Torrey Smith says his time with 49ers was “terrible”

Getty Images

Torrey Smith left the Ravens to sign a five-year, $40 million contract with the 49ers in 2015, but he was cut this week after just two seasons. He now sounds like he wishes he never left.

Back in Baltimore, Smith talked to CSN Mid-Atlantic and said he liked the people in San Francisco but hated the overall experience, in which the 49ers went 7-25 and he totaled just 53 catches for 930 yards in two years.

Smith will now look for a new team — one that won’t pay him as much as the 49ers, but one that he hopes will feature him in the offense more.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories, Videos
37 Responses to “Torrey Smith says his time with 49ers was “terrible””
  1. bigmikeskinsfan says: Mar 8, 2017 11:20 AM

light that bridge up, Torrey!! You and Colin should be teammates in Canada soon enough!

2. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Mar 8, 2017 11:22 AM

He loved that paycheck though

3. 513guy says: Mar 8, 2017 11:22 AM

No surprise considering the 49ers are a complete dumpster fire.

4. waynefontesismyfather says: Mar 8, 2017 11:23 AM

I’ve never played for the 49ers but I can safely state my time there would have been terrible too. Everyone’s is.

5. tylawspick6 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:23 AM

You chose to sign there for the most money. Your loss.

6. 6thsense10 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:27 AM

tylawspick6 says:
    Mar 8, 2017 11:23 AM
    You chose to sign there for the most money. Your loss.
    —-
    I’m sure Torrey is wiping his tears with one of his many dollar bills. He will be ok.

7. niners816 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:32 AM

Yeah they sucked the last 2 years for sure. They paid him for 5 years, and they pick up Kerley from a trade for peanuts and Kerley ends up getting an extension and Smith gets thrown to the curb. Kerley worked his tail off and earned it, Smith just collected a check and got bounced. Smith can complain all he wants but he sucked and he’s salty about it. The Niners sucked so bad and you weren’t even good enough to stay with the team. Later, Torrey, you won’t be missed.

8. deman951 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:33 AM

Might be worth a look by the Bucs. Two years younger than DeSean Jackson, and would cost a lot less.

9. bigfaketdsinmyface says: Mar 8, 2017 11:34 AM

“Loved the locker room, loved my teammates and I loved both coaching staffs I was involved with as well.”

That basically leaves you, ‘Niner Nation. Even your players think you’re pathetic.

10. captainspangled says: Mar 8, 2017 11:37 AM

Well duh

That’s what happens when you move to thw liberal nightmare that is California

11. redrobots44 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:41 AM

Why do people express vitriol towards athletes who take the most money? Its not like he trashed Baltimore on his way out, he just took the best opportunity for him. I would like to know how “loyalty” is paying the bills for the salty commenters….

12. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:47 AM

“Good thing they hired a GM with zero front-office experience to work out the kinks.”

Not sure it would matter if they were able to get Bill Belichick with Jed York still running the team.

As to Smith he “loved” everything out there but his time was terrible. He was a good player with the Ravens but sounds like he made very minimal effort in SF.

13. bert1913 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:48 AM

Santa Clara has to over pay to get players to sign with them

14. seabrawk12 says: Mar 8, 2017 11:57 AM

Well Torrey, now that you are gone you can honestly say that you “have it better.”

15. breadmeatcheese says: Mar 8, 2017 11:58 AM

yep took the money from a crummy team, and said team has now lowered your value, without even paying you all the money you signed for.

so financially it all evens out, but you had to waste two years losing, and not playing.

this one is on you torrey.

#nosympathy #boofrikkityhoo

16. jmc8888 says: Mar 8, 2017 12:02 PM

Who was throwing to Torrey Smith?

Deep threats not only need an accurate QB, but a line that allows deep threats to well… get deep. The 49ers had neither. 49er fans know that all to well. But seem to forget that now that he’s released.

So 49ers fans trashing him are trashing the wrong people. They just want a scapegoat. Good luck with that.

Torrey Smith wasn’t the problem, and people dogging him are missing the point.

It’s funny when things go south, people want to blame anyone and throw them under the bus. Hope it feels good, because you lost a good deep threat. But I guess Shanny’s got his Redskins boys he wants to pay even MORE to.

Good luck with that. Still no QB. Still no line.

17. piratefreedom says: Mar 8, 2017 12:08 PM

The kind of team that overpays people isn’t the kind of team you will win many games on.
    e.g. Revis was able to squeeze a fortune out of the Jets but he had to go to New England to get a ring.

