Christian McCaffrey runs 4.48 40, Dalvin Cook goes 4.49

AP

If you were looking to 40-yard dash times to separate the top running back prospects in this year’s draft, the Scouting Combine didn’t provide a whole lot of daylight between them.

LSU’s Leonard Fournette was timed at 4.51 seconds in Indianapolis on Friday, which ranked third among the perceived trio at the top of the list. Per the NFL’s official times, Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey ran his first try in 4.48 seconds while Florida State’s Dalvin Cook was just behind him at 4.49 seconds.

McCaffrey lagged behind in the bench press — 10 reps for him, 22 for Cook and Fournette didn’t participate — but was the best jumper in the group.

All three players will also have pro day workouts that will give them Fournette a chance to bench and the whole group an opportunity to go through many of the same drills again, but there wasn’t anything that’s going to sour a team that liked what they’ve seen from the players on the field and on tape.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Christian McCaffrey runs 4.48 40, Dalvin Cook goes 4.49”
  1. charliebatch1 says: Mar 3, 2017 2:28 PM

2. seabrawk12 says: Mar 3, 2017 2:43 PM

____________________________________

Yeah I’m sure his thoughts were, “I should make myself look bad so I can get paid a lot less and THEN go to a team known for not forking over dough.”

Great assessment.

3. bassplucker says: Mar 3, 2017 2:47 PM

McCaffrey is a tough call if I’m a GM. He brings the impact of a 1st rounder but when you’re spending a 1st round pick you want a guy with a good chance of sticking with you for 7 or 8 years (assuming you can afford his 2nd contract). I’m not sure McCaffrey will have that kind of shelf life. He’ll probably fall to a team that’s good enough to afford a luxury like that so it could all work out, I guess.

4. charliebatch1 says: Mar 3, 2017 2:53 PM

________________________________

5. cliffordt says: Mar 3, 2017 3:03 PM

I think Fournette is the guy who lagged on the bench press, not McCaffery. How can a guy who does not participate be considered as ahead of a guy who does?

6. feckyerlife says: Mar 3, 2017 3:10 PM

just because he’s white? i agree. i mean danny woodhead is terrible. , so was john riggins. he was the worst RB ever, just forget about it..

reptar310 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 2:52 PM
    McCaffery is a white running back. No thank you, I’d pass.

7. factschecker says: Mar 3, 2017 3:10 PM

Per the “value” debates above. Something to consider is McCaffrey may add value (to certain teams) over a traditional back because of his ability to also play on 4th down (PR) and even possibly on Kickoffs.

8. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:12 PM

“McCaffrey only benched ten times because he wants to make himself look bad and fall to the Pats. IMO

Clearly you don’t understand that white, gritty receivers/running backs dream for their whole life about one day playing for the great New England patriots.”

Yeah no. They dream about making the big money regardless of who it is, and that’s coming from another Pats fan.

Not to mention the Pats have had numerous receivers and RBs who are/were people of color.

Had you said receivers dream of playing with Brady because he’s the best that would make sense, but nobody is tanking their tryouts just in hopes of falling to the Pats. Nobody.

9. viffty says: Mar 3, 2017 3:13 PM

Whomever gets Dalvin Cook is going to be very lucky. He is a three-down back who can run inside and out, is great at picking up the blitz and is an excellent pass catcher. If he stays healthy he will be somebody who can win OROY.

10. grumpysal says: Mar 3, 2017 3:14 PM

Whichever of these 3 is the best receiver will be the one who makes the most impact in the NFL.

11. Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:15 PM

Kickoffs virtually eliminated, and no one’s using a 1st on a guy who could get hurt on specials.

Cook is the best RB in this class. It’s not close. Regardless of 40 time, he plays at another speed.

12. Dominant Gene says: Mar 3, 2017 3:17 PM

It’s very interesting how this article omits the fact that Fournette weighed in at 240 lbs at the combine and just ran a 4.51.

Seriously??!! A 4.51 40 time

Why are all these comments about McAffery who didn’t have the fastest time nor the highest vertical, nor the best bench press or any standout moments at the combine?

Bo Jackson was 230 lbs when he ran a blistering 4.13 for perspective, so I’m confused why this articles headline is McCaffery & Cook.

13. pastabelly says: Mar 3, 2017 3:20 PM

Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily.
    =======================================
    Good thing that quarterback proved them wrong. The focus should be on what these guys do well. McCaffrey has a lot going for him and shouldn’t worry about a bench press.

14. buffalosunshine says: Mar 3, 2017 3:22 PM

if you had almost every running back in the NFL run a 40 I highly doubt that any more than 10 would run under 4.5. It means nothing when you have his style of running.

