Myles Garrett wants to be top pick, says he’ll apologize to Browns for video

Getty Images

Former Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett feels he came to the NFL Scouting Combine with a chance to make himself the No. 1 overall pick in next month’s draft, and when Garrett talked to reporters Saturday he admitted he’d like to be the top pick.

It [would show] I’m the top dog, at least from the beginning,” Garrett said. “But once I’m in the NFL I can’t hang my hat on that. I’ve got to keep on rising.”

Asked what he felt he had to do to be the No. 1 pick, Garrett said “dominate here and not make any more crazy videos.”

Garrett’s on-field workout at the NFL Scouting Combine will be Sunday morning.

The Browns, who hold the No. 1 pick, probably feel obliged to ask Garrett about the video that surfaced on ESPN.com in which Garrett jokingly asked the Cowboys, his hometown team, to draft him. Garrett said he had a formal interview planned with the Browns Saturday night and planned to offer an apology for that video during the meeting. He also called that video his biggest regret.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Myles Garrett wants to be top pick, says he’ll apologize to Browns for video”
  1. couchbasher says: Mar 4, 2017 4:58 PM

Too late…. Also. It’s not just about YOU being great and getting padi. It’s about winning a Super Bowl, being a good teammate.

2. rodgerstonelson says: Mar 4, 2017 4:59 PM

Dude, just own it. No one wants to be drafted by the Browns.

3. faithful49er707 says: Mar 4, 2017 5:04 PM

Video or no video

He’s going to the team that drafts him and the team that picks him could careless about what he or his agent think or would prefer as his team preference.

Personally I’d trade down and take Barnett. He had Double digit sacks every season at Tennessee.

Or even Allen of Alabama. Good run stopper and pass rush. Can play all along interior

4. BIGGSHAUN says: Mar 4, 2017 5:04 PM

Apologize for what? The Browns being thin-skinned?

Most people would want to play for their hometown team, and saying so isn’t a crime.

If anything, the Browns should apologize to him for ruining his career.

5. waynefontesismyfather says: Mar 4, 2017 5:05 PM

This guy is such a tool he puts Craftsmen to shame! That pleading video he did was just flat dumb.

It would be wrong of me to wish he blow out both his knees getting out of bed tomorrow morning, but I’d never stoop so low to actually wish that…

6. revren10 says: Mar 4, 2017 5:17 PM

he is gonna be a bust only wants the money no heart

7. absolutevisuals says: Mar 4, 2017 5:19 PM

Watch what you wish for. He wants to be top pick because he sees the commas and how much his life can change with it. But it’s just money, you’re still human.

Is he really ready for the misery that’s the Browns organization? No!

8. dukeblue12 says: Mar 4, 2017 5:27 PM

The Browns never took the video seriously anyway, no need to apologize

9. browns2014man says: Mar 4, 2017 5:28 PM

Seen this movie before. No heart or work ethic. Wants to be #1 overall so he can hang his hat on that and get paid then get fat and lazy. Book it.

10. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 4, 2017 5:32 PM

If it looks like a dork, talks like a dork, and acts like a dork…..

11. RE LEE says: Mar 4, 2017 5:33 PM

Talks too much.

12. bassplucker says: Mar 4, 2017 5:34 PM

He kinda looks like Brandon Marshall. I hope that’s the only resemblance.

13. reptar310 says: Mar 4, 2017 5:35 PM

I’d pull on Eli Manning and refuse to go to Cleveland. I’m not even kidding, they have been the worst team in the NFL for almost 2 decades now for a reason.

14. Jerry Stevens says: Mar 4, 2017 5:40 PM

No one cares about the video. Hell, I’m from Cleveland and I’m not bothered by it. I expect the Browns will take him first as well they should.

15. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 4, 2017 5:50 PM

People are way to thin skinned in the US these days.

Oh no, he made a video saying he wanted to play for the team he’s been a fan of since he was a little kid, its a national crisis !

There’s not the slightest thing wrong with that.

16. omeimontis says: Mar 4, 2017 6:13 PM

The Browns will probably trade that pick and receive multiple picks in exchange. They need a QB more than a DE.

