Packers raise ticket prices for eighth straight season

Getty Images

Supply is low and demand is high. So the prices keep going up, and up, and up. And up.

For the eighth straight year, the Packers are increasing their ticket prices. Via USA Today, the team has imposed an across-the-board hike of $7 per ticket.

Despite the ongoing hikes, team CEO Mark Murphy says that the team currently is just below the NFL average.

Regardless of how the ticket prices compare to other teams, the challenge for every team is to pick a number that will result in all tickets being sold, preferably with a long waiting list. Given that the Packers already have far more interested season-ticket holders than they have space for them, the Packers can afford to price plenty of their current customers out of the stadium before it ever will be an issue.

85 responses to “Packers raise ticket prices for eighth straight season

1. Isnt the stadium in the middle of some corn fields? Comparing them to other cities is not fair, tickets for anything cost more in big cities. People also make more money.

2. $7.00 increase damn, no problem. I’ll just have to work an extra hour to afford the increase, oops an hour and a half , I forgot the taxes.

3. BIGGSHAUN says:
    Mar 3, 2017 2:31 PM

Mediocrity’s expensive!

===============================

If the Pack is “mediocre” what word would you use to describe the remaining 30 teams outside of the Pats?!?

4. Number of HOF QBs in past 25 years = 2, yet only 2 SB titles…yes, that sounds like a very successful team to me, too.

5. BIGGSHAUN says:
    Mar 3, 2017 2:31 PM
    Mediocrity’s expensive!
    —————————–
    Really?
    Just how much are the Wilfs fleecing the Heidis nowadays?

6. curtj5 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 2:45 PM
    “Isn’t the stadium in the middle of some corn fields? Comparing them to other cities is not fair, tickets for anything cost more in big cities. People also make more money.”

Hardly. Lambeau is in the middle of Green Bay, a city of over 100k, which is less than 2 hours from Milwaukee, the metro area having a population over 1.5 million. Wisconsin has a population of 5.7M almost all of whom are cheese head Packers fans.

How much money people make has little to do with what a football team can get for their tickets. It’s all about supply and demand, and there is a big demand for tickets at Lambeau,

7. As a NFL fan, all I ask for is a team that is in contention every year and a coach I can believe has the potential to coach a team in the playoffs. The Packers have 1 of the 2 and I would love to watch them play 8 times a year.

8. Not counting exhibition games, this amounts to increased revenue of $570,045 per game and $4.56 million per season.

Does anyone think that Ted Thompson will spend it?

9. vikingboy26 says:
    —-
    Intelligent fans of any NFL team know there are 42 other players on an active roster, and that it takes offense, defense, depth and special teams to win a Super Bowl.
    That was a trick statement. Being a Vikings fan, you of course wouldn’t know anything about having an NFL team, let alone winning a Super Bowl or having intelligent fans. 🙂

10. bondlake says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:30 PM

Does anyone think that Ted Thompson will spend it?
    _____________________________________

No, because that has NOTHING to do with the salary cap this season.

11. tommytd says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:02 PM
    …and all for the privilege of sitting on cold aluminum benches! What a thrill.
    ////////////////////////////////////

It’s an outdoor stadium. If you placed the double-wide butt-molded plastic double-drink cushioned seats from US Bank Stadium outdoors at Lambeau, they’d be the same temperature as the aluminum bleachers. You can’t rationalize the touch-and-feel heat-transmissive properties of skin and static materials, because (most) people are fully-clothed.

And your veiled insult doesn’t work for comfort either. The bleacher seat spaces and your cushy-soft me-all-warm US Bank seats are the same width, except it is a helluva a lot easier to get in and out of the bleacher rows than it is with the shoe-horned tight-fit uneven scalloped seat bottoms in the down position and people in the way with nowhere to stand and with armrests and drink-holders in the way, as it is at US Bank. You know what I’m talking about.

Been there, done that. I’ll take Lambeau every time.

12. nsawins says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:14 PM
    2 Hall of Fame QBs for last quarter century and only 2 chips to show for it. Fail.
    _______________________

100s of post of PFT,

Same recycled comment on all of them.

