Philly Brown signs with Bills

Getty Images

The Bills have added a wide receiver after losing a pair in the opening days of free agency.

The team announced that they have signed former Panthers wideout Philly Brown. Brown wasn’t tendered by Carolina as a restricted free agent and visited with the Lions before signing in Buffalo, where he’ll play for former Panthers defensive coordinator and new Bills head coach Sean McDermott.

Brown had 79 catches for 1,019 yards and seven touchdowns over the last three seasons with the Panthers. He also did some kick and punt returning as a rookie, but hasn’t done either the last two years.

Marquise Goodwin and Robert Woods will both be playing in the NFC West next season, which leaves Brown, Sammy Watkins, Walter Powell, Kolby Listenbee and Dezmin Lewis as the receivers under contract for the Bills.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Philly Brown signs with Bills”
  1. kreplachistan says: Mar 12, 2017 4:56 PM

Signed a #3 or #4 WR in Brown to replace a #3 or #4 WR in Goodwin…

I’ve seen worse.

2. bvolke says: Mar 12, 2017 4:56 PM

Bank on the Bills taking a wideout with their first pick.

3. barsfordays says: Mar 12, 2017 4:59 PM

This dude can fly. Puzzling to me why Carolina didn’t keep him. Arguably more valuable than Ted Ginn – younger, more elusive, hands can be questionable but he’s good in space. Good move here for the Bills. This kid can really stretch a defense.

4. mclennon99 says: Mar 12, 2017 5:02 PM

With all due respect to Philly (the guy, not the city lol), I sure as hell hope McDermott doesn’t have this guy pegged as our #2 receiver.

5. pantherfan4life says: Mar 12, 2017 5:07 PM

Good luck in buffalo. Sorry to see him go. Hard worker and great to fans.

6. runningoutofboundsisforgringos says: Mar 12, 2017 5:11 PM

He arrived in a KUNGA car

7. timmyp716 says: Mar 12, 2017 5:30 PM

Wow, what an un-appetizing list of recievers. I already can’t wait for next season to be over.

8. corkspop says: Mar 12, 2017 5:53 PM

Good, fast receiver. Better than Marquis Goodwin. This is an upgrade.

9. EJ says: Mar 12, 2017 6:05 PM

Brown is a slower Goodwin… He’s quick, but not Goodwin quick. The Brown/Goodwin comparison is with the suspect hands… they both struggle a bit with catching, but when they do catch the ball in open space, watch out.

This signing is more about depth than it is filling the starting roster.

Hopefully the Bills land Mike Williams or Cooper Kupp or both!

10. rabidbillsfan says: Mar 12, 2017 6:44 PM

I’m not a fan of Mike Williams, so I really hope this doesn’t signal a WR being taken at 10. Ideally I’d like to see Justin Hunter back and playing opposite of Sammy with a rookie addition to the slot. Not saying Hunter is great, but the guy wasn’t a 1st Ed pick for nothing, and has proven tombs a solid red-zone target.

11. mustangqb9 says: Mar 12, 2017 8:02 PM

Every time I see Philly Brown in a headline I think those two teams have done another trade with each other

12. mclennon99 says: Mar 12, 2017 11:55 PM

I’m expecting at least one more veteran WR to be signed along with possibly Hunter and Listenbee to return.

That #10 spot is looking more and more like either TE OJ Howard or David Nojoku.

I wonder if Charles Clay could be transformed into a receiver…hmmm…