I would never criticize someone for taking the bigger check though, as far as organizational failures go paying me too much money would be my favorite one.

After you’ve piled up a Revis sized money pile you can worry about winning but for most players they need to maximize their earnings because careers are short and can end any time.

18. shoutin' get off my lawn says: Mar 8, 2017 12:09 PM

I was listening to some fantasy football analysis last week, and the hosts pointed out that “At least the 49ers still have a deep threat in Torrey Smith.”

Not anymore! Kerley is not a deep threat. They now have nobody to stretch the field.

19. pau49ers says: Mar 8, 2017 12:10 PM

________________________________________
    He was okay on a good baltimore team. He had 1 – 1,000 yard season. But Boldin is old and he still better than him.

20. ninetysixer says: Mar 8, 2017 12:14 PM

remember the morons who bashed Ozzie for letting him go?

21. floriosnuts says: Mar 8, 2017 12:14 PM

Silly Torrey don’t you know that pro athletes are always supposed to make the most money they can due to short duration of their careers. Just read what is on this site. Only an idiot would take the dreaded ‘home town discount’ to stay with a quality program an build up what they have accomplished the last few years.

22. rrhoe says: Mar 8, 2017 12:20 PM

Why do the 49ers keep getting high priced receivers with no QB to get them the ball????

23. ravenmadnky says: Mar 8, 2017 12:21 PM

I’d welcome him back in Baltimore, over Wallace, for the cap savings alone. But we need a possession receiver, and it looks like we won’t even get a sniff of Marshall or Garcon.

24. backuppunter says: Mar 8, 2017 12:31 PM

he looked so dangerous in baltimore. His deep routes were sick!

25. savethebs says: Mar 8, 2017 12:34 PM

Yeah he took a paycheck but that team was just coming off a SB appearance a couple years before that & had a competent HC. Then they fire him & the dumpster fire begins. Can’t blame him. I think he could be a nice pickup for cheap for some team.

26. harleywoman883 says: Mar 8, 2017 12:35 PM

Torrey said he had good relationships with 49ers coaching staff and teammates. He said it was a terrible time because he didn’t play enough and wasn’t involved in the overall plan for the offense. Those are two separate things, and he’s being honest on both counts. 49ers fans should direct their anger at Chip Kelly, Jed York,and Colin Kaepernick, where it belongs.

27. 4512dawg4512 says: Mar 8, 2017 12:37 PM

Easy now Torrey…. you just might be H.O.F eligible one day and the morons on the voting committee are making a list and checking it twice. So watch what you say about that team

28. abninf says: Mar 8, 2017 12:42 PM

Just living in that area would have been terrible. Not that Baltimore is a paradise, either.

29. jamarcuslives says: Mar 8, 2017 12:43 PM

“Last few years were terrible professionally, you know? Football, it wasn’t fun,” he said. “Wasn’t very involved, so it wasn’t a fun two years as a player, but had some great relationships with a lot of people out there. Loved the locker room, loved my teammates and I loved both coaching staffs I was involved with as well so it just was I came in at the wrong time but I’m still thankful for the opportunity that they gave me.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I thought great locker rooms and great teammates meant great teams. Looks like SF needs so more T.O. types.

30. rufustfireflyjr says: Mar 8, 2017 12:57 PM

Torrey, I just talked to the 49ers. They agreed with you

31. vicnocal says: Mar 8, 2017 1:14 PM

I’m sure he enjoyed that time he beat my crappy Bears in Chicago in 2015 though.

32. 12brichandfamous says: Mar 8, 2017 1:20 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is how many, many white collar, prodfessional jobs are filled. The question is can they learn and grow into it. If you think yes, then you hire them.

33. psubeerman21 says: Mar 8, 2017 1:25 PM

Try watching them

34. kfoyo808 says: Mar 8, 2017 1:26 PM

I wouldn’t mind if Eagles looked at him…at the right price point. WHICH IS NOT $8m per year…maybe $3-4m/yr on short term deal, 2-3 years.

35. PhD says: Mar 8, 2017 1:53 PM

The experience will always be terrible when you have a clueless GM and that would describe the situation during Torrey’s uneventful stay in San Fran.

36. guitarkevin says: Mar 8, 2017 1:59 PM

Welcome back to B-More. We know how Joe is with his old buddies.

37. GrantRodgers says: Mar 8, 2017 2:09 PM

Smith is a model player as far as character and off the field is concerned, but the truth is, on the field he was a one trick pony. He’s lost a step and has never been a true #1 receiver the Niners were paying him to be. Win win for both sides.