Championships last, the winning % will change…. enjoy it while you can.

13. vikingboy26 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:10 PM
    ///////////////////////////////////

Wide Left.

No further explanation required.

14. So, let’s pretend that packers stockholders are actually owners.

Does that mean that the fans are fleecing themselves?

LOL…only in Green Bay

15. stellarperformance says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:28 PM
    tommytd says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:02 PM
    …and all for the privilege of sitting on cold aluminum benches! What a thrill.
    ////////////////////////////////////

——————————————————————

Tommy makes a dumb comment, but I actually think cold dry metal bleachers feel colder through pants then cold dry plastic.

16. I hope the jabs about the bleachers are in good fun. As a Vikings fan, I have no problem admitting there is no place better to see a game than Lambeau Field. I like U.S. Bank Stadium and all, but my handful of trips to Lambeau have been a treat. Great tradition, atmosphere, etc. It doesn’t matter what team you cheer for, if you’re a big football fan then go out of your way to see a game at Lambeau.

17. Most season ticket holders sell off the tickets to several games per year to make back some money. I actually go to all 10 home games (plus playoff games) at Lambeau, and pay the full price for serious fandom. But that is my choice. I go to games because that’s why I waited 28 years on the waiting list. I enjoy watching live football. I don’t like the idea of having to scalp tickets and stay home to pay for next year’s tickets.

But I know that if I don’t or can’t pay the invoice every year, there are many who will.

Although with the next generation (I’m 54), I wonder if any of them will pay the costs of NFL games. The NFL talks about this, but they never do anything about it (lowering prices, more perks for attending games, etc).

I do think the NFL has seen its best days. Read about NASCAR in the last ten years to see where greed gets you.

18. If they still sell out, they aren’t charging enough.

From a purely economic sense they should continue raising prices until it finally reaches a level where it just doesn’t quite sell out.

19. stellarperformance says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:33 PM
    vikingboy26 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:10 PM
    ///////////////////////////////////

Wide Left.

No further explanation required.
    ———-

20. All the talk about the “owners” and doing the fans wrong, is comical.

Nothing wrong with paying for something if you want it, no one is twisting their arm… but I guess in Minnesota they feel EVERYONE should be treated like Mondale/ Kelm-Helgen.

21. Gotta love Viking fans posting about how the Packers are mediocre and we don’t have enough Superbowls. Is oblivious the right word? Moronic? Just not sure.

22. HINT – it’s the defensive play the packers called against AZ when Larry Fitzgerald broke loose to help send the packers home in another epic playoff loss.
    ——–
    Wait, so going to and advancing deeply in the playoffs year after year is a bad thing? This coming from a fan of a team that hasn’t won a playoff game this decade? Bizarre.

23. I forgot – how many World Championships did the Vikings win with their two Hall of Fame QBs, Tarkenton and Favre?
    Viking fans turning up their noses at “only” 2 in 25 years – hilarious.

24. As a purely practical matter, you can raise prices in Titletown. People don’t mind paying for quality.

It’s a lot tougher in places like “Loserville, USA”, as their fans really wouldn’t understand it.

25. h0metownzero says:
    Mar 3, 2017 5:59 PM

—-
    You guys are still trying to make that Loserville thing stick huh?

Sorry but just cause one person says that it doesnt make it so.

If only we could call Green Bay everything that it has been called in the past. The list would be longer than that supposed waiting list of yours.

26. araini, come to Green Bay so you can see what a trophy cabinet looks like. The Packers won 2 playoff games this year the last time the Vikings did was 1987! Skolololol

27. vikingboy26 says:
    Mar 3, 2017 3:10 PM
    —————————–

Yet, according to Vikings’ fans, Favre had his best season wearing purple. And that same year Farve stated that that was the best team he’s ever played on. So the stench of failure only grows bigger for the chokers to the west. At least the Packers have trophies to show for their accomplishments.

28. They had to raise prices will keep raising them knowing full well a return to the mediocrity of the 70s and 80s will follow.

