionals not kids trapped inside a man’s body when jim brown was selected in the nfl draft did he bitch and moan like these kids or did he lace up his cleats and become a legend

68. 1bigtex says: Feb 23, 2017 6:49 AM

ctiggs says:
    Feb 22, 2017 6:06 PM
    _________________________________

Really???? 2-14 dude. Only Cleveland has it worse!

69. RussianBreadMaker says: Feb 23, 2017 7:22 AM

Who is coaching these idiots when it comes to opening their mouths to the reporters? That person needs to be fired

70. Footballfanz says: Feb 23, 2017 7:56 AM

2 best places for any qb to go: cowboys b/c their o-line is ridiculous, great run game and deep threat with Dez. The other is patriots, an offense that seems to work with all high percentage, easy passes. Every qb that has stepped into that qb spot in NE has done exceptionally well and way better than they would on any other team. Those two teams would be the easiest place for any qb to succeed and exceed expectations.

71. sguy2130 says: Feb 23, 2017 8:19 AM

Thanks for saying this Deshaun, gives my Browns another reason to avoid reaching in the draft and taking Vince Young 2.0

72. spunjmunke says: Feb 23, 2017 8:20 AM

If all these top prospects don’t want to come to Cleveland, all they need to do is have their Step-Dads “leak” a video of them beating puppies or smoking weed through a gas mask 5 minutes before the draft.

73. TheDPR says: Feb 23, 2017 8:44 AM

“Get off my lawn!” ~PFT Planet

A college kid isn’t allowed to joke around anymore? He can’t be confident? I don’t think he’s going to be a great NFL QB but at the same time I don’t begrudge him enjoying the ride he’s having now. More power to him.

74. jjackwagon says: Feb 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Vince Young 2.0

75. metalup666 says: Feb 23, 2017 9:18 AM

“This kid will be a BUST. Book it. Can’t read a defense to save his life.”

Seriously? Nobody knows what this kid or any kid will do once drafted. The pro-level coaches will teach this kid to read defenses. If he can’t get it, and/or the speed of the game, then he could be considered a bust. He hasn’t done anything positive of negative yet. The fact that anybody automatically thinks players are going to be busts before they even play a down in the NFL is absolutely ridiculous!

76. metalup666 says: Feb 23, 2017 9:21 AM

“Id rather be that homeless guy in cleveland than play for the cowboys. ”

Again, seriously? I would love to be a player on any team even if it meant being a third stringer. The league minimum alone is more than I make, plus I would be on an NFL team. That is something that not many people can claim. People amaze me!

77. jgedgar70 says: Feb 23, 2017 9:32 AM

I hope whatever team drafts him has a therapist on staff to help him through his self-esteem issues. 🙂

78. silvernblacksabbath says: Feb 23, 2017 9:54 AM

Whaley (Buffalo) will draft him!

79. daddeeo says: Feb 23, 2017 10:17 AM

Say hello to Cleveland… lol!

80. daddeeo says: Feb 23, 2017 10:25 AM

For those crapping themselves about these comments they were made in jest. Read the whole article… He’s a KID having fun with the press looking to sensationalize anything they can.

That said this kid has no claim to fame in the NFL. How many college kids actually play on an NFL field? He hasn’t faced ANYONE yet. The first time a full grown man power-slams him to the ground he’ll realize it’s not all fun and games!

81. ncheelsboysfan says: Feb 23, 2017 10:53 AM

Everybody wants to be a Cowboy! America’s Team baby!

Feel bad for the Browns though because being the place that QBs go to have their career die has to make them a tough draw. That would really suck.

82. bws1066 says: Feb 23, 2017 11:11 AM

Cowboys aren’t in the market for a third string QB Watson.

83. tigerdiesel says: Feb 23, 2017 11:55 AM

Please check all that apply to you:

– I only read the headline

– I didn’t read the whole article

– I made a knee-jerk reactionary comment based off the first two

– I don’t understand humor

– I wish those damn millenials would get off my lawn

84. nhpats says: Feb 23, 2017 12:04 PM

If the Bengals want to actually have a chance of winning a postseason game…..they should find a way to move up and drat this kid. The red-headed experiment is over.

85. granadafan says: Feb 23, 2017 12:26 PM

dickshotdogs says:
    Feb 22, 2017 6:05 PM
    What in the world is it with these narcissistic millennials? My Lord. smh….
    =========================================

My parent’s generation said the same thing about my generation (Gen X). Guess what, the world didn’t collapse and we created the internet (with Al Gore’s help, hehe). Before that, my grandparents were the “Greatest Generation” and fought in WWII. They railed against the rock and roll and hippy generation (baby boomers).

Now it’s our turn to bash the Millennials.

86. tedbundysson says: Feb 23, 2017 12:34 PM

mzew233 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 5:00 PM
    Yeah right.

That’s like New England trading garoppolo and Brady for a rookie

Somebody needs to carry it. He let somebody steal a $500,000 jersey out of it…

87. dsheik says: Feb 24, 2017 1:20 AM

PatsFanSince2002 says:
    Feb 22, 2017 7:36 PM

——————————————————————–

Some team may surprise and reach for him late in the 1st rd, but late 2nd or 3rd is when I think he’ll go. This is really a weak QB class and he might not even be in the top three at that.

88. ikeclanton says: Feb 24, 2017 9:02 AM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Feb 22, 2017 6:54 PM
    6ball says:
    Feb 22, 2017 6:31 PM
    @patsfan4life (closeted Jets fan)

” New England can win with anyone at QB let alone a baller like Watson. ”

——-

————

—–

You do realize that no one, even the most irrational, ardent blinded-by-hate Brady bashers actually believes that, right?

You also realize that everyone knows you’re a frustrated Jets fan, right?

Is this what happens when you lose to a team for so long that all sense of reality becomes permanently lost?

89. JaredJayden says: Feb 27, 2017 12:47 PM

Funny

90. taintedsaints2009 says: Feb 27, 2017 10:22 PM

I don’t get the hype behind this guy.

91. ibillwt says: Feb 28, 2017 10:24 AM

—————-
    Whoa Whoa now. I love Watson and what he did for my Tigers. Watson is a great competitor.

BUT, and make that a HUGE BUT, we won’t see another Brady in our life time. He has dwarfed and dominated the highest level of competition for longer than anyone in history. I acknowledge THE UNDISPUTED PLAYER GOAT.