15. florida76 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:25 PM

Could care less about someone’s race when talking about job performance. Love the fact Dalvin Cook could have taken the coward’s way out, and skipped the Orange Bowl game versus Michigan. Instead, this player had enough respect for his teammates to finish what they started.

Just because a bowl game isn’t for the national title doesn’t mean it’s a meaningless exhibition. Players who have a passion to compete won’t sit out a their final game if they’re 100%.

16. Stiller43 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:29 PM

Can’t wait to hear how he’s “sneaky fast” and a hard worker.

17. kane337 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:37 PM

Stiller43 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:29 PM
    Can’t wait to hear how he’s “sneaky fast” and a hard worker.

————————-

and is a smart player who runs good routes.

18. factschecker says: Mar 3, 2017 3:39 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:15 PM
    ———
    I said 4th downs and even possibly kickoffs.

For those that struggle with the meaning or comprehension of “even” or “possibly”

And with that the current kickoff rules may “even possibly” change in the near future.

19. 81TinaKane says: Mar 3, 2017 3:40 PM

bassplucker says:
    Mar 3, 2017 2:47 PM

————————————————————–
    McCaffrey has the feeling of another Toby Gerhart, except toby ripped off 22 BPs at the combine, 10 is pretty weak for a guy who skipped a bowl game an has been working out for months.

20. datdude84 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:41 PM

It’s funny to me how people keep talking about dalvin Cooks speed. Along with McCaffrey. At a heavier weight of 40 lbs and 25 lbs he is neck and neck with these guys. Honestly if Fournettes time isn’t freakish at 240 then the other two backs are highly disappointing.

21. hardheadedrb says: Mar 3, 2017 3:44 PM

I watched. TV showed 4.49 and 4.59 for McCaffrey’s two runs. 4.59…Yikes!! I ran 4.65 in college and I thought I was slow for a RB.

I say slot receiver for this guy. This RB group really disappointed for 40’s. Lots of high 4.5’s and into 4.6’s.

22. eaglesnoles05 says: Mar 3, 2017 3:46 PM

Eagles should trade for Bcooks, draft Dcook, and then they’ll be cookin’!

23. jerseyshoregiant says: Mar 3, 2017 4:01 PM

I don’t really see how the bench press means anything for a running back. It doesn’t have anything to do with holding onto the ball or being able to run around or through someone. When I was 22 I was slow as crap with skinny legs but could bench 225 more then 10 times. I would do it ten times as part of my regular chest workout. 185 15 times, 205 12 times, 225 10 times, 245 8 times, 255 5 or 6 times.
    I’d rather measure their grip and arm strength.

24. IMHIM says: Mar 3, 2017 4:05 PM

Watch out for the sleeper of the RBs, Joe Williams out of Utah….

25. dmretrogames says: Mar 3, 2017 4:10 PM

“When I was 22 I was slow as crap with skinny legs but could bench 225 more then 10 times. I would do it ten times as part of my regular chest workout. 185 15 times, 205 12 times, 225 10 times, 245 8 times, 255 5 or 6 times.”

Take it easy, bruh – pretty sure no chicks are reading this.

26. mogogo1 says: Mar 3, 2017 4:18 PM

McCaffrey’s real appeal comes from his multiple skills. On the right team he could be a difference maker–particularly if he proved able to play the slot effectively as a receiver. You can imagine him taking over games with big returns, catching passes, breaking some big runs. And with that kind of skillset it’d probably free up a roster spot since most teams have a guy or two who are there largely to either return kicks or play on third down–coaches would LOVE that.

The downside is you can also easily imagine him never being any more than a third down back and getting frequently hurt since he isn’t very big. At 202 at his pro day he was probably as big as he could make himself right now–he’d probably be playing around 190 by the end of a long hard season.

27. screwmemean says: Mar 3, 2017 4:31 PM

Broncos, first round. Book it!

28. harveyredman says: Mar 3, 2017 4:33 PM

He’s got real good “quicks” to match 4.5 straight line speed. He’s actually a good football player.
    It’s not in fashion to take RB’s too high anymore so I don’t know where he’s going to go, but this guy is going to be good.

29. redsoxu571 says: Mar 3, 2017 4:35 PM

Fournette didn’t “rank third” among the top trio of RBs in the 40. Three HUNDREDTHS of a second is surely well within the margin of error for this test and for repeat runs. For all practical intents and purposes (and practicality is all that matters here), they TIED in the 40, and that is how the results should be presented.

30. medialovesthecowboys says: Mar 3, 2017 4:36 PM

Cook will PROBABLY have the best career out of the three.

31. thingamajig says: Mar 3, 2017 4:38 PM

I’m not sure about anyone else but I’m really impressed.