29. I’ve got two Green Package tickets, so they hit me for an additional 98 bucks per year.

I live in CA and every time I fly back for a game with my wife I have to fork out about $2400 for airline, motel, and a car for three nights. With a CA wife who likes to go first class, plenty more for dining and other non-football related items. The two 47 yard line tickets only cost me about $200 which is pretty minor.

The 98 buck increase in ticket prices needs to be about 50 percent higher to cover two tickets to a movie and dinner afterwards at one of our favorite local restaurants.

One of the guys in an earlier comment made a point about the cost of everything in larger cities costing more. Spot on, especially on the West Coast.

Born in Wisconsin and headed west after graduate school at Madison. Miss your lovely state and enjoy every trip back to see the Packers.

Packer season ticket prices are the greatest bargain associated with my trips to Lambeau.

30. nsawins says:
    Mar 3, 2017 4:14 PM
    ===================================
    That’s nothing. In the 1970’s, the Vikings had a HOF QB and 5 other Hall-of-Famers led by a Hall-of-Fame coach (with a losing playoff record) and couldn’t win a single Super Bowl- not a single one.

31. I’ve been to many different NFL stadiums and Lambeau is easily the best deal. Seats are cheap relatively speaking, the views are the best and the game experience is the best.

And never mind the tailgating……

$7 more means the best seats in the house are still less than $100.

32. cheeseisfattening says:
    Mar 4, 2017 12:03 PM
    Between now trying to sell fans photocopies of stock and raising ticket prices every year the Green Bay Packers think as little of their fans as I do.
    //////////////////////////////////////////////

Why is your opinion supposed to mean something? You’re just a hater. A hater with Fake News.

33. Hey, if fans will pay the increase, what the hell right?

For what its worth, and that ain’t much, I’ve bought away tickets at numerous venues when my team plays on the road, and Packer tickets are by far the easiest to buy on the secondary market — usually at reduced prices. There may be a long-ass waiting list that is subject to so much weird pride, but those who own existing tickets re-sell them like crazy.

34. But, but, but you can’t get Packer tickets, there is a 10,000 year waiting list! Obviously the sheepish fan base hasn’t heard of the Internet!

35. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 4, 2017 6:18 PM
    ////////////////////////////////

The waiting list is for season tickets, not game tickets. Game tickets have always been easy to come by. When you have sell-outs for sixty straight years, there’s bound to be some old folks dropping out and making tickets available.

Logical deductions are not your strong suit. Fake news, however, you’re a champion.

36. Packer fans are much more well heeled than the riff raff in Loserville, USA. They can afford the increase, and will happily support the team because of their tradition of success.

What it really comes down to is this:

Better football.

For better people.

37. Wow. Vikings live in packer fans head rent free. Sad actually. An irrelevant fanchise and all you got as a come back is wide left? Exemplifies how pathetic you are.

38. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 4, 2017 8:47 PM
    _________________

You clowns are on a Packer article commenting relentlessly and you claim the vikings are in our heads?!

Hey Kettle, this is pot….. You’re black. LOL!

39. Not all packer haters are Viking fans. Myself for example. But “you clowns” only think that way. Again. The Vikings are irrelevant but that’s all you got and that’s how you respond.

Go ahead and rip the Vikings. The rest of the league is still backing in the latest packer playoff choke.

40. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 5, 2017 2:14 PM
    ////////////////////////////////////

No, they’re not. Just you, and other self-announcing “haters” like you.

You’ll always be Wide Left.

41. Wide left means nothing to me.

You will always have 2014 NFC choke-ionship game, Larry fitz, Atlanta, 4th and 26, 15 and 1…oh the list is soooooo long!!!

42. Wide left means nothing to me.

You will always have the 2014 NFC choke-ionship game, Larry fitz, Atlanta, 4th and 26, 15 and 1…oh the list is soooooo long!!!

43. Wide left means nothing to me.
    ———————-
    Packer fans think it just the Vikings fans that laugh at their arrogance and self love when in fact it is all other fans.

44. cheeseisfattening says:
    Mar 5, 2017 3:41 PM
    //////////////////////////

Nah. Fake news. Fits only your narrative. Keep trying.