17. realfootballfan says: Mar 4, 2017 6:17 PM

Everyone has been told that he’s the best player in the draft, so they have repeated that despite me being sure most people hardly was scrutinizing A&M’s defense the last few years. He stat stacked against mostly bad teams and disappeared against the better competition. He won’t be a bust, but he isn’t #1 good and sure isn’t Von Miller 2.0 as I’ve heard silly people parrot. It’s not like he’s been coached by some slouch the last couple of years either, so that’s no excuse either as Chief is as respected as they come at the college level. Foster will be the best player at the top of this draft unless he just has a freak injury. Bank on it. Athleticism, alpha mentality, and instincts don’t come rolled into one player like that guy but ever so often.

18. pushingiron says: Mar 4, 2017 6:19 PM

You people saying no heart and no work ethic don’t know anything about this kid. 33 reps of 225, most of you can’t do one rep at 270 he’s expected to run around a 4.5, 4.6. He’s a different cat, but he’s as solid on and off the field as there is . 31 teams are going to wish they would have done whatever it took to draft him. He’s putting up freakish numbers at the combine, and he is going to be very productive at the next level.

19. tonebones says: Mar 4, 2017 6:19 PM

The way the draft is set up, great players often get drafted by the worst teams.

20. u4iadman says: Mar 4, 2017 6:27 PM

Pats cheat.

21. droppedinagreasefire says: Mar 4, 2017 6:37 PM

The Clowns should apologize to evertbody.

22. tunechi90 says: Mar 4, 2017 6:46 PM

This guy will be a beast, pair him with OLB Jamie Collins, NT Danny Sheldon & OLB Omanuel Ogbah [2nd Round Pick 2016] – and the Browns front 7 actually has some nice young talent.

23. gbrim20 says: Mar 4, 2017 6:58 PM

He should pull a Reuben Foster and get in the Browns’ face.

Watch the video, he’s just messing around. He shouldn’t have said it, but this is a non-story. Von Miller also said he wanted to be drafted by the Cowboys. Broncos didn’t pass on him and are glad they didn’t.

24. itswhereyourmindsat says: Mar 4, 2017 7:02 PM

Over privileged millennial. Smh

25. 6ball says: Mar 4, 2017 7:13 PM

There’s a rumor that someone from Washington State wanted to play for the Seahawks. Luckily for us, Ted Wells is on site.

26. thetooloftools says: Mar 4, 2017 7:17 PM

Dear Mr. Garrett, We fans here in Cleveland are looking for leaders and producers. We are desperately seeking young talent to step up and start their own tradition of winning, planting their own flag, and make their mark on this town and franchise.
    We have been a DISGRACE to the NFL for far too long.
    As a rookie you will have a role.
    Please just give us hope.
    We don’t care what you posted on social media if you come up hereand start YOUR legacy and get crackin’.
    Signed
    Browns Nation

27. stexan says: Mar 4, 2017 7:18 PM

An Aggie. Apologizing to the Browns.
    Strange times indeed.

28. exinsidetrader says: Mar 4, 2017 7:35 PM

Any other student leaving University can decide for whom they want to work, but not a football player in the NFL.

I would be upset too if I was told if I wanted to play in the NFL I was being FORCED to live and work in Cleveland. Nothing wrong with the people of Cleveland, other than they keep electing people that make their City a bad place to live and keep supporting a team with incompetent management.

29. ezpkns34 says: Mar 4, 2017 7:53 PM

He’s definitely not the only one who’d prefer not to be drafted by the Browns, how can that possibly be news?

30. tylawspick6 says: Mar 4, 2017 8:05 PM

this guy is a tool’s tool

31. jimmysee says: Mar 4, 2017 8:32 PM

Maybe there’s trade out there between the Browns and ‘Boys.

Swap firsts, and Dallas can also throw in a second or a third and fourth.

32. thisoneguy1 says: Mar 4, 2017 8:34 PM

harrisonhits2 says:
    There’s not the slightest thing wrong with that.

