Charles Johnson wants to bring Julius Peppers back to Carolina

Getty Images

The Panthers are all about keeping the band together on the defensive line this offseason, having franchise-tagged Kawann Short, and re-signed Charles Johnson, Mario Addison and Wes Horton already.

But Johnson wants them to go even deeper into the vault, and bring back his old mentor.

After signing a two-year deal to come back yesterday, Johnson said he was lobbying General Manager Dave Gettleman to bring unrestricted free agent Julius Peppers back to Charlotte.

“I’m super pumped,” Johnson said of the mass return, via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. That’s all my guys. Like I tell Gettleman and I tell (assistant general manager) Brandon Beane, just keep stacking the D-Line, keeping bringing in people for the D-line. I’ll even root for them to bring Pep back. If they can bring Julius back, I’m all for it.”

Johnson said he planned to make a call to Peppers, who wants to continue playing after his three-year stint in Green Bay. Peppers was the second overall pick of the Panthers in 2002 and is the team’s all-time sack leader with 81.0 (Johnson is second with 67.5).

“It’s just a personal opinion as a friend of his — I just want to see him retire as a Panther,” Johnson said. “I just think him coming back for a year and retiring as a Panther, what better career for him to have than to retire at his home?”

Peppers considered a homecoming in 2014, and Gettleman said last week he thought he was close to making it happen, before Green Bay swooped in at the end with a better offer.

But for both sides, the time might be right for a reunion this time.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Charles Johnson wants to bring Julius Peppers back to Carolina”
  1. youradarnfoo says: Mar 8, 2017 8:06 AM

Damn i remember when JP was a beast for the kittys. how time flies

2. thoughtlessintheextreme says: Mar 8, 2017 8:28 AM

If the Panthers are going to sign Peppers, I hope they do it soon.

I’d like to at least get the benefit of warmth from the fire I set to burn my Panthers gear while there is still some winter chill left in the air.

3. binkystevens says: Mar 8, 2017 8:46 AM

“Nah, I’ll stick with a winner”

– Pep

4. The Almighty Cabbage says: Mar 8, 2017 9:16 AM

I’d like to see him stay with the Packers but I won’t be at all hurt if he goes “home” to Carolina. For me, it would be like Charles Woodson returning “home” to the Raiders. Some things just seem right.

Whatever he ends up doing, I’ve enjoyed his time in Green Bay.

5. corkspop says: Mar 8, 2017 9:20 AM

Would be nice to see Peppers retire as a Panther, but winning games is more important than nostalgia. If he can beat out the next best player, go for it. Otherwise……. no.

6. jgedgar70 says: Mar 8, 2017 9:48 AM

We haven’t had much luck signing over-the-hill former Packers. Anyone remember us signing Doug Evans and Reggie White?

7. billh1947 says: Mar 8, 2017 9:57 AM

It would be nice to see Peppers go home and retire after one final farewell season.his contribution to the Packers went down because of age and limited playing time and they will not resign him so its now up to Carolina to make Peppers dream come true and that is a few more million in the bank and a very nice send off and retirement party in Charlotte.

8. questionableopinion says: Mar 8, 2017 10:20 AM

The Packers need to focus their cap space on resigning their own guys like Lang, Cook, and Hyde and signing a starting quality CB in free agency, so Peppers is probably not a priority. Peppers will probably get decent money considering how much cap space is floating around the NFL. Going back to Carolina would make sense.

9. fmc651 says: Mar 8, 2017 10:29 AM

I heard they want to bring back the Captain too.

10. pancaketaco says: Mar 8, 2017 10:52 AM