45. I mean honestly, as a Vikings fan, yes, I will admit the Packers have had more success than the Vikings, that isn’t something you can really argue.

I could counter with non-football arguments, such as would people even know where Green Bay is if not for the Packers? Would anyone other than a handful of fishermen ever visit? Its like they have to have the Packers, it defines who they are?

The Twin Cities have a life outside football. You go to the wikipedia page for green bay, they (like most cities have a list of “notable people” from there. I’d say at least half were packers as in yes they lived there or retired there. But when you move beyond that to anyone who wasn’t listed because of that you get a bunch of wisconsin state assembleymen and not much else.

The only name I recognized were Zack Snyder (the guy who is ruining the DC universe’s attempt to compete with Marvel in movies) and Joel Hodgson who went on to be Joel on Mystery Science Theater 3000…. in Minneapolis.

You go to the Minneapolis page (even leaving off St. Paul) and it goes Prince, Bob Dylan, Jesse Ventura, two US vice presidents (Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale), the Coen Brothers, Terry Gilliam, Richard Dean Anderson (McGyver), Jessica Lange, Charles Shultz, etc etc.

Its not really fair to compare a metropolis like the cities with a town like Green Bay. Ideally the team should have been based in Milwaukee, and I’m old enough to remember they played two games a year there annually for ages (back in the 70s and 80s when they sucked they probably made more money by playing there), a scheme that was designed to prevent an expansion team in Milwaukee. But ah, well.

FWIW prior to 1961 probably most people in the Twin Cities were packers fans, or at least more than from anywhere else. So technically we can share some of those NFL championships with you all. At least 4 of them (’31, ’36, ’39 and ’44). They won some prior to that (’29, ’30) but you could argue we had the now defunct Minneapolis Marines then. There were also the Duluth Eskimoes but they never played at home. anyway.

But yeah, I had to admit we would trade it all, the fine academic reputation of the University of Minnesota (which de-emphasized athletics to focus on academics after winning 7 national titles), the vibrant cultural scene and all that for even a shot at Superbowl glory.

46. Nah. Fake news. Fits only your narrative. Keep trying.

Wow. Everything that doesn’t fit your narrative is fake news. Another example of just how pathetic you are. I’d tell you to keep trying but it won’t matter. You are what you are. Sad.

47. I welcome the fans from all other teams to our wonderful Packer threads – even those from “Loserville, USA”. It is probably good for your self esteem to be around the greatest franchise in the history of the NFL with a record 13 World Championships.

It’s fun being so awesome all the time.

48. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 5, 2017 3:00 PM
    Wide left means nothing to me.
    ===================================
    Yet, you’re talking about a team that has 13 Championships/4 Super Bowl wins and was just 1 of 4 to make a conference championship game last season. I’m a Bears’ fan and I can’t really knock the Packers when my team couldn’t even make the playoffs. I would have been very happy for the Bears to make the playoffs. How did your team do?

I have a lot of respect for the Packers, as they were one of the organizations, along with the Bears, Giants, and others, that were instrumental in building the foundations of the NFL so that other teams could ride in on their coattails.

The rest of the league isn’t basking in the Packers’ playoff loss. I think your name clearly shows what your mind is locked in.

49. It’s fun being so awesome all the time.

Thanks for making my point. The overflowing arrogance is astounding. The true losserville is Green Bay. Not because of the teams performance. But because of the people.

50. The rest of the league isn’t basking in the Packers’ playoff loss

Maybe if you got out of your moms basement once in a while you see that in fact we all are still basking.

It’s becoming an annual right for all us haters. This year Atlanta. Last year Larry fitz. The 2014 NFC choke-ionship game. 15-1. 4th and 26. Favres int in overtime va giants. Again and again and Again Respect them all you want as a bears fan (fake). But the rest of us don’t.

51. It’s not an annual “right”; it would be an annual “rite”.

And the fact that you need to “bask” in something like that well after the Super Bowl shows how Packer-centric you’re thinking is. Love that you pulled out the overused “mom’s basement” line- very original. I guess when I’m out, I don’t see all of you “basking”. Where do you and your gang do this? Earlier, you made the point “how Vikings live rent-free in Packer heads”. Did you get the irony of that statement, pkfh8tr? You came to a Packer thread to point that out.