I’ll admit it’s not the biggest deal in the world — not by a long shot. Lots of players in the past have expressed an interest in playing for their favorite team.
    But he didn’t stop there. He’s not even an NFL player yet, but he addressed an NFL owner by his first name and then proceeded to tell that owner which players currently under contract should be traded in order to get his rights.
    That crossed a little but of a line. Hardly a national crisis, but not as innocuous as you would have us believe, either.

33. dg0122 says: Mar 4, 2017 8:35 PM

Overrated, disappeared against better competition. Doesn’t play the run well. Lamb killer. Pass

34. Bloodfart says: Mar 4, 2017 8:37 PM

It’s like rex ryan gave birth to this guys mouth. No idea when to shut up at all.

35. jerseyshoregiant says: Mar 4, 2017 8:47 PM

You don’t need to apologize to the Browns. You should apologize for calling the Cowboys owner by his first name and calling the coach Mr. Garrett.

36. fullbacksarepeopletoo says: Mar 4, 2017 9:01 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with him wanting to be drafted by his hometown team. Hell, I would LOVE to play Fullback for the Baltimore Ravens. I’d say that in the most professional way I possibly could, as well. In the back of my mind, I’m thinking Jesus it would suck to be a Brown. But I’d play for whoever drafted me.

37. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Mar 4, 2017 9:01 PM

Stop being PC. What’s wrong with a player wishing he would be drafted by his favorite team….

The Browns. I feel sorry for him if he’s stuck in that hell hole…

38. granadafan says: Mar 4, 2017 10:21 PM

I would love to have heard the admonishment his agent gave him after the video came out. This is all damage control now. If he’s too dumb and arrogant to listen to his PR team, then he’s going to be a major diva in a few years. Get paid and be lazy. Mario Williams 2.0

39. bigbenisabigbaby says: Mar 4, 2017 10:30 PM

exinsidetrader says:
    Mar 4, 2017 7:35 PM

—————————————————
    Yep, those incompetent leaders only landed the 2016 RNC and 2019 MLB all star game, rebuilt much of the downtown area, and managed to control 1.3 million Cavs fans packed the streets after winning the championship. But you’re right, who would want to live in a place that is home to some of the world’s top doctors who work at the country’s top healthcare system. Maybe you’re just scared to drive in the snow?

40. campcouch says: Mar 4, 2017 11:53 PM

I hope they take Trubisky just because. He probably sees how good the other guys are at the combine and for a talent starved team, that means anyone is on the board. I’ll guess the Browns could care less about an apology since they can pick whoever they want.

41. Bob says: Mar 5, 2017 2:18 AM

Another overrated Aggie defender. He was a non-factor as one-dimensional LSU rolled up 54 points and even threw for 300-plus yards as part of 622 total yards of offense on A&M’s sorry defense Thanksgiving night.

42. stipez says: Mar 5, 2017 9:50 AM

I want my employees to be competitive and want to be the best.

What I don’t want is people who feel their ideas aren’t important until they’re shared with the world.

I can’t wait for the privacy revolution

43. whatjusthapped says: Mar 5, 2017 10:34 AM

He should apologize…..for even thinking he might join the Cowboys. Exactly how many playoff games have the Cowboys won in the last decade?

44. mrfrostyj says: Mar 6, 2017 12:36 AM

I don’t recall the Browns ever saying anything about the video.

My thing is I love the fact that people really think these kids have a choice as to what team they go to. John Elway was a special case because he was a two sport athlete so he didn’t need football and made that clear (I either go where I want or don’t play at all). Eli Manning was a bargaining chip. If his last name wasn’t Manning with everyone and their mother (incorrectly) assuming he was going to have Paytons talent he probably would have dropped completely out of the first two rounds if he even got drafted at all especially since that draft had way better QB’s than him in it.

The thing they both had in common was not needing the money. You know, like why Johnny Manziel can get drafted to a team and party instead of actually show up to games. For the rest of the planet if someone offers you millions of dollars to play a game, you’re doing it and you’re grateful because that opportunity is short lived especially if you don’t play well once the season starts.

45. omeimontis says: Mar 6, 2017 10:54 AM

Will the 49ers pick an edge rusher or a QB with the #2 overall pick, or will they trade down for more picks.