Back with Panthers, Captain Munnerlyn said trash talk was “out of fun”

Getty Images

The Panthers brought Captain Munnerlyn back home because he’s good at playing slot corner, and they needed someone who was.

But the thing he might be better at is talking, and when you deal in words in volume the way he does, some of them might eventually come back to bite you.

When Munnerlyn was with the Vikings, he made several critical comments toward his old team, which is now his new team again.

“I’ve been in that locker room before, so I knew,” he said after the Vikings came back to beat the Panthers last year. “Those guys really don’t play well when they are down.”

Last weekend upon his return, he knew he’d have to explain.

“You guys know me — I’m very competitive. It was always out of fun,” Munnerlyn said, via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. “When it got out there like that, I was like, ‘Man, no!’ I was trying to call coach [Steve] Wilks. I was like, ‘Coach, I didn’t mean it like that!’ He was like, ‘Nah, we got the message.’ But like I said, it was all out of fun to me. . . .

“I was on a different team and I was just speaking what I felt at that time. I wouldn’t say it was true, but at the same time, that’s how I felt.”

He also had some specific criticism of wide receiver Devin Funchess, who didn’t have a catch in that Week Three game in which the Panthers blew a lead.

“I think we just knew where [Kelvin] Benjamin was the whole time. Funchess, we weren’t worried about him,” Munnerlyn said then. “I never talk like this, but I don’t think he is that good, No. 17.”

But since he does talk like that, and now has to share a locker room with No. 17, he knows he’ll have to make amends.

“I probably will,” he said. “But we’re definitely going to compete against each other. I’m sure he’s going to want to prove me wrong, and at the same time, I don’t mind that. If I can bring the best out of you, I’m down for that. I’m sure we’ll have a lot of battles.”

That kind of fighting spirit is part of what the Panthers were looking for this offseason, as much as guys who fill specific roles on the field.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Back with Panthers, Captain Munnerlyn said trash talk was “out of fun””
  1. monsterscream says: Mar 13, 2017 8:17 AM

first to comment which proves nobody truly cares about the Panthers, but this is a winning football attitude form this young man.

2. whatjusthapped says: Mar 13, 2017 8:18 AM

Its a simple explanation, he was with the Vikings when he made those comments, the most classless, tasteless, and unprofessional teams in the NFL.

3. maniac1956 says: Mar 13, 2017 8:22 AM

Talk is cheap, but you can’t take it back, Cap’n!

4. minnesotamuggs says: Mar 13, 2017 8:25 AM

Really wish he could have stayed in the purple; he’s earned a nice contract. Good luck, Captain.

5. thoughtlessintheextreme says: Mar 13, 2017 8:29 AM

“It was always out of fun”

No. It was always out of “who’s signing my paychecks.”

6. junkmtb says: Mar 13, 2017 8:30 AM

Nah thats a lie! He meant that last year but all good you’re back in a Panther uniform now so continue damage control Cap! LOL

7. fmc651 says: Mar 13, 2017 8:50 AM

I am sure if the Panthers play the Vikings soon he will talk about the Vikings too. Players talk. Good luck in Carolina Captain.

8. fmc651 says: Mar 13, 2017 8:52 AM

whatjusthapped says:
    Mar 13, 2017 8:18 AM
    )))))))))))))
    Simple explanation you are a packer troll. Stop with your nonsense here. Don’t you ever get tired of trolling every Vikings story? Pathetic really. Get help.

9. stellarperformance says: Mar 13, 2017 9:04 AM

He’s like the Viking fans……..talking smack and always trying to pick a fight.

He’ll be missed.

10. leatherface2012 says: Mar 13, 2017 9:22 AM

OK, SO THATS CAPTAIN MUNNERLYN…..WHAT DID LT. DAN HAVE TO SAY?

11. fmc651 says: Mar 13, 2017 9:24 AM

nonstellar you are trolling here “talking smack” on every Vikings story. I do not read packer stories or comment there. Stick to your packers and we never speak. I like the sound of that.

12. gaiussallistius says: Mar 13, 2017 9:45 AM

I love the Vikings, and I think that the rivalry between the Packers and the Vikings is excellent; however, the comment’s section of every post that is even remotely related to the Vikings or the Packers descends into the most puerile, idiotic, and annoying troll session.

If mocking faceless and anonymous posters is your jam, cool–I guess. But, for the rest of us, it’s annoying.

13. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 13, 2017 9:51 AM

He’s right though. The Panthers get down and “Superman” pouts and sulks on the sideline knowing full well he doesn’t have the mental toughness to bring his team back.

14. ak185 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:50 PM

How not to apologize, 101….

15. ffeineandsugar says: Mar 16, 2017 4:21 PM

Would have loved to see the Captain in Baltimore – he’s a great special teams player as well. Oh well, good luck in Carolina!