Who are all those others that are basking? And again, what team do you pull for? Funny to me that can’t comprehend that a Bear fan, or any other fan, for that matter, can respect another team. It’s just football, after all.

52. its pkrh8tr not pkfh8tr…but ill excuse your typo if you excuse my rite/right auto-correct….but i wont hold my breath

i know a lot of other people living in wisconsin like myself that dont root for the packers. we deal with the nauseating fans on a daily basis. i never used to hate the packers…but when i moved to mequon and had to listen to their smug entitled “arent we so awesome all the time” mentality, i grew to hate them. as well as other non packer fans living here. We are still basking…..you arent invited to our meetings.

and yes this is a packer thread which i am trolling…but im astounded by which packer fans (and some bear fans…or should i say fan) bring up the vikings.

sad.

53. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 5, 2017 8:26 PM
    sad.
    ==================================
    None of this stuff is particularly sad. It’s just entertainment. There are a lot of things that I would consider sad, and it has nothing to do with a football site.

BTW, Vikings’ fans bring up Packer fans all of the time. And Ravens fans bring up the Steelers, and the converse, and on-and-on with other teams.

Yeah, if you live in a state and you don’t like the home team, you get sick of those fans. Same with people in South Bend who don’t like Notre Dame, North Side and South Side (Cubs and Sox) who don’t like each other, or if you’re in New Jersey and you don’t like Springsteen, you grow to hate him and his fans. Same thing every where around the country. Big deal.

Shouldn’t it just be pkrh8r? Why the t after he eight?

54. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 5, 2017 10:00 PM
    Sad little frankie booth with his Packers BJ! But, but, but, but, but, but i root for the bears, but the pack is baaàaaaack!
    ===================================
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The “but, but…” thing is really old, and is your old Packers/Bears thing for me. Got anything new or different?

55. pkrh8r was already taken. i thought pckrh8r didnt look right. there were a couple of others i tried which were already taken…so i went with pkrh8tr.

more to your point: i lived in suburban chicago…bears fans didnt turn me into hating the bears with their obnoxious drivel. i lived in se minnesota….viking fans didnt turn me into hating the vikings with their entitlement attitude. i lived in KC and chiefs fans didnt turn me into hating the chiefs. carolina, arizona, indiana…..none of them. only when i moved to wisconsin did the fan base so annoying and overrated turn me into a hater.

watch a game with them. every play they are on offensive is pi and every play they are on defense is holding. they think they know about football but they dont…they know about the packers…thats all.

to them this is more than entertainment. and thats what i find sad.

56. I guess my experience is different. I’ve been to games at Lambeau and spent time up there and even more in Minnesota. I have good friends that are fans of both teams. Always been treated well in Green Bay, but some of them seem to get a bit touchy up in Minnesota. The Packer fans in Wisconsin, and Green Bay, especially, are fervent- I like the fact that this small town, in this day and age, is a part of the NFL, and the intensity of the fans is near college level.

There are the same type of groups of “meatball” fans in every city, however- Chicago has them just like anyone else does- without these kind of fans, they’re wouldn’t be any sports radio callers.

57. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 6, 2017 8:20 AM
    to them this is more than entertainment. and thats what i find sad
    //////////////////////////////////

Maybe if you didn’t follow losing teams so readily you’d understand that it’s lonely at the top. Everybody wants what winners already have.

58. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 5, 2017 2:14 PM

______________________
    You almost embarrass yourself as much as ariani. I have friends around the country and none see’s things this way.
    Yeah, you’re not a vikings fan alright. #epic_purplefail.

59. If thinking I’m a Viking fan makes you sleep better at night….I’ve been called worse..today even

I’m not embarrassed. It’s the packer fans I have to deal with daily that embarrass themselves.

Your friends across country don’t see it cuz they aren’t dealing with the ineptitude in wisconsin like I am.

60. pkrh8tr says:
    Mar 6, 2017 5:17 PM

//////////////////////////////////////

Maybe it’s you. Yup. It’s you.