Cowboy-turned-Bronco Ronald Leary: I’m not recruiting Tony Romo

Getty Images

Offensive lineman Ronald Leary is on the move from Dallas to Denver, but if a higher-profile player is going to follow him, Leary isn’t aware of it.

Asked if he’ll recruit quarterback Tony Romo to Denver, Leary said he wouldn’t, and as far as he’s concerned the Broncos’ quarterbacks are Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch.

“Nah, I’m definitely not a recruiter. I’m not getting caught up in that at all,” Leary said. “Tony’s a great guy. He was a great teammate with me in Dallas, but I’m in Denver now. We have two great young quarterbacks in Trevor and Paxton. I watched them last year, they’re getting better. They’re young and have bright futures.”

That’s been the company line out of Denver all offseason: They’ll have a training camp competition between Siemian and Lynch, and they’re not talking about anyone else. Perhaps that will change at some point, but right now the folks in Denver aren’t talking about Romo.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Cowboy-turned-Bronco Ronald Leary: I’m not recruiting Tony Romo”
  1. ak185 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:22 PM

Judging from his comments last year, I doubt Ronald Leary wants anything more to do with Dallas. Not saying he dislikes or would even be opposed to Romo, I just highly doubt he wants to go out of his way to deal with the Cowboys.

2. xavier179 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:26 PM

It must be the thin air that causes this thinking, because Siemian and Lynch have backup written all over them.

3. crik911 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:28 PM

Well you should be, that team needs a qb in the worst way. I wonder if there will be much of a defensive fall off without Wade Phillips in the building. That schemer always comes up with a way to stop the opposing qb.

4. jjackwagon says: Mar 13, 2017 12:37 PM

No reason to recruit a guy that will see less than half of the offensive snaps this year.

5. mrone50 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:40 PM

Good answer

6. MD says: Mar 13, 2017 12:43 PM

That’s the right response: He’s not paid to be a GM.

Just Do Your Job.

7. coloradocowboy says: Mar 13, 2017 12:51 PM

MDS,

Your headline makes it sound as if Leary doesn’t want Romo. As in, it is a negative remark from Leary.

There is a HUGE difference between “I’m not trying to get him.” and “I don’t do that stuff.”

Just saying.

8. erod22 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:52 PM

Well, without Romo, you’re going absolutely nowhere, and those old vets will only get a year older.

9. omeimontis says: Mar 13, 2017 12:55 PM

He cannot “recruit” Romo because that may be tampering. The Broncos have not closed the door to the possibility that they would sign him after he is cut, but they almost certainly won’t trade for him because that would mean giving up draft picks, or players and they also have to pay him what he is owed for this season, unless the Cowboys agree to pay part of that (which would be unlikely).

10. pastabelly says: Mar 13, 2017 12:57 PM

Why should Leary risk a relationship with Siemian or Lynch? He’s handling this perfectly.

11. kcchefs58 says: Mar 13, 2017 12:59 PM

Remember when Broncos fans thought Sanchez would be serviceable last season, since their defense was dominant? Yeah, me too. (I’ll happily take the inevitable “how many SBs have you had in the last 40 years?’ comments and the like)

12. TheDPR says: Mar 13, 2017 1:00 PM

I think you roll with Siemian another year while also trying to coach up Lynch. Neither are as bad as the reputation paints them. Priority on offense should be to fix the OL. When you have no running game and weak pass protection you’re QB is going to struggle.

13. ak185 says: Mar 13, 2017 1:22 PM

Nobody ever thought Sanchez would be serviceable. Don’t let your love for the Chiefs get in the way of the truth, though.

14. isleptwithoj says: Mar 13, 2017 1:36 PM

Elway brought in Butt fumble as journey man insurance. His hand picked coach, Kubiak, liked Treaver bettet. TS was ok, behind a horrific OL that beat the hell out of him.

ElWay is sold on Lynch, just as he was on Brock Oz. These are questionable decisions by Elway but to his benefit, not ready to pull the plug. John has done a great job for Denver as GM, but again, it’s always what have you done lately. The recent fa for Denver does not appear promising g.