32. cakesw says: Mar 3, 2017 4:40 PM

Lets see…

David Johnson 4.5 Combine 40…
    LeVeon Bell 4.6 Combine 40…
    Zeke Elliot 4.47 Combine 40…

I don’t think I’m going to lose sleep if I’m Fournette about a 4.51 40 at the Combine.

33. tbisgod says: Mar 3, 2017 4:43 PM

Joe Mixon will run a 4.4 at 225 next week and screw everything up. Yes, he has baggage, but the most talented rb all around in the draft. Great receiver who runs away from db’s. How long do you wait>

34. jeepster77 says: Mar 3, 2017 4:46 PM

seabrawk12 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 2:43 PM

____________________________________

Great assessment.

______________________________________

If he is using that logic, then maybe he is a lot smarter than you suspect. He may want to go to NE for a Ring, you know like Chris Long, that is after all the BEST place to be to have a good shot at a championship every year.

35. scmems07 says: Mar 3, 2017 4:48 PM

Man this guy is such a gym rat, so deceptively fast!

Fournette and cook are just pure athletes, athletically gifted with amazing speed, quickness and power.

36. whodey420 says: Mar 3, 2017 4:48 PM

Then you came out of your coma at age 23 and realized
    it was all a hallucination. :/

37. screwmemean says: Mar 3, 2017 4:53 PM

Mar 3, 2017 4:10 PM

Take it easy, bruh – pretty sure no chicks are reading this.

___________________________________

Thank you for telling us about your personal workouts. Does your FB page have photos? What are you eating right now?

38. toybkshr says: Mar 3, 2017 5:04 PM

He looks like a bigger/faster version of Danny Woodhead which means he’ll stick around for a few years

39. cakesw says: Mar 3, 2017 5:10 PM

I like McCaffrey… a lot…

but trust me…

Danny Woodhead at the same age would SMOKE him in a 40…

Danny Woodhead could FLY.

40. descendency says: Mar 3, 2017 5:21 PM

cliffordt says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:03 PM

——

This is the thing so many people don’t understand.

Scouts go to these events with the idea that film says these guys should be able to do X. If they do less than X, they get re-evaluated (negatively). If they do more than X, they get re-evaluated (positively).

So, if scouts thought McCaffery could only do 8 bench reps, this would be a good thing for him.

Scouts know what they think Fournette’s ability is. He just didn’t show them it wasn’t better or worse.

It’s not a winner takes all event. If you are a speed guy on tape and run a 4.7 40, then you are going to fall. If you are a power guy on tape and look weak, you fall.

41. scoocha says: Mar 3, 2017 5:33 PM

I think CMc will be terrible but I believe he will fall to NE who will turn another white scrub into a star.
    Welker, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan all garbage if not playing in NE.

42. southpaw79 says: Mar 3, 2017 5:39 PM

eaglesnoles05 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:46 PM
    Eagles should trade for Bcooks, draft Dcook, and then they’ll be cookin’!

If you are going to Pun, go all out. You forgot that the Eagles should add Terrell Pryor too. Now they are Cook’n with Pryor.

43. jerseyshoregiant says: Mar 3, 2017 5:55 PM

crewmemean says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:53 PM

Mar 3, 2017 4:10 PM

Take it easy, bruh – pretty sure no chicks are reading this.

___________________________________

——————————————————

I’m long past 22 now, beer guy and don’t even use free weights anymore. Shame that you are to big a dunce to get the point about the bench press not meaning anything for RB’s.

44. jerseyshoregiant says: Mar 3, 2017 5:56 PM

beer gut that is

45. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 3, 2017 8:26 PM

I think McCaffrey is least susceptible to injury of the three because of his elusive running style. He’s also the youngest (by a year and 1 1/2 yrs over Cook and Fournette), and healthiest at the Combine. The other two have significant medical concerns already. I wouldn’t touch Fournette in the draft with oven mitts. My choice would be McCaffrey or Kamara.

46. lcagee says: Mar 3, 2017 10:13 PM

When I was 22, I could bench press 180. Once. I could run a 40 in about 5.5. Needless to say, I wasn’t drafted.

47. jaysayz says: Mar 3, 2017 10:46 PM

I think McCaffrey should play wide out like his old man. I bet he would be pretty damn good. Not to mention it pays more and he can have a longer carrer.

48. runtheball says: Mar 4, 2017 8:16 AM

He seemed to be favoring his right shoulder when benching. I would be more concerned about that than the 10 reps.

49. adrianbeatason says: Mar 4, 2017 10:46 AM

I see a lot of really good backs, but I don’t know if I see an elite one. Cook probably comes the closest, but he has a lot of red flags. There are a ton of RB in this class that are going to be good role players though. I really like some of the later guys. Tarik Cohen is small but he can really move and he’s going to give some team that Darren Sproles playmaking ability without having to cost very much. He should just try to put on 10 pounds of muscle.